Hiring a contractor to cut down some trees....what should I be aware of?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Doom&Gloom

Re: Hiring a contractor to cut down some trees....what should I be aware of?

Post by Doom&Gloom » Thu May 02, 2019 12:08 pm

CobraKai wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 11:51 am
Doom&Gloom wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 10:33 am
CobraKai wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 11:44 pm
dm200 wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 3:56 pm
3. Check some references
How do you get references? Find reviews online and contact them?
dm200 wrote:
5. BE THERE and watch the work being done.
Stand there and watch them the whole time? Is this to make sure the job is done right? I figured they would do the job on a weekday on a day that I normally work, although I could take a day off of work or see if they can do the work on one of my off days.
It is worth taking a day off to watch them to be sure the job is done exactly as you wanted. We have guys who have been cutting trees for us for nearly 20 years. They have never let me down, but I wouldn't think of not observing what they are doing.

In response to your other question, don't pay a cent until after the job is done to your satisfaction.
HomeStretch wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 10:55 am
CobraKai wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 10:06 am
I would suspect that they wouldn't be too happy with me standing there and watching them, I know I wouldn't be if I were them. If they do happen to drop a tree in a bad spot, they do have my number.
I watch especially if the crew is also trimming.
Do you watch them the whole time? They don't ask you why you're not at work? :)
It is none of their business when I work. They also seem very used to people watching them do their job as most people find it fascinating as was posted above.

I find it interesting that you are spending so much time nailing down details that I have never even considered, but don't want to sacrifice a bit of time to ensure that you don't discover a surprise after you have paid them and they are gone. Puzzling.

Topic Author
CobraKai

Post by CobraKai » Thu May 02, 2019 12:13 pm

Doom&Gloom wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 12:08 pm
It is none of their business when I work. They also seem very used to people watching them do their job as most people find it fascinating as was posted above.

I find it interesting that you are spending so much time nailing down details that I have never even considered, but don't want to sacrifice a bit of time to ensure that you don't discover a surprise after you have paid them and they are gone. Puzzling.
You're expected to pay them before they go or can they send a bill? I apologize for my ignorance, haven't dealt with too many contractors.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Thu May 02, 2019 12:18 pm

CobraKai wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 12:13 pm
Doom&Gloom wrote:

You're expected to pay them before they go or can they send a bill? I apologize for my ignorance, haven't dealt with too many contractors.
In my part of the country these guys want to be paid when the job is completed. I can't speak to how some of the high-falutin' arborists expect to be paid :wink:

dm200

Post by dm200 » Thu May 02, 2019 4:40 pm

Doom&Gloom wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 12:18 pm
CobraKai wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 12:13 pm
Doom&Gloom wrote:
In my part of the country these guys want to be paid when the job is completed. I can't speak to how some of the high-falutin' arborists expect to be paid :wink:
Yes. When we had our tree cut down, I paid the bill (as quoted before the job was done) in cash as soon as the job was complete - just before they left.

In our case, the large, old tree was very close to BOTH our house and the next door neighbor - so there was a potential significant risk to both houses. Since I watched the whole process - I was very confident there would be no later surprises. I am semi-retired, now, so work was not a problem.

Most of these folks are very small businesses and I am quite sure most of them want/need immediate payment. I was happy to oblige them.

Topic Author
CobraKai

Post by CobraKai » Fri May 10, 2019 12:06 pm

UPDATE
---------

I went ahead and received three estimates. Two were in the same ballpark (1400 for removal plus another 300 for stump grinding). Another estimate was 1000 for BOTH removal and stump grinding. Too good to be true? After asking him to send me an estimate, I noticed there is no workman's comp coverage on the certificate (although there is liability up to 300k). His estimate says that he has workman's comp though. I think he either works by himself or has a business partner that accompanies him so that may be why he has no workman's comp. He left a message this morning asking if I made a decision yet, but I'm a bit leery of the lack of workman's comp, even with his price significantly less. Is workman's comp not required if the business owner(s) work on the job themselves and this means there is no coverage if there is an injury?

not4me

Post by not4me » Fri May 10, 2019 4:12 pm

CobraKai wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 12:06 pm
Is workman's comp not required if the business owner(s) work on the job themselves and this means there is no coverage if there is an injury?
Not sure who's "requirement" you are referring to. I think the potential impact to you varies to a degree based on local law. Even in best case scenario, if something goes awry is the $400 worth the hassle? You may ultimately not be liable, but that won't stop him from trying. That being said, it is likely an honest person trying to get started & needing the business. Might not even consider trying to come after you if he makes a mistake. Several years ago, I had to turn down a contractor in a somewhat similar situation. Possibly risky task, more $ involved. I pressed the guy about his lower estimate & he owned up to not being able to get some insurance because he hired guys with difficult past that were trying to rehabilitate. I honestly thought he was trying to help others, but just couldn't see taking the risk myself. He kept up with him for a while & he really did do some good work for a few I knew (that knowingly took the risk).

