Rarely used items that are worth having?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
GW208

Re: Rarely used items that are worth having?

Post by GW208 » Wed May 08, 2019 6:49 pm

My list:
Portable generator that can power the whole house. I built this into a small shed,

Just make sure the small shed has adequate ventilation so the generator doesn't overheat if you have to run it for an extended period. I have a friend that learned this the hard way.

MathIsMyWayr

Post by MathIsMyWayr » Wed May 08, 2019 9:44 pm

A tall ceiling light bulb changer with a long pole. I used only once to change a light bulb over stairs. The living room ceiling is about two stories high.

RL1013

Post by RL1013 » Wed May 08, 2019 10:56 pm

SuperGrafx wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 10:10 am
RL1013 wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 7:09 pm
Car tire pump and car jump starter both from COSTCO
Seems like everyone on this forum has Costco on the brain.

One can buy a higher quality car tire pump and jump starter at other retailers
Costco is not the only game in town.
Only game in the town with almost lifetime returns

Riprap

Post by Riprap » Wed May 08, 2019 11:00 pm

Floor jack.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Thu May 09, 2019 8:12 am

GW208 wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 6:49 pm
My list:
Portable generator that can power the whole house. I built this into a small shed,

Just make sure the small shed has adequate ventilation so the generator doesn't overheat if you have to run it for an extended period. I have a friend that learned this the hard way.
Yep, I'm all good. I put 20x20 vents at either end, and a 20" box fan (plugged into one of the generator's 120v outlets) on the exhaust side to create a wind tunnel. Runs nice and cool, air temp inside is maybe 10F above ambient. I would guess the generator itself is actually cooler in there than it would be out in the open air, due to the high volume of airflow. I'll probably add a remote temperature sensor at some point.

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Thu May 09, 2019 8:18 am

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 8:56 am
ChicagoMedStudent wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 8:34 am
- A car escape tool that can cut your seatbelt and shatter your side window, such as https://www.amazon.com/VicTsing-Safety- ... way&sr=8-3
- Digital/LED road flares
- First Aid Kits for home and cars
- 12 gauge shotgun
- Reliable pistol
- Extra ammo
- collapsible home fire escape ladder https://www.amazon.com/Kidde-468093-Two ... way&sr=8-3
- Fire extinguisher
- Multitool and/or other tactical knife
- An extra pair of clothes in your car (in case you slip in the mud on your war to work or spill coffee all over yourself, maybe?)
Our house has well water, septic for waste, geothermal heat and cooling, land for vegetables, lots of wildlife, and electric provided by solar and a battery. Our friends joke that they’re coming over if the Zombies become an issue. I tell them to bring guns and ammo, because that’s the one area where we’re deficient.
"I tell them to bring guns and ammo, because that’s the one area where we’re deficient."
In the case of a low probability severe weather event this is the one area where you will likely be challenged given the situation that he home is lit up, remote and not well defensible. Zombies need not apply just a very bad longer term weather event.

pshonore

Post by pshonore » Thu May 09, 2019 8:40 am

mtwhmemn wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 8:40 am
A syphon.

Instead of storing gas in containers with stabilizer, etc...

Your car(s) probably have all the fuel you'd ever need for Honda/Yamaha 1000 watt inverter.
Most of todays cars have anti-syphon devices somewhere in the filler pipe. This may be to prevent spillage in rollovers rather than theft.

mtwhmemn

Post by mtwhmemn » Thu May 09, 2019 8:44 am

Most? Examples? I extracted fuel from my 2016 Honda Odyssey no problem.

pshonore

Post by pshonore » Thu May 09, 2019 8:47 am

Boglegrappler wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 11:57 am
In the interest of accurate information and understanding, a snow roof rake looks like this.

https://www.truevalue.com/roof-snow-rak ... gL4bPD_BwE

And typically, it isn't used to prevent the roof from collapsing. Its useful to minimize ice dams which form under certain winter conditions (heavy snow followed by many days of sub-freezing temperatures, which causes the slowly melting snow just next to the shingles to trickle down to where it hits the eave overhang, and then refreeze, forming an ice barrier that will eventually lead to water under the shingles and inside the house).

Ice dams don't happen regularly, fortunately, but clearing the roof of the snow that is nearest the gutters is a mild help in preventing water damage to walls and ceilings when the conditions are right for ice dam formation.
Most of the ice dams I've seen are caused by inadequately ventilated attics. A well vented cold attic with soffit vents will usually suffice. (unless you push the insulation too far and block the soffits which is common.)

AnonJohn

Post by AnonJohn » Thu May 09, 2019 9:24 am

I have several bike tools that fit in this category. For instance, the massive Park pedal wrench, cup wrench, and guide for cutting head tubes. Would second a car battery charger. I find my sawzall fits in this category too, if barely (might not be worth having!). In the kitchen: immersion blender.

Boglegrappler

Post by Boglegrappler » Thu May 09, 2019 10:49 am

Most of the ice dams I've seen are caused by inadequately ventilated attics. A well vented cold attic with soffit vents will usually suffice. (unless you push the insulation too far and block the soffits which is common.)
Indeed this is the case.

If you can keep the underside of the roof as cold as the external air, then the bottom layer of snow touching the shingles won't melt and trickle down to refreeze at the roof overhang. Most homes aren't well constructed enough for that to be the case, and heat rising into the attic from the home sets the stage for the ice dams. It comes from exhaust fans improperly vented, light fixtures that heat the ceiling of the living area, and other air leaks from inside the home.

snackdog

Post by snackdog » Thu May 09, 2019 11:07 am

cadreamer2015 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 11:32 am
Fire extinguisher
This is probably the most important one.

Some would add a defibrillator since heart disease is the biggest killer in the US, but they cost about $1300.

celia

Post by celia » Thu May 09, 2019 12:16 pm

ohai wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 12:10 pm
Basically, every item that is useless most of the time, but incredibly important when you need it. Like immodium.
...or prune juice

Also need an umbrella (but not at the same time as the juice). :D