bare root trees - best place or website to purchase from?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
F150HD

bare root trees - best place or website to purchase from?

Post by F150HD » Sun May 05, 2019 9:36 am

Wondering if anyone has experience w/ bare root trees and can suggest a good nursery/website to purchase from? (upper Midwest, Zone 4) Clearly Google has tons of results for this...though some have worse reviews then others, hence my question.

Looking for multiple shade trees (oak, maples etc, not fruit trees) and also a few evergreens to create a privacy fence on a larger property. Not so much interested in fruit trees or smaller trees etc.

Don't have issue w/ trees coming somewhat small. Wondering if Fall delivery and plant is better then next Spring?

I think its too late to order any now to arrive, and w/ the blast of snow we got in Feb, March that didn't help w/ planning this year.

I will still browse Home Depot/Lowes etc & keep an eye on local nurseries, but I need more then '1' tree so buying small groups in mass for cheaper price makes more sense. Input appreciated. Thanks.

"Bareroot trees are so named because the plants are dug from the ground when they’re dormant (leafless), usually in fall, and their roots are shaken free of soil. Kept cool, with their roots packed in moist material, such as damp sawdust, bareroot plants are easy to store and ship in good condition. They can be ordered for either fall or earlyspring shipment.... Such trees may cost from one-third to onehalf as much as a same-sized container-grown tree..."
Last edited by F150HD on Sun May 05, 2019 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Scott

Re: bare root trees - best place or website to purchase from?

Post by Mike Scott » Sun May 05, 2019 9:45 am

I think it is probably best to find a nursery that grows their trees in a similar climate to yours. In the midwest, I like Stark Brothers but they are from a much milder climate than you have. You can check their web page for their recommendations. It's probably not too late to plant in zone 4 if you get them fairly soon. Bare root trees are the standard unless you want to pay shipping on tubs full of dirt which happen to have a bare root tree in the middle of it.

YttriumNitrate

Post by YttriumNitrate » Sun May 05, 2019 9:46 am

The trees they sell are usually small (pencil diameter), but my favorite place for bare root non-fruit trees is my state nursery. At least for the Indiana state nursery, orders for the spring need to be put in before Thanksgiving if you want a decent selection. They sell trees in bundles of 100 or 50 (depending on the tree) and only charge about 30 cents a tree. It's far and away the best deal for trees I've found.

ChinchillaWhiplash

Post by ChinchillaWhiplash » Sun May 05, 2019 9:57 am

Our local Home Depot has some a few years ago. Flowering fruit trees for around $10 with 1" +- and they all did well. Not sure if all HD will get any in or not, but worth a check.

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Sun May 05, 2019 10:13 am

I’ve purchased bare root fruit trees, all from either California growers or Oregon. They are not cheap, just I can find the varieties that I like.
Last edited by DrGoogle2017 on Sun May 05, 2019 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vtMaps

Post by vtMaps » Sun May 05, 2019 10:40 am

We have had very good luck with:
https://www.fedcoseeds.com/trees/
and their catalog is very informative.

--vtMaps
The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true. --James Branch Cabell

mountaingoatcos

Post by mountaingoatcos » Sun May 05, 2019 11:10 am

I live in Colorado and have purchased trees from Stark Brothers with good results. I am in zone 5B. They will guarantee it for a year( I believe) and once I did have to replace one tree and they sent me a free one as a replacement. I have bought peach, Apple, plum, and apricot from them.

Wildebeest

Post by Wildebeest » Sun May 05, 2019 11:12 am

YttriumNitrate wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 9:46 am
The trees they sell are usually small (pencil diameter), but my favorite place for bare root non-fruit trees is my state nursery. At least for the Indiana state nursery, orders for the spring need to be put in before Thanksgiving if you want a decent selection. They sell trees in bundles of 100 or 50 (depending on the tree) and only charge about 30 cents a tree. It's far and away the best deal for trees I've found.

