grubs and skunks

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
LearningAlot

grubs and skunks

Post by LearningAlot »

Skunks are feasting on grubs in my lawn and tearing up the lawn.
Looking for any best practices in dealing with this.

Thanks in advance!
cheese_breath

Re: grubs and skunks

Post by cheese_breath »

Grubex or similar product. Get rid of the grubs, and you get rid of the skunks.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
mtmingus

Post by mtmingus »

Milky spore.
forgeblast

Post by forgeblast »

We use milky spore and gardens alive beneficial nematode product. Seems to really cut down on them.
Yooper16

Post by Yooper16 »

Or --- get rid of your earthworms, or any other kind of buggy, slimey thing that thrives in your soil. They will also eat the tree fall apples etc.

Do you have grubs--- did you dig up sections of turf to verify?

They will eat whatever is available seasonally.

Milky Spore is the better alternative.
rkhusky

Post by rkhusky »

And are they Japanese Beetle grubs?
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

I use Grubex every year, have no longer any skunks tearing up my lawns, though had some mouse holes in one area.
jobiewan

Post by jobiewan »

Is there a commercial grub killer or a DIY concoction anyone is aware of that is safe for use in a veggie garden?
Seal the Deal

Post by Seal the Deal »

Moles will also tear up your yard feasting on the grubs. If they are Japanese beetle grubs milky spore will work fine. European chafer grubs or "June bugs" are more common around here and nematodes will take care of those. Milky spore and nematodes are natural products. Grubex or similar will also work but that will also kill off more beneficial bugs and I wouldn't want to use this with pets or kids around.
tmcc

Post by tmcc »

you need some owls to take down the skunks then some foxes to take down the owls. then you can make clothing out of the foxes. sell the clothing on ebay. then the circle of life is complete.
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

Others have nailed it. GrubX or live with moles, armadillos (Depending on locality) and any other animals that eat grubs.

Tim
sil2017

Post by sil2017 »

I had the same problem last October. Skunks sneaking into my back yard and digging for grubs.
Last week I sprinkled Scotts GrubX1 on my lawn. You need to do this soon. Early summer the latest. Otherwise it won't work. It doesn't kill adults.
If there are adults in your lawn in September/October, then you use Bayer grub 24 hour.
Carl53

Post by Carl53 »

Some years ago I used Grubex a few seasons. I still had moles but it sure got rid of the earthworms.

After trying several different mole traps, I've used this type with fairly good success. https://www.lehmans.com/product/mole-tr ... ZYEALw_wcB

We had skunks one summer when they started to develop land across the road. The house got sprayed once. I counted up to seven at one time in the front yard as I left to work early in the morning. They eventually moved on but did notice a lot of evidence of them digging for grubs while they were around.
Ron

Post by Ron »

Yooper16 wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 2:59 pm <snip...>Or --- get rid of your earthworms, or any other kind of buggy, slimey thing that thrives in your soil.
Actually, earthworms are quite beneficial to soil, and your lawn. Grubs (the larvae of insects) are not, however.

- Ron
Yooper16

Post by Yooper16 »

Ron wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 8:06 am
Yooper16 wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 2:59 pm <snip...>Or --- get rid of your earthworms, or any other kind of buggy, slimey thing that thrives in your soil.
Actually, earthworms are quite beneficial to soil, and your lawn. Grubs (the larvae of insects) are not, however.

- Ron
Sorry 'bout that. This was one of those cases where sarcasm didn't translate well.

People do need to come to the realization, that you will never defeat Mother Nature. Even if you "nuke" your soil and get rid of 100% of those nasty pests, whether grubs or spray the crapola out of your flowers etc because the chafers and other beetles are eating your blooms---Ma Nature still has won as you are now dealing with nutrient deprived soils or gardens denied the beneficial insects that eat the aphids, that suck the juices from the plant. And on and on---- ad nauseum.

