Car lost acceleration

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Thegame14

Car lost acceleration

Post by Thegame14 » Thu May 02, 2019 2:09 pm

my 2000 Camry has lost acceleration. I have to floor the gas pedal to accelerate and it doesn't even get up to the 4 RPM mark, going up a hill is painful. The check engine light is NOT on, I am hoping this is an easy fix, but what I have seen online it could be a lot of different things at varying costs, I am hoping it is just spark plugs and coils, or a fuel injection cleaning needed, but worried it will be something insane like catalytic converter, which I already replaced on this car like 5 years ago, or a water pump, which either of those issues would cost in the hundreds of dollars to fix.

We just had a baby and paid $9K out of pocket, I just had two root canals which so far is over $500 and I have another appointment for posts and crowns, and my 5% supposed bonus came in at less then 1%, and no raise, so hoping it isn't the converter or water pump, as money keeps going out the door. Also had a sewage leak right before baby was born so going through insurance to fix and paying some out of pocket costs for things not covered but should be done while they are there, like installing fan in bathroom, electric outlet in bathroom etc. that weren't there before but should have been.

Any car guys think they can help me out and point me in the right direction.

Quickfoot

Re: Car lost acceleration

Post by Quickfoot » Thu May 02, 2019 2:13 pm

Go have a mechanic check the on-board computer and do a diagnostic evaluation. You can also purchase a scanner but most the time a diagnostic will be about the same cost. A highly reviewed locally owned shop will be a lot more affordable than a dealer. A lot of times places will wave diagnostic fees if you have a repair done.

Continuing to operate it with a known problem could turn a cheap problem into a much more expensive one.

Some cars also have "limp" modes that are engaged when certain problems are detected, for example if my tire pressure is too low the car wont let me exceed ~ 45 mph until the tire pressure problem is solved.
Last edited by Quickfoot on Thu May 02, 2019 2:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.

onourway

Post by onourway » Thu May 02, 2019 2:14 pm

Too many possibilities without more specific information. Could be a clogged exhaust/cat as that certainly will reduce power. Many many other possibilities. Hopefully you have a decent trustworthy mechanic!

sreynard

Post by sreynard » Thu May 02, 2019 2:18 pm

Also check the transmission fluid level. My wife's 2001 Buick was doing something similar last month.

Smoke

Post by Smoke » Thu May 02, 2019 2:21 pm

I had a car that would do what you are describing, in my case it turned out to be a plugged fuel filter. Changed the filter all was well.
I really thought it was the transmission.
Arguing for the sake of arguing is something I am not going to engage in.

MindBogler

Post by MindBogler » Thu May 02, 2019 2:23 pm

Maybe the check engine indicator light is burnt out. If not, it may throw a code after the problem occurs more. Some codes have thresholds before they light up.

sk2101

Post by sk2101 » Thu May 02, 2019 2:26 pm

Smoke wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 2:21 pm
I had a car that would do what you are describing, in my case it turned out to be a plugged fuel filter. Changed the filter all was well.
I really thought it was the transmission.
+1. thinking positively, could be it was filled with bad gas as well.

First thing is to read what error codes it is throwing out.

ETA: you can buy an OBD 2 bluetooth scanner for less than $5 w/ free shipping. There is no reason not to have one these days.
Last edited by sk2101 on Thu May 02, 2019 2:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.

MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan » Thu May 02, 2019 2:26 pm

I'd get this to a mechanic ASAP (closest one) and stop driving it in the meantime. A water-pump is nothing compared to the damage you'll do if you lose cooling and drive for a few miles.

Fuel filter would be a cheap fix, not a bad place to check, but I would have a mechanic do that.

Sorry you are a bit cash strapped. Some preventative maintenance will help.

Quickfoot

Post by Quickfoot » Thu May 02, 2019 2:29 pm

No way to know without having someone look but if you've frequently put non top tier gas in the car it's possible the fuel system has deposits (given the age it's possible even if higher quality gas was used). Top tier gas has a much higher amount of detergents designed to keep deposits from forming. If that's what's happening fuel filter and fuel system cleaning could be necessary.

