Car insurance shopping - worth leaving USAA?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
atdharris

Car insurance shopping - worth leaving USAA?

Post by atdharris » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:05 am

I've been with USAA for a while now for both car and renters insurance. Over the last few years, I have seen my premium jump 20-30% with no negative marks on my record. I currently pay $188/month for my Mercedes C300 2015 with a $1000 deductible and 100/300/100 coverage or $1,131 every 6 months. I'm single and 31 years old. My last traffic ticket was in March of 2016 and my last accident was in May of 2013. I have a credit score of 803 and hold a graduate degree.

The other day, I decided to shop around and saw that Geico offered the same coverage for nearly half USAA. I love USAA as a company, and I know they provide great service. I also have a close friend who is a PI attorney, and he says they always fight the hardest for their clients, with state farm being the worst.

Is it worth keeping USAA for their quality? I've asked in the past about why my premium keeps going up, and they just say market forces/my location have caused the increase.

bluebolt

Re: Car insurance shopping - worth leaving USAA?

Post by bluebolt » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:07 am

No, not worth staying. I was a long time USAA customer and switched because their prices were not competitive. I received good service from other providers including Geico.

I ended up returning to USAA years later because their homeowners/auto/umbrella bundle pricing was competitive.

Chris K Jones

Post by Chris K Jones » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:10 am

No. I would go with the cheapest.

Topic Author
atdharris

Post by atdharris » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:11 am

bluebolt wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:07 am
No, not worth staying. I was a long time USAA customer and switched because their prices were not competitive. I received good service from other providers including Geico.

I ended up returning to USAA years later because their homeowners/auto/umbrella bundle pricing was competitive.
Right. My family uses them for umbrella, car and homeowners insurance. I left travelers in 2014 for USAA, and at the time, their prices were cheaper, but my premiums have gone from $150 in 2015 to $188.50/month today. 6 months previously, I paid $175/month.

An unrelated question - I know USAA is only available to military families. I was able to get in through my grandfather, who was a WWII veteran. If I leave them, am I able to come back later? I suppose I can keep my renters insurance and stay active that way.

inverter

Post by inverter » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:51 am

Have you priced out Amica? Don't have specific experience, but their reputation is generally that they are on par with USAA.

bluebolt

Post by bluebolt » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:00 am

atdharris wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:11 am
bluebolt wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:07 am

Right. My family uses them for umbrella, car and homeowners insurance. I left travelers in 2014 for USAA, and at the time, their prices were cheaper, but my premiums have gone from $150 in 2015 to $188.50/month today. 6 months previously, I paid $175/month.

An unrelated question - I know USAA is only available to military families. I was able to get in through my grandfather, who was a WWII veteran. If I leave them, am I able to come back later? I suppose I can keep my renters insurance and stay active that way.
I am a member through a family member's service and I was able to leave and go back without a problem.

Topic Author
atdharris

Post by atdharris » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:18 am

inverter wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:51 am
Have you priced out Amica? Don't have specific experience, but their reputation is generally that they are on par with USAA.
I have. They quoted me $145/month. Geico quoted me $103/month. I currently pay $188.50/month at USAA

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:27 am

Leave. We're now with Allstate, very happy to have left USAA.

SmallCityDave

Post by SmallCityDave » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:38 am

USAA fights hardest for USAA not for you.

JamesSFO

Post by JamesSFO » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:39 am

I've left the USAA Bank which used to be great, this is making me rethink my insurance. Though I will say they were outstanding to my parents after some mold/water damage in terms of covering the claim without a fight, etc.

Marlago35

Post by Marlago35 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:02 am

I left USAA in February 2019 (2 vehicles) for Geico and saved a lot. My premium went from $1,900 at USAA to $1,100 at Geico for same vehicles/drivers. Haven't had to use Geico yet - and I always received great service with USAA but couldn't justify the significantly higher cost.

Isabelle77

Post by Isabelle77 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:07 am

I've been with USAA my entire adult life so I don't really know what other companies are like.

BUT. About 10 days ago we discovered that our laundry room sink had likely been leaking for 6+ months and it's a disaster. I emailed the estimate and some photos to USAA via their online portal and they approved and transferred money into my account within 24hrs. I couldn't believe it. No one came to my house or asked any questions, just approved. It's been amazing.

Just sayin...

Post by Just sayin... » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:15 am

We were with USAA for > 30 yrs. but recently moved/downsized and saw our Umbrella insurance increase by 157% (yes, that number is right). When I called to ask about this huge increase (home and auto were higher, but not as much as the umbrella increase), I was informed that this was no mistake. So, I started researching:

https://clark.com/insurance/best-auto-i ... companies/

https://clark.com/insurance/best-and-wo ... -insurers/

...and we switched to Amica for all lines and wound up saving a lot. Are they as good as USAA? I’ll be able to answer that when/if I ever make a claim.

