Rotational Program at MegaCorp for college grad hires

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
GatorFL

Rotational Program at MegaCorp for college grad hires

Post by GatorFL »

My son was hired at a Megacorp last year into a 2 year rotational program as a new college grad. He loved his first rotation, and his hiring manager would love for him to stay, but the rotation HR program manager said the program does not allow it. To make matters worse, his 2nd rotation will not be nearly as good as the first. Lastly, they hired someone new with less experience ( a non rotation program person) for 30K more than what my son is making.

This program is discriminatory in my opinion and artificially holding my son back from being successful.

His boss has tried to fight for him to stay but HR is very dominant apparently.

My son is now looking at other companies as a result, which is a real shame.

Anybody else run into something like this? Would like to hear if anyone has any thoughts on this.

I feel bad for him, he has done great work and is getting the short end of the stick here.

Gator
YttriumNitrate

Re: Rotational Program at MegaCorp for college grad hires

Post by YttriumNitrate »

Isn't a main point of those rotational programs to groom people for management who have an understanding a several distinct portions of the business? From HR's perspective, allowing him to stay in one spot would likely "artificially hold[] my son back from being successful."
sandramjet

Post by sandramjet »

So how does he know that the next rotation will be not nearly as good as the first? Does he have a crystal ball that can predict the future? Part of a rotation program is to find people who can do well in all situations, not just who are good in one spot. And as for hiring people at higher salary than the last ... happens all the time. Happened to me 40 years ago...the answer is to realize that it is not the starting value that is important, but the slope matters more. The way to make the slope greater is to work hard to show the company his value.
fabdog

Post by fabdog »

We had a program like this... 18 months, 3 rotations of 6 months each. The competition to get into the program was fierce, so the candidates were quite good.

It was not unusual for folks to say "I really love this job" on the first rotation, and the manager desire to keep them. It was very clear this was not allowed. I had several folks that I told we'd have a spot for them when they finished rotations. Some of them took me up on it, some of them loved the second or third rotation better. That's how it went.

My advice is for him to get on with the program and see what the next rotations have to offer. That's the whole point of the program.

If he really wants to leave the company, so be it. Should be interesting to explain to other companies why he's ditching the rotation program after 1 round (unless this megacorp has a terrible rep, I'd be wondering why he wants out so soon)

Mike
Goal33

Post by Goal33 »

I participated in a program like this.

No raises while in the program. The salary for the next set was way higher due to inflation in wages (specifically in tech)... I spent the last 6 months of the program being annoyed. Later, I picked an area and over the next two years my wages were corrected and it's all good now. Glad I stuck it out but I can relate to being pissed.

He could leave, if he wants, and has options.
snowox

Post by snowox »

Never worry about what other people make. Worry only about what you make and your potential to make. Otherwise you will never be happy. I hired people all the time for the same position at various differences in wages for various reasons. Thats the real world
swaption

Post by swaption »

My advice would be for you and your son to take a big step back from the situation. The words you use, like "discriminatory" and 'holding him back", as well as the comparisons to others in terms of salary and experience have no place in this topic. It's a really bad mindset to have when beginning a career. The path he is taking is a marathon, and he's barely past the first 100 yards. A rotational program can give him valuable experience. I work with some of the largest corporations, and even beyond the junior level they will rotate folks into different roles. Many times they might draw the short straw in terms of what they are doing, and that rotation can last years. But that's what it means to work for a company, you work for the entire company. I think your son has to be very careful to not send the wrong message at this point in his career. Your words above make it all sound personal, which it's not, it's just business. But every indication this looks like a great opportunity.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

We ran a rotation program at my company. We did it for several reasons. We wanted people to get some different experiences. We wanted different managers to get a look at people coming into the organization. Frankly, we also wanted to see how the new employees dealt with change.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

We have a fellowship program very similar to this.

It is a two-year program. No transferring out of the program, period, until at least 18 months in.

Tell your son to relax, learn all they can and do all of the rotations.

It is important to remember that the networking contacts he receives from other rotations will help him be more effective in whatever position he lands.
jminv

Post by jminv »

GatorFL wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 3:08 pm My son was hired at a Megacorp last year into a 2 year rotational program as a new college grad. He loved his first rotation, and his hiring manager would love for him to stay, but the rotation HR program manager said the program does not allow it. To make matters worse, his 2nd rotation will not be nearly as good as the first. Lastly, they hired someone new with less experience ( a non rotation program person) for 30K more than what my son is making.

This program is discriminatory in my opinion and artificially holding my son back from being successful.