A bit of history, the government got involved and mandated a minimum level of detergents in gas after which the majority of fuel companies DECREASED the detergent percentage to the government minimum. Cheap gas isn't. You can find top tier gas at https://www.toptiergas.com/
Last edited by Quickfoot on Thu May 02, 2019 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Thu May 02, 2019 2:36 pm

If the cat was plugged, you'd experience this exact symptom. If you're getting on the highway and just leave it floored, do you get a blinking CEL at all? (Check Engine Light)
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

rh00p

Post by rh00p » Thu May 02, 2019 2:44 pm

One thing you said is that the CEL doesn't come on. First make sure it works. Key on, engine off and see if it goes on for 5 sec. If it does check for basic things that won't set a code.

Open your air filter make sure no critters built a nest. Make sure no kinks in the intake. Next thing to check is fuel pressure. A weak pump, clogged filter or poor fuel. But that will require basic tools and know-how. Look underneath and check your exhaust. Make sure you didn't hit something that would kink the pipe and impede flow. Mist your ignition wires with a saltwater solution, look for arcing & sparks when you rev the motor.

I would rule out the trans for now because if it was slipping you'd still be able to rev the engine but it doesn't hurt to check the fluid anyhow. if your water pump was seized it would have spit the serpentine belt. If the impeller broke you would be overheating.

If that all checks out you'll need a scanner to read what's going on (and someone who knows how to interpret the parameters). GL.

And speaking of critters, look around and make sure none nibbled on the wiring.
Last edited by rh00p on Thu May 02, 2019 2:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Preparing for the worst. Hoping for the best.

Boglegrappler

Post by Boglegrappler » Thu May 02, 2019 2:45 pm

This seems unlikely, but I'll pass it along.

Years ago, I made a long trip home from college in a Pontiac that had the lack of acceleration symptom, and also very gradually slowed down over time, with the temperature light eventually coming on. After pulling over and waiting a while, it ran ok until the symptoms started again. I drove it a couple hundred miles limping along like this.

To make a long story short, it turned out that it was low on oil, but the warning light never came on.

So, do a couple of dips and wipes of your oil dipstick on level ground, and make sure yours is topped off. Again, it seems unlikely, but its a very easy check to make.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Thu May 02, 2019 2:47 pm

Is it possible your transmission is stuck in high gear? Would explain poor accelerations, especially up hill, and why you never rev above 4000.

If you get on the highway can you get up to speed but it just takes a long time? Do you notice gear changes?

Topic Author
Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 » Thu May 02, 2019 2:58 pm

rh00p wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 2:44 pm
One thing you said is that the CEL doesn't come on. First make sure it works. Key on, engine off and see if it goes on for 5 sec. If it does check for basic things that won't set a code.

Open your air filter make sure no critters built a nest. Make sure no kinks in the intake. Next thing to check is fuel pressure. A weak pump, clogged filter or poor fuel. But that will require basic tools and know-how. Look underneath and check your exhaust. Make sure you didn't hit something that would kink the pipe and impede flow. Mist your ignition wires with a saltwater solution, look for arcing & sparks when you rev the motor.

I would rule out the trans for now because if it was slipping you'd still be able to rev the engine but it doesn't hurt to check the fluid anyhow. if your water pump was seized it would have spit the serpentine belt. If the impeller broke you would be overheating.

If that all checks out you'll need a scanner to read what's going on (and someone who knows how to interpret the parameters). GL.

And speaking of critters, look around and make sure none nibbled on the wiring.
YEs it goes on when key is in ignition, but also other issue, funny enough is I am having a problem with the battery it isn't secured tightly because the arm over the top of it broke, so it I hit a pothole when I turn the car off and back on, it will not work until I adjust the battery, then the car will start, so not sure if that would also prevent the CEL light from coming on, trying to get past these two issue and keep it under $100 if possible, but worried if I take it to any mechanic, it seems like no car repair is ever less than $300, they want to charge $100 plus an hour, charge at least 1 hour diagnostic than another hour or two repair plus parts and boom easily another $300 for a "CHEAP" repair, which would hurt, but more worried they tell me it is cat or tranny or water pump and I have no idea if they are telling me the truth, and then the repair is now around $1K. Which I have, but again, how much money can I keep bleeding at once... Of course I have EF and can use it, but not ideal

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Thu May 02, 2019 2:59 pm

You'll be better served going to a toyota forum if you want to keep the repairs cheaper.