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Fri May 10, 2019 5:29 pm

CobraKai wrote:
After asking him to send me an estimate, I noticed there is no workman's comp coverage on the certificate (although there is liability up to 300k). His estimate says that he has workman's comp though. I think he either works by himself or has a business partner that accompanies him so that may be why he has no workman's comp.
Shouldn't you just ask him about it?

retire2022

Post by retire2022 » Fri May 10, 2019 5:31 pm

Op

I had 9 trees (rural area Oct 2016) which cost me $1600 cut in upstate NY, this was done when rare bats/birds were not around, my co-worker is an Environmentalist. You could get fined by local fish & wildlife officers as explained by my co-worker.

One of the trees was a cherry tree, which the transformer electrical wire was ingrown onto the side of the branches, a large section was probably taken by arborist, he was licensed and bonded for electrical work and was interested on working on my property. I was not there when he did this, I have no issue with possible missing lumber.

They did not cut the wood in usable pieces, as that was part of the price. I was ok with that, however if you ever seen tree cutting fails I suggest you google them on youtube, it is a dangerous profession and you could be killed and serious injured, and your property garage or house seriously crushed by the fallen tree.

here is one video as an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwPhoje32J0

I recently found a local wood turner and he is interested in working with me to take dead trees or lumber off my 89 acres property.

Make sure your contractor put your name as additionally insured, and tell him your check will go out in receipt of revised insurance certificate (accord form)
Last edited by retire2022 on Fri May 10, 2019 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Fri May 10, 2019 5:35 pm

Doom&Gloom wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 10:33 am
CobraKai wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 11:44 pm
dm200 wrote:
3. Check some references
How do you get references? Find reviews online and contact them?
dm200 wrote:
5. BE THERE and watch the work being done.
Stand there and watch them the whole time? Is this to make sure the job is done right? I figured they would do the job on a weekday on a day that I normally work, although I could take a day off of work or see if they can do the work on one of my off days.
It is worth taking a day off to watch them to be sure the job is done exactly as you wanted. We have guys who have been cutting trees for us for nearly 20 years. They have never let me down, but I wouldn't think of not observing what they are doing.

In response to your other question, don't pay a cent until after the job is done to your satisfaction.
Same here. I have very good tree service but one of us is always here when they are working.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

Topic Author
CobraKai

Post by CobraKai » Fri May 10, 2019 8:00 pm

not4me wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 4:12 pm
CobraKai wrote:
Is workman's comp not required if the business owner(s) work on the job themselves and this means there is no coverage if there is an injury?
Not sure who's "requirement" you are referring to.
The law. I guess it would vary by state.
not4me wrote:
I think the potential impact to you varies to a degree based on local law. Even in best case scenario, if something goes awry is the $400 worth the hassle?
It's a $700 difference (the two estimates are 1400+300 for stump grinding), this one is 1000 for everything. That said, it's probably not worth the hassle. Odds are that nothing goes wrong but there's always a risk.
not4me wrote:
You may ultimately not be liable, but that won't stop him from trying. That being said, it is likely an honest person trying to get started & needing the business.
He's been in business for a good 25 years or so. Works full time and does this on the side.

Topic Author
CobraKai

Post by CobraKai » Fri May 10, 2019 8:02 pm

Earl Lemongrab wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 5:29 pm
CobraKai wrote:
After asking him to send me an estimate, I noticed there is no workman's comp coverage on the certificate (although there is liability up to 300k). His estimate says that he has workman's comp though. I think he either works by himself or has a business partner that accompanies him so that may be why he has no workman's comp.
Shouldn't you just ask him about it?
Yeah, I just want to be prepared if/when I call and ask the right questions.

