I need advice on cleaning a toilet. How to you clean this part of the toilet? What is the best thing to use?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
iamblessed

I need advice on cleaning a toilet. How to you clean this part of the toilet? What is the best thing to use?

Post by iamblessed » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:34 am

Here is a picture of the area I am talking about. The area to the right. https://i.imgur.com/5FjCheh.jpg
Last edited by iamblessed on Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

ResearchMed

Re: I need advice on cleaning a toilet. How to you clean this part of the toilet?

Post by ResearchMed » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:43 am

iamblessed wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:34 am
Here is a picture of the area I am talking about. The area to the right. https://i.imgur.com/5FjCheh.jpg
That looks a bit odd, but the part at the right is the "down the hatch" part, correct?

How about with a brush (large bottle brush shape, or other with handle where the "brush" part can fit in the hatch)?

At a certain point, one is simply not going to be able to clean "further down".
Is it discoloration/staining only or actually dirty?

Also, it that part still fully finished porcelain/etc.?

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

Topic Author
iamblessed

Re: I need advice on cleaning a toilet. How to you clean this part of the toilet?

Post by iamblessed » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:44 am

ResearchMed wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:43 am
iamblessed wrote:
That looks a bit odd, but the part at the right is the "down the hatch" part, correct?

How about with a brush (large bottle brush shape, or other with handle where the "brush" part can fit in the hatch)?

At a certain point, one is simply not going to be able to clean "further down".
Is it discoloration/staining only or actually dirty?

Also, it that part still fully finished porcelain/etc.?

RM
No down the hatch is to the left. I can clean that part pretty good. The area to the right I am having trouble with. I think only water comes out the hole on the right.

Re: I need advice on cleaning a toilet. How to you clean this part of the toilet? What is the best thing to use?

Post by 123 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:50 am

Sometimes it's easier to just get down on the floor and reach in with a rag or scrubbing pad.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

a.koparkar

Re: I need advice on cleaning a toilet. How to you clean this part of the toilet? What is the best thing to use?

Post by a.koparkar » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:56 am

I wonder whether Liquid Plumr might do the job of removing most of the build up? It is a chemical.
If it works on buildups clogging the drain, it might work by dissolving this build up too.

samsoes

Post by samsoes » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:02 pm

a.koparkar wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:56 am
I wonder whether Liquid Plumr might do the job of removing most of the build up? It is a chemical.
If it works on buildups clogging the drain, it might work by dissolving this build up too.
Careful! Chemicals should not go down into a septic tank if OP has one.

If OP is connected to a municipal sewer, well, disregard my comment.
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)

CABob

Post by CABob » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:03 pm

CLR? Vinegar? Razor blade?
Bob

cantoque

Post by cantoque » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:07 pm

Use a pumice stone

mrspock

Post by mrspock » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:12 pm

iamblessed wrote:
Maybe I'm just a germaphobe, but I'd rip the toilet out and get a new one....then I'd take a sludge hammer to the old one :D . $120 later...problem solved (and you might save some water too)!

l8_apex

Post by l8_apex » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:13 pm

cantoque wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:07 pm
Use a pumice stone
This.

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:20 pm

Pumie scouring sticks at Walmart. Works well without chemical and inexpensively.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/US-Pumice-He ... gJb5fD_BwE

Don_Qua

Post by Don_Qua » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:50 pm

HueyLD wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:20 pm
Pumie scouring sticks at Walmart. Works well without chemical and inexpensively.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/US-Pumice-He ... gJb5fD_BwE
I tried this on the advice of a friend and it worked where everything else I tried (vinegar, melamine sponge, Drano, scraping) did not.

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:11 pm

Another very good and inexpensive cleaning product for the hard to work down in that slot where the water comes out (and also on the downhill side).

The Works is much better than the other liquids like Clorox or Lysol. You can get it at Walmart.

https://www.theworkscleans.com/toiletcleaner.html#

Quaestner

Post by Quaestner » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:59 pm

cantoque wrote:
Use a pumice stone
I was a part-time janitor for over a decade. I often used this igneous rock to remove mineral deposits. I'd give it a shot on your stain.

Topic Author
iamblessed

Post by iamblessed » Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:00 pm

cantoque wrote:
Use a pumice stone
I have tried a pumice stone but the hole is to small for the stone.

Boglegrappler

Post by Boglegrappler » Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:25 pm

I've had a problem in the toilets with a lime type buildup at the waterline that nothing seems to be able to remove easily.

After trying a lot of things, I tried using a griddle screen pad that is sold by restaurant supply stores to clean flat griddles. It removed the encrusted lime ring with not much effort, and didn't seem to scratch the porcelain finish, at least not to me.

