ants - aargh

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
fru-gal
Posts: 585
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:48 pm

ants - aargh

Post by fru-gal » Mon May 06, 2019 4:01 am

Ants were in the house about three weeks ago, the first time ever. I tried combating them for several days with web recommended stuff like swabbing the area with cider vinegar, to avoid having a pest control company spread poison around, but gave up and finally called one.

The ants had first shown up in the lying room and headed for the cat's food dishes in the kitchen. I seemed to have fixed that by caulking between the living room wall and the floor. Then they showed up coming in the kitchen and I gave up and called the pest guys.

The pest control company came out a bit less than two weeks ago, and put ant bait around in the kitchen in places the cat couldn't reach it, and sprayed around the baseboards on the first floor (the second floor is unused and I never saw any ants up there) and also they said they sprayed outside around the foundation and the crawl space. I didn't see the outside work, so I don't know what they actually did.

The ant bait was labeled Maxforce, and according to their receipt the inside spray was Suspend and the outside spray was Termidor.

The ants fed off one ant bait thing in the kitchen, and I saw no ants from the next day until this morning. They are back in the kitchen.

I'm going to call the pest control company this morning, but I wondered if anyone had words of wisdom about this.

Thanks.

FederalFIRE
Posts: 205
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:40 am

Re: ants - aargh

Post by FederalFIRE » Mon May 06, 2019 4:07 am

Have you done anything to address what is drawing the ants in? Trying to plug up holes and place traps will help, but they’ll likely keep finding their away around unless you can get rid of whatever is attracting them.

Topic Author
fru-gal
Posts: 585
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:48 pm

Re: ants - aargh

Post by fru-gal » Mon May 06, 2019 4:21 am

FederalFIRE wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 4:07 am
Have you done anything to address what is drawing the ants in? Trying to plug up holes and place traps will help, but they’ll likely keep finding their away around unless you can get rid of whatever is attracting them.
They go to the cat's food dishes. I don't know what to do about that. No other food is left out.

FederalFIRE
Posts: 205
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:40 am

Re: ants - aargh

Post by FederalFIRE » Mon May 06, 2019 4:38 am

fru-gal wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 4:21 am
FederalFIRE wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 4:07 am
Have you done anything to address what is drawing the ants in? Trying to plug up holes and place traps will help, but they’ll likely keep finding their away around unless you can get rid of whatever is attracting them.
They go to the cat's food dishes. I don't know what to do about that. No other food is left out.
Assume the cat just has food out in a dish all the time? Could be worth trying to move the food dish somewhere else in the house for a short while in conjunction with the exterminator to try and clear everything out long enough for the ants to quit returning.

Topic Author
fru-gal
Posts: 585
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:48 pm

Re: ants - aargh

Post by fru-gal » Mon May 06, 2019 4:42 am

FederalFIRE wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 4:38 am
fru-gal wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 4:21 am
FederalFIRE wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 4:07 am
Have you done anything to address what is drawing the ants in? Trying to plug up holes and place traps will help, but they’ll likely keep finding their away around unless you can get rid of whatever is attracting them.
They go to the cat's food dishes. I don't know what to do about that. No other food is left out.
Assume the cat just has food out in a dish all the time? Could be worth trying to move the food dish somewhere else in the house for a short while in conjunction with the exterminator to try and clear everything out long enough for the ants to quit returning.
I may try that. I'm just a little worried I may wind up with them in two places in the house.

mrc
Posts: 1354
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:39 am

Re: ants - aargh

Post by mrc » Mon May 06, 2019 4:54 am

You'll likely never be able to block the ant's access. Best to concentrate on removing the food source they seek. Once a scout finds it, s/he tells the colony about it.

1) Move the dishes elsewhere (for a while anyway).
2) Clean the surrounding area well, removing all the trace fats/sugars.
3) Keep your fingers crossed.

Some ordinary ant deterrents don't mix well with cats, but others do. Google 'ants and cat food' and you'll find many remedies.
Science is about the pursuit of truth. That always threatens someone.

