Europe with teens - hotel options

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
sunny_socal

Europe with teens - hotel options

Post by sunny_socal » Fri May 03, 2019 8:43 am

So we're going to Europe with our two teens, 14 and 16. I had *assumed* we could just book a hotel room with two large beds and things would work out great.

Turns out:
- Hotels want to know who is staying
- "4 adults" often results in: "We cannot accommodate 4 adults per room at this hotel"
- "4 adults and two children": "Children must be under 12" (or some other arbitrary age)
- "4 adults, two teens": "We cannot accommodate more than 3"

So for our first stop we booked two rooms but this is going to get expensive!

Any tips? We're not going to stay at hostels.

furwut

Re: Europe with teens - hotel options

Post by furwut » Fri May 03, 2019 8:44 am

AirBnB?

pinhead

Post by pinhead » Fri May 03, 2019 8:48 am

At times, I have always just put 2 adults.

Watty

Post by Watty » Fri May 03, 2019 9:02 am

Try using a web site like Expedia and searching for 4 adults and you will likely find apartment type hotels.

Many hotels in Europe do charge "per person" and not by the room so it may cost you more but many hotels have family rooms so look for those too.

Don't automatically rule out hostels especially outside large cities. They have evolved over the years and may be better than you are thinking. In many if not most of them you can get a private room with a bath now so there may be less difference between a hostel and hotel than you are thinking. I have found that in large cities you need to research a hostel more since the quality can vary a lot more and they may be in less desirable areas.

I would also check out the Rick Steves forums to get suggestions.

Prahasaurus

Post by Prahasaurus » Fri May 03, 2019 9:06 am

Can you be more specific? Where in Europe? Which towns, or at least which country?

junior

Post by junior » Fri May 03, 2019 9:16 am

sunny_socal wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 8:43 am
So we're going to Europe with our two teens, 14 and 16. I had *assumed* we could just book a hotel room with two large beds and things would work out great.

Turns out:
- Hotels want to know who is staying
- "4 adults" often results in: "We cannot accommodate 4 adults per room at this hotel"
- "4 adults and two children": "Children must be under 12" (or some other arbitrary age)
- "4 adults, two teens": "We cannot accommodate more than 3"

So for our first stop we booked two rooms but this is going to get expensive!

Any tips? We're not going to stay at hostels.
Try a web site like booking.com or hotels.com and see if theres an option for 4 single beds in a private room. You should be able to look at lots of hotel listings to hopefully find one that meets this criteria.

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Fri May 03, 2019 9:37 am

Just a reminder too, the hotels are generally not as spacious as in the U.S., hence the accommodation questions and pricing.

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Fri May 03, 2019 9:42 am

I would book 2 rooms once they get to teenager age, either that or Airbnb.

Nutmeg

Post by Nutmeg » Fri May 03, 2019 10:23 am

My experience in Austria, Germany and German-speaking Switzerland is that hotel rooms usually had two twin beds, sometimes right next to each other. Therefore, traveling with teenagers required booking two hotel rooms or renting through a service such as Airbnb. In rare cases, one could book a family room, which consisted of two rooms with two twin beds each and bore a price roughly that of two separate rooms.

jminv

Post by jminv » Fri May 03, 2019 10:26 am

Use Airbnb and booking.com to find apartments. Booking.com is big in Europe, lot of cross listed places that are also on Airbnb but sometimes cheaper. Also has inventory not on Airbnb.

I wouldn’t stay in a hotel with 4 people. Usually more pleasant and cost effective to go apartment route.

Prahasaurus

Post by Prahasaurus » Fri May 03, 2019 10:31 am

bob60014 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 9:37 am
Just a reminder too, the hotels are generally not as spacious as in the U.S., hence the accommodation questions and pricing.
Again, it's hard to really answer the question without at least knowing the country. Austria is quite different from France which is different from Croatia...

