Digital Nomad - Automobile Insurance Issues

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
LuigiLikesPizza

Digital Nomad - Automobile Insurance Issues

Post by LuigiLikesPizza » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:27 pm

My twin sister has become a digital nomad and gave up her permanent home, so therefore, her street address. She travels by automobile to various work sites, staying in hotels for a few weeks at a time.

Her auto insurance is coming up for renewal. Somehow I assume they won't accept her current address which is a virtual mailbox that she accesses online.

I expect to be leaving the country soon for an extended stay, so it's not feasible to use my address.

Any suggestions? Thank you.

megabad

Re: Digital Nomad - Automobile Insurance Issues

Post by megabad » Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:05 pm

UPS or work address.

Topic Author
LuigiLikesPizza

Post by LuigiLikesPizza » Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:30 pm

My understanding is that UPS storefronts are not considered permanent addresses.

miamivice

Post by miamivice » Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:33 pm

How about she call her insurance company first and see if there is an actual issue? Otherwise everyone is just speculating at random solutions to something that may not be an issue.

KT785

Post by KT785 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:42 pm

She could do what many full-time RVers do and establish state residency and a physical address through Escapees or a similar organization.

KT785

Post by 123 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:57 pm

Even if the OP is going to be out of the area his address could still be her address. Her mail could be allowed to accumulate there while she maintains a careful schedule of contacts and billings and checks her accounts for billings online. While using the OP address she could also file a temporary change of address with the post office that forwards her mail to whatever service she chooses. She would have to be aware that there would be a need to periodically file a new temporary change of address with the PO and that there is some chance of mail being lost or misdirected with this alternative.

One type of "Digital nomad" is a travel nurse as well as some other types of health professionals. For those individuals it may important to maintain an address that is consistent with their state licensing record.

I would assume the sister would want consistency between her driver's license/vehicle registration/car insurance registrations.
Last edited by 123 on Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

GreenGrowTheDollars

Post by GreenGrowTheDollars » Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:59 pm

KT785 wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:42 pm
She could do what many full-time RVers do and establish state residency and a physical address through Escapees or a similar organization.

KT785
Exactly. Our car was backed into (by a guy taking his wife to the hospital after a bike accident) and he gave us his info & explained that they were RV sunbirds who went from place to place throughout the year, but their registered domicile was in one of the Dakotas. The insurance process worked just fine.

halfnine

Post by halfnine » Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:06 pm

She will likely eventually have more issues than just car insurance. Although written toward the RV crowd she should have a look here for some guidance.

AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat » Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:32 pm

For vehicle registration, insurance, tax reduction, and numerous other reasons, us nomadic folk often choose one of a few particular states to establish residency in. Florida, Texas, and South Dakota are the most popular for expats, blue water live aboard sailors, full time RV'ers, etc.

I chose South Dakota many years ago. My vehicle is registered in SD. My auto insurance is in SD. I have a SD driver license, with a commercial mail receiving agent address on my license (SD allows this after execution of an affidavit stating you're nomadic). My business is based in SD. I pay SD unemployment tax and use tax (but no personal or corporate income tax, booyah!). It's the address on my federal tax returns, my federal professional license, associated with both my TWIC and Global Entry cards from Homeland Security, and, as of last week, even my WA real estate broker license.

Establishing legal South Dakota residency requires that you spend ONE night in a hotel or RV park within the state, and take the receipt to the DMV.

Details about residency affidavit, getting a DL, registering vehicle, and the commercial mail service I use, start here:

http://www.americas-mailbox.com/home/ti ... rs-license

I have no affiliation with that company other than being a customer for 7 years.
“Life doesn’t come with a warranty.” -Michael LeBoeuf

megabad

Post by megabad » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:52 pm

LuigiLikesPizza wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:30 pm
My understanding is that UPS storefronts are not considered permanent addresses.
Does this one need to be? You will already have to have that anyway. You can't bank in the US without a residential address. I am just assuming you could just use the same address you have always used for "permanent address" and just receive mail using a mail service or other easily accessible address. Another strategy--there was a truck driver where I grew up that lost his home [mobile] to the bank. He literally had a plot of dirt with a mailbox on it and would come back every month or so to pick up his mail. Where I grew up, a small plot of unbuildable road frontage runs about $2000 and costs maybe $100/yr in taxes.

Millennial

Post by Millennial » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:47 pm

I had a coworker do this, and he registered his car to one of our offices. Seemed to work fine, we scanned in some of his bills periodically.

Topic Author
LuigiLikesPizza

Post by LuigiLikesPizza » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:11 pm

She did call her insurer. They asked where the car was garaged. She ended the call and called me... Another issue came up as we began to look into it. Apparently, these companies that are offering physical address and mailbox services to establish domicile, are being flagged by banks and insurers as not permanent addresses. At some point, I may have to advise her to buy a small lot or something lol (half joking)>

sperry8

Post by sperry8 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:35 am

LuigiLikesPizza wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:27 pm
My twin sister has become a digital nomad and gave up her permanent home, so therefore, her street address. She travels by automobile to various work sites, staying in hotels for a few weeks at a time.

Her auto insurance is coming up for renewal. Somehow I assume they won't accept her current address which is a virtual mailbox that she accesses online.

I expect to be leaving the country soon for an extended stay, so it's not feasible to use my address.