Mapmaker
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:16 am

Re: ants - aargh

Post by Mapmaker » Mon May 06, 2019 5:18 am

The only effective method I found is an old fashioned recipe - soaking large cotton balls with 1/4 cup maple syrup, 1/4 cup water ( optional), and 1 tablespoon boric acid. Ants will take the boric acid back to the colony as poison. It takes 24 hours, but the ants will be gone. Keep the cotton balls away from kitty.

livesoft
Posts: 66938
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:00 pm

Re: ants - aargh

Post by livesoft » Mon May 06, 2019 5:21 am

Ants are a perennial topic on this forum.
viewtopic.php?t=72603
Terro.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Topic Author
fru-gal
Posts: 585
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:48 pm

Re: ants - aargh

Post by fru-gal » Mon May 06, 2019 5:36 am

livesoft wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 5:21 am
Ants are a perennial topic on this forum.
viewtopic.php?t=72603
Terro.
Thanks, I read the link. I am a little confused about which Terro product people are using? Something liquid that they drop onto cardboard squares and that has to be reapplied every few days?

Not this item?
Image

(Do ant baits in general need reapplying every few days? Maybe that's why the ones in the house seem to be no longer working.)

livesoft
Posts: 66938
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:00 pm

Re: ants - aargh

Post by livesoft » Mon May 06, 2019 5:41 am

Bait, poison, and chemicals do get old and stop working because they are labile, volatile, and/or dry up. They can be affected by heat and light, too, just like clothes and photographs fade with sunlight exposure.

Inside the home, I only use Terro liquid and I don't put it on cardboard pieces, but just put it on a counter top or floor. I will wipe and wash later.

In that thread, some people used liquid and some people used baits. I suspect people who use baits have pets, but my dog will chew up plastic bait traps to get the filler/carrier substance used to contain the actual active poisonous ingredient. So I must hide / keep the traps where the dog won't be able to get to them.

Outside, I use Amdro for fire ant mounds and follow the instructions to spread around the mound and NOT on the mound. I think Amdro uses corn meal as its inert carrier for the poison, but I am not certain.
Last edited by livesoft on Mon May 06, 2019 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

livesoft
Posts: 66938
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:00 pm

Re: ants - aargh

Post by livesoft » Mon May 06, 2019 5:47 am

I will also say that insect pest control companies are making a business out of people's fears. It's a behavioral thing. They charge lots of money to solve a $2 problem because many people don't like to see harmless bugs in their house like the spiders that eat the cockroaches.

In our neighborhood, pest control companies send salesreps door-to-door to get people to buy their service. They do so when they know insects become active in the spring and the old bait stations people put out months ago have all lost effectiveness.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Topic Author
fru-gal
Posts: 585
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:48 pm

Re: ants - aargh

Post by fru-gal » Mon May 06, 2019 6:03 am

livesoft wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 5:47 am
I will also say that insect pest control companies are making a business out of people's fears. It's a behavioral thing. They charge lots of money to solve a $2 problem because many people don't like to see harmless bugs in their house like the spiders that eat the cockroaches.

In our neighborhood, pest control companies send salesreps door-to-door to get people to buy their service. They do so when they know insects become active in the spring and the old bait stations people put out months ago have all lost effectiveness.
I like spiders and do not harm them. Anything outside my house is also safe from me.

I spent days and wracked up my hip :-) trying simple fixes. I now am retrying more of them suggested in this thread before I consider calling the pest control guys again.

An occasional ant here and there would not freak me out. It's the overwhelming hordes or the ones in the cat's food that get to me.

I have just set up the water dishes under the cat's food dishes thing to see if that actually keeps them out of his food.

likegarden
Posts: 2853
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:33 pm

Re: ants - aargh

Post by likegarden » Mon May 06, 2019 6:07 am

Every year I buy a bag of lawn insect control ($20) and spread that sparingly around the house walls outside, keeps the ants outside. Since ants become active this time of the year I have to do it every month until it is peace. We also have a pest control company come every 2 months to fog our total property with certain natural oils to keep bugs like ticks away - I got bit once. That pest control costs $107 every visit, but is better than Lyme disease. We have no pest control inside the house. It is the same as with mice, battle them outside and they do not come inside.