Topic Author
CobraKai

Post by CobraKai » Fri May 10, 2019 8:07 pm

retire2022 wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 5:31 pm
Op

I had 9 trees (rural area Oct 2016) which cost me $1600 cut in upstate NY, this was done when rare bats/birds were not around, my co-worker is an Environmentalist. You could get fined by local fish & wildlife officers as explained by my co-worker.
I noticed I have another tree that isn't blooming so that might be four. Strangely, three died in the past year or so!
retire2022 wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 5:31 pm
One of the trees was a cherry tree, which the transformer electrical wire was ingrown onto the side of the branches, a large section was probably taken by arborist, he was licensed and bonded for electrical work and was interested on working on my property. I was not there when he did this, I have no issue with possible missing lumber.

They did not cut the wood in usable pieces, as that was part of the price. I was ok with that, however if you ever seen tree cutting fails I suggest you google them on youtube, it is a dangerous profession and you could be killed and serious injured, and your property garage or house seriously crushed by the fallen tree.

here is one video as an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwPhoje32J0

I recently found a local wood turner and he is interested in working with me to take dead trees or lumber off my 89 acres property.

Make sure your contractor put your name as additionally insured, and tell him your check will go out in receipt of revised insurance certificate (accord form)
Not sure exactly what you mean. Have them put my name on the certificate copy that they send?

retire2022

Post by retire2022 » Fri May 10, 2019 8:50 pm

[/quote]
CobraKai wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 8:07 pm
Not sure exactly what you mean. Have them put my name on the certificate copy that they send?
https://www.idahoiceworld.com/media/107 ... sample.pdf

make sure your name and address of their liability form is filled out on the example box 5

Topic Author
CobraKai

Post by CobraKai » Fri May 10, 2019 9:10 pm

retire2022 wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 8:50 pm
CobraKai wrote:

make sure your name and address of their liability form is filled out on the example box 5

Thanks.. although that box is not on any of the certificates I have. On one of them, my name and address is listed under certificate holder, and just name on the other one.

retire2022

Post by retire2022 » Fri May 10, 2019 9:19 pm

CobraKai wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 9:10 pm
retire2022 wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 8:50 pm
CobraKai wrote:

Thanks.. although that box is not on any of the certificates I have. On one of them, my name and address is listed under certificate holder, and just name on the other one.
Did the contractor's insurance broker send that to you?

I've done this for work and personal as long as your name is in the "additional" insured you are golden.

Topic Author
CobraKai

Post by CobraKai » Fri May 10, 2019 9:32 pm

retire2022 wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 9:19 pm
Did the contractor's insurance broker send that to you?

I've done this for work and personal as long as your name is in the "additional" insured you are golden.
One of them did (the one with workman's comp). The other (without workman's comp) was forwarded by the contractor because the insurer's email bounced for some reason when they sent it to me.

retire2022

Post by retire2022 » Fri May 10, 2019 9:36 pm

CobraKai wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 9:32 pm

One of them did (the one with workman's comp). The other (without workman's comp) was forwarded by the contractor because the insurer's email bounced for some reason when they sent it to me.
I would alert the contractor and look them up on Spoeko or Better Business Bureau to see if there are complaints, or google them. Three contractors who were recommended to me upstate were in the local press upstate NY had arrest records.

Topic Author
CobraKai

Post by CobraKai » Fri May 10, 2019 9:45 pm

retire2022 wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 9:36 pm
CobraKai wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 9:32 pm

I would alert the contractor and look them up on Spoeko or Better Business Bureau to see if there are complaints, or google them. Three contractors who were recommended to me upstate were in the local press upstate NY had arrest records.
The first estimate in the original post had 30 something reviews on Google and all were positive except for a couple of people complaining they didn't return calls quickly enough. They didn't give me a written estimate, just verbal.

The others two gave me written estimates and had very few reviews but they were positive. Surprising there weren't more considering one company has been in business for 60 years and the other for 25 years.

retire2022

Post by retire2022 » Fri May 10, 2019 9:51 pm

CobraKai wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 9:45 pm

The first estimate in the original post had 30 something reviews on Google and all were positive except for a couple of people complaining they didn't return calls quickly enough. They didn't give me a written estimate, just verbal.

The others two gave me written estimates and had very few reviews but they were positive. Surprising there weren't more considering one company has been in business for 60 years and the other for 25 years.
I liked my first contractor who was seriously interested in closing the deal, there were two others, one could not wait for me, my fault I was late, followed up with a phone call he wanted to do it in the spring, which meant that he was too busy or not interested.

