weber grills

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Jmkimmd

weber grills

Post by Jmkimmd » Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:14 pm

I'm thinking of buying a weber propane grill to be able to cook for a family of 5 and occasional guests. There are way too many options so I wanted your input on how you guys went about purchases a specific model. I looked at the sprit line vs. the genesis line and even within those lines of grills there's a ton of different model numbers. Also where would be the best to buy them. I see a bunch at home depot or lowes

mrc

Re: weber grills

Post by mrc » Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:28 pm

This article might help. Much depends on what you want to use it for.
Macs are for those who don’t want to know why their computer works | Linux is for those who do | DOS is for those who want to know why their computer doesn’t work | Windows is for those who don’t

athan

Post by athan » Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:41 pm

Jmkimmd wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:14 pm
I'm thinking of buying a weber propane grill to be able to cook for a family of 5 and occasional guests. There are way too many options so I wanted your input on how you guys went about purchases a specific model. I looked at the sprit line vs. the genesis line and even within those lines of grills there's a ton of different model numbers. Also where would be the best to buy them. I see a bunch at home depot or lowes
I saved some money and bought a 5 burner Char-Broil grill. I figure it may not last as long, but two Char-Broil grills are still cheaper than one Weber.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:41 pm

athan wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:41 pm
Jmkimmd wrote:
I saved some money and bought a 5 burner Char-Broil grill. I figure it may not last as long, but two Char-Broil grills are still cheaper than one Weber.
Also Char-Broil is easier to pronounce.

Noble Knight

Post by Noble Knight » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:09 pm

I have a 5 year old Weber Genesis, I rarely maintain it, haven’t had to replace anything and it looks great.

I would get a Genesis II 315. 3 burners, no side burner, grill cabinet. Avoid stainless steel grates, they don’t retain heat well enough for grill marks.

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:13 pm

I bought a Weber Spirit E310. Enough capacity for my needs; I also didn’t really want a side burner because I didn’t think I would use it. The Genesis line is also good. I’ve replaced my flavorizer bars and the burner once, it’s 10+ years and going strong still.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:15 pm

athan wrote:
Jmkimmd wrote:
I kind of think along those lines. I bought the Sam's Club branded grill for $250 on clearance. If I get 3-5 years out of it, I am perfectly happy. People say their Webers last 20 years....but then mention they had to replace all these parts that aren't cheap. The elements are also harsh here, so even if better made, that has an impact.

Edit: I also have a ceramic egg grill and the grilling season here is around 5 months so I factor that in.
Last edited by michaeljc70 on Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ThriftyPhD

Post by ThriftyPhD » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:17 pm

Jmkimmd wrote:
I would first think about what type of food you want to cook. Do you think you will do indirect cooking? For example, bone-in skin-on chicken legs. There you would want the heating source to be indirect; the burners under the chicken should be off, and the burners to the side of the chicken on. Cooking this way means you need ~ twice the grill space. If you're just going to be cooking burgers and dogs using direct cooking, this is less of an issue. Figure out what you're cooking, how much you need to cook at once, and that tells you how much cooking space you need.

Next, are there features you would find useful? Some come with a side burner. This is useful if you want to simmer a sauce or heat something in a pan/pot right at the grill. Some come with a rotisserie. If you plan on cooking a lot of whole chickens, roasts, or other big chunks of meat this could be useful. Do you want a smoke box? Keep in mind this will not make your grill a full smoker, but the smoke box might help you add a touch of smoke flavor. Lights? Hooks? Storage space?

Final choice is looks. Enamel, or stainless steel?