Shallowpockets
Posts: 1196
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:26 am

Re: ants - aargh

Post by Shallowpockets » Mon May 06, 2019 6:26 am

fru-gal wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 4:21 am
FederalFIRE wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 4:07 am
Have you done anything to address what is drawing the ants in? Trying to plug up holes and place traps will help, but they’ll likely keep finding their away around unless you can get rid of whatever is attracting them.
They go to the cat's food dishes. I don't know what to do about that. No other food is left out.
um, uh, maybe you have the problem and the solution in front of you.

gtd98765
Posts: 303
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:15 am

Re: ants - aargh

Post by gtd98765 » Mon May 06, 2019 6:40 am


livesoft
Posts: 66938
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:00 pm

Re: ants - aargh

Post by livesoft » Mon May 06, 2019 6:43 am

Wow, the CR article has less information than this thread. It's practically a fluff piece.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

andypanda
Posts: 276
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:11 pm
Location: Richmond, Virginia

Re: ants - aargh

Post by andypanda » Mon May 06, 2019 6:56 am

Ants? Ants rule this area. We have heavy daily dew from the James River and the water table is only 20 feet down.

Anyway, the Terro liquid works just fine, but the Amdro 6-packs are less messy. You pull the little plug in the center and set it out where you see them walking. Maybe shake one drop out to get them started. With either one the ants may come in increasing numbers for a day or two, but let them all feed and take it back to the nest & the queen.

www.homedepot.com/p/AMDRO-Kills-Ants-Li ... /203031391

fundseeker
Posts: 753
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:02 am

Re: ants - aargh

Post by fundseeker » Mon May 06, 2019 6:59 am

This Terro ant killer worked perfectly for us, but you have to be patient. At first it attracts more ants and you think that's a problems, but within six hours or so, they leave and die elsewhere never to return. This will fix the problem. Also, watch this youtube to know what to expect.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Terro-2-oz- ... er_reviews

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qArtHlSR6Js

SovereignInvestor
Posts: 339
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:41 pm

Re: ants - aargh

Post by SovereignInvestor » Mon May 06, 2019 7:03 am

Sorry to hear about ant troubles. I had them last year when moving into new house with cracks in slab.

First order is to look to fix and cracks or crevases.

But to extermine any inside house Terro is the bestimated as others said.


I like the terror liquid and drop some near peak ant spots. It doesn't just kill them..it keeps them alive long enough so they feed it to queen and colony is exterminated.

I used it and within 3 days I went from seeing hundreds a day to barely any.

Good luck.

User avatar
RickBoglehead
Posts: 3198
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:10 am

Re: ants - aargh

Post by RickBoglehead » Mon May 06, 2019 7:05 am

livesoft wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 6:43 am
Wow, the CR article has less information than this thread. It's practically a fluff piece.
CR started heading that way some years ago, which led us to not renew a decades on subscription.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

fposte
Posts: 1540
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:32 pm

Re: ants - aargh

Post by fposte » Mon May 06, 2019 7:05 am

You can buy Terro in baited packets where you cut open only one end, which is slightly less messy and less open to cats.

It can also be good to put one of those outside the house near the area where they’re coming in—ideally you want them nit to come in the house in the first place,

rich126
Posts: 467
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:56 pm

Re: ants - aargh

Post by rich126 » Mon May 06, 2019 7:11 am

livesoft wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 5:21 am
Ants are a perennial topic on this forum.
viewtopic.php?t=72603
Terro.
A pest control guy once told me ants are tough to deal with.

User avatar
Cyclesafe
Posts: 828
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:03 pm

Re: ants - aargh

Post by Cyclesafe » Mon May 06, 2019 7:14 am

What works well in So Cali:

When ants are noticed indoors, spray a three foot perimeter of Termidor SC around your house outdoors. Then set out sodium borate (Terro) traps on the ant trail indoors. The latter is selective and contained, the former is not. This method works for two years, sometimes three.

Available here: https://store.doyourownpestcontrol.com/termidor-sc
Last edited by Cyclesafe on Mon May 06, 2019 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

DoTheMath
Posts: 289
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:11 pm
Location: The Plains

Re: ants - aargh

Post by DoTheMath » Mon May 06, 2019 7:14 am

We have problems with ants pretty much every spring. When they appear we make sure to be extra vigilant about keeping things clean and put out Toro. Buying it by the bottle and putting it on recycled plastic lids for easy clean up is cheap and easy, but we often buy the traps, too, for convenience. As others mentioned, at first there are more ants than ever as they're attracted to the trap, but in a few days they'll pretty much disappear.

