Help/Suggestions Buying Car next Week

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
kilkoyne

Help/Suggestions Buying Car next Week

Post by kilkoyne » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:17 am

I'm helping daughter with buying a car. We're currently looking at a 2019 Honda CRV EX. MSRP is around 28K-29K. Edmunds Invoice Quote is $26,824

I sent out True Car request just to see how dealers would responde and have gotten offers in the 25.5K - 26.5K range which included Freight and Doc fees (tax not included).

Her credit union is offering 2.99%. Honda supposedly has incentive rates at 1.9% for 36 months or 2.9% for 60 months (have only read this online).

I haven't spoken with any car dealers yet. I don't want to work with more than 3 or 4 dealers. My daughter works hourly and spending more than a few days on this would negate saving a few hundred dollars.

Any thoughts on real OTD prices if dealers are already offering 25.5-26.5K range?

Edmunds Invoice Quote is $26,824

Edmunds True Market Value® Pricing Edmund TMV $26,165

True Car Email Response Cheapest TruePrice $25,482

Any thoughts on how I should proceed? I feel as though we have the upper hand because her credit is excellent and she could buy the car outright with her savings. She needs to have this done next week (not telling any dealers this). I'm trying to determine what a realistic offer or fair dealer might be before we go look. Thanks

Jack FFR1846

Re: Help/Suggestions Buying Car next Week

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:31 am

Take the tru car price, subtract a grand and ask several non-tru-car dealers to match that price for car including doc fee. If everyone agrees, try again at $1500 off. When I bought my Wrangler (actually ordered exactly what I wanted) a few years ago, I ended up buying it for $1600 lower than tru car's lowest price. YMMV. Market conditions always dominate.

.....and.....you did see the thread on CRV 1.5 turbo oil dilution issues?
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

delamer

Post by delamer » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:39 am

Are there any other vehicles she is considering?

When we told our Honda salesman that we were going to look at the Mazda 3 across the street, that got us our target Civic price.

bsteiner

Post by bsteiner » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:43 am

If she's a member of Pentagon Federal, she could use their service (which is TrueCar with their name on it), and get financing for 3 years at 1.49%.

Topic Author
kilkoyne

Post by kilkoyne » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:19 am

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:31 am
Take the tru car price, subtract a grand and ask several non-tru-car dealers to match that price for car including doc fee. If everyone agrees, try again at $1500 off. When I bought my Wrangler (actually ordered exactly what I wanted) a few years ago, I ended up buying it for $1600 lower than tru car's lowest price. YMMV. Market conditions always dominate.

.....and.....you did see the thread on CRV 1.5 turbo oil dilution issues?
This is great information for a starting point in negotiating prices. The oil dilution issue is a whole other can of worms. I don't want to go down that road for a 25K vehicle (I was hesitant when I saw it was turbo anyway). A CRV with turbo is now off the list. She wanted the EX model because of the safety features (BS monitoring/adaptive cruise/back up camera). If we can find a 2016 CRV (or non-turbo 2019) with safety features I think she'll consider that option.
delamer wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:39 am
Are there any other vehicles she is considering?

When we told our Honda salesman that we were going to look at the Mazda 3 across the street, that got us our target Civic price.
She waited until the last minute and still doesn't know what she wants. I am now going to talk her out of the CRV with the turbo. She really wants the safety features of adaptive cruise/back up camera/BS monitoring. The traffic in ATL is crazy and I'll agree with her that her safety is worth spending a little more if needed.
bsteiner wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:43 am
If she's a member of Pentagon Federal, she could use their service (which is TrueCar with their name on it), and get financing for 3 years at 1.49%.
I should've considered this beforehand. I don't think I can make this happen with the limited time we have.
Last edited by kilkoyne on Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

researcher

Post by researcher » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:21 am

kilkoyne wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:17 am
I'm helping daughter with buying a car. We're currently looking at a 2019 Honda CRV EX.
I strongly suggest you purchase something other than the Honda CRV.
Just google "Honda CRV oil dilution."

