Winter Tires All Year?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
happyjuice8000

Winter Tires All Year?

Post by happyjuice8000 » Mon May 06, 2019 1:53 pm

I live in the Northeast and put winter tires on my Prius each year. I only drive less than 200 miles per month. Is it worth it for me to unmount my winter tires and remount my all-season tires? Or just keep my winter tires on year round since I drive so few miles?

bloom2708

Re: Winter Tires All Year?

Post by bloom2708 » Mon May 06, 2019 1:56 pm

I would leave them on year round with your mileage.

I drove a Ford C-Max with Bridgestone Blizzaks year round. They are a softer rubber and will wear faster, but with low mileage it should not matter.

A tire like the Toyo Celsius is a mixed tire meant to be used year round. It has both all season and winter characteristics. When you are shopping for new tires in 6-10 years. :wink:

https://www.toyotires.com/celsius-tires

Car with tire pressure sensors can be a pain to switch out 2 times per year. :annoyed
Last edited by bloom2708 on Mon May 06, 2019 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We are not here to agree with you; we are here to provoke thoughtfulness." Unknown Boglehead

ohai

Post by ohai » Mon May 06, 2019 2:00 pm

Winter tires will slip in the summer, as the rubber melts and becomes squishy. If you really don't want to change tires, all season are probably the best compromise.

Chuck

Post by Chuck » Mon May 06, 2019 2:01 pm

It's a good thought from a wear point of view, based on your low mileage. The squishy handling might be hazardous if you need to brake or swerve. I would not want to harm someone or someone's property to save a few bucks. For that reason, I wouldn't do it.

I have extra rims for my winter tires, and just change them out in my garage. It takes about 45 minutes and I don't have to bring it to a shop.

ssquared87

Post by ssquared87 » Mon May 06, 2019 2:01 pm

Absolutely take them off.

At temps above 40, they will wear out extremely quickly because the compound will be too soft at higher temps.

Good job on the snow tires though, it’s the right thing to do for everyone’s safety when the temps drop. Too many people don’t realize how important they are.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Mon May 06, 2019 2:04 pm

At 200 miles a month I'd be looking into not owning a car.

But to answer your question, I wouldn't loose sleep over keeping the winter tires on all year. Maybe track the wear over the summer month. A normal person shouldn't be able to measure any change in 600 miles of driving.

pochax

Post by pochax » Mon May 06, 2019 2:04 pm

i envy your gas bill though: prius at 200 miles/month - how often do you fill up for gas? every season? :shock:

prudent

Post by prudent » Mon May 06, 2019 2:05 pm

I keep winter tires on all year because another set of tires is $600 and although they will wear faster, I don't drive enough for that to be a concern.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Mon May 06, 2019 2:15 pm

Wear isn't the only issue, it's the only money issue.

Winter tires are designed for snow, with deep treads to maximize pressure on the surface (snow). In the summer, they are giving you less contact with the surface than a regular tire, so you likely will have increased stopping distance. In addition, they won't be as responsive.

Having grown up in NJ and lived in Massachusetts for over a decade later in life, I rarely put on snow tires. A good pair (Michelin) of M&S tires with front wheel drive is usually quite adequate.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

Katietsu

Post by Katietsu » Mon May 06, 2019 2:17 pm

If you care enough to use winter tires, then you might care enough to see the poorer characteristics of winter tires on hot dry roads. You can compare specs like dry stopping distance and see the difference.

Since I may have wide fluctuations in weather conditions in any given week, I am planning on moving towards “all weather” tires. Not the same as all season. Have done it with one car in my house and one for a relative. One more to go. These have come a long way over the last few years. Maybe sell both sets of tires and get a new set of all weather tires.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Mon May 06, 2019 2:24 pm

ohai wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 2:00 pm
Winter tires will slip in the summer, as the rubber melts and becomes squishy. If you really don't want to change tires, all season are probably the best compromise.
On a Prius? Melt?

To the OP: I buy ONLY snow tires. I keep several sets of wheels for all my cars. When a set of snows gets to the low mark (many snows have dual level wear bars....one for end of snow use and the next for "replace the tire"). The lower tread snows (about the same as new all season) work absolutely fine. We drive about 15k miles a year in all wheel drive Subarus. For your mileage? Absolutely. If you were to go to the racetrack.....well, you wouldn't be doing that in a Prius anyways, so don't put snows on your new McLaren for the track.