If they are attracted to the cat food, then that is definitely a root cause of the issue. Either move it somewhere else or put it away when the cat is not eating. If the ants can't find food, they'll move on soon enough.

One thing you could try is to put the cat food dish in a shallow pan of water so that the cat can reach it, but the ants can't.
“I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains...” -- John Muir

General Disarray
Posts: 192
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:35 pm
Location: Body in the east coast, but heart in the west coast

Re: ants - aargh

Post by General Disarray » Mon May 06, 2019 7:15 am

Peppermint oil.

Last year was the first time I used the peppermint oil remedy to ward off ants, other insects, and mice. Using a solution of pure peppermint oil, water, and a few drops of dishwashing soap, I sprayed outside of the house, around the foundation and door and window frames.

Inside the house, I put pure peppermint oil on cotton balls and put the peppermint-oil-infused cotton balls around the window frame and sliding glass door frame. I would respray the cotton balls periodically with a diluted peppermint oil spray or else put more pure peppermint oil drops on each cotton ball every once in a while.

It seemed to work, because I recall seeing minimal to no ants inside the house last year.

clemrick
Posts: 131
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:46 pm

Re: ants - aargh

Post by clemrick » Mon May 06, 2019 8:13 am

I sometimes use the stain remover, Shout. It kills them on contact and have occasionally had results when spraying the places in the walls where they come into the room. Mostly, I rely on Terro which works if it isn't too old.

Nearly A Moose
Posts: 994
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:28 pm

Re: ants - aargh

Post by Nearly A Moose » Mon May 06, 2019 8:45 am

Family handyman has some good basic suggestions too. Might google it. I believe different types of ants have different taste preferences - some go for fatty foods, some go for sugar. So you need to use multiple styles of attractants until you figure out which one they’re going for, then go all in on that solution. No reason to think the pest control company was shirking on the work they say they did outside, unless you have a reason to think they’re not reputable. They don’t want yelp reviews saying they’re ineffective.

Will your cat tolerate a water moat around its food?
Pardon typos, I'm probably using my fat thumbs on a tiny phone.

SrGrumpy
Posts: 993
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:21 pm

Re: ants - aargh

Post by SrGrumpy » Mon May 06, 2019 9:36 am

fru-gal wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 5:36 am
Thanks, I read the link. I am a little confused about which Terro product people are using? Something liquid that they drop onto cardboard squares and that has to be reapplied every few days?
I used the Terro on the pieces of cardboard. As @fundseeker notes above, the ants rather like it, so you see a build-up in patronage before they die out. But I eventually gave up Terro because after a while the ants just kept on coming. They really, really loved it.

So I moved to RAID Ant Gel (SC Johnson), which I get from WalMart. And it is killer stuff. Love it.

But as others have stated you really have to get to the source. They are coming in from outside, likely from the garden, so you need to get on your hands and knees and follow the trail. Otherwise, it's goodbye kitty.

Topic Author
fru-gal
Posts: 585
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:48 pm

Re: ants - aargh

Post by fru-gal » Mon May 06, 2019 9:59 am

SrGrumpy wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 9:36 am
fru-gal wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 5:36 am
Thanks, I read the link. I am a little confused about which Terro product people are using? Something liquid that they drop onto cardboard squares and that has to be reapplied every few days?
I used the Terro on the pieces of cardboard. As @fundseeker notes above, the ants rather like it, so you see a build-up in patronage before they die out. But I eventually gave up Terro because after a while the ants just kept on coming. They really, really loved it.

So I moved to RAID Ant Gel (SC Johnson), which I get from WalMart. And it is killer stuff. Love it.

But as others have stated you really have to get to the source. They are coming in from outside, likely from the garden, so you need to get on your hands and knees and follow the trail. Otherwise, it's goodbye kitty.
I think it's pretty helpless to look for a trail, given the vegetation around the house and I can't crawl under the deck, due to arthritis. It is never going to be goodbye kitty.

So far the water moats are keeping the ants out of the cat food,

TBillT
Posts: 695
Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:43 pm

Re: ants - aargh

Post by TBillT » Mon May 06, 2019 10:14 am

I would ask what kind of ants you have?
This year we have a problem with the big Carpenter Ants.
I use Do My Own Pest Control.com mentioned above, for the specific ant type, which has helped.