There are well-documented issues with the 1.5 liter turbo motor.
Here are some links that just scratch the surface...
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=244271
https://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/13 ... etc-gen-5/
https://www.consumerreports.org/car-rep ... out-plans/

Bottom like, why take a chance on the CRV, when there are so many good alternatives to choose from?
I was in the market last year and bought a Mazda CX-5, which I would recommend.
The Hyundai Tuscon/Kia Sportage would be my next choice.

Topic Author
kilkoyne

Post by kilkoyne » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:30 am

researcher wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:21 am
kilkoyne wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:17 am
I'm helping daughter with buying a car. We're currently looking at a 2019 Honda CRV EX.
I strongly suggest you purchase something other than the Honda CRV.
Just google "Honda CRV oil dilution."

There are well-documented issues with the 1.5 liter turbo motor.
Here are some links that just scratch the surface...
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=244271
https://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/13 ... etc-gen-5/
https://www.consumerreports.org/car-rep ... out-plans/

Bottom like, why take a chance on the CRV, when there are so many good alternatives to choose from?
I was in the market last year and bought a Mazda CX-5, which I would recommend.
The Hyundai Tuscon/Kia Sportage would be my next choice.
AGREED......CRV is off the table now........CX-5 did get great reviews

Her main considerations are vehicles with safety features (BS monitoring/adaptive cruise/back up camera). Also, a vehicle with room cargo space.
Last edited by kilkoyne on Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Winston19

Post by Winston19 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:31 am

Subaru Forester is in another option but it is the first year of a new model for the Forester.

researcher

Post by researcher » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:50 am

kilkoyne wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:30 am
Her main considerations are vehicles with safety features (BS monitoring/adaptive cruise/back up camera). Also, a vehicle with room cargo space.
Virtually all new cars can now be had with these safety features.

If she is in need of cargo space, I would consider the aforementioned compact SUVs (Mazda/Hyundia/Kia), or more preferably a compact hatchback. The new Mazda 3 hatchback is REALLY good. I would also look at the Hyundai Elantra GT and new Toyota Corolla hatchback.

I would eliminate Subaru from consideration. The models you are in the market for are mediocre and she has no need for AWD.

Topic Author
kilkoyne

Post by kilkoyne » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:22 pm

She asked about Hyundai Kona. It's was rated high in the sub compact SUV rankings.

I suggested a new car because almost all now have the safety features. The Kona engine is reportedly under powered but I'd say she probably doesn't care about that. They've only been out for two years so it's hard to tell but people on forums seem happy with them.

I don't know if I should send out a True Car email just to get a better idea for a starting point in negotiations.

Watty

Post by Watty » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:30 pm

Here is a post that I did last year about my online car buying experience that I did last year that might be helpful.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=239526&p=3746230

Toyota has added a lot of the advanced safety features to all of their cars so you do not need to buy a high end trim level to get many of the safety features.

I would try to not be in a hurry to buy the car so you can do more research. Even if she had to rent a car for a week she can likely find a rental car at a non-airport location for a reasonable price.

ono8ono

Post by ono8ono » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:37 pm

+1; Stay away from Honda CRV with the turbo engine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIRBsn3xfoc

Hyundai car in the long run is not as reliable as Toyota. If you plan to keep the car pass 100,000 miles, get a Toyota RAV4. Good engine and transmission (NOT a CVT transmission). Toyota engine using port and direct fuel injection that eliminate carbon built up on intake valves. Huge advantage!!! They are the only one using this technology.

Don't ever get a Nissan! Almost all their vehicles have CVT tranmission; not reliable!!

I am driving a 2014 Mazda cx5 now which is very fun to drive but I will get a RAV4 now for the port and direct fuel injection plus reliable transmission.
Mazda auto transmission is not as reliable as Toyota!! Just my 2 cents :happy
Last edited by ono8ono on Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nowizard

Post by Nowizard » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:42 pm

Watch the doc fee. We live in a tri-state area. One state has fixed fee of $128, other two have free rein. Our area, a large city, has $599 doc fee for almost all dealers. We purchased in the third state with a doc fee of $84. Prices for the vehicle were approximately the same with the dealer from whom we purchased having the best price by $400 plus the lowest doc fee. The vehicle price was listed as below the bottom of Edmund's range for that model, and the trade-in was $100 below the lowest Edmund reports on our trade-in. All done over the internet, so you can get a good offer that way without a hassle. Basically, we thought the first offer was acceptable, and it appears yours is a good first offer as well. We countered with $1,200 less which was accepted. Trade-in also over internet without vehicle being seen was honored. Best buying experience we have ever had.

