Prepaid iPhone for Light User

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
DTalos

Prepaid iPhone for Light User

Post by DTalos » Thu May 09, 2019 7:20 pm

For the past year, I have been using a Samsung J3 Luna Pro on a Tracfone HSN deal where you get a phone and one year of service for around $80. It's my first smartphone and it wasn't too bad to figure out how to use it, although my Mac Mini and Amazon Fire table are easier to use. I like the size, screen clarity and quality of this Samsung phone. What's frustrating is how difficult it is to delete or disassociate from the Google. It seems like the phone always wants to log-in to Google this or that when I press a button, even when I receive a text or phone message. Even after I changed the setting to have the least amount of tracking and "smart" stuff on, I feel like this phone wants to track or spy on me LOL.

What is using an iPhone SE or 6S like compared to this Samsung? Are there under $100 a year phone/text/data plans available with an iPhone similar to the HSN Tracfone deals?

The service on my Tracfone ends soon and I don't know whether to renew it or switch to an iPhone with a inexpensive light duty phone/text/data plan?

runner3081

Re: Prepaid iPhone for Light User

Post by runner3081 » Thu May 09, 2019 9:10 pm

How much data do you need?

Topic Author
DTalos

Post by DTalos » Thu May 09, 2019 9:37 pm

runner3081 wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 9:10 pm
How much data do you need?
Not much at all. I have only used .5gb in one year due to wifi.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Thu May 09, 2019 10:17 pm

Check out Tello.

You can grab 200 minutes, unlimited free texts and 200mb of data (unlimited data at 201mb+ 2G speeds) for $9 per month = $108.00 per year.

https://tello.com/buy/custom_plans

ddd

Post by ddd » Thu May 09, 2019 11:17 pm

My family of 3 phones with Tello paid a total of $50 for 2018. all pay-as-you-go, zero minutes pre-purchased.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Thu May 09, 2019 11:17 pm

DTalos wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 7:20 pm

What is using an iPhone SE or 6S like compared to this Samsung? Are there under $100 a year phone/text/data plans available with an iPhone similar to the HSN Tracfone deals?

The service on my Tracfone ends soon and I don't know whether to renew it or switch to an iPhone with a inexpensive light duty phone/text/data plan?
My wife and I each migrated from Tracfone Android phones to Tracfone iPhone SEs about a year and a half ago and we have no complaints. Our existing minutes/texts/data transferred to our new iPhone SEs which we purchased at a local Target store for $199 each. These iPhones were advertised as being compatible with Tracfone. We had no problem switching over to the iPhones with our existing Tracfone plans.

We’re on the “Triple Minutes For Life” auto-renewal plan where every three months we’re each billed $19.56 (tax included) so we’re each paying $6.52 a month or $78.24 per year.

We’re on the sixty minutes plan but with the tripling we each get 180 minutes / 180 texts / 180 MB of data every quarter. We’re light users so that’s more than enough. The mins/texts/data never expire as long as we keep up the quarterly payments which are automatically charged to our CC. Since we’re light users it just keeps building up. And if we ever do run short we can of course buy more airtime and since we’re on the triple plan everything’s always tripled.

SoAnyway

Post by SoAnyway » Fri May 10, 2019 1:50 am

OP, as far as the "spying" concern (I have the same) you need to distinguish between (1) the device vs. (2) the phone service/plan vs. (3) the apps you're using on the phone - which unsurprisingly - will likely have a relationship with Apple/Google/Amazon/whomever.

Sadly, until our scholars in Congress and the White House step up - and catch up to the 21st century tech - EACH of us is the CEO of our own data privacy. 'Nuff said, since forum rules forbid further discussion.
Nothing in this post constitutes legal or medical advice. | Consult your attorney or physician to verify if/how anything stated might or might not be applicable to your specific situation.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Fri May 10, 2019 5:29 am

going cheap is good though a cell phone can be a lifeline IMO. If you're stranded by the roadside due to breakdown or in the ER w/ a loved one, you'll prob wish you have more minutes/data to make the infinite # of calls required to manage a situation. Something to think about.
Long is the way and hard, that out of Hell leads up to light.

student

Post by student » Fri May 10, 2019 5:35 am

If you have xfinity cable or internet, bring your iphone and get service essentially free. viewtopic.php?t=220754

Heidi1

Post by Heidi1 » Fri May 10, 2019 7:49 am

Red Pocket has a $60 annual plan for light use. You can add extras when needed. They also have good customer service.

Topic Author
DTalos

Post by DTalos » Fri May 10, 2019 8:47 am

Nicolas wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 11:17 pm
DTalos wrote:

My wife and I each migrated from Tracfone Android phones to Tracfone iPhone SEs about a year and a half ago and we have no complaints. Our existing minutes/texts/data transferred to our new iPhone SEs which we purchased at a local Target store for $199 each. These iPhones were advertised as being compatible with Tracfone. We had no problem switching over to the iPhones with our existing Tracfone plans.

We’re on the “Triple Minutes For Life” auto-renewal plan where every three months we’re each billed $19.56 (tax included) so we’re each paying $6.52 a month or $78.24 per year.

We’re on the sixty minutes plan but with the tripling we each get 180 minutes / 180 texts / 180 MB of data every quarter. We’re light users so that’s more than enough. The mins/texts/data never expire as long as we keep up the quarterly payments which are automatically charged to our CC. Since we’re light users it just keeps building up. And if we ever do run short we can of course buy more airtime and since we’re on the triple plan everything’s always tripled.

When you transferred your minutes, data, etc. to the new iPhone, was it merely a matter of placing transferring the SIM card or was there more involved? What was your user experience like on the iPhone compared to the Android?

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Fri May 10, 2019 9:40 am

DTalos wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 8:47 am
Nicolas wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 11:17 pm
DTalos wrote:

When you transferred your minutes, data, etc. to the new iPhone, was it merely a matter of placing transferring the SIM card or was there more involved? What was your user experience like on the iPhone compared to the Android?
I didn’t do anything with SIM cards, everything was done on the Tracfone end. They just moved our minutes etc. over to the new phones on their end and activated them.

We like our iPhones a lot more, better experience, better privacy/security with the Apple system, I like that they’re locked down. I quadrupled my internal memory and my wife octupled hers. We have 32GB of memory in our SEs. We also like the small form-factor. I carry mine in my shirt pocket. Unfortunately SEs are no longer in production as you probably know. But I read on Apple Insider they may be coming back with OLED displays, that’s the rumor anyway.
Last edited by Nicolas on Fri May 10, 2019 10:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MrBeaver

Post by MrBeaver » Fri May 10, 2019 10:48 am

I recommend Mint Mobile: https://www.mintmobile.com/plans/

It doesn't fit your <$100/year request (more like $180-$200 for their cheapest 3GB plan), but in my opinion is the best inexpensive 'normal user' iPhone service provider. It is T-mobile network instead of AT&T or Verizon, so it's better for people in metro areas vs very remote. They are the only MVNO I've found which supports iPhone's visual voicemail and also allows data tethering to other devices for <$40/month – their cheapest plan is $15/month.