I live 26 miles, 385 yards west of Copley Square.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

Topic Author
happyjuice8000

Post by happyjuice8000 » Mon May 06, 2019 2:56 pm

Katietsu wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 2:17 pm
If you care enough to use winter tires, then you might care enough to see the poorer characteristics of winter tires on hot dry roads. You can compare specs like dry stopping distance and see the difference.
OP here...Good thought. I just searched for stopping distance on DRY road from 60mph: All-Seasons 131 ft vs. Winter Tires 155 ft. So All-Seasons are superior on DRY roads. But on SNOW, stopping distance from 60mph: All-Seasons 421 ft vs. Winter Tires 362 ft.

Driving on All-Seasons in snow is clearly quite risky given this data. Driving on Winter tires in summer is certainly suboptimal but not quite dangerous.

Still undecided :confused

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Mon May 06, 2019 2:58 pm

happyjuice8000 wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 1:53 pm
I live in the Northeast and put winter tires on my Prius each year. I only drive less than 200 miles per month. Is it worth it for me to unmount my winter tires and remount my all-season tires? Or just keep my winter tires on year round since I drive so few miles?
I go with option C. I have my winter tires permanently mounted on a set of rims I picked up at the local auto junkyard for $5 each. I don't have the hassle or cost of mounting and unmounting them (other than the initial time).

Topic Author
happyjuice8000

Post by happyjuice8000 » Mon May 06, 2019 3:04 pm

lthenderson wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 2:58 pm
happyjuice8000 wrote:
I go with option C. I have my winter tires permanently mounted on a set of rims I picked up at the local auto junkyard for $5 each. I don't have the hassle or cost of mounting and unmounting them (other than the initial time).
Great idea, but isn't getting compatible tire pressure sensors and getting the car reprogrammed with each tire change super annoying.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Mon May 06, 2019 3:07 pm

happyjuice8000 wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 3:04 pm
lthenderson wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 2:58 pm
happyjuice8000 wrote:
Great idea, but isn't getting compatible tire pressure sensors and getting the car reprogrammed with each tire change super annoying.
My 21 year old car doesn't have TPI sensors but if it did, I would just learn to ignore it for three or four months of the years until the normal rims and tires were back on in the spring.

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Mon May 06, 2019 3:10 pm

The downside of leaving winter tires on for the summer is they are noisy and wear quicker on dry roads. But hey, with the little bit you drive, who cares?

MichCPA

Post by MichCPA » Mon May 06, 2019 3:12 pm

Try all-weather tires. They are a hybrid of snow and all season. Warm weather will destroy winter tires quickly.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Mon May 06, 2019 3:26 pm

happyjuice8000 wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 2:56 pm
Katietsu wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 2:17 pm
OP here...Good thought. I just searched for stopping distance on DRY road from 60mph: All-Seasons 131 ft vs. Winter Tires 155 ft. So All-Seasons are superior on DRY roads. But on SNOW, stopping distance from 60mph: All-Seasons 421 ft vs. Winter Tires 362 ft.

Driving on All-Seasons in snow is clearly quite risky given this data. Driving on Winter tires in summer is certainly suboptimal but not quite dangerous.

Still undecided :confused
But on SNOW, stopping distance from 60mph: All-Seasons 421 ft vs. Winter Tires 362 ft.

I live in Memphis, but did spend a decade driving in Buffalo. I view the question of all-season vs winter tires a question of traction, not stopping distance. I consider driving on snow at 60mph inherently risky, irrespective of the tires you choose.

Winston19

Post by Winston19 » Mon May 06, 2019 3:44 pm

I think winter tires typically have longer wet weather (non snow) stopping distances as well.

I just mount my to cheap steel rims and have learned to live with the TPMS light.

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Mon May 06, 2019 3:52 pm

MichCPA wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 3:12 pm
Try all-weather tires. They are a hybrid of snow and all season. Warm weather will destroy winter tires quickly.
My vote. It's what I did when I lived in the Northeast.

