Car/Truck/SUV??

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Ecorp

Car/Truck/SUV??

Post by Ecorp » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:33 pm

I own a 2016 Hyundai Sonata. I could trade in and break even. I bought this before we got a 90lb dog. We have been taking him on day hikes,etc lately. He fits fine in backseat now but if both my kids come with me its a tight fit. Ill admit its rare they both come but it got me thinking of maybe getting something a little bigger.

I also own a 2008 Tundra, however its a regular cab with 8ft bed. I bought this truck in cash since I have alot of DIY projects,home depot,dump runs,etc.. Its VERY convenient to have it sitting outside to grab when I need to haul stuff or goto HD but I wonder if renting the trucks from HD make more sense?

I avg about 24k miles a year. One hour commute in both the morning and evening for work. So gas mileage is a concern with anything bigger.

I thought about selling truck and combining into a larger vehicle. Doesnt seem like there is alot that gets as good mpg as my current car though? Also I could sell truck and get older used 4x4 that can haul dogs,kids,etc.

Thoughts? Suggestions? TIA

elcadarj

Re: Car/Truck/SUV??

Post by elcadarj » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:37 pm

Honda Ridgeline. Truck bed, trunk, rear seats. Honda reliability. Neighbor has one that he uses for taking his family up to their place in the mountains. When I see him driving around the neighborhood, their black lab is usually riding shotgun.

We have an MDX. Same drive train. 225k reliable miles so far.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:48 pm

An older SuperCrew pickup would offer a spacious back seat and floor area for the dog.

I would keep the Sonata for the commute and just trade the 08 Tundra for a full size Ford F-150 SuperCrew. Or your favorite brand.

With lower use, a higher mileage one would be fine.
"People want confirmation, not advice" Unknown | "We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you" Unknown | Four words: Whole food, plant based

btenny

Post by btenny » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:48 pm

Look at a Subaru Outback or Forester. Both cars are economical and big. They have plenty of room in back seat for your kids and a big back cargo area for your dog. You can put him in a dog cage or just let him lay or stand back there. Plus there is lots of room for DIY stuff.

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/best-cars-for-dogs

megabad

Post by megabad » Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:49 pm

How much room do you have for vehicles? Personally, I would keep your truck since you indicated how useful it is and just buy a mid sized SUV (like say a highlander or something). If you own a bunch of vehicles, the incremental cost to insure and maintain is pretty low in my experience. Unless you have insane registration fees/taxes, I think it might be worth it.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:54 pm

Not on your list but I regularly use my minivan to haul full 4 x 8 sheets of plywood, drywall, etc with the hatch down with the added benefit that I don't have to tarp the load if it is raining.

IMO

Post by IMO » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:08 am

Ecorp wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:33 pm
I own a 2016 Hyundai Sonata. I could trade in and break even. I bought this before we got a 90lb dog. We have been taking him on day hikes,etc lately. He fits fine in backseat now but if both my kids come with me its a tight fit. Ill admit its rare they both come but it got me thinking of maybe getting something a little bigger.

I also own a 2008 Tundra, however its a regular cab with 8ft bed. I bought this truck in cash since I have alot of DIY projects,home depot,dump runs,etc.. Its VERY convenient to have it sitting outside to grab when I need to haul stuff or goto HD but I wonder if renting the trucks from HD make more sense?

I avg about 24k miles a year. One hour commute in both the morning and evening for work. So gas mileage is a concern with anything bigger.

I thought about selling truck and combining into a larger vehicle. Doesnt seem like there is alot that gets as good mpg as my current car though? Also I could sell truck and get older used 4x4 that can haul dogs,kids,etc.

Keep doing what your doing:

a) 2016 Hyundai Sonata gets good gas mileage and it's your commuting car.
b) 2008 Tundra is now 11 yrs old, you know it's history. It does what it does for when you need it.