I would also avoid cheap AirBnB stays in Europe. More expensive ones are usually OK. But cheaper AirBnB is usually a disaster in Europe, unless you get very lucky. It's not a way to save money without a ton of hassles.

caffeperfavore

Post by caffeperfavore » Fri May 03, 2019 10:33 am

Agree with others that say go AirBnB or get an apartment through booking.com or Expedia. You can select different lodging options on Expedia and they have a lot of AirBnB type places now. I've always enjoyed the small hotels and apartments far more than actual hotels, especially in Europe.

crre

Post by crre » Fri May 03, 2019 10:34 am

i would try a short term rental. we've used rentals in norway, italy, scotland and russia with great success. it's not necessarily airbnb -- we've never used them. look under "vacation rentals" on tripadvisor, or google "self catering holiday" or "vacation rental" or "apartment hotel", and of course read the reviews first. personally i also never choose a place without multiple photos of every room in the apartment.

c.

OnceARunner

Post by OnceARunner » Fri May 03, 2019 10:38 am

I would have looked at my parents as if they were crazy if they expected me to sleep in the same bed with my 16 year old sister for an entire vacation when I was 14.

That works at younger ages, but once they hit the teenage years I would want a pull-out or rollaway or something. But as others have mentioned, hotel rooms in Europe are rarely big enough for that.
Last edited by OnceARunner on Fri May 03, 2019 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

msk

Post by msk » Fri May 03, 2019 10:39 am

I find booking.com very helpful worldwide. Just put in one room, 4 adults, and it often finds me either a 2-bedroom apartment, or a luxury suite capable of sleeping 4, or if it fails then just stick in 2 bedrooms. Most hotels in Europe allow a max of 2 adults+one child per room. There is usually a huge price difference in Europe between a 5-star and a 3-star hotel. The latter can be quite satisfactory, and more comfortable with 2 bedrooms rather than trying to squeeze 4 into a Crowne Plaza or a Holiday Inn where the beds are large enough but with only one bathroom... The challenge is to find out which hotel has been renovated recently. If within the past couple of years it ought to be very satisfactory and they often mention it proudly on the hotel website, even with only 3 stars. A 5-star refurbished 5 years ago can be quite rubbish. Worst is to arrive at a 5-star, pay nonrefundable through the nose, and to find out that it is undergoing refurbishment! Sometimes I had to phone the hotel for such data...

caffeperfavore

Post by caffeperfavore » Fri May 03, 2019 11:04 am

If you haven't already experienced this, then understand that beds in many European hotels can be smaller than you would expect. I wouldn't count on two people in each bed unless they don't mind snuggling. We've run into the most extreme cases of this in Switzerland. In many cases, one bed was adequate for two people, but the second was as wide as a crib. It sure looked bigger in the pictures. Another "three bed" suite was really two beds when we arrived. Two of the beds were pushed together to form one full sized bed. Glad we weren't planning on fitting in four people there.

btenny

Post by btenny » Fri May 03, 2019 11:18 am

I toured all over Europe with my two teenagers in 1997. We were on a tour bus and the company always booked us into two hotel rooms. One for my two kids and one for us. Those rooms and beds are small and the bathrooms are even smaller. I would never try to book four people into a room with only one bath..... And whatever you do leave your hair dryers at home. My wife and daughter each ran their hair dryers and blew out the fuzes in our hotel and shut off the electricity. The hotel staff were very upset....

Good Luck.

mariezzz

Post by mariezzz » Fri May 03, 2019 11:24 am

I'd suggest choosing fewer (2-3-4) cities, and booking something for longer than 1 night; 2-3 days at least. You tend to get a break on rates if you go for a 1 week stay with apt rentals.

You can get to know an area better if you stay longer, and in most places, there's plenty to see/do even if you stay 4-7 days. You can also do day trips outside the area.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Fri May 03, 2019 11:30 am

If you want an American style room with two queen size beds I'd see if a Marriott or Hilton could do that. I'd start with the hotel chain website. It will depend on the property and whether the hotel was built and outfitted to specifically accommodate the expectations of American tourists.

renue74

Post by renue74 » Fri May 03, 2019 12:16 pm

Like others say...it depends on the country.