The third contractor never called back, so in rural area with high poverty and unemployment, one would think they are interested, not. I also met my neighbor's maintenance man, he met with me with two saws, and heats his home with wood, I told him he can take all the dead trees off my property, I'd offered to pay him. The maintenance man never did anything on my property.

go figure, it is nature of work in the area.

Topic Author
CobraKai

Post by CobraKai » Fri May 10, 2019 10:18 pm

retire2022 wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 9:51 pm
I liked my first contractor who was seriously interested in closing the deal, there were two others, one could not wait for me, my fault I was late, followed up with a phone call he wanted to do it in the spring, which meant that he was too busy or not interested.
The one guy (without workman's comp) left me a message but I haven't gotten back to him yet. Thought it might be rude to not return his call, but if I don't end up working with him (and I probably won't) then I don't want to call him just to turn him down.
retire2022 wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 9:51 pm
The third contractor never called back, so in rural area with high poverty and unemployment, one would think they are interested, not. I also met my neighbor's maintenance man, he met with me with two saws, and heats his home with wood, I told him he can take all the dead trees off my property, I'd offered to pay him. The maintenance man never did anything on my property.

go figure, it is nature of work in the area.
Dealing with contractors can be a pain. Sometimes it's best to just do it yourself, but of course that's not a good idea with trees.

retire2022

Post by retire2022 » Fri May 10, 2019 10:32 pm

CobraKai wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 10:18 pm

Dealing with contractors can be a pain. Sometimes it's best to just do it yourself, but of course that's not a good idea with trees.
Cobra

check these videos it is a good reason to hire, instead of you getting hurt:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jVDpxn1I1E

Topic Author
CobraKai

Post by CobraKai » Fri May 10, 2019 10:34 pm

retire2022 wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 10:32 pm
CobraKai wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 10:18 pm

Cobra

check these videos it is a good reason to hire, instead of you getting hurt:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jVDpxn1I1E
Thanks. I did see some similar videos and decided it wouldn't be a good idea to tackle this job.

fru-gal

Post by fru-gal » Sat May 11, 2019 7:06 am

CobraKai wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 11:12 am
DXG1987 wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 11:05 am
Yes, you should check to see if you city/town requires any permit to remove trees.

For example, my city requires residents obtain a permit to remove any tree over 24 inches in circumference. Once an application for a permit is filed, the town posts a notice on the property and sends an arborist to the property to determine if the "tree is a canopy tree." The notice has to be posted for at least a week.

If the tree is a "canopy tree" and is not "dying, dead, in danger of falling" the town requires "an impact fee of $750 per tree" before the tree can be removed.

This sort of regulation, if applicable in your town, could result in a significant fine if you don't comply in advance. I would call the city/town and find out what the rules are in your area.
That is outrageous! Fortunately there is nothing like that where I am.
I''m happy to report that where I used to live, the city also protected its trees. Trees have a major beneficial effect in terms of keeping the temperature down in hot days, reducing wind storms, helping humidity, adding privacy. If let unprotected, 50-100 year old trees would be cut down by developers and homeowners with no environmental sense. My current city has an aggressive tree planting program.

Topic Author
CobraKai

Post by CobraKai » Sat May 11, 2019 8:08 am

BTW what would cause trees in the same general area to die around the same time? I just discovered ANOTHER tree is dead as it is not blooming as it normally does by now. That is three in the past year (plus the apple tree that's been dead for a few years). Prior to this, never had a problem.

Only thing I can think of is that I was using that Roundup poison ivy killer as poison ivy has been a nuisance in recent years. I have read some not so great stuff about how unhealthy it is to humans. Is it possible that this stuff is powerful enough to kill trees?

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Sat May 11, 2019 9:05 am

I have many trees on my 1-acre lot. Some are old and some are ones I planted.

Old trees needed lots of trimming -- dead and dying limbs. New trees needed aesthetic trimming. It was a big multi-day project.

I used Davy Tree ("Professional Tree Care Since 1880").

They did a fine job. Three to five workers on site for three days. They had a HUGE wood chipper hooked to the back of a truck that captured the chips. It could chip some amazingly large branches/trunks.

They have several classes of trimming:
  1. class 1: Aesthetic, like my gardener (if I had one) did it.
  2. class 2: Not sure what this is, but it might be "make the trees healthy" by thinning or whatever.
  3. class 3: Make it safe so heavy limbs don't fall on you or your house.
They did from class 1 to class 3.