Topic Author
happyjuice8000

Post by happyjuice8000 » Mon May 06, 2019 4:25 pm

bloom2708 wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 1:56 pm
A tire like the Toyo Celsius is a mixed tire meant to be used year round. It has both all season and winter characteristics. When you are shopping for new tires in 6-10 years. :wink:

I checked out the specs and reviews on these tires. They are terrific! I wish I knew about them before I bought the winter tires I have now.

nanosour

Post by nanosour » Mon May 06, 2019 4:50 pm

I purchased Blizzacks in winter of 2005 for my then new car and rotated them out seasonally. With 82K on the vehicle in winter of 2013 I put the Blizzacks on for the last time as my all seasons needed to be replaced. I knew at the time I would only be driving 100-150 miles/month so I chose to just leave the Blizzacks on. As of today the car has 90.6K and the 13 year old blizzacks have been on the car for the last 5.5 years with plenty of tread left. Last summer I did rotate fronts to back as the fronts were wearing out faster. I'll leave the winter tires on until I see the rubber start to rot, at which time I'll get all seasons for year round driving.

In your case I'd vote for leaving them on and just keep an eye on the condition of the rubber over time. You'll know it's time for new tires when you start to feel uncomfortable.

dbr

Post by dbr » Mon May 06, 2019 4:55 pm

What should be an unbiased opinion against winter tires in summer: https://www.caaquebec.com/en/on-the-roa ... y-venture/

Admittedly at 200mi/mo you could decide it doesn't matter. Does that also mean you never exceed a speed of 35mph and never drive on highways or interstates. If you don't then handling and braking may not be very important either -- or are they?

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Mon May 06, 2019 4:57 pm

I use winter tires each year and I've run them in the summer before. To me, it's a noticeable difference. I can't wait to get the winter tires off come spring.

200 miles, eh? You might be better off with a Uber, bicycle, motorcycle, and hitchhiking/begging for rides.

G12

Post by G12 » Mon May 06, 2019 5:38 pm

I guy I run into at times at events lives in Colorado Springs and runs Blizzaks all year and said he put 50k miles on his last set. They sound loud to me on clear streets and highways. YMMV.

dalbright

Post by dalbright » Mon May 06, 2019 5:53 pm

I purchased the nokian wrg3 tires for our 2014 prius a few years ago for year round use after a lot of research on the topic. They are an all weather tire (despite that name being a catch all for every company) but are snow rated as well. They have held up great for 30-40k miles so far (i think? don't remember the exact milage at purchase). I didn't want to have two sets of tires around and they actually seem to do a great job in snow/ice/normal conditions without affecting the mpg really at all. We live in the midwest. Would highly recommend them.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Mon May 06, 2019 5:57 pm

MichCPA wrote:
Commonly called "all seasons", these are great for all seasons......in Houston....or Miami. Or simply "No seasons".

People forget....Snows with more tread than all seasons so while they wear down faster, there's more there to wear down.

I'll continue to run snows till they get to the "winter traction finished" bars, then run them in the other seasons.

I do not get TMPS sensors for any extra wheels I have. I check tire pressure more often than is even reasonable. I can tell you that my Jeep is currently at 34 psi because....well....I just checked them an hour ago.

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Mon May 06, 2019 6:08 pm

In your situation, I'd probably run the winter tires year round. Rapid tire wear is not an issue as your tires would expire long before they wear out. As a fellow driver, I'd rather share the road with you on winter tires year round than all seasons year round. I'm more afraid of a car in winter losing control than in summer.

I wouldn't try these new all terrain tires either. All they do is trade a little more summer traction for winter traction. The simple fact is I've never heard of someone being stuck because the weather is too dry. Contrarily, everyone can use all the traction they can get with winter tires.

I drive a little more at 500 miles a month. I don't want to risk less traction in summer. I also live on top of a steep driveway. I have separate rims and tires. I'd rather deal with the TPMS sensor being on than pay $500+ for a new set of sensors. That's more than the tires and rims. It takes me 30 minutes to swap the rims.

baseballbogle

Post by baseballbogle » Mon May 06, 2019 6:14 pm

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 5:57 pm
MichCPA wrote:
Commonly called "all seasons", these are great for all seasons......in Houston....or Miami. Or simply "No seasons".

People forget....Snows with more tread than all seasons so while they wear down faster, there's more there to wear down.

I'll continue to run snows till they get to the "winter traction finished" bars, then run them in the other seasons.

I do not get TMPS sensors for any extra wheels I have. I check tire pressure more often than is even reasonable. I can tell you that my Jeep is currently at 34 psi because....well....I just checked them an hour ago.
It may sound like semantics, but they are not the same. All-weather tires differ from all-seasons primarily based on the compound. I remember reading that the Nokian WRG line was developed when Nokian was trying to make an “ultra-high performance” (think good heat dissipation) winter tire. So the compound is made for low temperatures but can also withstand the heat dissipation requirements of performance driving or just summer driving. The tread is typically an all-season or summer pattern for good dry performance.