Quickfoot

Post by Quickfoot » Thu May 02, 2019 3:00 pm

Bottom line is the diagnostic fee is probably one you are going to have to pay. It's unfortunate and I feel for you for having your other expenses but unfortunately they don't negate the need for this expense. Read some reviews and pick a highly reviewed local shop. If it's an expensive repair you can always get a second opinion. Also if you do need equipment to be replaced local shops are more likely to be open to sourcing used parts that will save you money.

Your other option is to sell the car, places like CarMax will make a same day offer and I recently had a friend get a much better than expected price from them.
Last edited by Quickfoot on Thu May 02, 2019 3:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Thu May 02, 2019 3:09 pm

[ quoted post removed by admin LadyGeek]

Not the most tactful comment, but it's a $3000 car with problems that might be expensive to fix. If it's not an easy fix, replacement should be considered.

I'm just a beginner amateur DIY, but from the sound of it, I'd first focus on the fuel and air input side of things beginning with checking the air filter, throttle cable and fuel filter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOvQRIRHeMs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H66Mc6mY4-U

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/Discussio ... 5_ds822346

Topic Author
Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 » Thu May 02, 2019 3:11 pm

Quickfoot wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 3:00 pm
Bottom line is the diagnostic fee is probably one you are going to have to pay. It's unfortunate and I feel for you for having your other expenses but unfortunately they don't negate the need for this expense. Read some reviews and pick a highly reviewed local shop. If it's an expensive repair you can always get a second opinion. Also if you do need equipment to be replaced local shops are more likely to be open to sourcing used parts that will save you money.

Your other option is to sell the car, places like CarMax will make a same day offer and I recently had a friend get a much better than expected price from them.
How would that help, I would get $1K-1.5K and then have to buy a new car...... That is more costs not less.. I am hoping someone will recognize this problem and give me a possible solution that I can do myself as someone who knows little to nothing about cars, like I just bought a fuel injection cleaner. How do you change a fuel filter?

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Thu May 02, 2019 3:18 pm

Thegame14 wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 3:11 pm
I am hoping someone will recognize this problem and give me a possible solution that I can do myself as someone who knows little to nothing about cars, like I just bought a fuel injection cleaner. How do you change a fuel filter?
Google and youtube, but be careful when dealing with gasoline. Highly flammable!

There's are different causes for loss of acceleration problems and won't accelerate problems. Yours sounds like the latter.

https://cartreatments.com/car-wont-acce ... d-reasons/

Smoke

Post by Smoke » Thu May 02, 2019 3:21 pm

Thegame14 wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 3:11 pm
Quickfoot wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 3:00 pm

How would that help, I would get $1K-1.5K and then have to buy a new car...... That is more costs not less.. I am hoping someone will recognize this problem and give me a possible solution that I can do myself as someone who knows little to nothing about cars, like I just bought a fuel injection cleaner. How do you change a fuel filter?
https://www.answers.com/Q/Where_is_fuel ... 2000_Camry

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/v ... 52d4c841ef
Last edited by Smoke on Thu May 02, 2019 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arguing for the sake of arguing is something I am not going to engage in.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Thu May 02, 2019 3:24 pm

I removed an off-topic post and several replies. As a reminder, see: General Etiquette
At all times we must conduct ourselves in a respectful manner to other posters.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

mhc

Post by mhc » Thu May 02, 2019 3:34 pm

I would stop by an auto part store and have them read the error codes for free. Right down any codes that come up and google them. I would then clear the codes and go back in a few days to have them read again.

Unless you or a friend is handy with cars, you'll probably need to visit a mechanic.

