Is Crown Molding Out-of-Style?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Kennedy

Is Crown Molding Out-of-Style?

Post by Kennedy » Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:29 pm

I was looking at new build model homes today and noted that none, including the high end builders, had crown molding. Is this an upgrade worth spending money on, or is it considered out-of-style?

fortfun

Re: Is Crown Molding Out-of-Style?

Post by fortfun » Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:34 pm

Kennedy wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:29 pm
I was looking at new build model homes today and noted that none, including the high end builders, had crown molding. Is this an upgrade worth spending money on, or is it considered out-of-style?
Probably still in style for homes trying to replicate that time period.

staythecourse

Post by staythecourse » Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:37 pm

I think for traditional and maybe transitional it is okay. We built our house and designed it myself and didn't add it as we have a contemporary build and would have looked out of place.

In my opinion, if your going to do it get some originality in the design. If it looks like the stuff they sell at home depot then it is going to look like a home depot quality build.

The crown molding decision may affect your preference for wainscotting so keep that in mind.

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle

Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe » Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:38 pm

Kennedy wrote:
Yes it is out of style.

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:41 pm

Kennedy wrote:
If you like it enough, it's worth it. If this is your home, ignore what's in style and do your own thing.

Some of my neighbors have crown molding. I don't, because it's a bit formal for my taste. I like my house and I like my neighbors' houses too.

Remember that whatever is in-style now will probably be out-of-style when you are ready to sell the house.
Last edited by JoeRetire on Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Very Stable Genius

Starfish

Post by Starfish » Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:00 pm

I don't think was ever in style on plywood houses. It's kitsch.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:18 pm

It’s still in style on actual Victorian houses. On anything newer, it’s mostly there to hide the poor quality of the construction work.

Serious and probably more useful answer this time... If you want to know what’s in and out of style, watch the home remodeling shows on HGTV. Then make your own decisions, keeping in mind that in a decade when you go to sell, what’s in style now will, of course, look dated.

Cycle

Post by Cycle » Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:35 pm

New houses are constructed very cheaply, so you generally don't see much decorative woodwork bc it would cost an arm and a leg to have a carpenter put in three piece crown molding and baseboards.

I think the woodwork is attractive (in a craftsman era home), but I'm sure there was some utilitarian reason for these things that is no longer needed with modern drywall.
Never look back unless you are planning to go that way

renue74

Post by renue74 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:37 pm

I live in the south and still see it in new construction homes.

I think it really depends on the neighborhood. There are a few "Charleston style" new construction home subdivisions in my area. Higher end homes that mimic Charleston style homes....(narrow frontage, deep lots). All those houses have crown moulding.

Crown is not cheap. I refinished a 1935 craftsman last year and added 6" cove moulding with a picture rail below it. For a 1600 sq/ft house, millwork costs was about $3K and I easily put at least 5 or more labor days into the install....then you have finishing (nail heads), caulk and painting.

UALflyer

Post by UALflyer » Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:08 pm

Kennedy wrote:
It continues to be very much in style and is considered to be a high end feature. As others have correctly noted above though, custom woodwork costs an arm and a leg, which significantly cuts into builder margins. Hence, the reason that a lot of builders do not include it, particularly those that aren't really "high end" builders but more of an "upscale" builder variety.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:15 pm

It doesn't go with the mid century modern style that's "in" right now. Crown, base, and window mouldings go very well with a transitional style which is more mix and match. Agree builders are probably not putting it in because it is expensive even if the material is painted MDF (plus install costs). With a 9 or 10 foot ceiling you'd want minimum 6" or larger to look good.

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:18 pm

I think you don’t see it a lot because it fairly expensive and takes a fair amount of skill to do well. I have a pretty modern open floor plan house - we have a 3 piece crown molding in our great room and dining room and I think it looks fantastic. The woodwork in our house really sets it apart from other houses I think. When we built the house 20 years ago, we went with white painted woodwork. I am glad we did because I think that is more in style than stained woodwork more recently (not to mention quite a bit less expensive).

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:42 pm

All the homes in our neighborhood have crown molding. It looks great. All the homes have 9 ft ceilings which I think is just normal height.

I didn't even know it was a style.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:46 pm

I didn’t pay to upgrade it, but there are crown moldings on various area. My house is built in 2013. Not ancient.

jharkin

Post by jharkin » Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:59 pm

My house has crown molding in many rooms... but it was built in the 18th century. To answer cycle’ question... decorative woodwork in colonial/federal/Greek revival period houses was partially used to hide posts and beams of the timber frame.. but much of it was just decorative. The wealthier the builder, the more fancy moldings.

(Edit: I should add there was an actual purpose at least to the baseboard. When walls where plaster the baseboards where not installed over the wall like modern work. The baseboard where installed first, nailed right to the studs, then the lath was attached and plaster applied.. the baseboard serving as a stop to keep the plaster off the floorboards.)

By the Victorian period it was purely decorative. And it wasn’t always wood, the most intricate detail is cast plaster and takes real skill to replicate.