Another vote for checking with your state nursery.
The Golden Rule: One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself.

p14175

Post by p14175 » Sun May 05, 2019 11:39 am

I do not recommend Tennessee Wholesale Nursery. I ordered 5 bare root fruit trees from them and only received 3 of them. One was unmarked so I have no idea what it is. They offered a in-store credit for the missing trees, but I have a feeling that by the time November rolls around, that in-store credit will have magically disappeared. I will send them an email every few weeks 'til November reminding them that they owe me.

minesweep

Post by minesweep » Sun May 05, 2019 12:45 pm

Check out the Arbor Day Foundation located in Lincoln, Nebraska. Even if you don’t buy trees from them they have lots of information on Tree Planting & Care at their website.
Wondering if Fall delivery and plant is better then next Spring?
Tree Care Tips for Fall Planting

Topic Author
F150HD

Post by F150HD » Sun May 05, 2019 5:06 pm

Wildebeest wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 11:12 am
YttriumNitrate wrote:

Thanks to each of you, useful, though it looks like the minimum order in my area is 300-1000 tree seedlings :shock: . That's quite a bit. I'll have to call the DNR and ask what the deal is. I can't imagine a normal homeowner would need 1000 tree seedlings...unless they were reforesting an entire area. Good lead, thanks.
Last edited by F150HD on Sun May 05, 2019 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic Author
F150HD

Post by F150HD » Sun May 05, 2019 5:08 pm

minesweep wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 12:45 pm
Check out the Arbor Day Foundation located in Lincoln, Nebraska. Even if you don’t buy trees from them they have lots of information on Tree Planting & Care at their website.
Wondering if Fall delivery and plant is better then next Spring?
Tree Care Tips for Fall Planting
Thanks, was on Arbor Days site in the past month or few but the reviews on ordering trees from them was downright awful (see FB), I mean really, really poor. Kinda made me sad. Dunno. Thanks.

Trapper

Post by Trapper » Sun May 05, 2019 5:42 pm

I’d take a look at:
http://musserforests.com/

Yooper

Post by Yooper » Sun May 05, 2019 7:46 pm

F150HD wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 5:06 pm
Wildebeest wrote:
YttriumNitrate wrote:

Thanks to each of you, useful, though it looks like the minimum order in my area is 300-1000 tree seedlings :shock: . That's quite a bit. I'll have to call the DNR and ask what the deal is. I can't imagine a normal homeowner would need 1000 tree seedlings...unless they were reforesting an entire area. Good lead, thanks.
Try your local USDA office/extension. Here (http://www.clmcd.org/) they offer both bare root and "plugs". Limited number of plug selection (and they are small) but the survival rate is much higher than bare root. But this is for more or less seedlings (i.e. it'll take a number of years before they really take off and start growing). If you do do the bare root with larger trees, I'd highly recommend going all in and spending a little more by buying bedding soil to mix with the soil you already have to give them the best possible chance of survival. And water copiously the first year. I'd even include Miracle Grow periodically when watering the first year. It's the most important year (with all the stress of being "transplanted") and if they make it through the first year they should go. I'd plant closer together than you think you should, after a year or two you can always thin them out (and depending on the survival rate you might not need to thin much). My theory has always been, "I'd rather have too many trees and thin them out, than not enough and wish I'd planted more."

Topic Author
F150HD

Post by F150HD » Sun May 05, 2019 8:49 pm

Yooper wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 7:46 pm
F150HD wrote:
Wildebeest wrote:
YttriumNitrate wrote:

Try your local USDA office/extension. Here (http://www.clmcd.org/) they offer both bare root and "plugs". Limited number of plug selection (and they are small) but the survival rate is much higher than bare root. But this is for more or less seedlings (i.e. it'll take a number of years before they really take off and start growing). If you do do the bare root with larger trees, I'd highly recommend going all in and spending a little more by buying bedding soil to mix with the soil you already have to give them the best possible chance of survival. And water copiously the first year. I'd even include Miracle Grow periodically when watering the first year. It's the most important year (with all the stress of being "transplanted") and if they make it through the first year they should go. I'd plant closer together than you think you should, after a year or two you can always thin them out (and depending on the survival rate you might not need to thin much). My theory has always been, "I'd rather have too many trees and thin them out, than not enough and wish I'd planted more."
Thanks. By bedding soil, you mean raised bed soil?

The USDA thing....will have to call a local office, thx.

Topic Author
F150HD

Post by F150HD » Sun May 05, 2019 8:54 pm

Trapper wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 5:42 pm
I’d take a look at:
Thanks. Do you have experience ordering from here?

flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Sun May 05, 2019 9:15 pm

I bought quite a few (rare) fruit trees from Stark Brothers. I grow fruit trees for those fruits that cannot be bought easily from grocery stores (pawpaws, Asian pears, persimmons, jujubes, etc.) They are expensive, but good.
You can choose your Zone to match the trees. For flower or shade trees, however, I would just go to Home Depot to buy them.