They were not cheap, but they were very good and I can recommend them, at least for big projects.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker, the Cowboy Poet

Topic Author
CobraKai

Post by CobraKai » Sat May 11, 2019 10:03 am

Are ash trees typically expensive to cut down? Come to find out, the fourth tree that died is an ash tree. When the one guy came out, he noticed it was dying. It hasn't bloomed yet and seems to be dead.

The guy that quoted 1400 for the three trees said the ONE ash tree would cost 1400. Does this sound right? The tree is about the same size as the pine and near the road (but so is the apple tree) and there are power lines across the street so maybe that has something to do with it.

retire2022

Post by retire2022 » Sat May 11, 2019 10:06 am

CobraKai wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 8:08 am
BTW what would cause trees in the same general area to die around the same time? I just discovered ANOTHER tree is dead as it is not blooming as it normally does by now. That is three in the past year (plus the apple tree that's been dead for a few years). Prior to this, never had a problem.

Only thing I can think of is that I was using that Roundup poison ivy killer as poison ivy has been a nuisance in recent years. I have read some not so great stuff about how unhealthy it is to humans. Is it possible that this stuff is powerful enough to kill trees?
I would not consider myself to be an expert but over watering and or rodents seems like the case in this youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1FLUdFFHds

Topic Author
CobraKai

Post by CobraKai » Sat May 11, 2019 10:13 am

retire2022 wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 10:06 am
CobraKai wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 8:08 am

I would not consider myself to be an expert but over watering and or rodents seems like the case in this youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1FLUdFFHds
Thanks for the link. There has been a lot of rain the last couple springs but I don't otherwise water. Not many rodents that I know of other than the occasional mole. I hear there is an Emerald Ash but that is killing a lot of ash trees in certain areas.

not4me

Post by not4me » Sat May 11, 2019 11:42 am

CobraKai wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 10:03 am
Are ash trees typically expensive to cut down? Come to find out, the fourth tree that died is an ash tree. When the one guy came out, he noticed it was dying. It hasn't bloomed yet and seems to be dead.

The guy that quoted 1400 for the three trees said the ONE ash tree would cost 1400. Does this sound right? The tree is about the same size as the pine and near the road (but so is the apple tree) and there are power lines across the street so maybe that has something to do with it.
In my neck of the woods, the price is a function of mainly 2 things: general supply/demand (storm time, spring yard fixup -- heavy demand, etc); difficulty (what equipment is needed, care in avoiding other things -- trees, power lines, fences, buildings....). Dead trees can splinter on the way down & it may just take extra time.

There are lots of reasons trees die. In some cases, it will be insects or disease -- these tend to be type of tree oriented (ie pine beetle, etc). Since you have multiple & different types, I'd suspect something environmental. Healthy trees need water, sun, etc & will compete for such. Over time, nearby trees can outgrow a tree & create shade & otherwise starve out a tree(s). Or nearby change could cause drainage changes.

Topic Author
CobraKai

Post by CobraKai » Sat May 11, 2019 11:46 am

not4me wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 11:42 am
In my neck of the woods, the price is a function of mainly 2 things: general supply/demand (storm time, spring yard fixup -- heavy demand, etc); difficulty (what equipment is needed, care in avoiding other things -- trees, power lines, fences, buildings....). Dead trees can splinter on the way down & it may just take extra time.
The price for the three trees is pretty reasonable, wasn't sure why the ash tree would cost just as much to remove as the other three combined. It's the same height as one of the pines that needs to be cut down.
not4me wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 11:42 am
There are lots of reasons trees die. In some cases, it will be insects or disease -- these tend to be type of tree oriented (ie pine beetle, etc). Since you have multiple & different types, I'd suspect something environmental. Healthy trees need water, sun, etc & will compete for such. Over time, nearby trees can outgrow a tree & create shade & otherwise starve out a tree(s). Or nearby change could cause drainage changes.
Interesting theory! That could very well be the case here. Some of the trees do seem to be blocking other trees' access to sunlight, which is hard to come by anyway for much of the year.

The tree guy said the ash tree was likely taken by emerald ash borer bug.

HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch » Sat May 11, 2019 1:50 pm

You can have an licensed arborist from a tree care company do a walk thru of your property with you to assess the health of your remaining trees usually at no cost. If they find any issues like borers, etc. they can treat the affected trees and shrubs on your property.