So, if you want to cook lots of large indirect cuts of meat (chicken, fish, turkey), or cook large trays of vegetables, you'll want as many burners as possible. Would a 3 burner be big enough, or would you want the 4 burner genesis? Or maybe even the 6 burner Summit line.

emoore

Post by emoore » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:22 pm

Kenkat wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:13 pm
I bought a Weber Spirit E310. Enough capacity for my needs; I also didn’t really want a side burner because I didn’t think I would use it. The Genesis line is also good. I’ve replaced my flavorizer bars and the burner once, it’s 10+ years and going strong still.
I have the same grill. Love it. Had it for 5 years now and it cooks much better than the cheap ones. Not only will it last much longer but food comes out much better on the Weber than on those cheap grills. Go for a weber and you will be happy.

tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:31 pm

tibbitts wrote:
athan wrote:
Jmkimmd wrote:
I've had the CharBroil 3 burner for a couple of years and like it.
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:42 pm

ThriftyPhd is spot on. The biggest thing is how much space you will need. If you cook with indirect heat and, unless, you are just doing burgers and dogs, you should be, you probably need at least the space he Genesis line provides.

I will have had mine for 8 years and haven’t had to replace a thing. We use it relentlessly and I have accidentally abused it a few times. It’s the best cooking gas grill I’ve ever had and there are few that will last as long or give as consistent a cook.

Grills, tires, and protective sports equipment are about all I don’t skimp on anymore. It’s worth it.

Good luck,

JT

WiscoTrout

Post by WiscoTrout » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:18 pm

We're going on 20 years with our Weber Genesis Silver. Yes, I've had to replace the grates and the flavorizer bars a couple of times, but it's nowhere near the cost of a new grill, especially since it's several years between replacements of the innards. I joke that whenever I see a rusted out grill on the parkway for the trash, it's almost never a Weber.

And get the three burner option if possible. It really helps with indirect cooking of different types of foods.

abner kravitz

Post by abner kravitz » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:25 pm

I bought a Spirit II 310 last year. Not high end for a Weber, but seems to be pretty well put together and works great so far. I am hoping it lasts longer than the last CharBroil I had, which turned to rust within 2 years.

I really like the design where the propane tank hangs on the side and not inside a cabinet.

Longdog

Post by Longdog » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:27 pm

I have a 14 year old 3 burner Weber Genesis that I love. I've replaced the thermometer on the front panel (less than $10) a wheel (less than $20) and the flavorer bars a few times (about $40 every ~4 years or so). It still works great and offers great control over the flame intensity. I believe there is a difference between a Weber and a much less expensive one. Probably the other premium brands are good too, but I have no experience with them. It might be 2-3 times as much to buy, but will last 4x or longer with occasional (but not crazy expensive) parts. The major components still work fine. I'm a big fan of the product. It's one of the few items that I believe is worth the premium price because of its durability.
Steve

fishnskiguy

Post by fishnskiguy » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:38 pm

I bought our three burner Webber Genesis Silver in 1999. I grill at least twice a week year round even when we lived in Colorado at 6600' elevation. Coldest I ever used it was -14 F. :shock:

I have replaced the flavorizer bars once and the grill grates three times. The last time I replaced the grates I put Grill Grates (brand name) on one half and Webber stainless grates on the other half. The Grill Grates get super hot for searing, but totally prevent flare ups (important when cooking chicken with the skin on).

In the last five or six years I have gotten a lot more into low and slow grilling using a smoke pouch for pork ribs and pork shoulder and beef brisket. I'm really glad I got the three burner model as the two burner won't cook low enough for low and slow.

We never eat outdoors, so I would not buy one with the sauce cooking station. If you plan on outdoor eating then consider it.

Webber service is outstanding.

Chris
Trident D-5 SLBM- "When you care enough to send the very best."

Steven in NC

Post by Steven in NC » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:06 pm

Weber Spirit for me. After many Char-broil throw aways I wised up and bought this Weber. Made in China but this Weber is still going strong. Had to call Weber service once and explained how it would only work on low flame. Weber guy said it was a faulty hose/valve assembly. Had a free one shipped out that day.