Nissanzx1

Post by Nissanzx1 » Thu May 02, 2019 3:43 pm

Need ODB Codes first.

This issue could be several things. Check oil and transmission fluid levels. I have this exact problem now on my Honda Element and it’s a VTEC Spool Valve Solenoid. Oil has been leaking on it and it slowly (after 279K miles) it failed.

You have had some recent bad luck. I’m sorry about that. Keep your head up and remember how you feel today. Someday an emergency fund will be in place and this type of event will be a minor inconvenience...

banhbao

Post by banhbao » Thu May 02, 2019 3:47 pm

Thegame14 wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 2:58 pm
YEs it goes on when key is in ignition, but also other issue, funny enough is I am having a problem with the battery it isn't secured tightly because the arm over the top of it broke, so it I hit a pothole when I turn the car off and back on, it will not work until I adjust the battery, then the car will start, so not sure if that would also prevent the CEL light from coming on, trying to get past these two issue and keep it under $100 if possible, but worried if I take it to any mechanic, it seems like no car repair is ever less than $300, they want to charge $100 plus an hour, charge at least 1 hour diagnostic than another hour or two repair plus parts and boom easily another $300 for a "CHEAP" repair, which would hurt, but more worried they tell me it is cat or tranny or water pump and I have no idea if they are telling me the truth, and then the repair is now around $1K. Which I have, but again, how much money can I keep bleeding at once... Of course I have EF and can use it, but not ideal
You should try to get this issue resolved first, in my opinion. You know it's a problem and it is a simple DIY fix. You just need to go to Advance Auto or O'Reilly and ask for a "Battery Hold Down". (Something like this: https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/su ... 09/4742212)

At the same time you can get them to check your error codes, if there are any.

BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon » Thu May 02, 2019 3:54 pm

Quickfoot wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 2:13 pm
A highly reviewed locally owned shop will be a lot more affordable than a dealer.
Not always. I once used a local mechanic with good reviews everywhere, even people on a township local Facebook group recommended him, but this mechanic quoted me more than the dealership cost! I walked away, paid for his diagnostic time and didn't return back.
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Thu May 02, 2019 3:57 pm

Thegame14 wrote:

The battery could very well be effectiing your electronic ignition system. Before you do anything else, secure the battery (you can use a heavy gage wire or rope as a temporary tie down. Then also confirm that both battery terminal connections are tight. While not necessary, it would also be useful if you disconnected the battery ground cable for at least an hour to clear any engine limp mode.

Have you checked your throttle EFI fuse?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzVvTuI7t_M

Many have suggested a code reader, but with no check engine light it's likely that there is no code.
Last edited by neilpilot on Sun May 12, 2019 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic Author
Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 » Thu May 02, 2019 4:13 pm

banhbao wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 3:47 pm
Thegame14 wrote:
You should try to get this issue resolved first, in my opinion. You know it's a problem and it is a simple DIY fix. You just need to go to Advance Auto or O'Reilly and ask for a "Battery Hold Down". (Something like this: https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/su ... 09/4742212)

At the same time you can get them to check your error codes, if there are any.
LOL, I would do this, but I need a second person to help me, because this car the hood is hydrolic and it was broke when I got the car, so one person always has to hold the hood up for someone to work on it, and cant have wife leave both kids in house alone to help. Id have to get a neighbor.

But thanks this is a great suggestion

Topic Author
Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 » Thu May 02, 2019 4:14 pm

neilpilot wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 3:57 pm
Thegame14 wrote:

The battery could very well be effective your electronic ingnition system. Before you do anything else, secure the battery (you can use a heavy gage wire or rope as a temporary tie down. Then also confirm that both battery terminal connections are tight. While not necessary, it would also be useful if you disconnected the battery ground cable for at least an hour to clear any engine limp mode.