AMDRO has a newer product ANT BLOCK granules for outside, I am using that now, at Walmart and HomeDepot.
We relied heavily on AMDRO's fire ant product when we lived in deep South for a few years. Yikes I hope they stay south.
Small ants the Terro is usually my go to.

I try to minimize chemicals around the home, but at the moment I need to step it up cautiously.

MindBogler
Posts: 817
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:05 pm

Re: ants - aargh

Post by MindBogler » Mon May 06, 2019 10:22 am

Drainage or grading issues can also cause ants to move indoors. The pellets around the foundation help and Terro baits usually do the trick. I suggest getting two brands at first until you are sure which type your ants will eat then load up on that type.

With cats in the house you can setup the bait under a heavy glass bowl with something propping up a side a half inch or so. The ants will get in and the cats can't.

Topic Author
fru-gal
Posts: 585
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:48 pm

Re: ants - aargh

Post by fru-gal » Mon May 06, 2019 10:25 am

TBillT wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 10:14 am
I would ask what kind of ants you have?
This year we have a problem with the big Carpenter Ants.
I use Do My Own Pest Control.com mentioned above, for the specific ant type, which has helped.
They are teeny tiny black ants. The pest control guy asked if they were carpenter ants or small black ants so I said the latter, since there seemed to be only two choices. I looked up carpenter ants and they are much bigger than the ones I am seeing.

mancich
Posts: 630
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:05 pm

Re: ants - aargh

Post by mancich » Mon May 06, 2019 10:36 am

Terro. Cheap and it works

Copper John
Posts: 171
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:31 pm

Re: ants - aargh

Post by Copper John » Mon May 06, 2019 10:51 am

If you are baiting the ants there may be an increase in the numbers initially and you must resist the urge to spray or kill them. You want them to take the bait back to the nest and it may take days before this effective after seeing them taking the bait.

donaldfair71
Posts: 469
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:15 pm

Re: ants - aargh

Post by donaldfair71 » Mon May 06, 2019 11:24 am

I spray my home with Ortho Home Defense at first sight of them every Spring. It is easy cleanup, doesn't stain the carpet, and doesn't hurt the wall/baseboard.

Really, in whatever room(s) I see them, I go inside and outside the base of that wall and I rarely see them much more. Generally, the problem is solved that day. One container lasts me several years.

UALflyer
Posts: 395
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:42 am

Re: ants - aargh

Post by UALflyer » Mon May 06, 2019 11:32 am

fru-gal wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 4:01 am
The ant bait was labeled Maxforce, and according to their receipt the inside spray was Suspend and the outside spray was Termidor.
The pest control company's approach should work. Termidor is an excellent long lasting treatment that should cause ants to spread it back to the nest, eventually killing it.

Suspend is a synthetic pyrethroid, which will provide very similar results to the chemical such as Talstar (bifenthrin). A lot of people and pest control companies also use bifenthrin as an outdoor perimeter treatment for ants and many other types of insects, but Termidor tends to last much longer and tends to be more effective. What was the concentration of Suspend that the pest control company used?

Did the pest control company use Maxforce gel? It should provide long term ant control, although it'll dry out and will need to be reapplied regularly until the ants are under control. Some people don't like Maxforce because of its color, which is brown and can be more noticeable on light surfaces. Alternatively, you can use Advion Ant, which is white and creamy/clear, and is generally less noticeable (it'll also dry out and will need to be reapplied).
donaldfair71 wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 11:24 am
I spray my home with Ortho Home Defense at first sight of them every Spring. It is easy cleanup, doesn't stain the carpet, and doesn't hurt the wall/baseboard.

Really, in whatever room(s) I see them, I go inside and outside the base of that wall and I rarely see them much more. Generally, the problem is solved that day. One container lasts me several years.
Ortho Home Defense is a 0.05% bifenthrin. The OP's pest control company accomplished the same thing by using Suspend. If there are a ton of ants already inside, spraying bifenthrin, which is a barrier treatment, is unlikely to bring them under control, as it won't kill the nest(s).