Nearly A Moose

Post by Nearly A Moose » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:36 pm

I have a 5 yr old Genesis, going strong. It's a workhouse. Very solid, and I am terrible about putting in the effort to maintain things. Two things I would have done differently:
1. If there were a four burner option (don’t remember if there was/is), I’d have gone for it over the 3 burner. If you cook a full meal on there - bunch of burger, potatoes, and a veggie basket, there’s not really enough room on the 3 burner. But I always cook for a couple leftover meals.
2. I wish I had gotten the side burner. See above re space. Plus, I’m the primary cook in the house, so it would be nice to not have to keep running in and out of the house to tend a sauté or sauce. That time should be spent drinking a grilling beer...
Pardon typos, I'm probably using my fat thumbs on a tiny phone.

Winston19

Post by Winston19 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:50 pm

My 15 year old Weber (I think it is a Genesis model) is still going strong. As a bonus it was also easy to assemble.

breakfixit

Post by breakfixit » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:03 pm

my weber genesis silver is 16 years old. I've replaced almost all of the insides at least once, but it sits on a patio, and it gets used probably 3x week all year. I don't clean it often and I have no regrets. My mother in law has same make and model, but hers is a few years older and sits outdoors in snow for 3 or 4 months each year. We fire it up during summertime visits. As my tastes have grown, I appreciate the flavors wood and charcoal add to grilled meats. I also own a smokey mountain bullet smoker but its for multi-hour smokes of briskets and pork butts. I've been wanting to get the weber summit charcoal grill because it will grill or smoke, but it's very expensive. weber service is great, even for warranty coverage.

btenny

Post by btenny » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:40 pm

I highly recommend the Weber Genesis II with four burners and a side burner and cast iron grates. Mine is in chocolate color. Mine is big enough for cooking for 8 plus heating a side dish. It gets to 400 degrees in 4-5 minutes and will hold that with only two burners on medium. It will heat to 700 degrees for pizza or cleaning. I also use the extra side burner for fish to keep the smell out of the house. Mine has the high temperature extra fourth burner that is great. That is why it heats so fast and gets so hot. Cooking is very uniform all over the grill area. Mine also had a gas bottle scale built it. So I know when I need a new bottle before the old one runs out.

Mine is seven years old and needs nothing. I use it 2x per week. I keep it covered most days.

I paid $800 or so back when and it is worth every penny.

Good luck

poker27

Post by poker27 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:43 pm

I’m all about spending $ and nice things. But my sub $300 charbroil grill is going strong for nearly 7 years. Outside in Chicago, not covered, and replace the propane tank at least twice a year, so I think I grill a decent bit.

camillus

Post by camillus » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:46 pm

I don't know the model number, but I have a three (and a half) burner Weber Spirit, with a side burner. I have:

fried wings in oil on the side burner outside to keep the smell out of the house
boiled brats on the side burner then transferred to grill
slow cooked ribs over 1.5 hours, tasty
loaded up with burgers, dogs, and brats - was able to time things so that most everything came off at once
lots of veggies too!

four7s

Post by four7s » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:20 pm

We bought the 3 burner Weber SPIRIT and couldn’t be happier. An outstanding quality product.

Erwin007

Post by Erwin007 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:27 pm

Bought a 3 burner Genesis almost 5 years ago. I grill at least twice a week, and haven’t replaced anything. In the 8 years prior to that I went through two cheaper, non-Weber grills that rusted through and for which I couldn’t get replacement parts.

I bought mine at the end of summer, and it was a display model on sale for $300 off the regular price, plus it came fully assembled. Since it had never even been turned on in the store, it was like brand new.

6miths

Post by 6miths » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:41 pm

Have had a 3 burner Genesis for 5 years as well. Don't do much in way of maintenance. Very happy with it. Easy to say that it is the best grill I have owned.
'It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!' Mark Twain

BBQ Nut

Post by BBQ Nut » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:32 am

Try lurking/searching on the weber forum.
https://tvwbb.com/forum.php

Current generation of weber propane grills seem to be trending down.

Yooper16

Post by Yooper16 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:38 am

In my final few years of work life-- I worked at the local hardware which walking distance from my house--great way to transition to retirement.
We sold Webers and they had for 20 years or more.