Have you checked your throttle EFI fuse?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzVvTuI7t_M

Many have suggested a code reader, but with no check engine light it's likely that there is no code.
I have no idea what that is, but I will look at the video later when I have more time. Have to get little one from daycare.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Thu May 02, 2019 4:18 pm

Thegame14 wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 4:13 pm

LOL, I would do this, but I need a second person to help me, because this car the hood is hydrolic and it was broke when I got the car, so one person always has to hold the hood up for someone to work on it, and cant have wife leave both kids in house alone to help. Id have to get a neighbor.

I suspect that a carefully selected broom handle, 2x4 or another appropriately sized scrap of wood will suffice to secure the hood open.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Thu May 02, 2019 4:27 pm

Quickfoot wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 2:13 pm
Some cars also have "limp" modes that are engaged when certain problems are detected, for example if my tire pressure is too low the car wont let me exceed ~ 45 mph until the tire pressure problem is solved.
This might be it, but there is likely a deeper costlier problem that it reveals.

https://www.transmissionrepaircostguide.com/limp-mode/
Thegame14 wrote:

Instructions:

How to Replace Hood Lift Support 92-96 Toyota Camry
https://youtu.be/V84th2Wcpz0?t=21

Parts:

4326 Fits Toyota Camry 1997-2001 Hood Lift Supports Strut, Set of 2
https://www.amazon.com/Toyota-Camry-199 ... B00SHZK9EW

Optional:

Quickie All-Purpose Cotton Wet Mop
https://www.amazon.com/Quickie-All-Purp ... B001B1AEPS

OT, but dynamic pages and changes are confusing. Anyway, OP, there are better options than the one I linked as an example above.

Are you guys seeing the "What do customers buy after viewing this item?" at the top of the link? (different from the "What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?" in the middle and "Compare with similar items" lower down - all good for finding better options). Has Best Selling and Top Rates options. It comes and goes for me.
Best Selling • Lowest Price
ECCPP 2pcs Hood Lift Supports Struts Rods Shocks Gas Springs for 1997-2001 Lexus ES300, 1997-2001 Toyota Camry
ECCPP
2pcs Hood Lift Supports Struts Rods Shocks Gas Springs for 1997-2001 Lexus ES300, 1997-2001 Toyota Camry
4.3 out of 5 stars 41
$1699
Top Rated
A-Premium Hood Lift Supports Shock Struts for Toyota Camry 1997-2001 2-PC Set
A-Premium
Hood Lift Supports Shock Struts for Toyota Camry 1997-2001 2-PC Set
4.8 out of 5 stars 40
$1889
Update: Looks like you RootSki or the mods cleaned up a few extra accidental postings.
RootSki wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 4:37 pm
Oops :oops:
FYI, I did a little testing and you can delete the last message in the thread using the X button on the top right, next to the Edit, Report and Quote buttons. After you delete the last message, the next to last message becomes the last message and if it's also yours, it can be deleted too. And so on until you the last message isn't yours anymore.
Last edited by inbox788 on Fri May 03, 2019 2:53 am, edited 3 times in total.

RootSki

Post by RootSki » Thu May 02, 2019 4:35 pm

I view this case (car alone, life events notwidthstanding) as over frugalness on the auto mechanic by the op.
Thegame14 wrote:
keep it under $100 if possible, but worried if I take it to any mechanic, it seems like no car repair is ever less than $300, they want to charge $100 plus an hour, charge at least 1 hour diagnostic than another hour or two repair plus parts and boom easily another $300 for a "CHEAP" repair, which would hurt, but more worried they tell me it is cat or tranny or water pump and I have no idea if they are telling me the truth,
A good trustworthy mechanic is worth his hourly rate, and a nice bottle of wine around the holidays. Find the best Toyota specific mechanic near you and hope it isn't something serious. See if he's willing to use salvaged parts (newer than yours) on the repairs.

Also, everyone who has a smartphone should have one of these: https://www.amazon.com/slp/obd2-bluetoo ... cwrdd9h3dp
Last edited by RootSki on Thu May 02, 2019 7:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe » Thu May 02, 2019 7:57 pm

Thegame14 wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 2:09 pm
my 2000 Camry has lost acceleration. I have to floor the gas pedal to accelerate and it doesn't even get up to the 4 RPM mark, going up a hill is painful. The check engine light is NOT on, I am hoping this is an easy fix, but what I have seen online it could be a lot of different things at varying costs, I am hoping it is just spark plugs and coils, or a fuel injection cleaning needed, but worried it will be something insane like catalytic converter, which I already replaced on this car like 5 years ago, or a water pump, which either of those issues would cost in the hundreds of dollars to fix.