Another option is hostels. In some countries the hostels are OK for families...and have private rooms. Some are really nice...depending.

I've stayed in airbnbs in Italy and Switzerland. They were fine and fairly cheap...but that was was 2 people.

Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets » Fri May 03, 2019 12:26 pm

You should know that in Europe you frequently encounter bathrooms that are small with showers that you cannot bend down to pick up the soap. These bathroom showers are small enough that a typical obese American will have a very hard time of it. Not even morbidly obese, just a typical overweight person. I am not in that category and I find the width of these showers to be narrow.
Sharing such a small space may be time consuming for you all.
You should perhaps stick with business hotels.

langleybc

Post by langleybc » Fri May 03, 2019 1:01 pm

try accorhotels.com, a French hotel chain. Novotel hotels under it are supposed to cater to family travel. And they do have family rooms at reasonable price.

btenny

Post by btenny » Fri May 03, 2019 1:11 pm

Novatel was the brand of most of the hotels we stayed at during our tour with our kids. They were nice places as I recall. Small rooms by American standards but nice hotels.

Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 » Fri May 03, 2019 3:06 pm

bob60014 wrote:
Not as spacious? That’s probably an understatement.

My experience throughout EU is that hotel rooms are tiny by US standards.

fortfun

Post by fortfun » Fri May 03, 2019 6:29 pm

We spent 21 days in Europe last summer. 2 adults and 2 kids. We used Booking.com almost exclusively.

The major pros:
-Many apartments with kitchens. Can do some cooking which really brings travel cost down.
-Generous cancellation policy. We always booked something early and then kept our eyes open for new/better places. When/if they became available, we cancelled the initial reservation and booked the new/better place with NO charges. We had a brand new apartment in Venice and Cinque Terre.
-Excellent customer service. If you have ANY problems, booking.com will take care of you (unlike AirBnB or VRBO).
-We had 10+ reservations with Booking.com and did not experience a single problem with any accommodation.
-They clearly show how many rooms and beds are provided (no surprises).

Starfish

Post by Starfish » Fri May 03, 2019 7:15 pm

For hotels I rarely put in my kid.
AirBnB might be a better option.
For Europe (or everywhere?) Booking.com might be a better option.
Last edited by Starfish on Fri May 03, 2019 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Starfish

Post by Starfish » Fri May 03, 2019 7:19 pm

Bacchus01 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 3:06 pm
bob60014 wrote:

The smallest hotel room I ever stayed in was in San Francisco. The room was basically the bed.
There are plenty of hotels as big as the american ones.

Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 » Fri May 03, 2019 10:08 pm

Starfish wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 7:19 pm
Bacchus01 wrote:
bob60014 wrote:

The smallest hotel room I ever stayed in was in San Francisco. The room was basically the bed.
No, there is not plenty. Your one example does not change it. I’ve been to Europe more than 100 times. I’d suggest that your one experience does not change that.

mariezzz

Post by mariezzz » Fri May 03, 2019 10:33 pm

fortfun wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 6:29 pm
We spent 21 days in Europe last summer. 2 adults and 2 kids. We used Booking.com almost exclusively.

The major pros:
-Many apartments with kitchens. Can do some cooking which really brings travel cost down.
-Generous cancellation policy. We always booked something early and then kept our eyes open for new/better places. When/if they became available, we cancelled the initial reservation and booked the new/better place with NO charges. We had a brand new apartment in Venice and Cinque Terre.
-Excellent customer service. If you have ANY problems, booking.com will take care of you (unlike AirBnB or VRBO).
-We had 10+ reservations with Booking.com and did not experience a single problem with any accommodation.
Thanks for this information. It sounds like booking.com has a lot to recommend it.

fortfun

Post by fortfun » Sat May 04, 2019 4:23 pm

mariezzz wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 10:33 pm
fortfun wrote:

The major pros:
Thanks for this information. It sounds like booking.com has a lot to recommend it.
Yes, booking.com is my "go to," VRBO is my reluctant second. AirBnB has a terrible cancellation policy and I will only use them as a last resort. The only time I stay at real hotels is when I have credit card bonus points. Even then, they are expensive as you aren't able to cook. Yes, can't really say enough positive about Booking.com!