Anybody else run into something like this? Would like to hear if anyone has any thoughts on this.

I feel bad for him, he has done great work and is getting the short end of the stick here.

Gator
Your son signed up for this. Apparently he liked the idea of the management trainee/rotational program when he applied. Generally, the idea behind these is you see the business from different angles, get more experience, and have a supervisory position at the end of it, which is where the promotion money comes into play. The company watches you and how you handle different roles. This is all upfront when you apply for the job. Not exactly unexpected that he has to move to a different department.

He should stick with the program and be flexible. I did one of these and staying with the program was half the battle. Lot of people quit because they didn’t like a department/manager or didn’t want to change departments or couldn’t otherwise cut it. They were inflexible and couldn’t put up with something they didn’t want to do. The company used this to weed out people before they ever got to management but I’m certain we are also in different industries. At the end, the ones that are left are the loyal company people that will take on anything, or at least that’s the hope.

Your kid doesn’t like change and is being inflexible since he signed up for this. Companies like change and flexibility. Something to think about. When I did this kind of program, I doubled my salary at the end. I then doubled it again within two years. The whole point was to get into management quickly. It definitely didn’t keep me back. Megacorp will be different and the promotion amounts won’t be as dramatic as that. If I had been that guy who took 15k more for the entry level job instead of the management trainee job, I would never have made the big money as early as I did. Same situation with salary for me. I took the lower paying management trainee job over the role that would have me as entry level for years.

Since your kid is already applying for jobs, I’d suggest he apply for one where he can stay in the same department. Sort of a shame he didn’t stick it out.

I edited this to say that I was deeply unhappy with a couple of the rotations I did but I did my job, tried to improve things in my area, learned as much as I could, and never thought about quitting. I also was jealous of rotations other people got relative to me.
yangtui

Post by yangtui »

This is pretty standard behavior for a megacorp. They probably know that a certain percentage will drop out of the program for one reason or another and it is no big deal on their end. I am not sure how it is discrimination, at least in any legal sense. I have seen and experienced far far far worse at my megacorp job.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

I was in such a program at MegaCorp. There were 700+ applicants for 36 slots.

After the program was over, 18 month in length, different assignments in various departments, the program participants were to be slotted into positions that would be a step up in level at the end.

OP, how on earth have YOU decided the hiring of a person for more money than your son is making, and your son wanting to leave a development program is discriminatory and holding your son back?

I would tell you that there will almost assuredly be someone not as qualified hired over your son and who will be making more money than your son more than once in the young man's career.

The exposure your son will get in this opportunity is very valuable, but being a quitter isn't going to be that valuable.

Don't become the LaVar Ball of your son's career.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Broken Man 1999 wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 5:15 pm I would tell you that there will almost assuredly be someone not as qualified hired over your son and who will be making more money than your son more than once in the young man's career.
100% guarantee :P ... and vice versa
Last edited by jebmke on Fri May 03, 2019 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
HEDGEFUNDIE

Post by HEDGEFUNDIE »

The only thing that strikes me as unusual about this situation is the OP's involvement in his/her child's career.

Reminds me of those stories of parents who show up to their kids' interviews.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

HEDGEFUNDIE wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 5:22 pm The only thing that strikes me as unusual about this situation is the OP's involvement in his/her child's career.

that is not so unusual anymore I think.
jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 »

I do NOT understand why parents get involved with their ADULT CHILD's career development. It is not like the kid is working at the local McDonald's at age 16. I would assume that the child is at least 23 year old and should be a bit more independent that he doesn't discuss everything that goes on at work with his parents.

I am not surprised though. I had one parent call me to discuss his child's job performance evaluation. Talk about a career limiting move.
Tycoon

Post by Tycoon »

jlawrence01 wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 6:31 pm I do NOT understand why parents get involved with their ADULT CHILD's career development. It is not like the kid is working at the local McDonald's at age 16. I would assume that the child is at least 23 year old and should be a bit more independent that he doesn't discuss everything that goes on at work with his parents.

I am not surprised though. I had one parent call me to discuss his child's job performance evaluation. Talk about a career limiting move.
I feel sorry for the "child". Definitely career limiting.
Emotionless, prognostication free investing. Ignoring the noise and economists since 1979. Getting rich off of "smart people's" behavioral mistakes.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

GatorFL wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 3:08 pm My son was hired at a Megacorp last year into a 2 year rotational program as a new college grad. He loved his first rotation, and his hiring manager would love for him to stay, but the rotation HR program manager said the program does not allow it. To make matters worse, his 2nd rotation will not be nearly as good as the first. Lastly, they hired someone new with less experience ( a non rotation program person) for 30K more than what my son is making.