We just had a baby and paid $9K out of pocket, I just had two root canals which so far is over $500 and I have another appointment for posts and crowns, and my 5% supposed bonus came in at less then 1%, and no raise, so hoping it isn't the converter or water pump, as money keeps going out the door. Also had a sewage leak right before baby was born so going through insurance to fix and paying some out of pocket costs for things not covered but should be done while they are there, like installing fan in bathroom, electric outlet in bathroom etc. that weren't there before but should have been.

Any car guys think they can help me out and point me in the right direction.
Take it into your local Toyota Dealership for an evaluation and an estimate.

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Thu May 02, 2019 9:30 pm

Your issue is too generic and not specific to provide advice.

Camry's are extremely common so just about any repair shop that works on "imports" can easily diagnose an acceleration/power loss issue on a Camry.

Take it to a local shop and have them diagnose the problem (read the obd codes). Ask for diagnose and estimate to repair only. Let them know beforehand you want only the bare minimum work done to keep the car running in good order. Tell them to call you with the estimate and you can decide if the car is worth the repair cost.

And in the meantime start saving for a newer lower mile car. Life tends to throws us a few expensive curve balls just when we can least afford them. That's why a big fat emergency fund is so important and so good to have.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Fri May 03, 2019 2:58 am

Thegame14 wrote:
this car the hood is hydrolic and it was broke when I got the car, so one person always has to hold the hood up for someone to work on it
OP, I know it's the least of your problems, but for $17 (or less if you can find a better option) and what looks like a straightforward fix, I'd get this done first. It will help save you from needing help holding up the hood, having it bump you (or anyone else) on the head, causing accidentally causing damage in the engine bay, and when you sell it, giving the buyer a poor impression. If I was looking at a used car, having this problem would give me a poor impression that would lower the value of the offer much more than $17.

https://www.amazon.com/ECCPP-Supports-S ... 0146CLT3E/

boomer_techie

Post by boomer_techie » Fri May 03, 2019 5:47 am

Thegame14 wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 2:09 pm
worried it will be something insane like catalytic converter, which I already replaced on this car like 5 years ago
It is very possible that the cat needs to be replaced again. Replacements aren't built to the same standards as the factory original cat. Also, there could be an engine problem that keeps destroying cats.

Topic Author
Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 » Fri May 03, 2019 8:44 am

inbox788 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 2:58 am
Thegame14 wrote:
this car the hood is hydrolic and it was broke when I got the car, so one person always has to hold the hood up for someone to work on it
OP, I know it's the least of your problems, but for $17 (or less if you can find a better option) and what looks like a straightforward fix, I'd get this done first. It will help save you from needing help holding up the hood, having it bump you (or anyone else) on the head, causing accidentally causing damage in the engine bay, and when you sell it, giving the buyer a poor impression. If I was looking at a used car, having this problem would give me a poor impression that would lower the value of the offer much more than $17.

I was told that the problem is the hydraulic that is keeping the hood from staying up, I assume that isn't the part you are talking about.

onourway

Post by onourway » Fri May 03, 2019 8:47 am

Thegame14 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 8:44 am
inbox788 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 2:58 am
Thegame14 wrote:

I was told that the problem is the hydraulic that is keeping the hood from staying up, I assume that isn't the part you are talking about.
A gas strut like that is the hydraulic part that has failed. In the meantime a broom-stick or similar will do the job.

Topic Author
Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 » Fri May 03, 2019 8:48 am

jabberwockOG wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 9:30 pm

Camry's are extremely common so just about any repair shop that works on "imports" can easily diagnose an acceleration/power loss issue on a Camry.

