Am I out of line to request a refund for dental work that hasn't been done?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
CobraKai

Am I out of line to request a refund for dental work that hasn't been done?

Post by CobraKai » Sun May 05, 2019 7:06 am

I have a back molar which had a crown go bad last year. I went to a dentist who was confident that he could save the tooth and referred me to have a root canal done. I went back to the dentist a few days ago and he did some grinding of the tooth (due to decay) and installed a temp crown. He also recommended that I go to another professional to get a crown lengthening done. Come to find out, this procedure will cost me another $1400 and insurance will not cover any of it since my max coverage will have been exceeded by that point.

This was NOT previously suggested as a possibility by either the dentist or endodontist. If I knew it was, I would not have pursued this option (root canal/crown) to begin with. I have decided to cut my losses and just have the tooth extracted.

I paid via credit card my share of the entire crown replacement procedure (my out of pocket share) the other day, which was $450 ($100 for the install of the temp crown/prep of the new crown plus $350 for the new crown installation). Insurance was to cover the balance of the procedure.

I have no problem paying for the $100 OOP for the work done on my most recent appointment. This leaves the balance ($350 OOP) on work that has NOT been done yet. Is there any reason I should be denied a refund for the 350?

I am not asking for medical advice. This is strictly a financial question. Thanks!
Last edited by CobraKai on Sun May 05, 2019 8:58 am, edited 10 times in total.

JPH

Re: Am I out of line to request a refund for dental work that hasn't been done?

Post by JPH » Sun May 05, 2019 7:21 am

You approved the plan and the cost. Then you changed your mind. Pay up.
While the moments do summersaults into eternity | Cling to their coattails and beg them to stay - Townes Van Zandt

Topic Author
CobraKai

Post by CobraKai » Sun May 05, 2019 7:23 am

JPH wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 7:21 am
You approved the plan and the cost. Then you changed your mind. Pay up.
The crown lengthening wasn't part of the plan.

SlowMovingInvestor

Post by SlowMovingInvestor » Sun May 05, 2019 8:48 am

If part of the $350 is the actual cost of making the new crown, then I would say you should pay for it since the provider has likely already incurred that cost.

If it's just the cost of installation, then you should ask for a refund.

Topic Author
CobraKai

Post by CobraKai » Sun May 05, 2019 8:57 am

SlowMovingInvestor wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 8:48 am
If part of the $350 is the actual cost of making the new crown, then I would say you should pay for it since the provider has likely already incurred that cost.

I believe it is both. The 100 I paid was for the prep work that was done. The remaining 350 is coded to the crown itself, which looks to include installation as that was not specified separately.

dbr

Post by dbr » Sun May 05, 2019 9:07 am

What did the dentist say? You seem to be implying he is refusing a refund that you haven't even asked for yet, which makes no sense.

The answer is that if they have incurred cost to make the crown it would be fair to pay. If they don't have a cost yet you should get a refund. Some dentists might write off the cost and give you a refund anyway.

james3547

Post by james3547 » Sun May 05, 2019 9:23 am

CobraKai wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 7:06 am
I have a back molar which had a crown go bad last year. I went to a dentist who was confident that he could save the tooth and referred me to have a root canal done. I went back to the dentist a few days ago and he did some grinding of the tooth (due to decay) and installed a temp crown. He also recommended that I go to another professional to get a crown lengthening done. Come to find out, this procedure will cost me another $1400 and insurance will not cover any of it since my max coverage will have been exceeded by that point.

This was NOT previously suggested as a possibility by either the dentist or endodontist. If I knew it was, I would not have pursued this option (root canal/crown) to begin with. I have decided to cut my losses and just have the tooth extracted.

I paid via credit card my share of the entire crown replacement procedure (my out of pocket share) the other day, which was $450 ($100 for the install of the temp crown/prep of the new crown plus $350 for the new crown installation). Insurance was to cover the balance of the procedure.