Gator
The key is your son was hired into the rotational program as you stated. The program is there for your son to learn about various aspects of megacorp. He signed up so he should continue. He should learn a lot if he tries hard.

Looking at a new hire and thinking you have same skill sets doesn’t work well — especially as a newbie.
jcar

Post by jcar »

What the OP references is a program with large companies that was quite common in the 80s and 90s. It began to make a comeback especially with European dominated businesses about 5 years ago. When I was part of this in the mid 70s era we referred to it as the gifted child program. This was tremendous training that benefited the company long term and had immediate benefits for the young person. It did bring with it a certain amount of pressure but also forced the individual to make decisions about the carrer path they wanted whilst also allowing the company to fulfill it's needs. To me, Dad needs to stay out of it and let the young person make his own decisions. Throwing words like discrimination around can lead to a quick downsizing of a trainee.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

jebmke wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 5:22 pm
HEDGEFUNDIE wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 5:22 pm The only thing that strikes me as unusual about this situation is the OP's involvement in his/her child's career.

I believe the term for this phenomena is called "helicopter parenting". There have been numerous articles on this including in the WSJ.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
wilked

Post by wilked »

You have heard about the new trend in helicopter parenting, yes?
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

wilked wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 9:47 pm

You have heard about the new trend in helicopter parenting, yes?
Agreed.

OP, your child works at a megacorp now. Give him advice and support but turning to anger at his employer is not ok. He is free to quit if hes being held back and calling his rotation program discriminatory is either a bad choice of words or outright nonsense.

At any megacorp nobody out of college knows jack about how the sausage is made. At mine it takes about 10 years before you can really start confidently standing on your own.
Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 »

Rotational assignments are extremely competitive and almost always result in great jobs. Yet you fee sorry for him?
beyou

Post by beyou »

Often the salary is paid by an HR-like central college recruiting program, not the manager during the 6 month rotation. He who has the gold makes the rules.
Annabel Lee

Post by Annabel Lee »

GatorFL wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 3:08 pm

Gator
Great work? As a recent grad less than six months in? Has he located the cafeteria and men's room quicker than his peers? What exactly has he accomplished so far?

Look, I went through a rotational program a bunch of years ago and understand. Sort of.

3 rotations. 1 was good, 2 was brutal, 3 was the foundation for my career as it stands right now.

So I guess I was exactly where your son is today -- leaving a rotation that I liked for something worse.

I look back on this situation and smile. Had I kicked and screamed, I probably could have stayed in the first rotation. I'd probably be working in the same narrow, low growth niche of my megacorp. I wouldn't have broadened my view of the company. I'd probably be in the same tier 2/tier 3 market I thought was "really cool" at the time. I wouldn't have had chances to relocate and build my network and expertise. And on and on and on...

Tell your son to step back, gain some perspective, and finish the other 3 rotations. If he's a rock star, he's probably welcome back in a year and a half. So he has Nothing. To. Lose.

I look forward to reading the updates on this thread in 18 months...
market timer

Post by market timer »

GatorFL wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 3:08 pm My son was hired at a Megacorp last year into a 2 year rotational program as a new college grad. He loved his first rotation, and his hiring manager would love for him to stay, but the rotation HR program manager said the program does not allow it.
Hiring managers often use HR as an excuse for outcomes they actually prefer. A manager can almost always get an exception granted by HR. Actions speak much louder than words in Megacorp.
Lastly, they hired someone new with less experience ( a non rotation program person) for 30K more than what my son is making.
This is par for the course in Megacorp. Another manager's hiring decisions are often inefficient and made for reasons we can only begin to comprehend. Typically the hiring manager doesn't even want the best person for the job, as the new hire could become a rival.
The worst thing you can do is cultivate a victim's mentality in your son. That would truly hold him back.
Says his boss, who is trying to keep relations cordial in case they work together in the future.
He should always be open to opportunities, especially early in his career. The fastest way to advance is by jumping to other companies or having a credible threat to do so unless he receives an internal promotion.
It's par for the course. Don't expect fairness or a meritocracy. This isn't a classroom anymore. Inefficient decisions and politics move large companies.
It's still the first inning in a long career. Take every opportunity as a chance to learn and grow. You can learn as much from bad management as from good management.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

jebmke wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 5:22 pm

:shock:
msk

Post by msk »

I worked for a Fortune 10 megacorp, did a lot of hiring, a lot of engineering and a lot of managing. At one time I headed up the entire Manpower Planning and Development, including rotation programs and hands-on training/apprenticeship centers leading to certifications, etc.