Any suggestions? Thank you.
My former insurer (USAA) accepted my storage facility address as my "permanent" address while I was traveling the world and while I was in the US (when not traveling) but living out of hotels. I wouldn't assume her insurer would be any different.
BH contest results: 2019: #233 of 645 | 18: #150 of 493 | 17: #516 of 647 | 16: #121 of 610 | 15: #18 of 552 | 14: #225 of 503 | 13: #383 of 433 | 12: #366 of 410 | 11: #113 of 369 | 10: #53 of 282

halfnine

Post by halfnine » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:47 pm

LuigiLikesPizza wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:11 pm
She did call her insurer. They asked where the car was garaged. She ended the call and called me... Another issue came up as we began to look into it. Apparently, these companies that are offering physical address and mailbox services to establish domicile, are being flagged by banks and insurers as not permanent addresses. At some point, I may have to advise her to buy a small lot or something lol (half joking)>
I don't bring up my non physical address with companies that I am using. If I believe it may have become an issue I call a company I am not using and ask for a quote for their services first so I have options. Furthermore, where your sister can double up on accounts (credit cards, bank accounts, brokerages, etc.) I suggest she does it. That way if one account gets terminated she will at least have another.

Jyb33

Post by Jyb33 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:35 pm

When I first started reading this thread a few days ago, I noticed that noone mentioned the ins. companies favorite term and question: "garaging address".....(then eventually Luigi mentioned it...whew!!..finally). (But I did find it amusing that his sister "ended the conversation......at that point..."...I can just picture it......bye bye.
Well, Sperry mentions that his ins. co. "accepted" that address (see above). I guess I'll assume that you also made them aware of everything you told us i.e., that it's not the actual location where the car is most likely to be (if that what the ridiculous insurance-company-terminology of "GARAGING" is supposed to mean) and possibly other things they may need to know. Because the REAL TEST will come when you have a claim, and I've heard that ins. comp's love to find ways to avoid paying a claim, using things like "well we didn't know this" or "you didn't tell us this"....etc. But I can tell you this: There are several major auto ins. companies that will you tell you they won't write you a policy if you travel around and live in hotels, while using one of those mail forwarding companies as an address (I think Geico, Progressive, are some examples). Now, if you're an existing customer, and then decide to start travelling around and give up your permanent residence, I think all companies will continue to cover you and use your last "perm." address.

But this "garaging" terminology (based on zip code) is ridiculous, because if you want to be a constant traveller (and are trying to get a new policy), they will still ask you "where is your car "garaged"...and this is the kind of answer I like: "You tell me, since you introduced the term, and I don't have a garage. Since I"m travelling all the time, you tell me what my "garaged address" should be". I guess I would first ask them to clearly define the term!! I assume they're simply trying to get at the concept of "most likely location", since the only way they can set a premium is by zip code...and their imited systems have no category for "always travelling". But I think the state of Oregon (or maybe WA) now has a category of "constant traveller" for DRIVER LICENSES (a different issue, of course), unlike other states that require you to prove you reside at a physical address in the state..... But car ins. co.'s don't.

sperry8

Post by sperry8 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:31 pm

halfnine wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:47 pm
LuigiLikesPizza wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:11 pm
I don't bring up my non physical address with companies that I am using. If I believe it may have become an issue I call a company I am not using and ask for a quote for their services first so I have options. Furthermore, where your sister can double up on accounts (credit cards, bank accounts, brokerages, etc.) I suggest she does it. That way if one account gets terminated she will at least have another.
btw this "doubling up" of accounts is excellent advice. Get no less than 2 bank/debit/checking accounts (i'd go even 3) before giving up permanent address. Same for brokerages, and so on, etc. Then, you can change mailing address to wherever (UPS, etc) and leave permanent address alone. Since all "Mail" comes to mailing address you won't get anything at permanent and rarely do companies re-check. Although I have had a few re-check and lost those accounts during travels (so the idea of multiple accounts makes it so she'll have some accounts left over to use).

Re garaging, I had in depth conversations with USAA re this and they were happy to accept my storage facility knowing full well my "car" wasn't parked there. But that's where my stuff was - and so that's the closest thing they could use. They placed this info in my file and although I never had a claim, I was honest and open about travels so one would hope it wouldn't cause any issues.

Banks are different due to Patriot Act they have to ensure a permanent US address. So as I said, best to get numerous accounts open while you have one. Then update mailing addresses for all (while leaving and permanent).
BH contest results: 2019: #233 of 645 | 18: #150 of 493 | 17: #516 of 647 | 16: #121 of 610 | 15: #18 of 552 | 14: #225 of 503 | 13: #383 of 433 | 12: #366 of 410 | 11: #113 of 369 | 10: #53 of 282

AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat » Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:39 pm

Jyb33 wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:35 pm
their imited systems have no category for "always travelling". But I think the state of Oregon (or maybe WA) now has a category of "constant traveller" for DRIVER LICENSES (a different issue, of course), unlike other states that require you to prove you reside at a physical address in the
Multiple states allow this. I've personally done it with both Colorado and South Dakota, and I know people that do it in Florida, Texas, Washington, and Nevada, with full disclosure to the state.
“Life doesn’t come with a warranty.” -Michael LeBoeuf

sperry8

Post by sperry8 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:46 pm

AerialWombat wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:39 pm
Jyb33 wrote:
their imited systems have no category for "always travelling". But I think the state of Oregon (or maybe WA) now has a category of "constant traveller" for DRIVER LICENSES (a different issue, of course), unlike other states that require you to prove you reside at a physical address in the
Multiple states allow this. I've personally done it with both Colorado and South Dakota, and I know people that do it in Florida, Texas, Washington, and Nevada, with full disclosure to the state.
That's interesting about Florida. I may have to look into that before my next extended travel spurt.

kramer

Post by kramer » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:10 pm

AerialWombat wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:39 pm
Jyb33 wrote:
As an aside, Texas, where it used to be easy to get and/or extend a driver's license if you were a vagabond, seems to have severely tightened their rules in order to comply with the Real ID act.