Topic Author
atdharris

Post by atdharris » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:17 am

Isabelle77 wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:07 am
I've been with USAA my entire adult life so I don't really know what other companies are like.

BUT. About 10 days ago we discovered that our laundry room sink had likely been leaking for 6+ months and it's a disaster. I emailed the estimate and some photos to USAA via their online portal and they approved and transferred money into my account within 24hrs. I couldn't believe it. No one came to my house or asked any questions, just approved. It's been amazing.
That's what has kept me there so far. I've never needed insurance my entire adult life. Regarding the only minor bump up I have had, I paid in cash rather than going through insurers. But, there are many stories of USAA paying out almost immediately if there was a claim. I am just torn as to whether that comfort and reputation is worth an extra ~$1000 a year.

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:24 am

Chris K Jones wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:10 am
No. I would go with the cheapest.
My thinking exactly when it comes to auto and home insurance. Especially true if you've been with the same company for many years. They will continue to raise your rates due to your complacency (i.e., you continue to pay the increased rates every year regardless of the cost). Shop around and switch to the company with the lowest rates for the highest deductible coverage you're comfortable with. Do this at least every 3-4 years to ensure you don't pay more than absolutely minimum for insurance—something that is rarely needed yet quite costly.

megabad

Post by megabad » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:00 pm

I am in the shop your policies every couple of years camp (so I would likely leave).
atdharris wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:05 am
I also have a close friend who is a PI attorney, and he says they always fight the hardest for their clients, with state farm being the worst.
Well to be fair, some would argue that they (USAA and other insurers) are fighting primarily for themselves and not the clients during a PI lawsuit. Nonetheless, if the legal team is better, it is certainly not a bad thing.

Isabelle77 wrote:
About 10 days ago we discovered that our laundry room sink had likely been leaking for 6+ months and it's a disaster. I emailed the estimate and some photos to USAA via their online portal and they approved and transferred money into my account within 24hrs. I couldn't believe it. No one came to my house or asked any questions, just approved. It's been amazing.
I agree this is amazing. Above and beyond. Literally. USAA's own website essentially says they don't cover this.
https://www.usaa.com/inet/wc/advice-hom ... irect=true. I suppose they have latitude though and weigh the costs vs the increased premiums after the claim. I would say that most big name insurers probably don't have that latitude.

pochax

Post by pochax » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:06 pm

are you sure the coverage you get with Geico is really the same as you are getting with USAA? perhaps there are things you can delete from your USAA policy that will decrease the premium? when i switched from Amica to USAA 2 years ago, they were offering better coverage for the same premium as Amica as well as better Home Insurance coverage so having the mutli-line discount also helped.

MoDosh

Post by MoDosh » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:13 pm

Just be aware of bait and switch. Just because you’re getting a low rate now doesn’t mean they won’t jack it up in 6 months time. Geico did this to me, in fairness all rates in my state went up but I bailed on them and went back to State Farm.

Big Dog

Post by Big Dog » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:15 pm

I have. They quoted me $145/month. Geico quoted me $103/month. I currently pay $188.50/month at USAA.
Don't forget that Amica also has some sort of savings account feature such that you receive a credit against next year's premium.

Love USAA, but what they are charging you seems kinda pricey. I pay a similar rate for 3 cars: 2-2018's and 1-2016, but I'm also a former uniformed servcies officer, so in the preferred rate class. Since you were not a direct admit -- came in thru your grandfather, may I assume that you are not eligible for USAA's subscriber savings account?

Isabelle77

Post by Isabelle77 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:30 pm

megabad wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:00 pm
I am in the shop your policies every couple of years camp (so I would likely leave).
atdharris wrote:
I also have a close friend who is a PI attorney, and he says they always fight the hardest for their clients, with state farm being the worst.
Well to be fair, some would argue that they (USAA and other insurers) are fighting primarily for themselves and not the clients during a PI lawsuit. Nonetheless, if the legal team is better, it is certainly not a bad thing.

Isabelle77 wrote:
About 10 days ago we discovered that our laundry room sink had likely been leaking for 6+ months and it's a disaster. I emailed the estimate and some photos to USAA via their online portal and they approved and transferred money into my account within 24hrs. I couldn't believe it. No one came to my house or asked any questions, just approved. It's been amazing.
I agree this is amazing. Above and beyond. Literally. USAA's own website essentially says they don't cover this.
https://www.usaa.com/inet/wc/advice-hom ... irect=true. I suppose they have latitude though and weigh the costs vs the increased premiums after the claim. I would say that most big name insurers probably don't have that latitude.
I wasn't actually sure they would cover it at all, which is why I went ahead and got the estimate before contacting them. But they did, no problem at all.