Not sure about the Toyo’s mentioned above, but I know the Michelin Cross-Climate plus is an all-weather tire that is recommended on Consumer Reports’ car podcast frequently. The Nokian WRG4 mentioned above are also good but not as highly recommended.

Time2Quit

Post by Time2Quit » Mon May 06, 2019 6:19 pm

happyjuice8000 wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 4:25 pm
bloom2708 wrote:

I checked out the specs and reviews on these tires. They are terrific! I wish I knew about them before I bought the winter tires I have now.
+1 Tried a set and they are great! Unfortunately there is a limited size selection.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor." --Seneca

Time2Quit

Post by Time2Quit » Mon May 06, 2019 6:20 pm

happyjuice8000 wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 4:25 pm
bloom2708 wrote:

+1 Tried a set and they are great! Unfortunately there is a limited size selection.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor." --Seneca

rgs92

Post by rgs92 » Mon May 06, 2019 6:36 pm

I thought it was a violation of some sort of law if you didn't remove your snow tires by sometime in April. I thought you could get a ticket if you were caught driving around with them in the summer.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Mon May 06, 2019 6:46 pm

rgs92 wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 6:36 pm
I thought it was a violation of some sort of law if you didn't remove your snow tires by sometime in April. I thought you could get a ticket if you were caught driving around with them in the summer.
Why? Are they going to measure the wear left on your brake pads too or the performance of your suspension? I believe in some areas studded winter tires are not allowed because they destroy the road, but other than that, I'm not sure where you got that impression.

aerofreaky11

Post by aerofreaky11 » Mon May 06, 2019 6:50 pm

Black electrical tape does a great job covering the pressure warning light...

There are laws you can't have studded snow tires after a certain date...not sure if OP is driving studded snows.

TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke » Mon May 06, 2019 7:06 pm

Jack FFR1846 wrote:

The all-weather tires are quite a different tire than all-season. In parts of the world (I am thinking Quebec) where it is mandatory to use tires that earn the snowflake, the Nokias mentioned pass muster. Not as good as dedicated winters but way better than All seasons (in the winter).In the summer, the all seasons will do better.

https://www.consumerreports.org/winter- ... ck-tires/
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Mon May 06, 2019 7:07 pm

I have done both swapping between tires and using all-season tires.

I would absolutely not do without sensors now that I've had them. I would not cover up a warning light. I might look for one of the all-weather but still snow-oriented tires.

For the amount of use involved I would definitely not deal with a second set of tires/rims.

dbr

Post by dbr » Mon May 06, 2019 8:28 pm

Ironically Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Illinois, of all places, prohibit studded snow tires, and, more than that, one article I have seen reports that two-thirds or three-quarters (or something like that) of drivers in the upper midwest do not change to snow tires in the winter. Go figure.

bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 » Mon May 06, 2019 8:40 pm

Yes, just do it.

The decision is not even worth the amount of human capital used in discussing it so far!
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace." Samuel Adams

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Mon May 06, 2019 8:44 pm

For those who bellyache about the TPMS, buy two sets of wheels and a TPMS programmer. That is what I do. It's easy to change the tire/wheel combo and reprogram the sensors, and the batteries will last longer than the tires (usually). My Ford TPMS takes me three minutes to program with the correct tool. Plus I can make sure the wheels are torqued correctly so my rotors do not warp.

smackboy1

Post by smackboy1 » Mon May 06, 2019 9:13 pm

happyjuice8000 wrote:
Winter tire compound is soft so on hot summer days grip is not as good as all season tires in dry/rain. But it's not a huge difference. Softer compound tires will have more tread squirm, faster wear, noisier, worse fuel economy. But if you're driving the Prius in a fashion trying to optimize mpg, you probably won't miss the extra grip that much. Just plan for reduced grip in hot weather.