Tim

Topic Author
kilkoyne

Post by kilkoyne » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:43 pm

Watty wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:30 pm
Here is a post that I did last year about my online car buying experience that I did last year that might be helpful.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=239526&p=3746230

Toyota has added a lot of the advanced safety features to all of their cars so you do not need to buy a high end trim level to get many of the safety features.

I would try to not be in a hurry to buy the car so you can do more research. Even if she had to rent a car for a week she can likely find a rental car at a non-airport location for a reasonable price.
I've been reminding her of this date for 4 months now. She's a procrastinator and there's nothing I can do to change that.

She's also a millennial and it seems most her age aren't interested in shopping for the best price or really reviewing what's out there. She would rather pay more to have the ease of clicking a button on the internet and having the car delivered to her.

I'm trying to help her but in the end it's her decision if she wants to pay more than she could/should.
Last edited by kilkoyne on Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.

researcher

Post by researcher » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:45 pm

kilkoyne wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:22 pm
She asked about Hyundai Kona. It's was rated high in the sub compact SUV rankings.
The Kona is a solid car.

I would also look at its twin, the Kia Niro. The exterior of the Niro looks a lot better to me, without so much of the Kona's chunky black plastic cladding.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:48 pm

kilkoyne wrote:
The Kona is an exceptionally good value. Trims from the mid-level Limited (MSRP $25.5k) on up come with an uprated engine that should be plenty powerful. Most of the safety features are included at the lower SEL ($21.8k) level, but Pedestrian Detection and Park Distance Warning require the Ultimate ($27.5k). Adaptive cruise does not appear to be available though, except on the Kona Electric. Hyundai/Kia's infotainment is one of the best in the business, and their warranty IS the best in the business, for the original purchaser at least. Definitely worth a look.

Topic Author
kilkoyne

Post by kilkoyne » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:59 pm

She's not helping me at all. She's asking me what to buy and I've been asking her for 4 months now.

Are there any red flags for the following?

Subaru Crosstrek
Kia Niro
Toyota C-HR

Topic Author
kilkoyne

Post by kilkoyne » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:01 pm

lazydavid wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:48 pm
kilkoyne wrote:
The Kona is an exceptionally good value..........Adaptive cruise does not appear to be available though....
Thanks

delamer

Post by delamer » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:09 pm

kilkoyne wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:59 pm
She's not helping me at all. She's asking me what to buy and I've been asking her for 4 months now.

Subaru Crosstrek
Kia Niro
Toyota C-HR
Have you checked put Consumer Reports online? A subscription is pretty cheap.

core4portfolio

Post by core4portfolio » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:15 pm

RAV4 is great as it have safety features on all trims

Dont buy CRV- EX and above trims - oil dilution
Allocation : 80/20 (80% TSM, 20% TBM) | Need to learn fishing sooner

Topic Author
kilkoyne

Post by kilkoyne » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:21 pm

delamer wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:09 pm
kilkoyne wrote:

Subaru Crosstrek
Kia Niro
Toyota C-HR
Have you checked put Consumer Reports online? A subscription is pretty cheap.
I'm getting more frustrated as I look. She had all these months to give me time to review and she waits until she needs the car one week in advance. :oops:

Topic Author
kilkoyne

Post by kilkoyne » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:22 pm

core4portfolio wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:15 pm
RAV4 is great as it have safety features on all trims

Dont buy CRV- EX and above trims - oil dilution
It looks like even the basic model Rav4s come with Toyota Safety Sense.

I will look at RAV4. Thanks
Last edited by kilkoyne on Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ono8ono

Post by ono8ono » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:29 pm

Subaru Crosstrek : boxer engine tends to leak oil.

Kia Niro : Just like Kona; long warranty but you have to follow their service schedule. Not as reliable after 100,000 miles mark as Toyota engine. Dual clutch transmission NOT Reliable!!

Toyota C-HR: CVT transmission; Not enough power.