One of the biggest reasons people gave for buying a new Weber was that after 15-20 years, they just felt it was time to get a new one.

They justified the purchase, despite the old one still being perfectly good, by saying they were passing it down to one of their kids or that the old one was going to the cabin.

Get a Weber.

miamivice

Post by miamivice » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:42 am

tibbitts wrote:
athan wrote:
Jmkimmd wrote:
How is Weber pronounced? I always thought it was like the college Weber State (wee bur) not like the sociologist Max Weber (Vaa bur). Maybe I am wrong?

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:53 am

miamivice wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:42 am
tibbitts wrote:
athan wrote:
Jmkimmd wrote:
How is Weber pronounced? I always thought it was like the college Weber State (wee bur) not like the sociologist Max Weber (Vaa bur). Maybe I am wrong?
I assumed that too but Google seems to say we have chosen the least correct pronunciation. I don't own a grill.

Boglegrappler

Post by Boglegrappler » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:41 am

I second the comments about size being important. I have a four burner Weber and if we have guests there is not a lot of excess cooking area.

zlandar

Post by zlandar » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:45 am

The best features of a Weber grill is the ease of cleaning after you grill and the wide availability of replacement parts.

I have an 8 year-old 3 burner Genesis. I have had to replace the flavorizer bars and the burner tubes. The tubes Weber replaced for free. I replaced the porcelain enameled grates with stainless steal grates for ease of cleaning. I've had to dump other grills when something broke and it was impossible to find the replacement part.

A 3 burner Genesis should be fine for a family of 5. You can compare the difference in size between the 3 and 4 burner models in-store.

mtwhmemn

Post by mtwhmemn » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:08 am

If you buy a Weber make sure it has all the features you want because you are going to be "stuck" with it for over a decade. They are excellent quality and can be repaired when needed.

Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:27 am

athan wrote:
Jmkimmd wrote:
You will end up buying a more than 2 Char-Broil grills to last as long as a Weber.

I just acquired a 20 yr old Weber Summit and it is still in fantastic condition.

TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:42 am

fishnskiguy wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:38 pm
I bought our three burner Webber Genesis Silver in 1999. I grill at least twice a week year round even when we lived in Colorado at 6600' elevation. Coldest I ever used it was -14 F. :shock:

I have replaced the flavorizer bars once and the grill grates three times. The last time I replaced the grates I put Grill Grates (brand name) on one half and Webber stainless grates on the other half. The Grill Grates get super hot for searing, but totally prevent flare ups (important when cooking chicken with the skin on).

In the last five or six years I have gotten a lot more into low and slow grilling using a smoke pouch for pork ribs and pork shoulder and beef brisket. I'm really glad I got the three burner model as the two burner won't cook low enough for low and slow.

We never eat outdoors, so I would not buy one with the sauce cooking station. If you plan on outdoor eating then consider it.

Webber service is outstanding.

Chris
I have a Webber as well, but the charcoal one. I assumed that gas operated ones are lifetime warranty, and anything other than flavorizer bars is covered? My charcoal one had a little rusting on legs, and body where handles are provided. I called their CS, gave them pictures of rust and the lady sent me essentially all parts that make the grill! I was very surprised, and have decided that my next grill will be Webber. I just don't know when my current one will ever get so worn out though :happy

vested1

Post by vested1 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:27 pm

We just bought our granddaughter and her husband this grill with the matching cover from Lowe's as a house warming present. It burns gas, charcoal, and has a smoker and a gas side burner. It weighs about 206 lbs and is a beast. Our new great-granddaughter appreciated it too (I think).

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Oklahoma-Joe-s ... l/50329705

I've always used Weber grills but this will be our next one. Best barbecue I've ever tasted. Pork ribs smoked for 4.5 hours then finished off for 1/2 hour on the charcoal grill with low heat, along with chicken breasts grilled during the last 1/2 hour on the gas grill simultaneously.