I have no problem paying for the $100 OOP for the work done on my most recent appointment. This leaves the balance ($350 OOP) on work that has NOT been done yet. Is there any reason I should be denied a refund for the 350?

I am not asking for medical advice. This is strictly a financial question. Thanks!

Sometimes its not known if a crown lengthening will be needed until the time the crown is started. But it should of probably been mentioned up front as a possibility. A little bit if poor communication. At this point you have already paid the endo, it's not their fault, so no money back there. I would have the crown lengthening done and finish the crown.

If you dont want to do that you and the dentist should meet in the middle. Offer to pay for a temp crown and the labs fee for the new crown you started with them. That way your really only paying for what was actually done. That seems fair.

james3547

Post by james3547 » Sun May 05, 2019 9:24 am

CobraKai wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 8:57 am
SlowMovingInvestor wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 8:48 am

I believe it is both. The 100 I paid was for the prep work that was done. The remaining 350 is coded to the crown itself, which looks to include installation as that was not specified separately.
It's all inclusive they probably just split the payment in half since its 2 appointments.

Topic Author
CobraKai

Post by CobraKai » Sun May 05, 2019 11:47 am

dbr wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 9:07 am
What did the dentist say? You seem to be implying he is refusing a refund that you haven't even asked for yet, which makes no sense.

The answer is that if they have incurred cost to make the crown it would be fair to pay. If they don't have a cost yet you should get a refund. Some dentists might write off the cost and give you a refund anyway.
I did not have any communication with the dentist after his work the other day. He had three patients scheduled at around the same time so he was going back and forth between us. I overheard him telling the assistant (who communicated to me what needs to be done) that I will need to be referred for the crown lengthening ASAP and then follow back up with them when it's over. He instructed her to credit my account (as opposed to refunding it).

They did take an impression of my tooth but I am not sure any manufacturing of the crown has taken place. I will have to call first thing Monday and find out.

Topic Author
CobraKai

Post by CobraKai » Sun May 05, 2019 12:02 pm

james3547 wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 9:23 am
Sometimes its not known if a crown lengthening will be needed until the time the crown is started. But it should of probably been mentioned up front as a possibility. A little bit if poor communication. At this point you have already paid the endo, it's not their fault, so no money back there. I would have the crown lengthening done and finish the crown.
That is what irked me, it was not mentioned at all by either the dentist or the endodontist. The endo did a cost break down on each option and it was not mentioned at all as a possibility.
james3547 wrote:
If you dont want to do that you and the dentist should meet in the middle. Offer to pay for a temp crown and the labs fee for the new crown you started with them. That way your really only paying for what was actually done. That seems fair.
That is what I am proposing.

dbr

Post by dbr » Sun May 05, 2019 12:33 pm

CobraKai wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 11:47 am
dbr wrote:

I did not have any communication with the dentist after his work the other day. He had three patients scheduled at around the same time so he was going back and forth between us. I overheard him telling the assistant (who communicated to me what needs to be done) that I will need to be referred for the crown lengthening ASAP and then follow back up with them when it's over. He instructed her to credit my account (as opposed to refunding it).

They did take an impression of my tooth but I am not sure any manufacturing of the crown has taken place. I will have to call first thing Monday and find out.
Then you are getting your money back without even having to ask. It is perfectly reasonable to ask for the credit to be refunded if there are not going to be any further charges from this dentist in the near future.

MtnTraveler

Post by MtnTraveler » Sun May 05, 2019 6:43 pm

Call them and tell them that you don't want to do the crown lengthening. Ask if there is a way to do the crown without the lengthening. I've only had a crown lengthening mentioned to me once when the first crown didn't fit right and I said there was no way I was doing that. They remade the crown and all has been well for the past 15 years. I no longer go to that dentist but that decision came years later for other reasons.

toofache32

Post by toofache32 » Sun May 05, 2019 7:16 pm

james3547 wrote:
CobraKai wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 7:06 am

This is what is usually done.