Topic Author
F150HD

Post by F150HD » Sun May 05, 2019 9:40 pm

flyingaway wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 9:15 pm
I bought quite a few (rare) fruit trees from Stark Brothers. I grow fruit trees for those fruits that cannot be bought easily from grocery stores (pawpaws, Asian pears, persimmons, jujubes, etc.) They are expensive, but good.
You can choose your Zone to match the trees. For flower or shade trees, however, I would just go to Home Depot to buy them.
Looking at 50-100 seedlings (at least). Buying that many trees at Home Depot would be extremely expensive. Shade trees and a few evergreens, no fruit. Thanks.

4nursebee

Post by 4nursebee » Mon May 06, 2019 3:31 am

Trapper wrote:
I’d take a look at:

I agree.
4nursebee

Yooper

Post by Yooper » Mon May 06, 2019 5:01 am

F150HD wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 8:49 pm
Yooper wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 7:46 pm
F150HD wrote:
Wildebeest wrote:
YttriumNitrate wrote:

Depends on the number of trees you're planning on planting and how much you want to spend. I wouldn't go crazy and buy top of the line soil to mix in, just something that has a few more nutrients than the soil you're planting in. Essentially you're just trying to hedge your bet and give the tree a little better chance of survival until it gets established. However, I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination...

Topic Author
F150HD

Post by F150HD » Mon May 06, 2019 5:02 am

4nursebee wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 3:31 am
Trapper wrote:
I’d take a look at:

I agree.
Thanks. Have you ordered from there as well? What was your experience?

Topic Author
F150HD

Post by F150HD » Mon May 06, 2019 5:03 am

Yooper wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 5:01 am
Depends on the number of trees you're planning on planting and how much you want to spend. I wouldn't go crazy and buy top of the line soil to mix in, just something that has a few more nutrients than the soil you're planting in. Essentially you're just trying to hedge your bet and give the tree a little better chance of survival until it gets established. However, I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination...
I see, that's kinda what I thought you meant. Makes sense, thanks.

mrc

Post by mrc » Mon May 06, 2019 5:20 am

F150HD wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 5:02 am
4nursebee wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 3:31 am
Trapper wrote:
I’d take a look at:

I agree.
Thanks. Have you ordered from there as well? What was your experience?

I have. Several times. I planted upwards of 500 trees from them on my lot. A mix of conifer and deciduous. Great price for the product. Especially the precision grown more mature choices. Pay more attention to the age than the height. I needed 5 Colorado spruce last fall to fill in a couple places where some Scots pine died, and ordered 7 year transplants for less than $8 each.
Macs are for those who don’t want to know why their computer works | Linux is for those who do | DOS is for those who want to know why their computer doesn’t work | Windows is for those who don’t

WWV

Post by WWV » Mon May 06, 2019 7:28 am

Have used and can recommend:

https://oikostreecrops.com/

It's a small, family enterprise. Don't let the "tree crop" thing confuse you. They are referring to crops enjoyed by animals as well-think acorns, etc. You have indeed missed their spring delivery window.

I'd also recommend using the RootMaker containers. Their system make the trees develop a very dense root system.

https://myrootmaker.com/collections/kni ... containers

Originally heard about them from a local native tree/plant nursery-the owner was quite convinced they gave the trees a head-start. This give their stock great tolerance for planting directly into native settings-far from water supply etc. I have used their nursery in the past-they ship to a limited number states around Illinois. More here:

https://www.possibilityplace.com/about- ... our-plants

Both of the nursery mentioned would likely give you a better rate when buying in bulk.
"The average investor has only 11,000 more genes than a worm"-New York Times

NotWhoYouThink

Post by NotWhoYouThink » Mon May 06, 2019 7:49 am

My state Department of Conservation.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Mon May 06, 2019 8:53 am

I just get them from my state nursery. Google "(inert state name) state nursery" and see what you come up with. I like this route because they only sell hardy plants for my zone. They shoot me an email when they put them in the mail and a couple days later the mailman leaves them for me in a cardboard tube. I ordered around 16 of them about four years ago and all of them are still doing fine. But with bare root trees, you need patience. The tallest of them is around 8 feet tall. The shortest is perhaps only three feet tall.

Godzilla

Post by Godzilla » Mon May 06, 2019 10:44 am

Hey. I have bought from Cold Stream Farm at least a couple of times for bare root oak species. They are located in Michigan. They were good. I dont like buying from Lowes or other big box stores when I dont have to because i dont want to plant what everyone else is. Cold Stream has tree species you wont find at big box stores. And yeah i would buy from my state ag dept if i had to worry about erosion on my farm. I have helped do this on an uncles farm and its great for that situation. My "farm" is about half an acre in a subdivision though so a roll of 500 trees is right out.