People will say, "you're having to maintain 2 cars" which is true. However, the only real extra maintenance is the extra insurance (low with extra vehicle especially since you should only have liability on the 2008 Tundra) and registration (which is often relatively very low on a 2008 car). You do things like oil changes every 5,000 mile driven so it doesn't matter which car is doing the miles, it's only once ever 5,000 miles (or whatever your personal intervals). Same with tires, transmission flushes, etc. So long as you have space at your home. I personally hate the "2 cars to maintain argument" without thinking it through for your personal situation.

If you go to a single vehicle that gets less gas mileage than your daily high mileage commuter 2016 Hyundai Sonata, that creates a higher cost in gas. You'd have to factor that in, and it could very well be your insurance/registration costs of the 2008 Tundra would be LESS than the decrease in gas mileage cost from the "new single vehicle."

GMCZ71

Post by GMCZ71 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:17 am

Is a canopy for the Tundra possible? Also taking both vehicles for daytrips.
John

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:31 am

You've figured out that you can do Home Depot truck rentals. You can also buy yourself a utility trailer and haul anything you could with a pickup with any vehicle you have. If you plan to bring that cow and both kids, none of your vehicles work. I like the idea of an Outback. Leftover 19's have huge incentives from the factory now, so it's a great time to buy one. An Outback with a trailer can easily replace both vehicles. Small Tacomas have cult following, so you're going to get far more than its worth if you sell it privately.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:54 am

lthenderson wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:54 pm
Not on your list but I regularly use my minivan to haul full 4 x 8 sheets of plywood, drywall, etc with the hatch down with the added benefit that I don't have to tarp the load if it is raining.
We were at Home Depot last weekend buying some wood moldings that came in 8 foot lengths. We happened to be packed next to a very nice pickup truck with a crew cab. The crew cab really cut into the bed however, leaving it fairly short. It was also raining. As I threw the moldings into the back of the Odyssey, I thought - the only way the pickup truck could transport these would be to pass them through the rear window; they’d still be partially exposed to the weather.

If you don’t want to drive a minivan, an SUV may have more utility than a pickup truck.

Topic Author
Ecorp

Post by Ecorp » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:57 am

elcadarj wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:37 pm
Honda Ridgeline. Truck bed, trunk, rear seats. Honda reliability. Neighbor has one that he uses for taking his family up to their place in the mountains. When I see him driving around the neighborhood, their black lab is usually riding shotgun.

We have an MDX. Same drive train. 225k reliable miles so far.
Ridgeline is pretty cool with different configurations. Kinda pricey but something to keep in mind
btenny wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:48 pm
Look at a Subaru Outback or Forester. Both cars are economical and big. They have plenty of room in back seat for your kids and a big back cargo area for your dog. You can put him in a dog cage or just let him lay or stand back there. Plus there is lots of room for DIY stuff.

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/best-cars-for-dogs
Didnt think of the Outback, gets good mpg. Nice option
lthenderson wrote:
My wifes parents have a Van and yes its very convenient for almost everything but I dont think they are for me
Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:31 am
You've figured out that you can do Home Depot truck rentals. You can also buy yourself a utility trailer and haul anything you could with a pickup with any vehicle you have. If you plan to bring that cow and both kids, none of your vehicles work. I like the idea of an Outback. Leftover 19's have huge incentives from the factory now, so it's a great time to buy one. An Outback with a trailer can easily replace both vehicles. Small Tacomas have cult following, so you're going to get far more than its worth if you sell it privately.
Yes, Im pretty sure I can get back what I paid for the Truck on Craigslist
Kenkat wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:54 am
lthenderson wrote:
We were at Home Depot last weekend buying some wood moldings that came in 8 foot lengths. We happened to be packed next to a very nice pickup truck with a crew cab. The crew cab really cut into the bed however, leaving it fairly short. It was also raining. As I threw the moldings into the back of the Odyssey, I thought - the only way the pickup truck could transport these would be to pass them through the rear window; they’d still be partially exposed to the weather.

If you don’t want to drive a minivan, an SUV may have more utility than a pickup truck.
Yea, this is what I have been debating. If an SUV/renting Truck would be more useful

Thanks for all the suggestions so far, helps me think about all the options

chevca

Post by chevca » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:42 am

Ecorp wrote:
This is the most important job your vehicle has, as it is mainly what it's used for. All other uncommon situations can adapt at those times. Changing out vehicles for a few situations when just commuting is mainly what you use a vehicle for is a bad idea, IMO. Stick with what you have.

