Dash cam without wires

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
crypto11

Dash cam without wires

Post by crypto11 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:37 pm

I want to use a dash camera in my car but i dont want to deal with wiring all the way to the 12V outlet.
I could not find a battery only camera that does not require to be plugged in. I wouldn't mind recharging the battery every couple of days.
Does anyone own a camera like that?
My intention of using a dash camera is to provide proof I am not at fault in case of an accident.

Also, my car has a built in camera system (for safety features, recognizes signs, collision assistance, etc). I wonder if in case of an accident I can retrieve the image of this camera to prove I am at no fault....

runner3081

Re: Dash cam without wires

Post by runner3081 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:53 pm

Cheap smartphone with a dash-cam app.

fortfun

Post by fortfun » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:55 pm

You could probably pick up a cheap used GoPro.

NewbieBogle007

Post by NewbieBogle007 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:56 pm

Do you know and practice defensive driving? Accidents are very rarely 100% the fault of one party.

G3VALD1G

Post by G3VALD1G » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:07 pm

It could nicely be wired and hidden to the fuse box. You could check the process on YouTube or check for local installers. I paid someone to install mine, and he did a very nice job.

Dashcams are important. I installed it after I got a cellphone ticket, I did not use it touch a phone. Unfortunately I was convicted. Right after that incident I installed a dashcam, and I avoid driving without one.

Since then I was able to fight a false red light ticket in court, collected on a hot and run I had. And helped others in accidents to prove their innocence when they were falsely blamed. I believe it's a necessity. Although if you kill someone mistakenly while texting it may come back to bite you. So don't text and drive with a dashcam..... Or without...

abonder

Post by abonder » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:09 pm

You can get a “hardwire “ kit for the dash cam. You would use it to run power directly from the fuse box to the cam. You can hide the wires running from the fuse box to the camera in the trim along the pillar by the door and then under the edge of the roof. I did this myself recently and it takes about a half hour after you’ve watched some instructional videos. Very easy project even for a dodo like me. It looks remarkably clean and then you save your 12 volt outlet for other tasks. The kit I used was around 15 dollars. Hope that helps.

FireSekr

Post by FireSekr » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:13 pm

NewbieBogle007 wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:56 pm
Do you know and practice defensive driving? Accidents are very rarely 100% the fault of one party.
Right. I’ve had 2 in the last 4 years which were 100% the fault of the other driver. One was a moron trying to pass over a double yellow line and then hitting me trying to get back to the right side of the road (not even sure why he was trying to pass me was going with the flow of traffic). The second I was rear ended while stopped in traffic. In the first one, the guy drove away and I didn’t have the dash cam so had no way to identify him and I had to pay for the damages out of pocket. The second time I had the dash cam and it eliminated any doubt whether I cut the guy off or brake suddenly. It also shows the other party’s speed was excessive given the conditions, and has encouraged their lawyers to negotiate a very very large settlement.

In LA people drive like there are no rules, and a lot of hit and runs happens because the illegals don’t want to stick around and wait for the police. A dashcam is cheap protection.

I’d say it was worth the $200 investment

random_walker_77

Post by random_walker_77 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:23 pm

Wiring is actually surprisingly easy. You just tuck it under the trim, like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHGzEgxIwqo&t=73s
It can be done without any tools, but a nylon pry bar makes it much easier (< $8): https://www.amazon.com/Konpard-Removal- ... 07MQ5RZMX/

If your 12v outlet turns off when the key turns off, then you just need to route the wire over to the 12v outlet. Get one of these ~$9 outlet expanders w/ USB outlets, and you don't even lose your outlet:
https://smile.amazon.com/BESTEK-2-Socke ... B071HSZ14M

I liked my aukey dr02 dashcam so much, that I just bought a dual dashcam. After getting rear-ended, I want a camera on the back too. The only reason I didn't buy a dual dashcam before was fear about installing it, but now I know that hiding the wiring under the trim is really easy. On youtube, there're probably even videos demonstrating it on your specific car model.

Wakefield1

Post by Wakefield1 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:56 pm

I believe that we will see more dash cams on the road as time goes by,perhaps as the motoring public gets the knowledge that everyone is likely to be on camera people will think twice about doing some of the shenanigans that are so common such as turning right from the left lane,using the shoulder to pass a big truck (and then cut it off) and "brake checking".
I wouldn't be surprised if some of the car insurance companies begin to incentivise their clients to install dash cams. Of course that cuts both ways and I am sure the insurance companies would require access to the videos if a premium reduction were given to the owner of the insured car.
perhaps they will come out with a rechargeable lithium battery with a month's capacity for the dashcams.

aqan

Post by aqan » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:20 pm

random_walker_77 wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:23 pm
Wiring is actually surprisingly easy. You just tuck it under the trim, like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHGzEgxIwqo&t=73s
It can be done without any tools, but a nylon pry bar makes it much easier (< $8): https://www.amazon.com/Konpard-Removal- ... 07MQ5RZMX/

If your 12v outlet turns off when the key turns off, then you just need to route the wire over to the 12v outlet. Get one of these ~$9 outlet expanders w/ USB outlets, and you don't even lose your outlet:
https://smile.amazon.com/BESTEK-2-Socke ... B071HSZ14M

I liked my aukey dr02 dashcam so much, that I just bought a dual dashcam. After getting rear-ended, I want a camera on the back too. The only reason I didn't buy a dual dashcam before was fear about installing it, but now I know that hiding the wiring under the trim is really easy. On youtube, there're probably even videos demonstrating it on your specific car model.
this is exactly how I've setup mine... the wires are barely visible and definitely don't get in the way. took me 10 minutes max.