I'd buy a pack and try that. You can fold and roll them to fit into tight spots.

dbr

Post by dbr » Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:28 pm

Barkeepers Friend may work, applied with a brush, sponge or whatever, elbow grease, and time to work.

mariezzz

Post by mariezzz » Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:32 am

l8_apex wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:13 pm
cantoque wrote:
Use a pumice stone
This.
Pumice will work but it works by scratching the porcelain, which in the end, makes the problem worse.
Barkeepers friend might work.
There's lots of advice on internet.

If you're in a hard water area, you could try "The Works" toilet bowl cleaner. I tend to rely on hot soap & water, or baking soda, for virtually all other cleaning, but I will use chemicals to keep the toilet clean!

To empty most of the water out of the toilet bowl: turn off water valve, then flush toilet. Then take about 4 quarts of water & quickly dump it into the bowl - this should siphon most of the water in the bowl out. Then add toilet cleaner - gels tend to stick better to bowl sides. Use a good amount. Put down lid, shut bathroom door (to keep pets/young kids out), and let it sit for a good half hour. Take one of the green 3M scrubby things (sponges have them on one side or you may find them on scrubbing wands with long handles) and wearing rubber gloves, scrub at the stain. If it's scale from hard water, you may have to try something designed for hard water (The Works is one) - but vinegar may help, if fairly concentrated, since acid eats away at the scale. You may have to leave it sit a little longer (3-4 hours) & might need to add more vinegar. Then scrub. Vinegar's a mild acid and will be more diluted by the water. You could try carefully scraping with a razor. It might not get it all off, but it might penetrate the scale somewhat to let the cleaner or vinegar get access to more surface area of the scale.

Never add anything to the toilet tank (never add the blue things that make your toilet water blue, or other tablets) -- those eat away at the rubber that is on the hardware in the toilet tank, including the gasket and seals that keep your toilet from leaking.

celia

Post by celia » Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:53 am

samsoes wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:02 pm

If the municipal sewer runs into the ocean or a river, don’t put chemicals in it either.

Turbo29

Post by Turbo29 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:50 am

HueyLD wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:11 pm
Another very good and inexpensive cleaning product for the hard to work down in that slot where the water comes out (and also on the downhill side).

The Works is much better than the other liquids like Clorox or Lysol. You can get it at Walmart.

https://www.theworkscleans.com/toiletcleaner.html#
+1
The active ingredient is hydrogen chloride (hydrochloric acid). I had the exact same stain. I plunged as much water out of the toilet as I could and then put a hydrochloric acid based toilet cleaner in and let it sit for 20 minutes. Brushed with a toilet brush and it was gone. Drano won't work as it is at the opposite end of the pH scale, it's a strong base as opposed to a strong acid. Those type of stains need acid.

BTW, those stains sometimes come from not flushing #1 in an attempt to save water.

mrc

Post by mrc » Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:29 pm

If you don't have a plunger, or your plunger technique isn't that good, you can empty a toilet bowl by pouring in a pail of water. Once you start the siphon, the bowl will empty. And because you didn't flush, the bowl won't refill.

I use a half-teaspoon of muriatic acid (for etching concrete or pools) to remove mineral deposits from the throat of my toilets.
Science is about the pursuit of truth. That always threatens someone.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:35 pm

What about pouring bleach or CRL and letting it sit for an extended period of time? This may solve the issue?

I have added bleach and let it sit for hours. This really seems to keep things very clean. We have public water and sewer (no septic).
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

ThreeBears

Post by ThreeBears » Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:57 pm

So, I've had this problem on my toilet. There is only one solution: muriatic acid.

And you obviously have not tried this, as the problem would not still exist.

If you do this please take all precautions: (1) full face shield, (2) rubber gloves, (3) open window, (4) ceiling fan on, and (5) no kids around.

I had a worse scum stain than that. I tried everything including a gallon of vinegar and borax. Nothing worked.

Yes, this is a chemical solution, but it's better than filling the landfills with a perfectly good toilet, just because of a small stain.

Good luck!!

Turbo29

Post by Turbo29 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:41 pm

I will point out that muriatic acid is hydrochloric acid. So it you have pool acid around you don't need to purchase a hydrochloric acid based toilet cleaner.

As others mentioned it can let off acrid fumes and you don't want it in your eye or on your skin.