GuyInFL

Post by GuyInFL » Sat May 04, 2019 8:37 pm

2 rooms. Use www.hotwire.com
Choose 4* hotels

3504PIR

Post by 3504PIR » Sat May 04, 2019 11:45 pm

This is common throughout Europe, 3 to a room is fairly standard. A couple of ways around it have been mentioned such as VRBO, et. For the hotel side, you may have better luck with Marriott, depending on where you are going. Their rooms are US sized in every case I can think of. Also think about getting a full sized suite. It will be generally less than 2 rooms and often come with perks like an executive lounge, etc. If you book European hotels, you’ll be better off with 2 rooms based on the size of the rooms in general. Another option, again depending on where you go is bed and breakfasts. If you are going to big cities, Marriott is a great option for bigger families.

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Sun May 05, 2019 9:29 am

Stay with American brand is best, like the Hilton and select the two double beds.

Watty

Post by Watty » Sun May 05, 2019 9:43 am

DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 9:29 am
Stay with American brand is best, .....
I would discourage that. Staying in an American Hotel brand sort of defeats the purpose of going to Europe which you could have a similar experience in Cleveland.

There are something like 750 million people in Europe and many of them are middle class or affluent families that go on vacations. Figure out where they stay when they are on vacation.

One of Rick Steves big points that he emphasises is that when you are in Europe you will get the most out of it if you try to be a temporary European as much as possible.

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Sun May 05, 2019 10:09 am

Watty wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 9:43 am
DrGoogle2017 wrote:
I would discourage that. Staying in an American Hotel brand sort of defeats the purpose of going to Europe which you could have a similar experience in Cleveland.

There are something like 750 million people in Europe and many of them are middle class or affluent families that go on vacations. Figure out where they stay when they are on vacation.

One of Rick Steves big points that he emphasises is that when you are in Europe you will get the most out of it if you try to be a temporary European as much as possible.
As somebody who traveled to Europe for over 30 years. I say go for practicality. Have you sleep in a double bed in Europe? I’m a small person, my husband is not a super tall person either but we couldn’t sleep well in a double bed. Your vacation is ruined if you are cranky the whole day. Granted some places don’t have these American brand, then I would go for cheap.
Through a UK website, back in 2006, I booked 3 days in Paris, La defense area, a bit further out than the center, frankly I wasn’t sure we were able to go, all for £44 for 3 days for 2 rooms, very small standing room only shower with fantastic breakfast. And my kids enjoyed watching Scooby Doo in French. Valuable learning lessons. But we wouldn’t repeat that now.

Starfish

Post by Starfish » Mon May 06, 2019 1:32 am

Bacchus01 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 10:08 pm
Starfish wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 7:19 pm
Bacchus01 wrote:
bob60014 wrote:

No, there is not plenty. Your one example does not change it. I’ve been to Europe more than 100 times. I’d suggest that your one experience does not change that.
Most chains have no size issues. Due to points I end in in Sheratons, Hiltons, Marriots etc. I also used European chains like Mercure and NH. They don't seem to me significantly smaller.
Of course, I compare them with American hotels in cities, close to walkable areas, not in the middle of nowhere.
Watty wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 9:43 am
DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Surprisingly, some people use the hotels for sleeping and not much else. I spend in hotels about 6-7h for sleeping + say 1h a day. How does the Americanism get into me? The experience is outside the hotel, not inside.

Kitty Telltales

Post by Kitty Telltales » Mon May 06, 2019 7:31 am

Why not travel like the Europeans often do, hostels. Your children will experience how easy it is to travel the world on relatively little money. At least try one or two. You can sometimes get private rooms for a group your size. But bring your own towel.

Cactuscoug

Post by Cactuscoug » Mon May 06, 2019 7:42 am

If it were us, we would leave the teans at home, and travel as two adults.

Much cheaper. And less stressful.