When I see it in modern construction, I think McMansion....

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:19 pm

Kennedy wrote:
It is out of style because of cost. It takes time and effort to install. And then there is extra maintenance. It also does not go well with popcorn ceilings.

I love it, but then none of my wood work would look good.

I’ve never heard of a person who didn’t buy a home because it had crown molding (resale value).

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:31 pm

Dottie57 wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:19 pm
It also does not go well with popcorn ceilings.
Now that's something that has been long out of style, right?
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:52 pm

Dottie57 wrote:
I’ve never heard of a person who didn’t buy a home because it had crown molding (resale value).
Our former house had 6" crown moulding in most rooms that we added after we purchased it. Crown moulding is not common in our area and it looked very good. I don't know if it added resale value but we were told several of the buyers who made offers "fell in love with the crown moulding". When you are trying to sell a house its good for the seller to have buyers develop an emotional attachment to something.

serbeer

Post by serbeer » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:16 pm

We purchased a house with crown moldings painted same off-white color as walls, and wall moldings, whatever they are called, painted in slightly different but similar color, and they look great, the house has modern but also high-end look, moldings are noticeable but not in your face. One of the first notes in appraiser's report was that the house has crown moldings.

bikechuck

Post by bikechuck » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:35 pm

Dottie57 wrote:
Kennedy wrote:
It is out of style because of cost. It takes time and effort to install. And then there is extra maintenance. It also does not go well with popcorn ceilings.

I am curious about your comment about extra maintenance. What do you need to do to maintain it?

ponyboy

Post by ponyboy » Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:05 am

Stop watching hgtv. Stop asking if something is out of style. Do you like crown molding? If you like it and want it, get it. Stop being influenced by others.

bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:32 am

Not out of style at all. High quality and tasteful doesn’t have a style.

Custom cabinetry, crown mouldings, finished in place wood floors... they are classic - never in style never out of style. Other things will come and go because they are cheaper.
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.

jharkin

Post by jharkin » Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:32 am

serbeer wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:16 pm
We purchased a house with crown moldings painted same off-white color as walls, and wall moldings, whatever they are called, painted in slightly different but similar color, and they look great, the house has modern but also high-end look, moldings are noticeable but not in your face. One of the first notes in appraiser's report was that the house has crown moldings.
I never understood the point of painting the wall and trim the same color ... how zzzz zzzzz zzzzz.

To answer your question, a mounding that runs along the middle of the wall at the level of the window sills is a chair rail. If it’s up high on the wall above the windows but below the crown it’s a picture rail.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:20 am

livesoft wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:31 pm
Dottie57 wrote:
I hope it is out of style. ButI haven’t looked for 30+ years. One benefit - pop corn ceilings don’t generally show settling cracks.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:23 am

bikechuck wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:35 pm
Dottie57 wrote:
Kennedy wrote:

I am curious about your comment about extra maintenance. What do you need to do to maintain it?
Painting or if left a wood color, then adding a layer of protection (polyurethane, etc). You don’t have to do much, but something.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:25 am

ponyboy wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:05 am
Stop watching hgtv. Stop asking if something is out of style. Do you like crown molding? If you like it and want it, get it. Stop being influenced by others.
+1 - so important.

Develop your own sense of style. I personally don’t like gray which s so popular. Don’t like open concept either. In 20 years people will start putting in some walls..

shell921

Post by shell921 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:50 am

bungalow10 wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:32 am
Not out of style at all. High quality and tasteful doesn’t have a style.

Custom cabinetry, crown mouldings, finished in place wood floors... they are classic - never in style never out of style. Other things will come and go because they are cheaper.
Agree ! My custom home is 10 years old and I have crown molding. It's classic !

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:55 am

Dottie57 wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:20 am
livesoft wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:31 pm
Dottie57 wrote:
I hope it is out of style. ButI haven’t looked for 30+ years. One benefit - pop corn ceilings don’t generally show settling cracks.
I don't care for the look, but anything with irregular surfaces, as popcorn ceilings have, is generally an acoustical blessing.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:59 am

I’m surprised anyone would say it’s out of style. Now it might not fit a particular style of house, but it is definitely in style.

We have none in our current Midwest house. Having extensive crown molding and beautiful base and trim in our New England and thrn Carolina house, we miss it. If we build, it will most definitely have crown molding.

Cyclesafe

Post by Cyclesafe » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:01 am

One summer DW bought a high-end miter saw and tarted up our transitional track home with moulding (chair, crown, picture, window frames, column flutes, baseboards) everywhere. It looks super nice because it also goes with our furniture which is transitional/traditional. It sets our house apart from its eventual competition - IMHO probably in a good way.

Watch movies (old and new), look at magazines and see moulding everywhere.