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Sun May 05, 2019 7:42 pm

OP hasn't mentioned his financial situation. However- not getting the crown because he actually needs to pay for it may be rather short-sighted.

Unless it is a wisdom tooth- life is better with more teeth. Eventually most of us will be without insurance in retirement and may face the choice between continually losing teeth or paying up.

Having said all that- the dentist could have communicated the possibilities more clearly.

Topic Author
CobraKai

Post by CobraKai » Sun May 05, 2019 11:10 pm

dbr wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 12:33 pm
Then you are getting your money back without even having to ask. It is perfectly reasonable to ask for the credit to be refunded if there are not going to be any further charges from this dentist in the near future.
Yes, hopefully there will be no resistance on their end.

Topic Author
CobraKai

Post by CobraKai » Sun May 05, 2019 11:12 pm

MtnTraveler wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 6:43 pm
Call them and tell them that you don't want to do the crown lengthening. Ask if there is a way to do the crown without the lengthening.
When the dentist recommended the crown lengthening, he said he could still install the crown but also said the crown would likely not last.

Topic Author
CobraKai

Post by CobraKai » Sun May 05, 2019 11:22 pm

adamthesmythe wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 7:42 pm
OP hasn't mentioned his financial situation. However- not getting the crown because he actually needs to pay for it may be rather short-sighted.
It's alright but I have several big expenses at around the same timeframe so I don't want to be throwing money away on procedures that may not even work or last all that long. An extraction + implant isn't that much more than what all this would end up costing. I would likely leave it be after the extraction.
adamthesmythe wrote:
Unless it is a wisdom tooth- life is better with more teeth.
It's the back tooth and I don't think I"d miss it all that much. There have been times (even now with the temp crown) that I have had to avoid using it. If it were 2nd to last tooth, I'd definitely make sure to save it or go the implant route.
adamthesmythe wrote:
Eventually most of us will be without insurance in retirement and may face the choice between continually losing teeth or paying up.
That is a very good point. I know retirees with several teeth missing, for that reason.
adamthesmythe wrote:
Having said all that- the dentist could have communicated the possibilities more clearly.
Exactly.

Topic Author
CobraKai

Post by CobraKai » Mon May 06, 2019 10:27 am

Interesting article!

Topic Author
CobraKai

Post by CobraKai » Mon May 06, 2019 10:32 am

I called and requested a refund for the credited amount and it will likely take a few days for the refund to go through.

The good news is they didn't begin the manufacturing of the crown nor were going to begin that process until hearing back from me. The impression they took the other day was not for the permanent crown.

I asked if the crown could be installed without the crown lengthening and was told I was need to come in for another visit and talk to the DDS and being charged for yet another visit.

Topic Author
CobraKai

Post by CobraKai » Thu May 09, 2019 7:53 am

CobraKai wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 10:32 am
I called and requested a refund for the credited amount and it will likely take a few days for the refund to go through.

The good news is they didn't begin the manufacturing of the crown nor were going to begin that process until hearing back from me. The impression they took the other day was not for the permanent crown.

I asked if the crown could be installed without the crown lengthening and was told I was need to come in for another visit and talk to the DDS and being charged for yet another visit.
I thought this was over.....but signed into my credit card website and noticed that the dentist charged me the full $450. The transaction was not the day of my appointment but the same day that I called to politely request that the charge be removed.

This leads me to believe that they did this out of spite because I did not choose to follow their recommended course of action. I think what they want is for me to come back in and pay for another visit to talk to the doctor and/or pay them to have the tooth removed. I did not get the opportunity to talk to him after he suggested the crown lengthening treatment because he was working on two other patients at the same time.

Am I out of line here for seeking a refund for a service that never took place? I specifically told them that I'm okay with paying for the prep done last week but they still charged me for the full amount anyway.
Last edited by CobraKai on Thu May 09, 2019 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

staythecourse

Post by staythecourse » Thu May 09, 2019 8:05 am

dbr wrote:

Good answer.