Take it to a local shop and have them diagnose the problem (read the obd codes). Ask for diagnose and estimate to repair only. Let them know beforehand you want only the bare minimum work done to keep the car running in good order. Tell them to call you with the estimate and you can decide if the car is worth the repair cost.

And in the meantime start saving for a newer lower mile car. Life tends to throws us a few expensive curve balls just when we can least afford them. That's why a big fat emergency fund is so important and so good to have.
We do have a decent emergency fund of $50K, but that is to make sure if there is a job loss that we don't lose the house... Plus I hate recurring monthly payments, just sick of them, and they add up.... Worst case I junk the car for a few hundred bucks, put down a few thousand and buy a certified pre owned corolla and pay over 5 years, and have another monthly payment, but I just hate those....

Like this one, $12K 23K miles on it, put $2K down and finance the rest, just hate owing money

https://www.toyotauniverse.com/auto/use ... /35533647/

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Fri May 03, 2019 8:50 am

So a broom stick might solve both the hood and acceleration problems. Prop up the hood....done. Unbolt before the cat.......you can figure out the rest.......done.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Fri May 03, 2019 9:34 am

Thegame14 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 8:48 am
jabberwockOG wrote:

We do have a decent emergency fund of $50K, but that is to make sure if there is a job loss that we don't lose the house... Plus I hate recurring monthly payments, just sick of them, and they add up.... Worst case I junk the car for a few hundred bucks, put down a few thousand and buy a certified pre owned corolla and pay over 5 years, and have another monthly payment, but I just hate those....

Like this one, $12K 23K miles on it, put $2K down and finance the rest, just hate owing money

This is what the emergency fund is for. Spend $12k on a new to you car then instead of making car payments make payments into your savings account. If you lost your job you’d get unemployment benefits—many people forget about that when assuming the emergency fund is only for job loss.

Topic Author
Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 » Fri May 03, 2019 10:52 am

Jags4186 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 9:34 am
Thegame14 wrote:
jabberwockOG wrote:

This is what the emergency fund is for. Spend $12k on a new to you car then instead of making car payments make payments into your savings account. If you lost your job you’d get unemployment benefits—many people forget about that when assuming the emergency fund is only for job loss.
It's not that simple, DW has $20K in her emergency fund, I have $21K in my emergency fund and joint has about $12K in emergency fund.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Fri May 03, 2019 11:03 am

Thegame14 wrote:

If true, $12k is not a bad price compared to what kbb is saying, especially if it's Toyota Certified Preowned. Bad ratings on the dealership, so be careful and don't get ripped off. Watch out for all the sleazy tricks if you go that way. (Low mileage on a newer car - maybe it's spent some time in the body shop -- yup, take a look at the Carfax -- $1-2k discount wouldn't do it for me; need a lot more -- and how can this still be Toyota Certified?)

https://www.yelp.com/biz/toyota-universe-little-falls

FYI, residual on a new 2019 Corollas MSRP $20k is less than $10k. These are probably lease returns that the owner passed up the opportunity to buy them after the lease for under $10k.

Carmax has a whole bunch for $13k under 50k miles. The low mileage ones are a couple of thousand more. I'm wondering why a dealer is undercutting Carmax and where they're going to make up the profits.

Teague

Post by Teague » Fri May 03, 2019 11:15 am

As others mentioned there are all kinds of things that can cause loss of power, too many possibilities to effectively solve the problem in this forum. This is kind of like saying you have a vague abdominal pain and asking for a diagnosis from a random bunch of strangers. Someone may come up with the correct answer, but you will get a lot of wild guesses in the process.

The first thing to do is properly secure that loose lead-acid battery bouncing around under your hood. That's just plain dangerous the way it is now.