BarbaricYawp

Post by BarbaricYawp » Mon May 06, 2019 11:04 am

Musser is pretty good. Depending on the quantities you need you may also be able to order from a liner nursery. They don't want to sell retail quantities but if you want 50 or so they might be a good resource. Here is one example (no personal experience with this org, just showing the type): https://www.shrubliners.com/
"The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity." --Dorothy Parker

dziuniek

Post by dziuniek » Mon May 06, 2019 11:41 am

I've purchased:

- sour cherry tree
- sweet cherry tree
- hazelnut tree
- 1 currant % 3 gooseberries

from Starkbros.

Everything survived. This is year 2.

Topic Author
F150HD

Post by F150HD » Mon May 06, 2019 7:11 pm

lthenderson wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 8:53 am
I just get them from my state nursery. Google "(inert state name) state nursery" and see what you come up with. I like this route because they only sell hardy plants for my zone. They shoot me an email when they put them in the mail and a couple days later the mailman leaves them for me in a cardboard tube. I ordered around 16 of them about four years ago and all of them are still doing fine. But with bare root trees, you need patience. The tallest of them is around 8 feet tall. The shortest is perhaps only three feet tall.
Thanks. As stated above per a suggestion....minimum order is like 300-1000. :shock:

Topic Author
F150HD

Post by F150HD » Mon May 06, 2019 7:13 pm

Thanks. I did place an order w/ musserforests on their website. Deal through my area this year was the snow bombing we got in Feb then March...even April. Was hard to preplan an order, some places made it sound like they'd ship trees to me in April when there was still tons of snow on the ground.
Anyway, will see how this goes. Would go the DNR route, but looks like that would take 1 year to get in motion. Will keep in mind for future.

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Tue May 07, 2019 12:17 am

F150HD wrote:
Wildebeest wrote:
YttriumNitrate wrote:

I have a huge hill side lot I wouldn't mind turning into a forest :mrgreen:

Doug E. Dee

Post by Doug E. Dee » Tue May 07, 2019 6:25 am

Another vote for musser.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Tue May 07, 2019 7:46 am

F150HD wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 7:11 pm
lthenderson wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 8:53 am
Thanks. As stated above per a suggestion....minimum order is like 300-1000. :shock:
That's a big minimum! Perhaps you can find a few other like minded individuals to split an order. Or feel your inner Johnny Appleseed. :sharebeer

forgeblast

Post by forgeblast » Tue May 07, 2019 7:56 am

Look at your local conservation district. Our county conservation districts all have seedling sales in the spring. If your planting where there are deer 5' tubex tubes are recommended, they are also pushed into the ground to keep voles from eating the roots.
I used lawyer nursery but they recently retired and I am not sure if anyone new bought the business but they were high quality trees.

GlennK

Post by GlennK » Fri May 31, 2019 12:29 pm

Trapper wrote:
I’d take a look at:
+1 on Musserforests.

I ordered 20 trees from them and every single one lasted 3 seasons. Then deer came through last winter and both ate some of the arborvitaes AND rutted against the trees (can't remember the type of tree). All told, 1 dead tree and 3 damaged arborvitaes. I think I am going to sit outside all winter next year and shoot the deer. :)

TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy » Fri May 31, 2019 1:58 pm

Do folks generally plant larger trees themselves, or get professionals to do it?

I have considered myself getting some ever greens for privacy. I almost bit the bullet on buying 6 ever greens for ~$3-400 a pop last fall. But I am fairly inexperienced in this area, and have killed smaller, easier to manage home plants successfully in my past :happy So I stopped short of spending so much money and planting them myself.

mrc

Post by mrc » Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:46 am

TheOscarGuy wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 1:58 pm
Do folks generally plant larger trees themselves, or get professionals to do it?

I have considered myself getting some ever greens for privacy. I almost bit the bullet on buying 6 ever greens for ~$3-400 a pop last fall. But I am fairly inexperienced in this area, and have killed smaller, easier to manage home plants successfully in my past :happy So I stopped short of spending so much money and planting them myself.
Smaller specimens are easier to plant than larger ones as well as being less expensive to purchase. Planting trees/shrubs is not difficult, but you can mess things up. Many set plants at the wrong depth. Too shallow or too deep. And in too small a diameter hole. Dig at least twice the diameter of the root ball. Rule of thumb: don't put a $10 plant in a $5 hole!