And, the kids have years and years to explore Europe on their own nickel.

renue74

Post by renue74 » Mon May 06, 2019 8:00 am

fortfun wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 4:23 pm
mariezzz wrote:
fortfun wrote:

The major pros:
Yes, booking.com is my "go to," VRBO is my reluctant second. AirBnB has a terrible cancellation policy and I will only use them as a last resort. The only time I stay at real hotels is when I have credit card bonus points. Even then, they are expensive as you aren't able to cook. Yes, can't really say enough positive about Booking.com!
FYI....the cancellation policy of airbnb is dictated by the host. I'm an airbnb host and we can choose from 3 different levels. flexible, moderate, and strict. Hosts choose what their property cancellation policy is.

I feel like airbnb is not as "cheap," as it used to be. You can definitely find better European deals on booking.com or through hostels like hostelworld.com.

Don't let the word "hostel," fool you. Many hostels now have private rooms.

caffeperfavore

Post by caffeperfavore » Mon May 06, 2019 8:28 am

Starfish wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 1:32 am
DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Surprisingly, some people use the hotels for sleeping and not much else. I spend in hotels about 6-7h for sleeping + say 1h a day. How does the Americanism get into me? The experience is outside the hotel, not inside.
For me, many of the hotels and apartments I've stayed at in Europe have enhanced the experience. We always try to stay at small family run or boutique hotels or apartments in neighborhoods where you can get an actual sense of the life of the place and its people. I think of starting the day in the lovely little family run hotel in Nice, where we could throw open the giant doors to the balcony and enjoy the cool sea breezes while overlooking a gorgeous little courtyard garden. I think of our conversations with the owners over breakfast and the wealth of information they shared about the city and the neighborhood. It was a wonderful way to start and end each day. And this is just one of many experiences. I could go on and on.

Now, compare that to a generic American hotel, which also would have been more expensive!

fortfun

Post by fortfun » Mon May 06, 2019 1:13 pm

renue74 wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 8:00 am
fortfun wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 4:23 pm
mariezzz wrote:
fortfun wrote:

The major pros:
FYI....the cancellation policy of airbnb is dictated by the host. I'm an airbnb host and we can choose from 3 different levels. flexible, moderate, and strict. Hosts choose what their property cancellation policy is.

I feel like airbnb is not as "cheap," as it used to be. You can definitely find better European deals on booking.com or through hostels like hostelworld.com.

Don't let the word "hostel," fool you. Many hostels now have private rooms.
The problem with AirBnB is they have their own cancellation fee, even if the owner chooses flexible. Unfortunately, you are going to fork over a big chunk of cash to AirBnB no matter what the host selects.

I agree about the hostels. The best lodging that we had during our European vacation was a "hostel" in Switzerland. It had the best view in town and we had a private room!

SC Anteater

Post by SC Anteater » Mon May 06, 2019 1:26 pm

I found a number of places in Europe that had 'family rooms' -- 4 twin beds. I actually wish American hotels had this!

mermer

Post by mermer » Sun May 26, 2019 2:48 am

Good morning!
I would look for family rooms (or junior suites or whatever it is called) or apartments. Hotel rooms are smaller to american standards and two teenagers are same size as adults. Go with booking.com or trivago.com. You can also check on TripAdvisor if you want short term rentals or bed and breakfast. I wouldn’t go much trough the Airbnb route as it is not quite satisfying as in the us. The best policy will be checking booking with free cancellation service (more expensive but will allow you to have a free cancellation until a week or so before your departure) and check again each month just to look if the prices have fallen. And two or 3 months before look at the hotel itself via his webpage.
Cheapish hotel brands will depend on the country but the ibis are clearly an option. Remember, small rooms. Depending on the country you will have different options and different brands (Meliá and NH in Spain, Mercury (accord hotels) in France or Sana’a in Portugal. Those brands will make your stay a little bit more expensive but they are sometimes worth it (they are very difficult to find on booking so check actively for them)
Also I have never been with my parents to a hostel. Depends on the hostels (they usually have family but in Spain counts as Europe it is certainly not a way we are used to explore