Remember: Turbo engine not going to last as long as natural aspirated engine

So RAV4 is the best SUV to buy now: natural aspirated, port and direct fuel injection engine, regular auto transmission and all the standard safety features that come standard with the car!! Excellent crash rating by iihs!
Last edited by ono8ono on Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SuperSaver1975

Post by SuperSaver1975 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:36 pm

These negotiating tactics worked well for me when we bought my wife's 2014.5 Camry Hybrid.

We researched the price ranges out there, then we negotiated over email with this approach, once we had decided on a model. We picked the very lowest reported price and said something like "We will buy a car today, if you will sell it to us for X" and they responded favorably. We got a very very low price. After that, we sprung it on them that we would pay cash and not do financing.

At that time, when I researched financing the car, I read consistently that car dealers hate it when people pay cash, so that right there told me cash was the way to go. We didn't have a huge emergency fund, so it was a bit of a gamble. But no regrets. At this point I will only ever pay cash. I bought a Tesla Model 3 a few months ago paying all cash and love driving that thing. My wife can charge it for free at her work, and there is almost no maintenance.

Watty

Post by Watty » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:42 pm

kilkoyne wrote:
Maybe it is time to let it go and let her figure it out.

AnonJohn

Post by AnonJohn » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:49 pm

Kia Niro sits atop my list, likely to buy. Have driven and talked to owners in my neighborhood. Like it. Great crash ratings and mileage.

Topic Author
kilkoyne

Post by kilkoyne » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:52 pm

ono8ono wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:29 pm
Subaru Crosstrek : boxer engine tends to leak oil.

Kia Niro : Just like Kona; long warranty but you have to follow their service schedule. Not as reliable after 100,000 miles mark as Toyota engine. Dual clutch transmission NOT Reliable!!

Toyota C-HR: CVT transmission; Not enough power.

Remember: Turbo engine not going to last as long as natural aspirated engine

So RAV4 is the best SUV to buy now: natural aspirated, port and direct fuel injection engine, regular auto transmission and all the standard safety features that come standard with the car!! Excellent crash rating by iihs!
Rav4 also comes with Toyota Safety Sense without needing to upgrade to a higher trim. :thumbsup

Rush2112

Post by Rush2112 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:09 pm

I just helped a coworker look for a vehicle yesterday with the following driver-assist features:

Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC)
Lane Keep Assist System (LKAS)
Blind Spot Monitoring (BSM)

She asked because I spent 25 years in automotive R&D for an OEM. I use Consumer Reports (as did the OEM I worked for) to gauge which cars are "better" values. Reasons for using Consumer Reports:
1. Unbiased due to no advertising
2. Thorough testing by very qualified staff (I know some of the CR testers from prior work experience - visited their test facility in CT)
3. Millions of people providing feedback on vehicle reliability & owner satisfaction

That said, here is what I recommended to my coworker for the Compact CUV category based on overall value including the features mentioned above (note: styling NOT considered):

#1 - Subaru Forester...#1 in Consumer Reports, great road score, Standard AWD. MSRP w/ safety features: $28,965.
#2 - Mazda CX-5...2WD version would be less expensive than the Forester & has better "Noise" characteristics. MSRP w/ safety features: $26,615.
(I would also say the Honda CR-V is tied for #2, but it seems we need to clarify if they fixed the oil dilution issue.)

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:45 pm

ono8ono wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:37 pm
Hyundai car in the long run is not as reliable as Toyota.
That's the perception, but I'm not so sure it can be verified with actual data (recently). Even if it can, that is a strong generalization. New cars are incredibly reliable; statistically, the new cars that don't get you to 100k miles with little issue are the outliers. And, Hyundai has a great warranty; far superior to Honda and Toyota.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:51 pm

I think any of the cars mentioned (except CRV) would be fine.

If she has good credit and cash money, why not pay cash for a new/slightly used car that is in a range she is comfortable to pay cash for?

Never too early to get out of the "every car has a car loan" marketing shtick we are sold.

First a car loan, then a mortgage, then a HELOC to pay for upgrades, then a furniture loan. Soon her check is all accounted for before she gets it. :wink:

Does she need AWD or not? Does it snow? Is it a 1-2 inch and melt snow? Or real snow that stays?