Dad: keep out. Best service you can do to your kid.
Best advice to kid: Just do each rotation to the absolute best of your ability. Perhaps you have an MBA, destined for a Finance career and you are currently asked to wash test tubes in some lab. Just do it! Well! The larger the corporation the greater the experience the corporation has gained in speeding up the process to make you both useful in the job and flexible enough to meet the challenges of your first posting in far off New Zealand or wherever. Talent is ALWAYS in short supply in any corporation, and all managers (and HR) want to grab and retain talent ASAP. Promotions will come despite scheming and plotting an own career path, not because of them. That MBA may land up in Ulan Bator 5 years hence to be the top dog in a subsidiary with only 5 employees, so he'd better have had some exposure to what on earth goes on in those labs...
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

+1 to good advice above. Perhaps share this thread with son so he can see other’s feedback on his situation.
BarbBrooklyn

Post by BarbBrooklyn »

+1 to backing off, Dad.

Let your son grow up and learn how the world works. He's in a training program. For leaders.

My daughter was in such a program, right out of college. She now makes 4 times what I did at retirement. And still getting raises and promotions Because she sees the big picture.
BarbBrooklyn | "The enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."
Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 »

market timer wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 11:11 pm
GatorFL wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 3:08 pm My son was hired at a Megacorp last year into a 2 year rotational program as a new college grad. He loved his first rotation, and his hiring manager would love for him to stay, but the rotation HR program manager said the program does not allow it.
Hiring managers often use HR as an excuse for outcomes they actually prefer. A manager can almost always get an exception granted by HR. Actions speak much louder than words in Megacorp.
Lastly, they hired someone new with less experience ( a non rotation program person) for 30K more than what my son is making.
This is par for the course in Megacorp. Another manager's hiring decisions are often inefficient and made for reasons we can only begin to comprehend. Typically the hiring manager doesn't even want the best person for the job, as the new hire could become a rival.
The worst thing you can do is cultivate a victim's mentality in your son. That would truly hold him back.
Says his boss, who is trying to keep relations cordial in case they work together in the future.
He should always be open to opportunities, especially early in his career. The fastest way to advance is by jumping to other companies or having a credible threat to do so unless he receives an internal promotion.
It's par for the course. Don't expect fairness or a meritocracy. This isn't a classroom anymore. Inefficient decisions and politics move large companies.
It's still the first inning in a long career. Take every opportunity as a chance to learn and grow. You can learn as much from bad management as from good management.
So much truth in this post.

I talk often to young leaders. One of the things I always say is that the biggest key to success for me was “I said yes.” When given a new opportunity, I said yes. When asked to move, I said yes. When changing functions, I said yes. When taking a role no one else wanted, I said yes. I worked for some terrible people and some great ones and I learned as much from both. I worked in HR, IT, Finance, Marketing, Operations, Quality...whatever.

At 40 I took over a $1B division of a private megacorp.

Those early roles your son takes are NOT what sets up his career. They ARE where he learns new behaviors and capabilities that will build him up. If he really feels like a victim already, he’s doomed. I’m hoping that’s your language and not his. If he’s worried about equality of pay already, he’s doomed. I’ve had more than a few situations where peers or even people that worked for me made more than I did. It’s part of leadership. I’d gladly pay people more than me now to work for me if it meant I had the right skill on the team to succeed.

Put 100% into every rotation. If he’s good enough, there will be a dozen hiring managers looking for him and every manager who says they can’t wait 6 or even 12 months to get that person is not a very good leader.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

BarbBrooklyn wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 6:13 am +1 to backing off, Dad.
Let your son grow up and learn how the world works. He's in a training program. For leaders.
My daughter was in such a program, right out of college. She now makes 4 times what I did at retirement. And still getting raises and promotions Because she sees the big picture.
+2 and Congrats BarbBrooklyn on raising a wise daughter.

OP, not to pile on, but IF you’re going to be involved in this, talk about the bigger picture to your child.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
beyou

Post by beyou »

msk wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 2:25 am Talent is ALWAYS in short supply in any corporation, and all managers (and HR) want to grab and retain talent ASAP. Promotions will come despite scheming and plotting an own career path, not because of them.
I agree with most of the comments to follow the rotation as intended (if one already signed up for this you need to do what was committed). I would disagree with above. Yes managers want young hands on talent, but once you make it to middle management it IS all about scheming and plotting, or sometimes called networking. These training programs help with networking, and hands on talent skills, to help early career but also mid/late career IF YOU STAY AT THAT FIRM.