I suggest reading through the Planting Instructions on the Musser website to determine whether this is a task with which you feel comfortable.
Macs are for those who don’t want to know why their computer works | Linux is for those who do | DOS is for those who want to know why their computer doesn’t work | Windows is for those who don’t

TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:37 am

mrc wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:46 am
TheOscarGuy wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 1:58 pm

Smaller specimens are easier to plant than larger ones as well as being less expensive to purchase. Planting trees/shrubs is not difficult, but you can mess things up. Many set plants at the wrong depth. Too shallow or too deep. And in too small a diameter hole. Dig at least twice the diameter of the root ball. Rule of thumb: don't put a $10 plant in a $5 hole!

I suggest reading through the Planting Instructions on the Musser website to determine whether this is a task with which you feel comfortable.
Thanks. I think planting smaller ones is easier, but it takes a very long time for them to get to a good size to provide privacy.
Those links don't open up for me.

mrc

Post by mrc » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:46 am

TheOscarGuy wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:37 am
Thanks. I think planting smaller ones is easier, but it takes a very long time for them to get to a good size to provide privacy.
Those links don't open up for me.
Those links are dead to me too, but the information is widely available elsewhere.

There is certainly a trade off on cost and ease of planting between smaller and larger specimens. FWIW We planted three larger 10' ($199 each) Dawn Redwood (Metasequoia glyptostroboides) near our deck for summer shade, and a dozen 2' tall specimens much farther out. We could not tell them apart 10 years later, all were taller than 24'.

Topic Author
F150HD

Post by F150HD » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:52 am

Update. I did order from Musser in late April, trees arrived in early May. 60 hardwood saplings, 60 evergreen saplings (privacy, windbreaks). They took quite a while to plant, 5-6 days (after work and weekend). Its not quite as quick as one would think. One reason is the tree tubes, they have appear to help w/ survival. I only have a few trees that still seem to be struggling. (these are only for the hardwoods)
Took quite a bit of time to accrue 60 poles. Bamboo is too weak to withstand weather here year round, plastic ones are too thin. Considered buying/cutting PVC ones (cheap) but then no way to dispose of the PVC later. I bought a bunch of 1x8s at the lumber yard, made one end pointy w/ a circular saw, and they work fine as poles ($1 each, and cheap)
They also state to not put tree fertilizer in the hole when planting, it can kill the tree. You can apparently buy slow release tablets, though I did not. I did bend a bit and threw in a handful of potting type soil into each hole (has vitamins whatnot), thats about it though.
Musser stated to water them everyday after planting...which can be very time consuming. W/ the wet spring, I watered a time or 2 but then stopped as we had so much spring rain. if soil is too wet it can rot the roots. now I do as needed, but maybe 1x a week if that.
transplant shock is real....had a tree or two struggling at first but in a few weeks they finally took. Anyway, survival rate so far is promising.

-
-
Red Maples and Silver Maples (latter, fast growth)
-
Bur Oak sapling

TimDex

Post by TimDex » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:12 am

St. Lawrence Nursery in Potsdam NY has bare root fruit and nut trees. They are in a colder zone that you I believe. I live near there and have used them for many years. Tim

Edit....this nursery ships in the spring. Best time to plant then is as soon as the frost is out of the ground.
Last edited by TimDex on Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
"All man's miseries derive from not being able to sit quietly in a room alone. " -- Pascal

TimDex

Post by TimDex » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:14 am

Another thought. I experimented last year with planting acorns from my bur oaks and with hickory nuts from my brothers grove of shag bark hickory. I have gotten surprisingly good germination from the acorns and think the hickory nuts, while very slow, are beginning to show. Tim
"All man's miseries derive from not being able to sit quietly in a room alone. " -- Pascal

Topic Author
F150HD

Post by F150HD » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:50 pm

TimDex wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:12 am
St. Lawrence Nursery in Potsdam NY has bare root fruit and nut trees. They are in a colder zone that you I believe. I live near there and have used them for many years. Tim

Edit....this nursery ships in the spring. Best time to plant then is as soon as the frost is out of the ground.
yes, now I know to order in winter for spring delivery and planting. Can also plant late late fall, though spring seems preferable.

