Indian cookbooks

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
lightnoise

Indian cookbooks

Post by lightnoise »

Hello all,

I am looking for recommendations on good authentic Indian food cookbooks. It’s a cuisine that I am very familiar with (eating, not cooking) but the couple cookbooks I have tried have produced dishes that, while decent, have not had the strong flavors I love (even after following precise directions).

I live in a urban area and have access to Indian grocery stores that sell everything you would need. So the issue seems to be that the books I have tried perhaps cater to those with a preference for milder flavor profile.

Any recommendations? I eat mostly vegetarian and so prefer to cook that as well.

Thanks
mgensler

Re: Indian cookbooks

Post by mgensler »

Vegetarian India by Madhuri Jaffrey. We love this book!
Wricha

Post by Wricha »

mgensler wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 7:48 pm Vegetarian India by Madhuri Jaffrey. We love this book!
Great book - tomato chutney great
CatLadyNyc

Post by CatLadyNyc »

Wricha wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 7:58 pm
mgensler wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 7:48 pm Vegetarian India by Madhuri Jaffrey. We love this book!
Great book - tomato chutney great
We get recipes from YouTube these days ( This is useful if you know what you want to cook ).
worthit

Post by worthit »

I second the YouTube option. There is a chef who is very fun to watch - his name is Sanjay Thumma (if I recall) and his website is vahrehvah.com. He just started uploading new videos now after a long break. May want to check out his videos. Very easy and simple to follow instructions and the dishes come out amazing to taste IMHO.
prettybogle

Post by prettybogle »

Checkout youtube videos from vahchef
Topic Author
lightnoise

Post by lightnoise »

Thank you all for the great recommendations.
MildlyEccentric

Post by MildlyEccentric »

For Indian recipes on youtube, try Manjula's Kitchen.

For vegetarian recipes on youtube there are many options:
The Whole Food Plant Based Cooking Show
Peaceful Cuisine
The Vegan Corner
Hot for Food
Potato Strong
Mary's Test Kitchen
mighty72

Post by mighty72 »

look at ministry of curry if you use instant pot
+1 for Manjula's kitchen
nyclon

Post by nyclon »

Every recipe at www.vegrecipesofindia.com is spot on authentic.
anoop

Post by anoop »

mighty72 wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 10:01 pm look at ministry of curry if you use instant pot
+1 for Manjula's kitchen
+1 more for Manjula's kitchen.
http://www.manjulaskitchen.com/
strbrd

Post by strbrd »

Ooh, one of my favorite topics! I adore _The Healthy Cuisine of India_, by Bharti Kirchner, which is Begali (some specialized Bengali spices). It's out of print but there are used copies available on Amazon. Madhur Jaffrey is great; I really like _Indian Cooking_, which has the best standard dal recipes (fewer specialized spices). And if you have a pressure cooker, check out _Indian Food Under Pressure_, by Ashley Singh Thomas (many specialized spices/ingredients, but fine suggestions for substitutions). She has a blog too if you want to preview the kind of stuff she does: https://myheartbeets.com/.

YouTube is best if you already know what you want to cook, I would definitely use cookbooks too if you're just starting out on Indian cooking.
rterickson

Post by rterickson »

Also you YouTube, EatEastIndian and Bhavna's Kitchen.
sksbog

Post by sksbog »

lightnoise wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 7:36 pm Hello all,

I am looking for recommendations on good authentic Indian food cookbooks. It’s a cuisine that I am very familiar with (eating, not cooking) but the couple cookbooks I have tried have produced dishes that, while decent, have not had the strong flavors I love (even after following precise directions).

I live in a urban area and have access to Indian grocery stores that sell everything you would need. So the issue seems to be that the books I have tried perhaps cater to those with a preference for milder flavor profile.

Any recommendations? I eat mostly vegetarian and so prefer to cook that as well.