Greentree

Post by Greentree » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:32 am

Renting a truck at Home Depot is a pain compared to having your own means if you are doing a decent amount of work. I have a wagon with a roof rack as own main car and I can fit everything on top of it. When I've rented from our local Home Depot, it takes me ~30 minutes to wait in line and sign the paperwork, Then I have to return the truck as fast as possible and then drive back home again. Not a big deal for a once a year trip but if you're doing it more often, it is not ideal.

I might keep what you've got, or look at a wagon (Subaru, Venza, Crosstour, Prius, etc) with a roof rack.

abonder

Post by abonder » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:53 am

Maybe not the answer you wanted to hear but the most fiscally sound thing is to keep the current setup. You’ll take a major hit if you sell a 2016 sonata now as Hyundai’s take a big depreciation hit. Also, sedans are generally less popular than ever (dumb SUV craze) so I think unloading a reliable and quite new commuter is a poor option overall. Sounds like you should suffer through the current setup and rent or take two vehicles if that’s intolerable for special situation.

Topic Author
Ecorp

Post by Ecorp » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:35 pm

abonder wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:53 am
Maybe not the answer you wanted to hear but the most fiscally sound thing is to keep the current setup. You’ll take a major hit if you sell a 2016 sonata now as Hyundai’s take a big depreciation hit. Also, sedans are generally less popular than ever (dumb SUV craze) so I think unloading a reliable and quite new commuter is a poor option overall. Sounds like you should suffer through the current setup and rent or take two vehicles if that’s intolerable for special situation.
Thanks for the response,, Thats why I asked the questions. I can keep the same setup and use the suggestions for when its natural time to replace commuter. Just wanted to get thoughts.

ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:29 pm

Buy a nice 6.5x10 utility trailer.

- larger than truck bed
- hold more than truck bed
- easier to load for a few days then dump

abonder

Post by abonder » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:22 pm

Ecorp wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:35 pm
abonder wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:53 am
Thanks for the response,, Thats why I asked the questions. I can keep the same setup and use the suggestions for when its natural time to replace commuter. Just wanted to get thoughts.
This place is a good sounding board for so many topics! That being said, it’s a financial forum so you’ll tend to get answers that prioritize the most fiscally responsible course. If you ask the same question on an automotive enthusiasts forums, you’ll likely get a very different response! As a boglehead car enthusiast, I’m in a state of near-constant conflict. I want to constantly change out my vehicle to try different options, but I know that fiscally it would be an imprudent pathway!

B4Xt3r

Post by B4Xt3r » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:08 am

Ecorp wrote:

OP, 2018 Ford supercrew with 2.7 ecoboost can get mid twenties in highway mpg, has a cavarnous backseat, and has a great torque curve.

tea_pirate

Post by tea_pirate » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:53 am

This is a prime example of lifestyle creep. Fight it! Cars are the second biggest line item expense in most peoples' budgets behind housing. You said it yourself, it's rare that the kids and the dog both come.

SUVs/trucks have higher up-front costs, higher operating costs (poor MPG - lol at the guy acting like mid-20's is good), and higher maintenance costs (bigger tires, etc). 90% of SUV/truck buyers do not actually need them at all and their needs would be equally met with a hatchback.

Would you regret your purchase if gas went back to $5/gallon?

fizxman

Post by fizxman » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:21 am

B4Xt3r wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:08 am
Ecorp wrote:

OP, 2018 Ford supercrew with 2.7 ecoboost can get mid twenties in highway mpg, has a cavarnous backseat, and has a great torque curve.
This is exactly what I have and can attest to this.

dsmclone

Post by dsmclone » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:35 am

One of my largest financial screw ups was buying a full size truck. I have had probably 20 cars/SUV's in my lifetime and thought it was time to try out a truck.9 months later, I didn't have a truck. It was nice inside, had lots of room, decent gas mileage for it's size. etc. I just couldn't get around the fact that it was just so big. Just simple things like parking where you take up every square inch of the parking space. At times it felt like I was driving a semi.