Since you seem thoroughly disinclined to pay someone who is actually qualified to diagnose the problem, the "free" solution is to go to one of the auto parts stores that will read stored codes for free. A "diagnostician" who sells auto parts for a living will then give you their opinion on your best course of action, and probably sell you some parts in the process. This may or may not do any good. Or you could just start replacing parts and see what happens, starting at the headlights and working toward the rear bumper.
Semper Augustus

Quickfoot

Post by Quickfoot » Fri May 03, 2019 12:57 pm

I agree, the OP has been given a good amount of advice but seems to find reasons to resist spending money to resolve the issue. This is unfortunately a case where you need to either spend some money and fix it, buy a new car, or drive it with the problem and be aware your car may suddenly stop working. As others have said, this is precisely the reason to have an emergency fund, which the OP has available to them.

There simply isn't a "push this button and your problem will be solved at zero or low cost" solution to this problem. It is very likely more money and time will be spent bouncing around and trying random solutions than just taking it to a qualified professional.

The lack of appetite for spending money unfortunately doesn't eliminate the need.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Fri May 03, 2019 1:07 pm

Thegame14 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 10:52 am
It's not that simple, DW has $20K in her emergency fund, I have $21K in my emergency fund and joint has about $12K in emergency fund.
Seems pretty simple to me!

onourway

Post by onourway » Fri May 03, 2019 1:10 pm

You have $53k in your emergency fund. Time to put some of it to use.

foamypirate

Post by foamypirate » Fri May 03, 2019 1:16 pm

Penny wise, pound foolish.

Topic Author
Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 » Fri May 03, 2019 1:25 pm

Quickfoot wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 12:57 pm
I agree, the OP has been given a good amount of advice but seems to find reasons to resist spending money to resolve the issue. This is unfortunately a case where you need to either spend some money and fix it, buy a new car, or drive it with the problem and be aware your car may suddenly stop working. As others have said, this is precisely the reason to have an emergency fund, which the OP has available to them.

There simply isn't a "push this button and your problem will be solved at zero or low cost" solution to this problem. It is very likely more money and time will be spent bouncing around and trying random solutions than just taking it to a qualified professional.

The lack of appetite for spending money unfortunately doesn't eliminate the need.
I am not adverse to spending money to fix, but have had over $10K in extra expenses in the last few months, plus wife on maternity earning half income for 3 months.... So I would be fine paying someone $100 to put secure the battery and whatever small fix for the acceleration, fuel filter, fuel injector cleaner which I already ordered, fixing a valve or sensor. But I am worried that every time I take a car to a mechanic it is never ever less than $300 and that is on a good day, it is always a BS diagnostic one hour at a crazy $100 per hour rate, then at least another hour to fix and then parts, and easily a small thing is $300. Or he could tell me it is catalytic converter, fuel pump or tranny and basically the car is worthless.... since those repairs are probably over $1K and I would have no idea if they are needed or not vs the simple fix.

onourway

Post by onourway » Fri May 03, 2019 1:31 pm

Thegame14 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 1:25 pm
Quickfoot wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 12:57 pm

I am not adverse to spending money to fix, but have had over $10K in extra expenses in the last few months, plus wife on maternity earning half income for 3 months.... So I would be fine paying someone $100 to put secure the battery and whatever small fix for the acceleration, fuel filter, fuel injector cleaner which I already ordered, fixing a valve or sensor. But I am worried that every time I take a car to a mechanic it is never ever less than $300 and that is on a good day, it is always a BS diagnostic one hour at a crazy $100 per hour rate, then at least another hour to fix and then parts, and easily a small thing is $300. Or he could tell me it is catalytic converter, fuel pump or tranny and basically the car is worthless.... since those repairs are probably over $1K and I would have no idea if they are needed or not vs the simple fix.
You should expect that a vehicle of the age of your Camry will incur maintenance and repair expenses of, on average, $100-200/month, or about $2000/year. It might help you to budget explicitly for this so that you are more comfortable spending the funds when needed, rather than moving to a new car over a few hundred or even a thousand dollars in repairs which might keep you on the road for another year or two.

However, in order to do the above, you need to find a competent, trustworthy mechanic who will only do legitimate repairs at a fair price.

surfstar

Post by surfstar » Fri May 03, 2019 1:35 pm

Buy a more reliable and SAFER car
You have child(ren) to think of.

Return the TV if you bought one
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=279500&p=4509458#p4509458