I use Davy (as mentioned by another poster) for annual care and complicated tree removal, and have been very happy with their service. As they are pricey, I have another smaller contractor that has a lower cost that I use for more routine tree pruning and removal, as needed.

Topic Author
CobraKai

Post by CobraKai » Sun May 12, 2019 10:42 am

HomeStretch wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 1:50 pm
You can have an licensed arborist from a tree care company do a walk thru of your property with you to assess the health of your remaining trees usually at no cost. If they find any issues like borers, etc. they can treat the affected trees and shrubs on your property.

I use Davy (as mentioned by another poster) for annual care and complicated tree removal, and have been very happy with their service. As they are pricey, I have another smaller contractor that has a lower cost that I use for more routine tree pruning and removal, as needed.
If they had liability but not workman's comp (even if claiming to be employee-owned), would you hire them?

retire2022

Post by retire2022 » Sun May 12, 2019 11:05 am

CobraKai wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 10:42 am
HomeStretch wrote:

If they had liability but not workman's comp (even if claiming to be employee-owned), would you hire them?
Cobrakai

My attorney and homeowner insurance agent for the 89 acre property I own suggested that I obtain 1 million liability umbrella, if you have any personal assets I suggest you seek professional advice for your particular situation.

Here is a fact which I had researched in this regarding indemnification:

https://extension.psu.edu/understanding ... -liability

more on this: http://www.urbanaglaw.org/liability-risk-insurance/

HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch » Sun May 12, 2019 4:29 pm

CobraKai wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 10:42 am
HomeStretch wrote:

I am not sure I would hire them to save a few $ but I tend to be very risk averse with contractors.

Topic Author
CobraKai

Post by CobraKai » Sun May 12, 2019 11:30 pm

retire2022 wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 11:05 am
My attorney and homeowner insurance agent for the 89 acre property I own suggested that I obtain 1 million liability umbrella, if you have any personal assets I suggest you seek professional advice for your particular situation.

Here is a fact which I had researched in this regarding indemnification:

https://extension.psu.edu/understanding ... -liability

more on this: http://www.urbanaglaw.org/liability-risk-insurance/
Thanks for the links
Seems that one needs a lawyer to do any business these days.

Topic Author
CobraKai

Post by CobraKai » Sun May 12, 2019 11:31 pm

HomeStretch wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 4:29 pm
I am not sure I would hire them to save a few $ but I tend to be very risk averse with contractors.
Understandable

dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon May 13, 2019 8:20 am

HomeStretch wrote:

Our jurisdiction (County in Virginia) has a tree specialist that can give advice on tree health. etc. issues. [No charge]

In my neighborhood, with houses close together, a very big risk in tree cutting/trimming/removal is damage to your house or your neighbor's house. When we needed to have a large, old tree removed a few years ago, we did not care whether the person or company knew anything about tree health.

We now need our Sugar Maple tree trimmed - but this time, since we want to keep the tree healthy, we will make sure to get someone who has tree health expertise.

Topic Author
CobraKai

Post by CobraKai » Tue May 14, 2019 11:10 am

I followed up on a contractor a couple days back, the one with the good insurance, stating that I was interested in moving forward but asked if we could add another tree to the estimate. So far they haven't called. Is it normal that a contractor won't call back if they're busy with other jobs? Debating whether to keep calling them or move on and get more estimates.

ohai

Post by ohai » Tue May 14, 2019 11:32 am

DXG1987 wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 11:05 am

If the tree is a "canopy tree" and is not "dying, dead, in danger of falling" the town requires "an impact fee of $750 per tree" before the tree can be removed.
So, in theory, you could poison or sabotage the tree so that it is "dying" or "dead", and avoid this $750 fee?

TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy » Tue May 14, 2019 11:37 am

CobraKai wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 10:26 am
I have a few trees that I need cut down. One is approx 25 ft, the other is 40, and other is around 50. I was quoted 1400 by one contractor for all three. That doesn't seem like a bad price. I did forget to ask whether stump removal was included.

He said they can start within the next day or two, claiming they will likely have a backlog of calls when the rain is finished in a couple days and seemed to insinuate that I should act now. Maybe he was trying to lock me in before I get other estimates? I have an estimate with a different company scheduled for Friday.
We went with stump grinding but didn't explicitly call out they will take the chopped wood pieces after grinding is done. They wanted extra for it, which we refused. Otherwise, the job was done well but something more to confirm.