Unfortunately we try to create the gardens and lawn etc., that we want, rather than accepting what will grow within the local ecology.
Yooper16

Post by Yooper16 »

Carl53 wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 7:44 am Some years ago I used Grubex a few seasons. I still had moles but it sure got rid of the earthworms.

After trying several different mole traps, I've used this type with fairly good success. https://www.lehmans.com/product/mole-tr ... ZYEALw_wcB

We had skunks one summer when they started to develop land across the road. The house got sprayed once. I counted up to seven at one time in the front yard as I left to work early in the morning. They eventually moved on but did notice a lot of evidence of them digging for grubs while they were around.
I may be misreading but supposedly Grub-ex has little effect on the worm population. It was the moles that took down the worms. A study I read many years ago, from a land grant Ag School(Purdue, Mich State, etc don't recall which anymore)) indicated that in dissection the amount of earthworm material found in a mole gut was generally much higher than grub material

The best way to get rid of moles is the trap you mentioned..

But don't kill you whole mole population as they are extremely important to the aeration of the soil--helps prevent compaction.
Carl53

Post by Carl53 »

Yooper16 wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 8:52 am
Carl53 wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 7:44 am Some years ago I used Grubex a few seasons. I still had moles but it sure got rid of the earthworms.

I may be misreading but supposedly Grub-ex has little effect on the worm population. It was the moles that took down the worms. A study I read many years ago, from a land grant Ag School(Purdue, Mich State, etc don't recall which anymore)) indicated that in dissection the amount of earthworm material found in a mole gut was generally much higher than grub material

But don't kill you whole mole population as they are extremely important to the aeration of the soil--helps prevent compaction.
Just my experience with Grubex, always lots of worms and moles and grubs until I used it for two years. Those years I noticed virtually no worms on the blacktop driveway subsequent to rains. Discontinued Grubex and worms are once again plentiful. After trapping for 15 years, the mole supply seems a little less than it was originally.

One mole is too many in a lawn. One can certainly aerate a large area. I seem to have a regular supply of several coming in from neighboring property that have ravines/streams on them. It is interesting that often they seem to reopen tunnels that I have tamped down even after a year using a tool similar to this https://www.zoro.com/bully-tools-tampin ... /G1274452/ , to pound the tunnel to perhaps two inches below grade. That particular tunnel has yielded probably a dozen or more moles over the last 10 years.
Yooper16

Post by Yooper16 »

Carl53 wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 1:02 pm
Yooper16 wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 8:52 am

Just my experience with Grubex, always lots of worms and moles and grubs until I used it for two years. Those years I noticed virtually no worms on the blacktop driveway subsequent to rains. Discontinued Grubex and worms are once again plentiful. After trapping for 15 years, the mole supply seems a little less than it was originally.

One mole is too many in a lawn. One can certainly aerate a large area. I seem to have a regular supply of several coming in from neighboring property that have ravines/streams on them. It is interesting that often they seem to reopen tunnels that I have tamped down even after a year using a tool similar to this https://www.zoro.com/bully-tools-tampin ... /G1274452/ , to pound the tunnel to perhaps two inches below grade. That particular tunnel has yielded probably a dozen or more moles over the last 10 years.
The moles are following exactly the pattern I have read about and experienced at a previous location-- using previous tunnels and coming from the ravines and woods etc. They also don't hibernate, they eat year round. Its just that they are below the surface in deeper tunnels. I also have had moles take out inground yellow jacket wasp nest.

Regarding the red highlighted-- seriously read up on mole habits-- they actually leave an area once the food sources has been reduced to a low level. They then come back a couple of years later. They are an amazing creature for what they do. With those tiny little paddle flippers, aren't you amazed at how quickly they can move and dig. You still won't like them and you will still trap them, but if you little a bit about them maybe it will be easier to take care of them.

Over those course of a number of years at a previous address, I probably trapped 5 dozen, mostly coming from the woods and ravine behind us. I now live on an island and no mole signs anywhere that I have seen.