Presintense

Post by Presintense » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:43 am

Ecorp wrote:

I have the exact same challenge: would like to find a vehicle that does everything AND gets great gas mileage. Thanks to the OP for posting.
Performance = Potential - Distraction

Calico

Post by Calico » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:19 am

I am buying a replacement car soon and I have the same issue as you. My dog isn't as big (only 24 pounds) but she "has" to be in a kennel in the car. I am opting for a hatchback car. It's economical and has the space. I used to have a 70 pound dog that didn't need a kennel. She fit with room to spare in the hatch area of my Pontiac Vibe (same as Toyota Matrix). I also used that car to haul a few things (I put a full sized bike in the trunk with the seats folded down. I could fit a Christmas tree back there too as well as some molding I bought.

I think I can do the same with the more modern hatches. I've measured them and compared them to my old car. But my solution might not work for you. The newer cars don't seem to have as much space as the old Vibe. And I only have one kid so when the dog was in the back, her stuff was on the floor in the seat next to her. Now that she's a teen, she sits in the front seat with me and we have the whole backseat open (unless I am also carting around some of her friends). So with two kids (and a spouse) the ideas for a smaller SUV might work better. If you want fuel economy, maybe a hybrid would work?

Topic Author
Ecorp

Post by Ecorp » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:22 am

Greentree wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:32 am
Renting a truck at Home Depot is a pain compared to having your own means if you are doing a decent amount of work. I have a wagon with a roof rack as own main car and I can fit everything on top of it. When I've rented from our local Home Depot, it takes me ~30 minutes to wait in line and sign the paperwork, Then I have to return the truck as fast as possible and then drive back home again. Not a big deal for a once a year trip but if you're doing it more often, it is not ideal.

I might keep what you've got, or look at a wagon (Subaru, Venza, Crosstour, Prius, etc) with a roof rack.
Great point and reminds me why I got the truck in the first place. FIL has a truck that I can borrow at anytime but its 30 miles roundtrip to go borrow and added an hour to every time I needed to use it
abonder wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:22 pm
This place is a good sounding board for so many topics! That being said, it’s a financial forum so you’ll tend to get answers that prioritize the most fiscally responsible course. If you ask the same question on an automotive enthusiasts forums, you’ll likely get a very different response! As a boglehead car enthusiast, I’m in a state of near-constant conflict. I want to constantly change out my vehicle to try different options, but I know that fiscally it would be an imprudent pathway!
Yep, dream big then come here to get talked down,lol
Presintense wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:43 am
I have the exact same challenge: would like to find a vehicle that does everything AND gets great gas mileage. Thanks to the OP for posting.
Yep,,Tesla Full size truck could be promising but Im sure the price would be out of my reach,

Presintense

Post by Presintense » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:18 am

Ecorp wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:22 am
Greentree wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:32 am

Great point and reminds me why I got the truck in the first place. FIL has a truck that I can borrow at anytime but its 30 miles roundtrip to go borrow and added an hour to every time I needed to use it
abonder wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:22 pm
Yep, dream big then come here to get talked down,lol
Presintense wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:43 am
Yep,,Tesla Full size truck could be promising but Im sure the price would be out of my reach,
My keep it simple brain thinks paying more for a vehicle with higher (or infinite) mpg = paying less for a vehicle with lower mpg. #conundrum
Performance = Potential - Distraction

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:30 am

I would keep the truck, since you already have it, and it’s doing what you need. A truck that can also haul people comfortably is insanely expensive. Both purchase and ongoing costs are high for the utility you get.

It kind of depends on how often the kids and the dog ride together. If it’s really once in awhile and not for long distances, I would tell the kids to suck it up. If that won’t work, I would think about whether or not a hatchback would work. The dog doesn’t need a ton of space. A 90 lb dog would be just fine in the back of my Mazda 3, for example, and the Mazda is still a good commuter car.