Topic Author
atdharris

Post by atdharris » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:06 pm

Big Dog wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:15 pm
I have. They quoted me $145/month. Geico quoted me $103/month. I currently pay $188.50/month at USAA.
Don't forget that Amica also has some sort of savings account feature such that you receive a credit against next year's premium.

Love USAA, but what they are charging you seems kinda pricey. I pay a similar rate for 3 cars: 2-2018's and 1-2016, but I'm also a former uniformed servcies officer, so in the preferred rate class. Since you were not a direct admit -- came in thru your grandfather, may I assume that you are not eligible for USAA's subscriber savings account?
I am not sure re:subscriber savings. How do I see if I am? I have never received any type of dividend or payout from USAA over the time I have been a member.

LifeOfRiley

Post by LifeOfRiley » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:24 pm

Similar situation. I had USAA auto insurance for almost 30 years. The last several years they increased the premium quite a bit every 6 months. Got a quote for a similar policy from Geico for half the price. I've had Geico for 2 years now and they've kept the premium close to what it was originally.

tea_pirate

Post by tea_pirate » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:44 pm

atdharris wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:06 pm
Big Dog wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:15 pm

I am not sure re:subscriber savings. How do I see if I am? I have never received any type of dividend or payout from USAA over the time I have been a member.
Here you go: https://themilitarywallet.com/usaa-subs ... ce-policy/

I've been a member for ~10 years and I just got an email a couple months ago telling me I was eligible for the dividend or whatever it is for 2019. I logged into the USAA website and selected to apply it to my auto policy. From the way it was worded it sounded like if you don't make a selection you forfeit the dividend? Oh well.

Big Dog

Post by Big Dog » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:49 pm

From the way it was worded it sounded like if you don't make a selection you forfeit the dividend? Oh well.
Negative. much better to go to a primary source.

https://content.usaa.com/mcontent/stati ... 67819982_p

gtd98765

Post by gtd98765 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:26 pm

atdharris wrote:

Is it worth keeping USAA for their quality? I've asked in the past about why my premium keeps going up, and they just say market forces/my location have caused the increase.
I do not think so.

I have also had very positive experiences with USAA customer service in the past, but I have noticed prices have gone way up and customer service has gone down, although I have had no claims.

A family member's house was damaged by the Los Angeles wildfires last fall and the USAA adjuster was horrible. He tried to use Ikea prices to value replacement cost for fine furniture, ghosted them for weeks at a time, etc. I think USAA is trying to rest on its past laurels and provide no better service today than any other insurance company.

MillennialFinance19

Post by MillennialFinance19 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:34 pm

Yeah this is what USAA does. My premiums increased $40 a month over a 2 year period with no accidents or tickets. Quoted several companies and now save $40 a month over the previous rate ($80 per month total) and have only seen an increase of $11 over 4 years with State Farm. I’m fairly pleased.

cornbread85

Post by cornbread85 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:35 pm

Yes, definitely switch. My wife and I have had GEICO for years and love it. She’s had an accident and I have had a speeding ticket within the last 5 years and our rate is $468 for 6 months. We also have home and umbrella through them.

Also, if you switch to GEICO, buy 1 share of BRK.B in your brokerage account and let them know. This saves me $40 a half on my rate because Berkshire Hathaway owns GEICO.

hale2

Post by hale2 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:39 pm

I asked Geico for a quote a couple of years ago and it was within a few dollars of what USAA was charging me. If you guys are getting such great quotes now I need to revisit Geico.

SueG5123

Post by SueG5123 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:24 pm

I switched from UsAA to GEICO in December 2018. USAA’s prices for 2012 & 2013 vehicles driven 5k or fewer miles yearly by two retired officers were outrageous. Saved $300 with GEICO. I’ve already priced out the next insurance period, and USAA is still over $300 more, for no apparent reason.

I’ve been a member of USAA since 1982. The whole ball of wax: mutual funds, banking, homeowners & umbrella & life insurances, realtor deals, home security, etc., etc. Got rid of those mutual funds about five years ago; everything else is attrition going away, too.

Insurance wise, never had a homeowners claim in 25 years. When I did have one from a hailstorm, I got nothing but heartburn from USAA.

Re: this vaunted customer service everyone gushes about: yesterday I called them with a question about my flood insurance. Even though I called from number in my profile, the rep insisted I verify my identity by providing the names and DOBs of my children. I have no kids. The rep was was completely flummoxed when I reminded them of this (they can SEE this on the same computer screen I look at, right?). So... thinking USAA isn’t much on customer service beyond reading from a script.

fourwaystreet

Post by fourwaystreet » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:29 pm

Geico treated me well and has great customer service but I found a much better price at Liberty Mutual who has provided only minor price adjustments. When I retired Liberty cut my rate by $116 and it was not based on yearly mileage.
When someone you love becomes a memory, the memory becomes a treasure.