For those curious, bifenthrin is also frequently used to control mosquitoes.
Last edited by UALflyer on Mon May 06, 2019 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

3feetpete
Posts: 361
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:30 pm

Re: ants - aargh

Post by 3feetpete » Mon May 06, 2019 11:37 am

Different species will go for different baits. If Terro doesn’t work try Amdro. I used it and the ants were gone in a day and never came back.

UALflyer
Posts: 395
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:42 am

Re: ants - aargh

Post by UALflyer » Mon May 06, 2019 11:48 am

3feetpete wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 11:37 am
Different species will go for different baits. If Terro doesn’t work try Amdro. I used it and the ants were gone in a day and never came back.
Terro and Amdro are different brands, but that's not what the OP should be focusing on. Ants are generally sugar or protein based (some will consume both depending on their dietary requirements), and both Terro and Amdro (as well as most other brands out there) make baits designed for both.

My point is that if you have bought Terro's protein baits, which didn't work, buying Ambro's protein baits is also unlikely to work not because of the brand but because you have sugar ants and you just need to use sugar based baits.

What people should generally avoid are all the instant ant killers, regardless of the brand, which tend to only work on contact, provide no long term control and can actually contaminate your baits and make them ineffective. This is also the reason that you can't use a barrier treatment and then put a bait there.

Grt2bOutdoors
Posts: 20743
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:20 pm
Location: New York

Re: ants - aargh

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Mon May 06, 2019 11:52 am

donaldfair71 wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 11:24 am
I spray my home with Ortho Home Defense at first sight of them every Spring. It is easy cleanup, doesn't stain the carpet, and doesn't hurt the wall/baseboard.

Really, in whatever room(s) I see them, I go inside and outside the base of that wall and I rarely see them much more. Generally, the problem is solved that day. One container lasts me several years.
+1. I spray Ortho as well, use Terro bait traps where ants are spotted outside the home, and seal any external cracks outside the home sill with silicone, if accessible. Also, keep grass and any green plants trimmed at all times. Keep vigilant, every year these buggers are looking for a way in.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

Triple digit golfer
Posts: 3313
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:57 pm

Re: ants - aargh

Post by Triple digit golfer » Mon May 06, 2019 11:54 am

We had a mild infestation about a month ago. I used one liquid Terro bait and 24 hours later did not see another ant, dead or alive. A month later and still not a single ant.

User avatar
GerryL
Posts: 2311
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:40 pm

Re: ants - aargh

Post by GerryL » Mon May 06, 2019 12:13 pm

mancich wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 10:36 am
Terro. Cheap and it works
I save caps from milk jugs and use those to put small quantities of Terro ant bait in strategic places inside the house. Just a few drops. Outside I use the enclosed Terro bait traps.

Keep in mind that some years, perhaps based on weather, ant infestations can spike. In those cases it can be very hard to keep the little pests in check. A few years ago I felt I was being invaded, and there was no Terro to be found at the local stores. Just people standing around looking at the empty shelves.

User avatar
catdude
Posts: 1702
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:11 pm
Location: Central Oregon

Re: ants - aargh

Post by catdude » Mon May 06, 2019 12:49 pm

OP, I had the same problem with ants in the house. I went to Amazon and did a search for "ant proof bowls" and came up with this...

https://www.amazon.com/instecho-anti-ba ... 84&sr=8-13

It's worked like a charm, it took care of the ant problem right away. I urge you to give this a try, I think it'll take care of your ant problem.
catdude | | "Only in America." (Yogi Berra, after being told that the mayor of Catholic Dublin was Jewish)

Yooper
Posts: 363
Joined: Fri May 21, 2010 7:25 am
Location: Nothern Michigan

Re: ants - aargh

Post by Yooper » Mon May 06, 2019 1:14 pm

Which reminds me, snow's off the ground so it's time to spray TAURUS SC around the outside walls of the house (about a foot high and a foot wide on the ground). It's worked for us and only takes a few minutes. Just under an ounce per gallon of water and I've only had to apply once a year. Then again, we're only plagued with ants in the spring/early summer.