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle

eggraid101

Post by eggraid101 » Thu May 09, 2019 8:18 am

CobraKai wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 7:53 am
CobraKai wrote:

I thought this was over.....but signed into my credit card website and noticed that the dentist charged me the full $450. The transaction was not the day of my appointment but the same day that I called to politely request that the charge be removed.

This leads me to believe that they did this out of spite because I did not choose to follow their recommended course of action. I think what they want is for me to come back in and pay for another visit to talk to the doctor and/or pay them to have the tooth removed. I did not get the opportunity to talk to him after he suggested the crown lengthening treatment because he was working on two other patients at the same time. Not sure why I should pay for them to remove the tooth when I went to this office to try and avoid having the tooth removed in the first place.

Am I out of line here for seeking a refund for a service that never took place? I specifically told them that I'm okay with paying for the prep done last week but they still charged me for the full amount anyway.
I doubt they did it out of spite, there was probably miscommunication within the office between whomever you spoke to and whomever was placing the charge.

Why would you not have to pay for extracting the tooth? The dentist gave you two options, one of which was a perfectly reasonable plan to save the tooth, and the other was to have the tooth removed. You chose not to save the tooth, the dentist didn't make that decision. If you went to a store looking for a nice stereo and the salesman showed you a $2000 stereo and a $40 boom box, would you not still have to pay for the boom box if that is what you wanted?

Topic Author
CobraKai

Post by CobraKai » Thu May 09, 2019 8:23 am

staythecourse wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 8:05 am
dbr wrote:

Good answer.

Good luck.
It's a good answer but I did ask for a refund as stated in the previous post. They went ahead and charged me anyway. he transaction date of the charge is the same day that I called asking for a refund.

Bobby206

Post by Bobby206 » Thu May 09, 2019 8:28 am

One of my general rules of life is to love thy dentist. Unless you plan to go to a new dentist I would pay the bill, smile, not complain, and move along with life. I don't want anybody drilling in my mouth who has any negative thoughts toward me.

Topic Author
CobraKai

Post by CobraKai » Thu May 09, 2019 8:30 am

eggraid101 wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 8:18 am
I doubt they did it out of spite, there was probably miscommunication within the office between whomever you spoke to and whomever was placing the charge.
I hope not. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and call back and politely ask them to remove the charge again.
eggraid101 wrote:
Why would you not have to pay for extracting the tooth? The dentist gave you two options, one of which was a perfectly reasonable plan to save the tooth, and the other was to have the tooth removed.
It WAS a perfectly reasonable plan. I had it budgeted and then this crown lengthening thing came up, which significantly raises my OOP cost. If I knew about this to begin with, I would not have taken this course of action.
eggraid101 wrote:
You chose not to save the tooth, the dentist didn't make that decision. If you went to a store looking for a nice stereo and the salesman showed you a $2000 stereo and a $40 boom box, would you not still have to pay for the boom box if that is what you wanted?
I never said that I'm not willing to pay to have the tooth remove. :) Maybe I was not clear. My issues is with paying for a crown that was never manufactured.

eggraid101

Post by eggraid101 » Thu May 09, 2019 8:34 am

CobraKai wrote:
CobraKai wrote:

Not sure why I should pay for them to remove the tooth when I went to this office to try and avoid having the tooth removed in the first place.
Sorry to misunderstand, it seemed like you didn't want to pay to have the tooth removed either. The last thing you need is more miscommunication 8-)

Topic Author
CobraKai

Post by CobraKai » Thu May 09, 2019 8:34 am

Bobby206 wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 8:28 am
One of my general rules of life is to love thy dentist. Unless you plan to go to a new dentist I would pay the bill, smile, not complain, and move along with life. I don't want anybody drilling in my mouth who has any negative thoughts toward me.
This is not my primary dentist. My regular dentist installed a crown last year that did not fit and retired so I am already out that money. His replacement suggested pulling the tooth and then I went to the dentist I'm referring to in this thread for a second opinion. He was pretty confident he could save the tooth. Come to find out, I should have listened to the other dentist that recommended pulling it. The tooth has been a black hole in money and time.