As for the environment, hydrochloric acid is not something that will persist in the environment. It is simple hydrogen chloride (table salt is sodium chloride) and actually after reacting with the stain and other water constituents the waste will be sodium, calcium, and magnesium chlorides, none of which are toxic.

fposte

Post by fposte » Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:35 pm

If it's a hard water stain, I'd just pour a bottle of vinegar in and let it sit for overnight or the equivalent, then wipe it up. Same process with showerheads and kettles.. The color leads me to think that there may be iron involved, though.

dbr

Post by dbr » Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:46 pm

fposte wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:35 pm
If it's a hard water stain, I'd just pour a bottle of vinegar in and let it sit for overnight or the equivalent, then wipe it up. Same process with showerheads and kettles.. The color leads me to think that there may be iron involved, though.
If indeed rust is involved then Barkeeper's Friend is for that as one active ingredient is oxalic acid. Hydrochloric acid works as well or better.

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:16 am

If you need something to fit the hole to the right, then it's time to get a new toothbrush and retire the old one to cleaning duties.

My first instinct would be to try scrubbing it with scouring powder or baking soda.

Fordguy88

Post by Fordguy88 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:45 am

I go to Menard's (from Wisconsin) and use a chemical titled "Acidic Bowl Cleaner" and it removes every type of stain under the sun if you spray it into the bowl and let it soak for 10 minutes. Try finding something along those lines to use on the bowl/jet area you're trying to clean.

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:01 am

celia wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:53 am
samsoes wrote:

If the municipal sewer runs into the ocean or a river, don’t put chemicals in it either.
Your thoughts are that the raw sewer lines are directly draining into an ocean or river?

dbr

Post by dbr » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:17 am

An option is to find a way to manage personal waste without any of it going down sewers. I am not clear on the implications for keeping the facility clean.

Faith20879

Post by Faith20879 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:06 am

I use a "paint stick" (not sure if its the actual name) and it works wonderfully.

It is a little stronger than balsa wood planks - strong enough for the crud but soft enough so not to damage the porcelain. It does the job.

Our local paint shop gives them for free when you buy paint from them. I have a bunch left over from last home project.

FeesR-BullNotBullish

Post by FeesR-BullNotBullish » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:21 am

I had a toilet that was worse than yours. I tried everything I could think of which was less exhaustive than the advice on this thread. I ended up buying a new toilet. Hopefully you have better success.

celia

Post by celia » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:16 pm

smitcat wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:01 am
celia wrote:
samsoes wrote:

Your thoughts are that the raw sewer lines are directly draining into an ocean or river?
Yes, the drains on the main streets in lots of Southern California have been marked with warnings that they go to the ocean so no dumping is allowed. There are some kinds of "screens" along the way to catch big debris and sewage. Some of it is filtered but liquids keep on flowing.

Did you know that the Los Angeles River is really a large drainage channel, especially at the south end?

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:37 pm

celia wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:16 pm
smitcat wrote:
celia wrote:
samsoes wrote:

Yes, the drains on the main streets in lots of Southern California have been marked with warnings that they go to the ocean so no dumping is allowed. There are some kinds of "screens" along the way to catch big debris and sewage. Some of it is filtered but liquids keep on flowing.

Did you know that the Los Angeles River is really a large drainage channel, especially at the south end?
Your thoughts are that the street runoff drains are the same as raw sewage from homes in S. Calif?

celia

Post by celia » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:26 pm

smitcat wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:37 pm
celia wrote:

Your thoughts are that the street runoff drains are the same as raw sewage from homes in S. Calif?
I'm not sure of the details, since that's not a particular area of interest for me, but we do know exactly where our sewer from the house goes since it had to be replaced several years ago. It goes to a city line that runs between our house and the house behind us which in turn runs to the end of the block. The street sewer collects nearby. I *think* they end up in different pipe systems with the house sewer system going to a reclamation plant which cleans it up and then the water is used as recycled water for city, park, and school landscaping. There are signs on public property saying not to drink the landscaping water as it is recycled.

Don't forget that we are in an area with frequent droughts and are encouraged to not use much on landscaping. We are encouraged to have water-permeable landscape, such as pavers, so water can soak into the water table and be re-cycled instead of it running into the street sewer, which would be going to the ocean. When it rains, the drain channel beds tend to rise, but they don't smell, so I guess the street sewers and house sewers would be separate lines.

I hope this answers your questions, since I don't know anything else. :oops:

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:37 pm

celia wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:26 pm
smitcat wrote:
celia wrote:

I'm not sure of the details, since that's not a particular area of interest for me, but we do know exactly where our sewer from the house goes since it had to be replaced several years ago. It goes to a city line that runs between our house and the house behind us which in turn runs to the end of the block. The street sewer collects nearby. I *think* they end up in different pipe systems with the house sewer system going to a reclamation plant which cleans it up and then the water is used as recycled water for city, park, and school landscaping. There are signs on public property saying not to drink the landscaping water as it is recycled.

