Wooden double hung windows are stuck

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
kalrocmk

Wooden double hung windows are stuck

Post by kalrocmk » Thu May 09, 2019 11:50 am

Any ideas as to how I can prevent them from sticking. I was able to open a few of them but they getting stuck. I can usually pry them open and they slide up and down fine. But if I keep them closed for some time, they get stuck again. I suspect that the paint on the wood causes them to stick to each other. Any ideas as to what I can try to prevent them from sticking.
Just trying to make a living

Sandtrap

Re: Wooden double hung windows are stuck

Post by Sandtrap » Thu May 09, 2019 11:51 am

kalrocmk wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 11:50 am
Any ideas as to how I can prevent them from sticking. I was able to open a few of them but they getting stuck. I can usually pry them open and they slide up and down fine. But if I keep them closed for some time, they get stuck again. I suspect that the paint on the wood causes them to stick to each other. Any ideas as to what I can try to prevent them from sticking.
pictures?
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

JoinToday

Post by JoinToday » Thu May 09, 2019 11:55 am

Maybe painted with Latex paint?

consider painting final coat with a non-latex clear coat (poly urethane maybe). or use oil based (alkyd) paint

I used the polyurethane as a final coat on shelves to address the sticking issue.
I wish I had learned about index funds 25 years ago

mhadden1

Post by mhadden1 » Thu May 09, 2019 12:02 pm

To help free the windows, you can use a cheap circular pizza cutter to run along the window, maybe inside and outside, to break the adhesion. Then I might take a stick of paraffin and rub along the contacting surfaces to try and lube things up a bit. No doubt others will suggest different, maybe better lubes.
Oh I can't, can I? That's what they said to Thomas Edison, mighty inventor, Thomas Lindberg, mighty flyer,and Thomas Shefsky, mighty like a rose.

tadamsmar

Post by tadamsmar » Thu May 09, 2019 12:07 pm

Candles wax is one remedy that most people have. Use a candle like a crayon to rub over the sliding parts. You might want to avoid rubbing the wick in, so you might what to cut or pull out the wick.

Paraffin also works and is not pigmented. I think you find it in a grocery store with canning supplies.

Silicone spray will work for a while.
Last edited by tadamsmar on Thu May 09, 2019 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic Author
kalrocmk

Post by kalrocmk » Thu May 09, 2019 3:44 pm

This is a prime example of how wonderful the community on this board is. Thank you all for your helpful suggestions. I will try them out and report back on how well it worked.

fru-gal

Post by fru-gal » Thu May 09, 2019 5:09 pm

Another vote for paraffin. It worked on my stuck wooden drawers.

celia

Post by celia » Thu May 09, 2019 5:12 pm

I've never done it, but read the parafin should be rubbed on the cable they slide on.

In your case, if sounds as if the painted areas (wood) need to be cleaned with a de-greaser so the edges don't stick together.

If really stuck:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HneJMmQ3ihc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsgivH6kbkk
Last edited by celia on Thu May 09, 2019 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Thu May 09, 2019 5:17 pm

Wax will help once you get them moving.

If painted shut try a small (~ 1.5" wide) sheet rock applicator.

dbr

Post by dbr » Thu May 09, 2019 5:31 pm

The sliding surfaces of double hung windows should not be painted. In my hundred year old house all the sliding surfaces are lined with interlocking zinc weatherstrip something like this: http://metalstrips.accurateweatherstrip ... amein-sash

Otherwise I imagine rubbing surfaces with paraffin wax will help.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Thu May 09, 2019 5:51 pm

kalrocmk wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 11:50 am
I was able to open a few of them but they getting stuck. I can usually pry them open and they slide up and down fine.
In my experience, this is a sign of too many layers of paint on the lower sash causing it to bind with the sill stop, especially when you say they slide up and down fine after you get it pried up. I would sand off the paint down to the wood in that area and apply a fresh coat of primer and paint. Then lubricate all the rubbing parts with wax.

Topic Author
kalrocmk

Post by kalrocmk » Fri May 10, 2019 9:18 am

Thank you for taking the time to post your replies. I may have not been clear about the issue. The windows I have tend to stick where the upper sash and the lower sash overlap. The two sashes stick to each other. once they are separated, they slide up and down fine without any problems. The locking latch is located in the middle and tends to pull the sashes together. As one poster suggested, I will try to sand them down and put a coat of polyurethane and see if that works.

Thank you again.

dbr

Post by dbr » Fri May 10, 2019 9:31 am

kalrocmk wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 9:18 am
Thank you for taking the time to post your replies. I may have not been clear about the issue. The windows I have tend to stick where the upper sash and the lower sash overlap. The two sashes stick to each other. once they are separated, they slide up and down fine without any problems. The locking latch is located in the middle and tends to pull the sashes together. As one poster suggested, I will try to sand them down and put a coat of polyurethane and see if that works.

Thank you again.
You might consider installing interlocking weatherstrip at those points if there is clearance. I am not sure painted surfaces using any kind of paint or varnish can be counted on not to stick when held under pressure for extended times.

The technical term for this problem is blocking, meaning the adherence of one painted surface to another painted surface when they are pressed together. Apparently the paint manufacturers claim certain paints are more blocking resistant than others, but I am not familiar with the details. Since this is commonly happening to you it is not because your paint was insufficiently dry, but it could be because the paint is too thick and should be scraped down or removed. A temporary fix that may help is to dust with talcum powder.