Metal roof- anyone switch from asphalt to metal?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
crockpotinvesting

Metal roof- anyone switch from asphalt to metal?

Post by crockpotinvesting »

When I get my next roof ( probably 1-3 years) I was thinking of getting a metal roof. I’ve always liked the look on certain homes especially with the things that break up snow and ice on them. I’ve read most positive things except for noise during rain storms.

Curious to hear if any boggleheads switched?
Smoke

Re: Metal roof- anyone switch from asphalt to metal?

Post by Smoke »

2 yrs ago I was seriously thinking about metal roof, then my insurance agent talked me out of it due to the higher premiums for ins.
Apparently firefighters have a much harder time putting out a fire with a metal roof.
So I roofed with asphalt shingle again.
Arguing for the sake of arguing is something I am not going to engage in.
graeme

Post by graeme »

Smoke wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:19 pm 2 yrs ago I was seriously thinking about metal roof, then my insurance agent talked me out of it due to the higher premiums for ins.
Apparently firefighters have a much harder time putting out a fire with a metal roof.
That's interesting as I've heard the opposite. Supposedly, metal roofs are less likely to be the source of fires compared to asphalt and because of that lead to cheaper insurance. An example showed a house in an area with forest fires with metal roof and siding that survived when nearby homes didn't. I called USAA and asked if our rates would change if we switched from asphalt to metal roofing, and they said in our state it wouldn't change anything.

My mom's home in the midwest has a metal roof. When there was hail damage to many homes in her area, her roof was fine and some roofing companies said metal roofs survive hail better.
Topic Author
crockpotinvesting

Smoke wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:19 pm 2 yrs ago I was seriously thinking about metal roof, then my insurance agent talked me out of it due to the higher premiums for ins.
Did you get quotes on the difference in price?
Smoke

Post by Smoke »

graeme wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:46 pm
That's interesting as I've heard the opposite. Supposedly, metal roofs are less likely to be the source of fires compared to asphalt and because of that lead to cheaper insurance. An example showed a house in an area with forest fires with metal roof and siding that survived when nearby homes didn't. I called USAA and asked if our rates would change if we switched from asphalt to metal roofing, and they said in our state it wouldn't change anything.

My mom's home in the midwest has a metal roof. When there was hail damage to many homes in her area, her roof was fine and some roofing companies said metal roofs survive hail better.
Apparently the issue was not fire from outside the home getting in, but rather fire starting in the home would be more difficult to extinguish.
Harder for the firemen to chop thru to gain access to the inside of the attic.
Smoke

Post by Smoke »

crockpotinvesting wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:11 pm
Did you get quotes on the difference in price?
Aprox 30k for a standing seam metal roof, vs $15k for asphalt with a 50 yr warranty.
And that was for stripping off the two previous layers and replacing about 26 sheets of plywood, demo-ing the chimney as well.
clown

Post by clown »

We have a cabin about 40 years old. Replaced the original asphalt shingle roof with a metal roof about 10 years ago. The local fire regulations (California foothills) require metal roofs nowadays. We have been very pleased. In addition to being fire resistant, it is much quieter inside. If you want to hear the rain come down, you have to open the window. If you want a shake-shingle look, we got that. From 10 feet away, I cannot tell the difference visually.
BIGal

Post by BIGal »

We switched out our black (hot attic in summer) asphalt shingles after a hail storm claim helped fund. We went with steel shingles not the long sheets. Since we have a 7/12 pitch I also added a gutter helmet type of covering on our gutters as my days on the roof have come to a close since the steel is not designed to walk on at that pitch. Looking at the quote from 2011 for our 1800 sq ft was 28k roof and 3.5k leafproof. 8 years ago, and would I do it again? Absolutely I would. Have about 24 inches of cellulose as insulation in attic so rain sound isn't a problem. Look as good as they did the day they were installed. The only thing you need to know if you live in a snowy climate, as we do in the upper midwest, the snow slides off like an avalanche. No change on our insurance except they advised they wouldn't replace from hail if just cosmetic only if they leak...Never a problem yet.
Topic Author
crockpotinvesting

BIGal wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:10 pm We switched out our black (hot attic in summer) asphalt shingles after a hail storm claim helped fund. We went with steel shingles not the long sheets. Since we have a 7/12 pitch I also added a gutter helmet type of covering on our gutters as my days on the roof have come to a close since the steel is not designed to walk on at that pitch. Looking at the quote from 2011 for our 1800 sq ft was 28k roof and 3.5k leafproof. 8 years ago, and would I do it again? Absolutely I would. Have about 24 inches of cellulose as insulation in attic so rain sound isn't a problem. Look as good as they did the day they were installed. The only thing you need to know if you live in a snowy climate, as we do in the upper midwest, the snow slides off like an avalanche. No change on our insurance except they advised they wouldn't replace from hail if just cosmetic only if they leak...Never a problem yet.

That’s 1,800 sq ft of roofing? I’m guessing that’s a pretty large house unless it’s a ranch?
Winston19

Post by Winston19 »

We put in a metal roof last year (Edco metal shingles) not standing seam. It was about double the price of asphalt. We are very happy with it. Our homeowners insurance went down substantially with the new roof.
spooky105

Post by spooky105 »

Just put a metal galvalume roof on our house -- NW FL mid century, 1900 sq ft with 1.5:12 pitch. We were limited to rolled asphalt or metal based on shallow pitch & building code. Metal was 2x the price of rolled asphalt, but with a lifespan of 3-5x vs the ~10 years rolled asphalt is good for in these parts. Went with screw-through metal (common in this area) for lower cost vs standing seam. Limited vis from the road also limited the aesthetic value of standing seam.

Install was original roof covered over with closed cell radiant barrier, 1x4" battens, then metal panels. Sound is quieter when it rains. Galvalume Energy Star rating will get us a little rebate from the electric utility. Energy efficiency of the roof should buy us some savings on the electric bill, but we'll see how that shapes up in the high heat of summer.

Everything I came across while researching pointed to metal -- longer lifespan vs asphalt, greater energy efficient, greener product (metal is recyclable while shingles go to landfill), etc. Only real holdup is if you can't afford the higher upfront cost.
YttriumNitrate

Post by YttriumNitrate »

For my house in the Midwest, my insurance premiums went down 8% by putting in a metal roof. While it may be more difficult to put out a fire with a metal roof, if the fire was to the point where it had burned through the roof (or firefighters were punching through the roof to spray water/ventilate), it seems likely that the house would be a total loss regardless of the type of roof.

In terms of sound during a rainstorm, the metal roof was only slightly louder than the previous asphalt one. As long as the metal has good contact with the underlayment sound doesn't seem to be a problem.
6miths

Post by 6miths »

Just had three torn off shingles repaired after a big windstorm. Resulted in a small leak into the attic and discolored an upstairs bedroom roof. Steel roof on our cottage and I absolutely love it. I would go steel on primary residence but plan to down size within 5 years so not worth it. Have a very large south facing roof so contemplated solar as well but again not worth it now. But steel is great in my mind.
'It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!' Mark Twain