Don't forget that we are in an area with frequent droughts and are encouraged to not use much on landscaping. We are encouraged to have water-permeable landscape, such as pavers, so water can soak into the water table and be re-cycled instead of it running into the street sewer, which would be going to the ocean. When it rains, the drain channel beds tend to rise, but they don't smell, so I guess the street sewers and house sewers would be separate lines.

Gee - I really hope that the raw sewage in S calif does not go directly to rivers and oceans.....but we live 1,000's of miles from there and I really do not know.
Where we are the raw sewage goes to sewage treatment plants that have primary , secondary and tertiary process's to remove anything that would be harmful prior to the outfall pipe.
Since this is what we have here any toilet cleaning chemicals are insignificant to the treatment plant and the outfall.
I sure hope its the same in any area that you might be in.

Turbo29

Post by Turbo29 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:04 pm

smitcat wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:37 pm
celia wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:26 pm
smitcat wrote:
celia wrote:

The drains on the streets marked that they go straight to the ocean are for storm water runoff. The sewage in the LA Area is all treated in wastewater plants, the largest of which is in Carson, California.

https://www.lacsd.org/wastewater/wwfacilities/jwpcp/
Gee - I really hope that the raw sewage in S calif does not go directly to rivers and oceans.....but we live 1,000's of miles from there and I really do not know.
Where we are the raw sewage goes to sewage treatment plants that have primary , secondary and tertiary process's to remove anything that would be harmful prior to the outfall pipe.
Since this is what we have here any toilet cleaning chemicals are insignificant to the treatment plant and the outfall.
I sure hope its the same in any area that you might be in.

Turbo29

Post by Turbo29 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:07 pm

The drains on the streets in the Los Angeles area marked that they go straight to the ocean are for storm water runoff. The sewage in the LA Area is all treated in wastewater plants, the largest of which is in Carson, California.

https://www.lacsd.org/wastewater/wwfacilities/jwpcp/

leeks

Post by leeks » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:43 pm

celia wrote:
smitcat wrote:
celia wrote:
samsoes wrote:

Not sure about CA, but in NYC we still have stormwater and sewage water from buildings draining to the same sewer system. It overflows untreated sewage directly into waterways every time it rains more than about 0.4 inches/day. Overflow events average once per week. There are plenty of beaches in the region that are unswimmable after heavy rains due to the raw sewage. https://www.riverkeeper.org/campaigns/s ... ation/cso/

40 million people in the US live in places where overflow events dump raw sewage into waterways:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_ ... ted_States
Last edited by leeks on Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:48 pm

iamblessed wrote:
Is this a historic first for boglehead advice?
kidding.
DW does a great job. Says use long thick gloves and a pumice stone. Is the fastest. Cleanest. No chemicals needed.

I had a bunch of apartment buildings. A long time ago there was this nasty chemical that we picked up at the plumbing/cleaning supply house. I think it was an acid. Smelled nasty. Worked well but did not get the hard deposit stains off unless I used a lot and let it sit for a long time which got expensive. Bleach whitened but did not remove deposits. So, yes, pumice stone. For the ones that were the worse and unrecoverable, I just bought a new toilet.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:32 am

leeks wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:43 pm
celia wrote:
smitcat wrote:
celia wrote:
samsoes wrote:

Not sure about CA, but in NYC we still have stormwater and sewage water from buildings draining to the same sewer system. It overflows untreated sewage directly into waterways every time it rains more than about 0.4 inches/day. Overflow events average once per week. There are plenty of beaches in the region that are unswimmable after heavy rains due to the raw sewage. https://www.riverkeeper.org/campaigns/s ... ation/cso/

40 million people in the US live in places where overflow events dump raw sewage into waterways:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_ ... ted_States
Yes - NY city is a gem.

scophreak

Post by scophreak » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:30 am

Fordguy88 wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:45 am
I go to Menard's (from Wisconsin) and use a chemical titled "Acidic Bowl Cleaner" and it removes every type of stain under the sun if you spray it into the bowl and let it soak for 10 minutes. Try finding something along those lines to use on the bowl/jet area you're trying to clean.
This is spot on. Used a similar product from Home Depot (Zep brand) that worked wonders on both of my toilets (which had MUCH more extensive staining than in your picture). They're both spotless many months later and actually flush better than ever. My guess is that the other acidic products mentioned here would work as well, but I liked the Zep acidic cleaner as it is "thick" and clings to the sides of the bowl as well.

lkt102

Post by lkt102 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:20 pm

I would recommend giving Lysol lime and rust toilet bowl cleaner a try. Just let it soak for 20 minutes and then use a brush to wipe away the residue. Oh and it is super cheap.

Topic Author
iamblessed

Post by iamblessed » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:11 am

Thanks everybody. I used the Acidic Bowl Cleaner. It got 95% of it. It would have been 100% but it is a tight space to get into. Good stuff.