Topic Author
CobraKai

Post by CobraKai » Thu May 09, 2019 8:41 am

eggraid101 wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 8:34 am
CobraKai wrote:

Not sure why I should pay for them to remove the tooth when I went to this office to try and avoid having the tooth removed in the first place.
Sorry to misunderstand, it seemed like you didn't want to pay to have the tooth removed either. The last thing you need is more miscommunication 8-)
No problem. What I meant was that I would prefer to pay the previous dentist who recommended the extraction to do the actual extraction, rather than pay the the dentist who suggested saving the tooth to do the extraction. Sorry, my bad.

staythecourse

Post by staythecourse » Thu May 09, 2019 10:38 am

CobraKai wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 8:23 am
staythecourse wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 8:05 am
dbr wrote:

Good answer.

Good luck.
It's a good answer but I did ask for a refund as stated in the previous post. They went ahead and charged me anyway. he transaction date of the charge is the same day that I called asking for a refund.
Did you actually talk to anyone after the charge to see why they didn't refund? Was it intentional or a miscommunication? The other reason the above was a good answer is did they start working on it already thus incurring cost to the office. If so, then it would be reasonable that they still charged you. If not, then I think you have a good argument of not being charged.

Either way communicating with the office of WHY you still got charged after asking for a refund/ cancellation is important.

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle

toofache32

Post by toofache32 » Thu May 09, 2019 10:51 am

Dentist here. Call the office and ask what the charge was for. My guess is that this is for the prep and temp crown already done.

PalmQueen

Post by PalmQueen » Thu May 09, 2019 3:49 pm

You mentioned in your original post that you've reached the maximum coverage with your insurance for this year.
I'm wondering whether there might be a way to delay the new treatment until after Jan 1, 2020.

Might be a better outcome than pulling the tooth.

RJC

Post by RJC » Thu May 09, 2019 7:42 pm

Which molar is it? If it's the bottom, it may erupt over time. Removing a molar without replacing it may also shift the other teeth.

Topic Author
CobraKai

Post by CobraKai » Thu May 09, 2019 11:10 pm

staythecourse wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 10:38 am
Did you actually talk to anyone after the charge to see why they didn't refund? Was it intentional or a miscommunication?
Not sure, going to call back again tomorrow. I suspect it's intentional because I made it clear that I'm looking for them to refund the money related to the work that wasn't done. The lady I spoke to suggested coming back to meet with the dentist and I suspect he wants me back in to discuss further. It's possible there could have been a miscommunication though.
staythecourse wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 10:38 am
The other reason the above was a good answer is did they start working on it already thus incurring cost to the office. If so, then it would be reasonable that they still charged you. If not, then I think you have a good argument of not being charged.

Either way communicating with the office of WHY you still got charged after asking for a refund/ cancellation is important.

Good luck.
Nope. They did the prep work. That was the $80 or so. The remaining cost was for the crown itself. Nothing was sent to the lab nor was there anything to send.

Topic Author
CobraKai

Post by CobraKai » Thu May 09, 2019 11:11 pm

toofache32 wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 10:51 am
Dentist here. Call the office and ask what the charge was for. My guess is that this is for the prep and temp crown already done.
That was the $100. The other $350 is for the crown and work that hasn't been done.

Topic Author
CobraKai

Post by CobraKai » Thu May 09, 2019 11:13 pm

PalmQueen wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 3:49 pm
You mentioned in your original post that you've reached the maximum coverage with your insurance for this year.
I'm wondering whether there might be a way to delay the new treatment until after Jan 1, 2020.