As stated above, moulding would not be appropriate for super contemporary houses where the appeal is hard angularity.
"Plans are useless; planning is indispensable.” - Dwight Eisenhower

bighatnohorse

Post by bighatnohorse » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:17 am

Cycle wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:35 pm
. . .
I think the woodwork is attractive (in a craftsman era home), but I'm sure there was some utilitarian reason for these things that is no longer needed with modern drywall.
This. Old construction styles often needed trim to cover up irregularities. Newer methods are more precise and cover trim is not needed.

GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:42 am

I don’t think it’s out of style, it’s more just out of use. It adds extra cost and builders are often trying to cut costs.

ralph124cf

Post by ralph124cf » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:24 am

bikechuck wrote:
Dottie57 wrote:
Kennedy wrote:

When repainting, the field will normally be flat or matte finish, while the molding (base, crown, door and window) will normally be gloss or semi-gloss, and frequently of a contrasting color, most often white. This would be for a quality paint job. A cheap job might have everything painted with the same paint.

Ralph

RudyS

Post by RudyS » Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:34 am

Dottie57 wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:25 am
ponyboy wrote:
+1 - so important.

Develop your own sense of style. I personally don’t like gray which s so popular. Don’t like open concept either. In 20 years people will start putting in some walls..
I bet granite countertops, stainless steel appliances, and travertine tile will be things of the past also.

edge

Post by edge » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:09 pm

Unless contemporary in style, most all high end homes have wood trim - around windows, doors, crown and/or wainscot. The higher end the home, usually the more elaborate the trim - going all the way to plaster and hand carved wood.

inexpensive homes do not have wood trim because it is expensive.

Also - I doubt granite/stone/wood/other natural materials will go ‘out of style’.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:23 pm

Thinking it may be. We purchased our home almost three years ago. Prior to buying we walked through a lot of homes over a three year period. Not many of the homes we walked through had crown molding.
John C. Bogle - Two Fund Portfolio: Total Stock & Total Bond. "Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:29 pm

edge wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:09 pm
Unless contemporary in style, most all high end homes have wood trim - around windows, doors, crown and/or wainscot. The higher end the home, usually the more elaborate the trim - going all the way to plaster and hand carved wood.

Also - I doubt granite/stone/wood/other natural materials will go ‘out of style’.
Granite needs sealing. I have quartz counters which are nearly indestructible and don’t need maintenance beyond daily cleanup.

dsmclone

Post by dsmclone » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:26 am

Here is the responses you can expect in this type of thread:

If they have crown molding in their house=Crown molding never goes out of style. The only reason you no longer see it is because people can't afford it.

If they don't have crown molding=Crown molding is out of style.

The truth=Probably depends on the style of the house and the quality of workmanship.

mrc

Post by mrc » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:35 am

dsmclone wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:26 am

If they have crown molding in their house=Crown molding never goes out of style. The only reason you no longer see it is because people can't afford it.

The truth=Probably depends on the style of the house and the quality of workmanship.
This ^^

High end homebuilders install crown (and other) molding. Low end homebuilders do not. It's not a matter of style, but cost.
Macs are for those who don’t want to know why their computer works | Linux is for those who do | DOS is for those who want to know why their computer doesn’t work | Windows is for those who don’t

Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:39 am

Dottie57 wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:29 pm
edge wrote:

Granite needs sealing. I have quartz counters which are nearly indestructible and don’t need maintenance beyond daily cleanup.
But lack the character of real granite

Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:41 am

RudyS wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:34 am
Dottie57 wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:25 am
ponyboy wrote:
+1 - so important.

I bet granite countertops, stainless steel appliances, and travertine tile will be things of the past also.
People keep saying that about granite and stainless and yet it perseveres. I can’t stand most travertine.

I do wonder about wood-look tile. I love the durability and maintenance aspect, but will it seem dated in 10 years?

Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:43 am

bikechuck wrote:
Dottie57 wrote:
Kennedy wrote:

It will likely need to be re-caulked as most caulk them in now prior to finish painting.

Ruger

Post by Ruger » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:59 am

I have a boxy, boring 1950 house. I added the crown molding myself after I moved in, and I replaced all the window and door trim and the baseboards with wide trim with a nice profile. Really makes the place look much nicer so I think it depends on the style of your home to begin with. Boring, add some pizzaz with trim. And a nice, well designed house probably won't need it.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:01 am

Bacchus01 wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:39 am
Dottie57 wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:29 pm
edge wrote:

But lack the character of real granite
You are right in that quartz does not look like granite. It IS easier to care for. The first thing people say when entering my kitchen is they love the counter top.

Different strokes for different folks.

tim1999

Post by tim1999 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:03 am

I had to look up at the ceiling just now to know if I have crown molding or not. Certainly wasn't something I noticed or cared about when selecting this house to buy.

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:12 am

dsmclone wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:26 am

Funny and probably true. Also the make and model of car that I drive is the best and what you should drive as well... :D

stan1

Post by stan1 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:41 am

Maybe also some regional variations. People in the Southwest may prefer to put an incremental dollar into a backyard patio/pool area rather than crown moulding.