Topic Author
atdharris

Post by atdharris » Wed May 01, 2019 10:25 am

Good to hear that Geico provides decent service. At this point, I am having a hard time justifying paying $1000 a year more for USAA. From the quote I received, I do have the same coverage and elections that I have on USAA currently. The quote still came out to $598 for 6 months compared to $1131 for USAA

wabbajack

Post by wabbajack » Wed May 01, 2019 1:01 pm

atdharris wrote:
I currently pay $188/month for my Mercedes C300 2015 with a $1000 deductible and 100/300/100 coverage or $1,131 every 6 months. I'm single and 31 years old. My last traffic ticket was in March of 2016 and my last accident was in May of 2013. I have a credit score of 803 and hold a graduate degree.

The other day, I decided to shop around and saw that Geico offered the same coverage for nearly half USAA.
What is USAA doing for you that is worth $1,000/year?

If Geico is offering $600 every 6 months, Root might offer $400. I used to be on Progressive, then switched to Geico when they were cheaper (had a collision claim - not at fault), switched to Progressive when they were cheaper still, and finally switched to Root when they advertised a significantly cheaper rate.

Similar demographics as OP: Single, millennial, 2015 Genesis. But with more than one traffic ticket in the last 12 months.

Topic Author
atdharris

Post by atdharris » Wed May 01, 2019 2:29 pm

wabbajack wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 1:01 pm
atdharris wrote:
I currently pay $188/month for my Mercedes C300 2015 with a $1000 deductible and 100/300/100 coverage or $1,131 every 6 months. I'm single and 31 years old. My last traffic ticket was in March of 2016 and my last accident was in May of 2013. I have a credit score of 803 and hold a graduate degree.

The other day, I decided to shop around and saw that Geico offered the same coverage for nearly half USAA.
What is USAA doing for you that is worth $1,000/year?

If Geico is offering $600 every 6 months, Root might offer $400. I used to be on Progressive, then switched to Geico when they were cheaper (had a collision claim - not at fault), switched to Progressive when they were cheaper still, and finally switched to Root when they advertised a significantly cheaper rate.

Similar demographics as OP: Single, millennial, 2015 Genesis. But with more than one traffic ticket in the last 12 months.
Since I have never filed a claim in my life, they do nothing but take my money every month. But I suppose that is the point of insurance - you don't think you need it until you actually do.

That said, if Geico is a decent auto insurer, USAA is likely not worth the extra $1000 a year. I'm tired of my premiums going up by 10-20% every year when I have no additional traffic tickets or accidents and my previous ones should be off my driving record.

rholt

Post by rholt » Wed May 01, 2019 2:46 pm

I want to add that USAA has the worst (annoying - non-intuitive) web sites I have ever experienced from a major financial company. I have considered leaving for that reason alone.

But, we stay because we have so much with them (home, auto, umbrella, VPP) - it just seems like it would be a huge hassle to switch everything. I should consider it though - I currently have 2 teen drivers - big money on auto insurance.

wabbajack

Post by wabbajack » Thu May 02, 2019 12:36 pm

atdharris wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 2:29 pm
Since I have never filed a claim in my life, they do nothing but take my money every month. But I suppose that is the point of insurance - you don't think you need it until you actually do.

That said, if Geico is a decent auto insurer, USAA is likely not worth the extra $1000 a year. I'm tired of my premiums going up by 10-20% every year when I have no additional traffic tickets or accidents and my previous ones should be off my driving record.
I have not heard a compelling argument against treating insurance as a commodity (I am somewhat of an insider). The only times when I wouldn't consider them a commodity is when one policy offers coverage I want that nobody else has. E.g. When I bought my new Audi with $0 down, I went with Progressive because only they offered gap insurance - and it was reasonably cheap.

I don't care about customer service - the less I talk to them, the better. You'll hear stories about how one company doesn't pay claims or other, but the reality is every company has a "loss control" policy - i.e. pay as little out as possible. At the end of the day, every company still has to play by the same insurance regulations.

gronkman

Post by gronkman » Thu May 02, 2019 12:44 pm

One additional thing to consider: if you have a nice car and care about replacement part quality, choose someone who will pay for OEM parts. I had GEICO for a long time, and I had a couple issues; they wouldn’t pay for an OEM replacement windshield for a big crack (paid out of pocket), and for an at-fault minor accident they wouldn’t pay for OEM parts.

Of course if you don’t care, your car is old, or you lease your car, then it doesn’t matter.

pjhalifax

Post by pjhalifax » Thu May 02, 2019 7:08 pm

I left 8 years ago and have no regrets. Auto & homeowners rates got ridiculous with USAA - easily twice as much as competitors - and now I only have a free checking account there with a small sum to keep my membership active. I rate shop now and then and nothing has changed. They clearly don't want to write a policy for me because the rates are ludicrous.