I would think you could get a great deal on a Ford Fusion or Ford Edge (FWD or AWD) right now. Good luck!
"People want confirmation, not advice" Unknown | "We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you" Unknown | Four words: Whole food, plant based

wilked

Post by wilked » Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:01 pm

bloom2708 wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:51 pm

If she has good credit and cash money, why not pay cash for a new/slightly used car that is in a range she is comfortable to pay cash for?

Never too early to get out of the "every car has a car loan" marketing shtick we are sold.

First a car loan, then a mortgage, then a HELOC to pay for upgrades, then a furniture loan. Soon her check is all accounted for before she gets it. :wink:

Does she need AWD or not? Does it snow? Is it a 1-2 inch and melt snow? Or real snow that stays?

I would think you could get a great deal on a Ford Fusion or Ford Edge (FWD or AWD) right now. Good luck!
posting is 9 months old...she has a new car already and could potentially have a baby inside of it! ;-)

Topic Author
kilkoyne

Post by kilkoyne » Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:08 pm

Watty wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:42 pm
kilkoyne wrote:
Maybe it is time to let it go and let her figure it out.
She'll just buy one off of Carvana. Seems a lot of people these days don't mind spending a few thousand dollars more than they need to. :confused

ono8ono

Post by ono8ono » Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:18 pm

Be careful with odometer rollback!!

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2019/04/2 ... ters/
Last edited by ono8ono on Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic Author
kilkoyne

Post by kilkoyne » Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:19 pm

bloom2708 wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:51 pm

She could (and in IMO "should") pay for it outright. The bells and whistles seem less important when the money comes out of savings.

She lives in Atlanta and the driving conditions IMO warrant having the safety features and the new cars that have this are much easier to find.

Her boyfriend suggested a Honda Fit and the EX models come with Honda Sensing. I'd rather her spend 6k less with having better fuel economy.

She'll need to figure out what she wants this weekend or she'll be using Uber.
Last edited by kilkoyne on Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

surfstar

Post by surfstar » Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:22 pm

Does she actually drive enough miles/year that MPG matters?
If so, and in ATL traffic, I'd definitely recommend a hybrid and look into the Niro or Hyundai Ioniq, even. Hybrids really excel in MPG in cities and/or traffic.

ono8ono

Post by ono8ono » Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:25 pm

surfstar wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:22 pm
If so, and in ATL traffic, I'd definitely recommend a hybrid and look into the Niro. Hybrids really excel in MPG in cities and/or traffic.
FYI: Hybrids resale value sucks especially when the battery is getting weak!

ono8ono

Post by ono8ono » Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:26 pm

Buy from Carvana? Watch this video first!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVcRxg7teOM

02nz

Post by 02nz » Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:28 pm

researcher wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:45 pm
kilkoyne wrote:
The Kona is a solid car.

I would also look at its twin, the Kia Niro. The exterior of the Niro looks a lot better to me, without so much of the Kona's chunky black plastic cladding.
The Niro and the Kona are not related. The Niro shares a platform with the Hyundai Ioniq, which is another option if she's looking for a hybrid, but it's a small car, not a pseudo-crossover like the Niro.
Last edited by 02nz on Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dharma student

Post by dharma student » Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:29 pm

Toyota Prius....get a year or 2 old one...had mine for 12 years now....no real issues....

surfstar

Post by surfstar » Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:30 pm

ono8ono wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:25 pm
surfstar wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:22 pm
If so, and in ATL traffic, I'd definitely recommend a hybrid and look into the Niro. Hybrids really excel in MPG in cities and/or traffic.
FYI: Hybrids resale value sucks especially when the battery is getting weak!
Prius' do fairly well, long-term. Plus you get all the savings from MPG - again, only if the driver puts enough miles per year to justify a hybrid.

Your other comments up thread seem a bit dated, regarding vehicles, reliability, etc. I'm lumping this one in there too.

California88

Post by California88 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:35 pm

Yes the odometer rollback is another BIG issue to watch for ... I was told by a Toyota salesman that up to the 2015 models it was very easy for dealers to mess with the odometer ... and that they did mess with them ... since then it's been much more difficult.