Might be a better outcome than pulling the tooth.
That might be tough The way they explained it was there is not enough of a tooth left for him to be comfortable putting on a crown without the crown extension. I would guess that the chances of a temp crown lasting 7 months would be low.

Topic Author
CobraKai

Post by CobraKai » Thu May 09, 2019 11:13 pm

RJC wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 7:42 pm
Which molar is it? If it's the bottom, it may erupt over time. Removing a molar without replacing it may also shift the other teeth.

toofache32

Post by toofache32 » Thu May 09, 2019 11:48 pm

CobraKai wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 11:11 pm
toofache32 wrote:
That was the $100. The other $350 is for the crown and work that hasn't been done.
Was dental insurance involved? $100 sounds really low for a prep and temp crown, and I wonder if the insurance coverage changes when a final crown will not be made. It's possible that insurance doesn't pay for a temp crown but it's just included as part of the process to get to the final crown.

Topic Author
CobraKai

Post by CobraKai » Fri May 10, 2019 12:24 am

toofache32 wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 11:48 pm
CobraKai wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 11:11 pm
toofache32 wrote:
Was dental insurance involved?
Yes, dental insurance was involved, that covered most of it.

toofache32 wrote:
$100 sounds really low for a prep and temp crown, and I wonder if the insurance coverage changes when a final crown will not be made.
Good question. I didn't think about that.
toofache32 wrote:
It's possible that insurance doesn't pay for a temp crown but it's just included as part of the process to get to the final crown.
I was given a statement by the dentist that stated exactly what insurance covers and what I owe.

Topic Author
CobraKai

Post by CobraKai » Fri May 10, 2019 12:01 pm

I called the office and told them that I would like to have the tooth extracted rather than continue treatment. I asked for a price but they need to get it pre-authorized with insurance first. I probably shouldn't even have it done there since this dentist is the one that recommended saving the tooth, after my previous dentist recommended pulling it, which cost me money that went down the drain.

I was told that I would have to wait 30-45 days for a refund. Does this sound about right? Apparently they have to settle up with the insurance company before they can issue any kind of a refund.

toofache32

Post by toofache32 » Fri May 10, 2019 12:17 pm

If a claim was submitted and has to be cancelled, it can take several weeks or more for the insurance to process this. Otherwise, if a new claim is submitted for this tooth for a different treatment, the claim will be denied. This is fraud prevention. I once had a patient try to submit their own claim saying I did a crown on a tooth. They chose a tooth I had removed 2 years earlier.

Topic Author
CobraKai

Post by CobraKai » Fri May 10, 2019 12:23 pm

toofache32 wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 12:17 pm
If a claim was submitted and has to be cancelled, it can take several weeks or more for the insurance to process this.
That makes sense and is understandable.
toofache32 wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 12:17 pm
Otherwise, if a new claim is submitted for this tooth for a different treatment, the claim will be denied. This is fraud prevention. I once had a patient try to submit their own claim saying I did a crown on a tooth. They chose a tooth I had removed 2 years earlier.
Yikes. So when they submit pre-authorization for the extraction, insurance may refuse to pay for the crown prep and I'll be on the hook for that? Do I need to call the insurance company and straighten this out? If either the dentist or endodontist had mentioned the possibility of needing a crown lengthening in the first place, I never would have went the root canal/new crown route.

toofache32

Post by toofache32 » Fri May 10, 2019 1:08 pm

You should be fine but the process has to take its course. I could be completely wrong on this but just trying to show how these things are not always as simple as they are expected to be.

Topic Author
CobraKai

Post by CobraKai » Fri May 10, 2019 1:16 pm

toofache32 wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 1:08 pm
You should be fine but the process has to take its course. I could be completely wrong on this but just trying to show how these things are not always as simple as they are expected to be.
Exactly! That's why I don't want to jump the gun and say the dentist was misleading me by saying he could save the tooth (when the other dentist said it would not be worth saving). I just wish there was better communication and I would have been told about the possible additional costs up front.