TBillT
Posts: 695
Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:43 pm

Re: ants - aargh

Post by TBillT » Mon May 06, 2019 1:20 pm

Yooper wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 1:14 pm
Which reminds me, snow's off the ground so it's time to spray TAURUS SC around the outside walls of the house (about a foot high and a foot wide on the ground). It's worked for us and only takes a few minutes. Just under an ounce per gallon of water and I've only had to apply once a year. Then again, we're only plagued with ants in the spring/early summer.
Thanks...I was going to ask if it was spray-on or you had to dig trench like the old days. Termidor, right?

The other product for ants, I find myself looking up now, is mortar repair for the concrete gaps between blocks that have developed around the house foundation and chimney bricks.

User avatar
Doom&Gloom
Posts: 2780
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 3:36 pm

Re: ants - aargh

Post by Doom&Gloom » Mon May 06, 2019 1:23 pm

The thread linked below may be helpful. I stand by my recommendations from that thread, but be careful to keep the mixture away from your cat!

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=225904&p=3496859&h ... s#p3496859

Yooper
Posts: 363
Joined: Fri May 21, 2010 7:25 am
Location: Nothern Michigan

Re: ants - aargh

Post by Yooper » Mon May 06, 2019 1:24 pm

TBillT wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 1:20 pm
Yooper wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 1:14 pm
Which reminds me, snow's off the ground so it's time to spray TAURUS SC around the outside walls of the house (about a foot high and a foot wide on the ground). It's worked for us and only takes a few minutes. Just under an ounce per gallon of water and I've only had to apply once a year. Then again, we're only plagued with ants in the spring/early summer.
Thanks...I was going to ask if it was spray-on or you had to dig trench like the old days. Termidor, right?

The other product for ants, I find myself looking up now, is mortar repair for the concrete gaps between blocks that have developed around the house foundation and chimney bricks.
Label says 9.1% Fipronil as the active ingredient.

mancich
Posts: 630
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:05 pm

Re: ants - aargh

Post by mancich » Mon May 06, 2019 2:12 pm

To add on to my earlier post, I also use Ortho Home Defense around the foundation outside, spraying every few weeks in the Spring when the weather starts warming up, then 1x per month through to October. I use my pump up sprayer. It really seems to help and is fairly inexpensive. If I see any insie, which is rare, they're usually the really small ones. A couple of well-placed Terro baits, and a few days later they are gone.

FI4LIFE
Posts: 89
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:27 am

Re: ants - aargh

Post by FI4LIFE » Mon May 06, 2019 2:39 pm

I have used the terro drops and premade traps and the drops on the cardboard work best. I get those tiny sugar ants every year in the spring. One terro poisoning usually takes care of them.

User avatar
unclescrooge
Posts: 3414
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:00 pm

Re: ants - aargh

Post by unclescrooge » Mon May 06, 2019 3:00 pm

livesoft wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 5:47 am
I will also say that insect pest control companies are making a business out of people's fears. It's a behavioral thing. They charge lots of money to solve a $2 problem because many people don't like to see harmless bugs in their house like the spiders that eat the cockroaches.

In our neighborhood, pest control companies send salesreps door-to-door to get people to buy their service. They do so when they know insects become active in the spring and the old bait stations people put out months ago have all lost effectiveness.
+1

I put terro outdoor ant baits around the outside of the house every summer. No more ant problem.

Although my neighbor complains constantly about them but doesn't seem to be doing anything about it.

UALflyer
Posts: 395
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:42 am

Re: ants - aargh

Post by UALflyer » Mon May 06, 2019 4:30 pm

Yooper wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 1:24 pm
TBillT wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 1:20 pm
Yooper wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 1:14 pm
Which reminds me, snow's off the ground so it's time to spray TAURUS SC around the outside walls of the house (about a foot high and a foot wide on the ground). It's worked for us and only takes a few minutes. Just under an ounce per gallon of water and I've only had to apply once a year. Then again, we're only plagued with ants in the spring/early summer.
Thanks...I was going to ask if it was spray-on or you had to dig trench like the old days. Termidor, right?

The other product for ants, I find myself looking up now, is mortar repair for the concrete gaps between blocks that have developed around the house foundation and chimney bricks.
Label says 9.1% Fipronil as the active ingredient.
Right, which is the same thing as Termidor SC. It's the same active ingredient and the same concentration. You obviously have to dilute it in accordance with the product label.

Make sure that you do not spray any of it inside. Also, it cannot be used next to any edible plants.

Post Reply