Topic Author
F150HD

Post by F150HD » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:52 pm

TimDex wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:14 am
Another thought. I experimented last year with planting acorns from my bur oaks and with hickory nuts from my brothers grove of shag bark hickory. I have gotten surprisingly good germination from the acorns and think the hickory nuts, while very slow, are beginning to show. Tim
I tried a few old acorns, nothing came of them , maybe they were too old. A few of my oaks are doing surprisingly well w/ huge leaves, a few are struggling though still. I need to relocate a few once they are dormant.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:35 pm

TimDex wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:14 am
I get volunteer Eastern Red Cedars pop up in the wrong place on my property so I wait until they are about 8-12 inches tall and then move them in the fall to a desired location. Same with some American Holly. They have all done well. I wait until the second winter in the new location and then sprinkle Milorganite around the base of the tree each winter. Milorganite, by the way, is excellent for discouraging deer in addition to being a good mild slow release fertilizer. I use it around Holly trees and a few other plants that the deer like to nibble on during the winter. It has made a big difference.

edit: I also have so many volunteer Sweet Gum and Red Oaks that I end up just cutting them out with a brush cutter.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

mrc

Post by mrc » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:28 am

Take pictures! We have pictures of our two-plus acres of mostly grass with a few trees here when we moved in. We planted ~600 trees (mostly from Muesser, half conifer, half deciduous), nearly 20 years ago. The periodic photos reveal astounding differences. I can remember mowing between the baby trees, two passes. Then one. Then I couldn't get between them. Now, there is no grass under some of the canopy. The largest trees are well over 50' tall. No matter how good your memory, the photos tell a splendid story!

Topic Author
F150HD

Post by F150HD » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:04 am

mrc wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:28 am
Take pictures! We have pictures of our two-plus acres of mostly grass with a few trees here when we moved in. We planted ~600 trees (mostly from Muesser, half conifer, half deciduous), nearly 20 years ago. The periodic photos reveal astounding differences. I can remember mowing between the baby trees, two passes. Then one. Then I couldn't get between them. Now, there is no grass under some of the canopy. The largest trees are well over 50' tall. No matter how good your memory, the photos tell a splendid story!
What kind of deciduous did you plant?

Personally I have taken pics just like you described, via Google Earth too.

I think the neighbors thought I was crazy....got asked "what are all the blue poles in your yard".....(the tree tubes). I knew it would be an upfront $$ investment, but you only have to do it once. :thumbsup (Already some trees here but chunks of open space I wanted to fill)

Through my area there are some 'developments' where all homes have these huge wide open lawns and no trees. To me (personally) its ugly as heck, I don't care how expensive the home is, it just looks unappealing. Then they sit that way....for years or forever. I just don't get it. Then people mow the huge open yards...but never really use the yards for anything lol. I could see some open space, but a few acres of it is meaningless (to me), unless you have horses or cows grazing.

mrc

Post by mrc » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:48 am

F150HD wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:04 am
What kind of deciduous did you plant?

Personally I have taken pics just like you described, via Google Earth too.

I think the neighbors thought I was crazy....got asked "what are all the blue poles in your yard".....(the tree tubes). I knew it would be an upfront $$ investment, but you only have to do it once. :thumbsup (Already some trees here but chunks of open space I wanted to fill)

Through my area there are some 'developments' where all homes have these huge wide open lawns and no trees. To me (personally) its ugly as heck, I don't care how expensive the home is, it just looks unappealing. Then they sit that way....for years or forever. I just don't get it. Then people mow the huge open yards...but never really use the yards for anything lol. I could see some open space, but a few acres of it is meaningless (to me), unless you have horses or cows grazing.
We felt the same way. Nothing but grass. Hours of mowing every week. We wanted some character, and texture. Some shade. Animal habitat. And we have it.

For hardwoods, we planted: cornus Florida (only few have survived long term), saw tooth oak, English oak (all have died), tupelo, sweetgum, tulip tree, sycamore (plane tree), a couple specimens: magnolia grandiflora, American beech, copper beach, magnolia 'galaxy'

Softwoods were dawn redwood (a deciduous conifer), Norway, Serbian, and Colorado spruce, eastern and western white pine (never again, whites are weeds with bark), Scots pine (most have died, the remainders are dying), a specimen atlas cedar and deodara cedar.

We removed: ~7 maples b/c of roots near the surface, and tendency to break during storms, 9 Bradford pears b/c they split, 2 ornamental plum (died), 3 white ash (emerald ash borer), and soon we'll remove ash #4, probably the largest tree on the lot.

Two original pin oaks are still doing fine and are among the largest trees on the lot (tied with the last ash).