Rather than use winter tires for 4 seasons, I would look at all weather tires. These are all season compound tires that are constructed with sipes so they have better snow/ice grip. Look for all season tires with the mountain snowflake designation. I used to run Nokian WR G3 all weather tires on my Sienna minivan and they were pretty good compromise.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/te ... p?ttid=231

Note: Tirerack does not sell Nokian, so they won't test them.
Disclaimer: nothing written here should be taken as legal advice, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

William4u

Post by William4u » Tue May 07, 2019 4:11 am

ohai wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 2:00 pm
Winter tires will slip in the summer, as the rubber melts and becomes squishy.
+1 It is dangerous. At higher temps the very soft rubber will turn to near liquid and be unstable in certain situations. Don't do it.

student

Post by student » Tue May 07, 2019 5:13 am

I agree with others that you should switch. If you do not want to switch and are uncomfortable using all-season tires, try all-weather tires from Nokian. https://www.nokiantires.com/tires/passe ... her-tires/ From the G3, it says "SEVERE SERVICE EMBLEM OR MOUNTAIN SNOWFLAKE SYMBOL DESIGNATION RATED FOR USE IN SEVERE WINTER CONDITIONS" This symbol means that it has meet the required performance criteria.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Tue May 07, 2019 6:20 am

rgs92 wrote:
That's for metal studs, which few people use since the advent of ice tires, which perform nearly as well.

Another consideration is tire aging. As the tire ages, the rubber continuously outgasses and becomes less pliable and cracks. At (insert your favorite number) years, they should be replaced even if they have plenty of tread. The OP drives so little, he'll be replacing tires that have plenty of tread left because they're beginning to dry rot.

Norsky19

Post by Norsky19 » Tue May 07, 2019 7:46 am

Spare no expense when it comes to tires, steering and brakes. All three can be life or death scenarios.....if you forget to change your oil and your engine blows up, you steer safely to the side of they road and lament your foolishness. If you need to violently swerve or brake hard in the summer with snow tires....potential catastrophe.

I have Blizzak tires on all our vehicles at least 6 months a year and radials on the other 6 or so. I don't think you should ever skimp on tires. Do your research and bite the bullet. Pay the money. Good site: www.tirerack.com

Save money on investing, spend money on quality tires. :beer

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Tue May 07, 2019 7:55 am

dbr wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 8:28 pm
I have seen reports that two-thirds or three-quarters (or something like that) of drivers in the upper midwest do not change to snow tires in the winter. Go figure.
When I spent a decade in central Minnesota, I was one of those who just rode around on all season tires all year. It was flat so traction wasn't really an issue other than stopping and you just learned to accommodate your driving style to the conditions. Now I live quite a bit further south but in a really hilly area and I use winter driving tires on my FWD car simply so I can get going again from a stoplight facing slightly uphill in slippery conditions. My newer vehicles are AWD so I just leave the all season tires on all year and don't have any problems.

mariezzz

Post by mariezzz » Tue May 07, 2019 11:43 am

happyjuice8000 wrote:
You're driving only 200 miles per month so it probably doesn't matter. I'd be using all-season year round. You pointed out negatives of using all-season in snow (although many many people do this in cold-weather states). Have you investigated snow tires for stopping distance in the rain? But given your mileage, you could just use them year round, until they wear out, and at that point, re-think your strategy.

A former mechanic recommended just buying a new set of wheels (the metal parts) rather than mount/unmount the tires every season.

If you're in a city in the US, no compelling need for winter tires. If you travel often in more rural areas, or have a job that requires you to drive (to work) in bad weather, winter tires could be a good idea. I have lots of family in cities/suburbs in cold weather states, and they go with all-season tires.

CyclingDuo

Post by CyclingDuo » Tue May 07, 2019 12:25 pm

happyjuice8000 wrote:
Yes, it is worth it. Swap out your tires.
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time." ~ Steven Wright

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Tue May 07, 2019 12:27 pm

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
MichCPA wrote:
Wrong. All-weather are a relatively new class of tire, and have a mountain and snowflake symbol on the sidewall, and bear almost no resemblance to all season tires. They are a slightly less hardcore snow tire that doesn't completely disintegrate when the temperature rises above 50F. Many models have a second snowflake on the face of the tread, that when worn away denotes that the tires have lost their superior snow performance characteristics.

I think Nokian makes a little more half of the all-weather tires that are sold, but there are a few other brands as well.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Tue May 07, 2019 12:41 pm

rgs92 wrote:
Makes no sense at all. As a case in point, I DID switch to my summer tires in mid-April. Then had to leave my completely-unsafe-to-drive car parked when we got 10" of snow the weekend before Easter. And another 6" the weekend after Easter.

MichCPA

Post by MichCPA » Tue May 07, 2019 2:24 pm

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
MichCPA wrote:

All weather isn't all season. Like I stated, it is between all season and winter. Nokian's all weather tire warranties aren't voided by summer driving, have 55,000 miles expected life, and get better gas mileage than winter tires.