Personally I have found work satiafaction only by hopping from one smallish employer to another, not trying to move up then corp ladder in a megacorp. The rotational programs support just that, but that is not for everybody.

Out of college I was a finalist for a rotational program many years ago, at a major tech firm. I made it past hundreds of first interviews to 50 finalists of whom 25 would be picked. Had a full day of interview with many managers. All went well except one with a person in Marketing. Note I was an ENG/CS grad and did well on all other tech and non tech interviews. Got turned down, likely because of that one BS session in Marketing. I dodged a bullet getting turned down, as I would have been miserable working with such BS arists in Marketing, if I had a rotation there, and also because this megacorp laid off 10s of thousands just a year later. They are now merged out of existence. Glad I didn’t spend 2 years trying to climb that ladder.

Better to do what you like, and if you find a job you like, getting rotated out in 6 months is not something I would want, especially for a payoff of climbing the corp ladder at megacorp. As a manager myself I have stopped volunteering to take on rotational associates, have no interest in the program. I dont get anything out of it. I miss working for my former mom and pop shop.
Last edited by beyou on Sat May 04, 2019 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RollTide31457

Post by RollTide31457 »

EEDPs are the biggest collection of pampered, whiny and incompetent morons. They are over paid since they perform no actual work.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Gator
You are complaining that the rotation program is doing exactly what it promised to do. Would you be objecting if he hated his first rotation but the manager wanted to keep him because he had some skill the manager needed, and was able to pull him out of the rotation program?
3feetpete

Post by 3feetpete »

Daughter went through something similar. Left the megacorp for a smaller company. Much happier and paid more. Caution; fine print on some megacorp employment agreements requires repayment of any moving expenses or signing bonuses if you leave before 2 or3 years.
BrooklynInvest

Post by BrooklynInvest »

I work in a mega corp and have had dozens of rotational analysts on my team over the years. I would certainly not draw the same conclusions you have.

The fact that they rotate is the entire point.

The rotation across business functions is deliberately structured as a program and gives these highly qualified youngsters an invaluable 360 degree of the firm that will serve the best of them well as they rise through the ranks. "Rotate only until you find a spot" is not the objective and the manager at his first rotation should know better.

I can't say whether discrimination comes into this specific instance but it's far from the only reason this would occur. If your son is interested in the industry the only counsel I would give (and have given) is to embrace and work hard across all of the rotations, especially the less desirable ones, because he'll be evaluated on his attitude across all of them.
Sam1

Post by Sam1 »

I have bad news to share. The bad news is that it’s pretty obvious from your post and assumptions about what is going on, that you have taught your son behaviors that will limit his ability to become successful. I can’t imagine being your age and having such an interpretation of what my child told me. It will be hard for your son to overcome what you have taught him. My in-laws did something similar and have one child who has struggled over and over again during adult life because of how he was raised. Really ridiculous behaviors like making frequent legal threats, starting drama, marrying someone they had an affair with, only being nice to someone if they can benefit you, etc. whereas, the other child distanced himself from his parents and had to learn a lot of lessons the hard way, but has done well.

He needs to put his head down and work hard during every rotation. No one owes him a job. Life is unfair. Don’t assume or play the victim. I could go on. Welcome to the real world.
LiveSimple

Post by LiveSimple »

Let him be an adult and manage himself. You son should be open to the rotational program, and decide later in two years completion. You never know what is in store. Let him not get comfortable, explore, learn and be adaptive.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

GatorFL wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 3:08 pm My son was hired at a Megacorp last year into a 2 year rotational program as a new college grad.
Doesn't that say it all? What is megacorp doing that's so horrible expecting him to honor his commitment? If you want to feel sorry for someone feel sorry for the person who didn't get into the program because your son took the position that would have been his or hers.

OT comment removed by moderator Misenplace.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
Nearly A Moose

Post by Nearly A Moose »

Haven’t seen OP pop back into the discussion, but I he will. You’re getting a lot of great advice here. It may not be what you want to hear, but it’s right and I hope you and your child can internalize it. Another reason these programs are valuable: your kid will meet a bunch of different people at different levels of the company and will keep crossing paths as your careers develop. Always nice to have been in the trenches with the person who ends up being SVP of Ops or whatever.
Pardon typos, I'm probably using my fat thumbs on a tiny phone.