Sofa Purchase

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
linuxology

Sofa Purchase

Post by linuxology » Mon May 06, 2019 12:23 pm

Would you please share your experiences with sofa longevity? I am looking for a new sofa and have sat on both Hancock and Moore (H&M), Bradington Young, and Ekornes. I feel Ekornes and H&M were my favorites based on my short visit to the furniture store. H&M is more plush where the Ekornes would provide more proper ergonomics. Not sure which would stand the test of time if any and would like to gather the boglehead sofa mindset as it is a big purchase. Thanks.

Broken Man 1999

Re: Sofa Purchase

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Mon May 06, 2019 12:51 pm

What type sofa are you considering?

A regular sofa, reclining portions?

What material? Cloth, leather?

Price range?

Prior to our current family room furniture we had bought Clayton Marcus pieces. Good quality, reasonable pricing. We had two purchases of sofa and love-seat and arm chair from 1980 to 2017. Each replaced piece was sold, as the pieces were in great shape. We would have had them re-upholstered, but honestly the difference in a redo and new just wasn't worth the hassle. They held up well with our young daughters' bouncing on them, spilling things on them, etc.

I have no idea about Clayton Marcus quality, pricing any longer. I can honestly say our purchases were great. A lot of quality furniture from North Carolina is now sourced from China. Disappointment in seeing some of the previously really nice and affordable furniture being cheapened, with poorer quality. I'd rather pay a bit more for better quality and replace far less often. The overriding reason we have replaced furniture was because we simply got tired of looking at it, it was never worn out. Our last set of print sofa/love-seat/armchair was way out of style. It is probably being used by someone still, unless they had destructive kids/pets.

Currently we have a leather sectional with reclining pieces. We no longer have pets and the grandchildren are pretty well civilized, now. :D

You might find a good deal on furniture offerings from Costco. I think Costco would have quality offerings, just like their other products. Costco has a lot to choose from, as well.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

Topic Author
linuxology

Post by linuxology » Mon May 06, 2019 1:04 pm

Broken Man 1999 wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 12:51 pm
What type sofa are you considering?

A regular sofa, reclining portions?

What material? Cloth, leather?

Price range?

Prior to our current family room furniture we had bought Clayton Marcus pieces. Good quality, reasonable pricing. We had two purchases of sofa and love-seat and arm chair from 1980 to 2017. Each replaced piece was sold, as the pieces were in great shape. We would have had them re-upholstered, but honestly the difference in a redo and new just wasn't worth the hassle. They held up well with our young daughters' bouncing on them, spilling things on them, etc.

I have no idea about Clayton Marcus quality, pricing any longer. I can honestly say our purchases were great. A lot of quality furniture from North Carolina is now sourced from China. Disappointment in seeing some of the previously really nice and affordable furniture being cheapened, with poorer quality. I'd rather pay a bit more for better quality and replace far less often. The overriding reason we have replaced furniture was because we simply got tired of looking at it, it was never worn out. Our last set of print sofa/love-seat/armchair was way out of style. It is probably being used by someone still, unless they had destructive kids/pets.

Currently we have a leather sectional with reclining pieces. We no longer have pets and the grandchildren are pretty well civilized, now. :D

You might find a good deal on furniture offerings from Costco. I think Costco would have quality offerings, just like their other products. Costco has a lot to choose from, as well.

Broken Man 1999
$3500 is the price point give or take is where I would like to be. Leaning towards leather as I think it will last longer. Don't need recliners in it and leaning for just a plain sofa for laying/sitting on.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Mon May 06, 2019 1:07 pm

If you like Ekornes (I do) and that is within your price range, then also look at IMG Comfort furniture.

https://imgcomfort.com/us/

The more modern/Scandanavian design doesn't fit in all homes, but love the look, fit and comfort.

Even within the brands they will have more modern and traditional styles. Go with what fits your style and price point.
"People want confirmation, not advice" Unknown | "We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you" Unknown | Four words: Whole food, plant based

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Mon May 06, 2019 1:57 pm

How long do you expect it to last? I don't expect upholstered furniture (used daily) to last a really long time. Of course, I'm told that a quality sofa can be reupholstered and have friends do that (spending 3x what I spend on a sofa to reupholster an old one). I'll go further an add that I don't need it to last forever as I'll probably be tired of it before it wears out.

apex84

Post by apex84 » Mon May 06, 2019 2:05 pm

Hancock & Moore is well built & high quality. The leather will last longer than fabric with proper care. We couldn't find a Hancock & Moore sofa that worked for use since many of the pieces tend to be oversized. We were also looking for fabric so went with a Stickley with a nylon fabric.

http://www.myfurnitureforum.com

Yooper16

Post by Yooper16 » Mon May 06, 2019 3:13 pm

Can't help on the Ekornes couch, but we have had 2 Ekornes recliners for about 20 years. Still in great shape, leather has that wonderful aged look after this time. Still very comfy. Had to tighten the screws on the foot rests and the arms recently, for the first time.

F14tuna

Post by F14tuna » Mon May 06, 2019 3:50 pm

Agree with opinions on Ekornes. Also, look at Flexsteel furniture. Very good choice of fabrics and leathers, depending on the piece, and excellent frames. We have a 7-yr old Flexsteel sofa that still feels like new.

harrad

Post by harrad » Mon May 06, 2019 4:08 pm

We have leather couches from Rooms To Go. It was not our original choice but for 1800$, I am pleasantly surprised on how well the leather seems to hold up.

sasquatch12

Post by sasquatch12 » Mon May 06, 2019 4:15 pm

The quality of Hancock and Moore is outstanding we have several pieces from them including a leather bench and sofa. The comfort level and quality of the leather and workmanship is top notch. We have had them for 5 years now and they still look brand new. Before that we had an Ethan Allen Sofa and for the price they are very good quality as well and quite a bit cheaper than H&M.

Glomar

Post by Glomar » Mon May 06, 2019 5:09 pm

Really happy with our Smith Brothers of Berne sofa - 6 years and still looks pretty much brand new; cushions holding up great. We purchased through a local dealer so we were able to try it out in store.

https://smithbrothersfurniture.com/

OTOH did not have a good experience with Mitchell Gold sofa, fabric went baggy almost immediately.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Mon May 06, 2019 5:30 pm

I'm in the same situation, OP. I have a Laine sofa that held up very poorly over the years.

I bought a used Ekornes recliner with ottoman...vintage piece....years ago and it's great.

We are thinking of following the advice of Wirecutter and going for a mail order one by a manufacturer they recommend with a solid, simple return policy. I have rarely gone wrong following their advice. We are considering a Benchmade Modern or Article sectional. https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-online-sofa/

We are thinking of waiting until July to shop for a sofa since online research indicates it is a good month for furniture sales, and we are in no rush.

Almost anything feels good in the showroom. This time we are focused on buying something that will, hopefully, retain its shape for a long time.

If you buy a sofa please get back to me with your impressions. Thanks.