Thanks
Here is my favorite ones:

- youtube search for sanjeev kapoor with the keyword on what you want to make or sanjeev kapoor recepies
- youtube search for wah chef tandoori chicken
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

This is my favorite indian cookbook:

Lord Krishna's Cuisine - the art of Indian Vegetarian Cooking

Note that the recipes in this book are vegetarian and do not have onion or garlic, you can add them if you wish. My husband will not eat onion and isn't overly fond of garlic so it works out fine for us. I make many of the recipes in this book but most often the rajma, dosas, chapatis, and chole.

Also, all the ingredients are specified in grams which is a huge plus.
Last edited by Elsebet on Wed May 08, 2019 4:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
katnok

Post by katnok »

+1 to Vahchef (Youtube channel) by Sanjay Thumma.
rocketfast

Post by rocketfast »

I have been recently doing Keto and found "Headbanger's kitchen" in youtube to be a joyful watch (for both Indian keto/non-keto recipes).

In western food, you generally use Salt + Pepper + Lemon as base with importance to Tomatoes + Garlic. Other spices are generally just to provide light extensions of taste.

With my Indian curry cooking, I have found that Salt + (Pepper/Red Chilli powder + Thai/Indian green chillies) + Tamarind to be the main Spice base. Cooking is generally started with frying onions (with little Cardamom, Cinnamon and Cloves), ginger and garlic and then finally Tomatoes. All other 100 of spices are just to provide light extensions to taste. More of them generally spoils the taste. I personally love coconut milk in my curries and Biryanis.
cholan

Post by cholan »

You tube has tons of videos-but not all very good. Food does not need to be authentic if you like what you cook. Most families in India, for that matter in many countries, do not cook as their mothers or grandmothers cooked. If you watch enough videos, a few minutes at most for each recipe, you will more than likely to find one that you like. I had many cook books but they have been donated to the local library and my instructors are all from you tube!
...leaving not a rack behind.
InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams »

Elsebet wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 4:10 pm This is my favorite indian cookbook:

https://www.amazon.com/Lord-Krishnas-Cu ... 0525245642

Note that the recipes in this book are vegetarian and do not have onion or garlic, you can add them if you wish. My husband will not eat onion and isn't overly fond of garlic so it works out fine for us. I make many of the recipes in this book but most often the rajma, dosas, chapatis, and chole.
+1. Made the Sambar, Idlis and Dosai.
She is a westerner who apprenticed to Swami Bhaktivedanta. She was with him for 11 years, extensively traveling in India, entering kitchens that most westerners do not see. Strictly Vegetarian.

But, I would add - seems like the recipes are also using pretty traditional processes - meaning not a lot of short cuts...
4nursebee

Post by 4nursebee »

Yamuna Devi wrote a book called lord krishna’s Cuisine: the art of Indian vegetarian cooking. I consider it my bible of vegetarian Indian.

Hare Krishna
Pale Blue Dot
rupalb9

Post by rupalb9 »

Meera Sodha writes about Indian cooking for The Guardian.
Meera Sodha's Recipes
She has cookbooks on Amazon and publishes some of her recipes on her site.
bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 »

Vegan Risha
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.
nvambith

Post by nvambith »

As an Indian person, I am usually looking more for home-style food than restaurant food, but here are the blogs that usually work well for me.

https://www.padhuskitchen.com/ - home-style south indian
http://shobhapink.blogspot.com/ - home-style north indian
https://www.veganricha.com/ - westernized indian :)
http://showmethecurry.com/ - very detailed instructions
Food with Chetna ( https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1VkNU ... wXmk4SSJZw ) - more elaborate.

Some of these folks have books too.
ao0680

Post by ao0680 »

yadayada

Post by yadayada »

It helps to remember that Indian home cooking does not resemble what you eat in Indian restaurant. Restaurant food, especially most Indian ones in the US tend to be laden with butter, oil, salt etc. Some the blogs like vahchef are fun to watch and great for an occasional meal but are not great if they form the staple of your diet.. I would recommend you seek out home cooking blogs. I am pleasantly surprised to find onehotstove listed here. I have learnt most of my cooking from there. Although in recent years the blog has veered away from cooking as the main theme.
malabargold

Post by malabargold »

Wow, can’t believe no one has mentioned
Classic Indian Cooking by Julie Sahni