For those who like travel, when did you retire and where are the most exciting places you travelled to?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
flyingaway

For those who like travel, when did you retire and where are the most exciting places you travelled to?

Post by flyingaway » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:30 pm

The title says everything.
I'm not fully retired, but travel is the thing to which I want to retire.
(Your financial situations may also help, if you don't mind).

Sandtrap

Re: For those who like travel, when did you retire and where are the most exciting places you travelled to?

Post by Sandtrap » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:45 pm

flyingaway wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:30 pm
Great question !!!!!

I am retired.
Been nowhere.
Newbie traveller "wanna be" trying to make plans.
Where are great places to travel to?
Cruise?
Plane?
Train?
Road trip?
Private tour?
Tour company?
Let's get specific. :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

WoodSpinner

Re: For those who like travel, when did you retire and where are the most exciting places you travelled to?

Post by WoodSpinner » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:51 pm

OP,

Retired in 2018. Took a trip to Australia and Tasmania and had a ball. Bought a Class B RV and put 18000 miles on it. So far a great source of happiness and experiences.

I love wildlife and photography—so trips where I can combine the two are really rewarding.

We are planning a great deal of travel during Retirement and it’s our 2nd biggest budget item (next to taxes).

Highly recommend Overseas Adventure Travel if you like a bit of adventure with your tours.

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:23 pm

I retired ~5 years ago.
In my youth (i.e., up to about age 35) I travelled a lot. Slow travel, is what they call it now. I lived in France. Twice. Lived in Germany after I got out of the Air Force. Lived in Japan. From all those locations I took frequent trips to nearby areas.

Shortly after I retired -- and after almost 30 years of being anchored by my mortgage -- I was inspired by a post on the BH forum to get back on the road and started planning a trip back to France. Since then I keep returning to France to explore different regions. Last year it was Alsace and a 2-week stay in Lyon where I did a home-stay with a family, and this year it will be the Loire River. I stay in-country for up to a month. I keep telling myself I need to get to other countries, but I don't want to give up time in France.

I'm not really into "exciting," but I also did an Amazon river cruise in Peru and a tour around the Bay of Fundy in Canada. Much of my travel is built around Road Scholar programs, but in France I include a lot of independent time. Exciting for me is recovering the language skills I had lost.

sawdust60

Post by sawdust60 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:57 pm

Our annual travel spending is $5k-$10k. Initially planned to budget for maximum out of pocket medical, and whatever not spent is available for travel the next year. So far, so good.

Never cruised until in retirement. Now we seldom travel, except when we combine it with a cruise. Strong preference for Princess.

Alaska cruise combined with land tour prior to cruise and additional travel following. prior post
A few days in Long Beach, prior to Hawaii cruise.
A few days in Copenhagen, prior to Transatlantic cruise to NYC.
British Isles cruise, with a few days prior in Southampton and several days in London following.
Southampton, Norway, Iceland, to NYC.
Ft. Lauderdale to Rome or Barcelona, sometimes the ports include Cadiz, Monte Carlo, Sardinia.
Ft. Lauderdale to Southampton (weather is cooler in April; less opportunity to walk the deck).
sometimes ports include Halifax (Nova Scotia), Dublin, La Harve/Normandy, Lisbon, Bilbao
-- After cruise, a few days in Portland, U.K. - large naval museum and day trip to Isle of Wight.
-- Another time, made arrangements to get off early and then drove around Scotland for a week.
-- Other travels in England; will probably continue to do a few days after each cruise.
New England cruise. Quebec City to NYC or Ft. Lauderdale.

fourwheelcycle

Post by fourwheelcycle » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:07 pm

Europe: Smithsonian Baltic Sea Cruise with Norway pre-trip. Many VBT bicycle trips, especially Prague to Vienna, Italian Dolomites, and Tuscan Coast. Paris, Normandy, Amsterdam self-planned trip.

Canada: Banff, Lake Louise, Jasper car trip with Medicine Lake boat trip; side visit to Emerald Lake.

US: Yosemite, Grand Tetons, Yellowstone, Glacier, Grand Canyon South Rim/Phantom Ranch/North Rim, Sedona, Moab, Mesa Verde, Antelope Canyon, Canyon De Chelley, Santa Fe, Gettysburg, Acadia (especially Beehive hike/climb and the Carriage Roads for bicycling), HAL Glacier Bay Cruise.

Costa Rica: Manuel Antonio, Monteverde (Hidden Canopy Hotel), taxi-boat-taxi to Arenal.

New Zealand: South Island full loop car trip with Milford Sound boat trip and penguins in the Otago Peninsula.

Australia: Sydney, including the Zoo and bird show.

All of these trips were done in our 60s. Hope we can continue during our 70s!

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:21 pm

flyingaway wrote:
Good Q, I agree.
I'm a SCUBA diver and for two decades prior to retirement in 2013, I did 7-10 day dive trips to the Caribbean mostly.
I've continued this in retirement, with repeat visits to Bonaire, Cozumel, Curacao, the Caymans, Belize, Maui, and even Jamaica.
And I've got a dive trip to Indonesia booked for 2020.

I also do Road Trips in retirement, most recently for the entire month of March: 7600 miles from New England to Arizona, with multiple stops in between.

I also do European adventure travel group trips in retirement, mostly involving day hikes. Three so far, to southern France, to Morocco, and to northern Italy.
Two more such trips this year: to the Cotswolds part of England and to Mallorca, Spain...
Attempted new signature...

delamer

Post by delamer » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:27 pm

Semi-retired.

We were in St. Petersburg (Russia, not Florida) for two days as a cruise port.

Fascinating place, if you are interested in history.

Also recommend Rome, Italy and London, England for the same reason.

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:37 pm

The best is yet to come for most exciting, but I have enjoyed all of our travelling so far. But my favorite so far is swimming with the sharks in Moorea and snorkeling in the deep water near Tahiti, the fish were of vivid colors. Beats snorkeling in Hawaii by a mile.

Topic Author
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:56 pm

Sandtrap wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:45 pm
Great question !!!!!

I am retired.
Been nowhere.
Cruise? We only do cruise with families of friends, usually at least three families, so that we could play cards together.
Plane? At this time, I only consider overseas travels.
Train?
Road trip?
Private tour?
Tour company? I don't like tour companies, only did twice. I like the freedom to choose where I want to go and when I want to go.
OP here. I put some comments above in boldface. I myself have been to 48 countries and areas, and to all 50 U.S. states.
What I am looking for is the enhanced travel experience in retirement, for those who like to travel.
In the past few weeks, I just got information that two of my colleagues (friends) were found to have heart disease and lung cancer. I really don't know how much I can get from travel in retirement, above what I have gotten.

Topic Author
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:58 pm

delamer wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:27 pm
Semi-retired.

I guess that you do not need a visa to visit St. Petersburg. What cruise did you do?

delamer

Post by delamer » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:03 pm

flyingaway wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:58 pm
delamer wrote:
Semi-retired.

I guess that you do not need a visa to visit St. Petersburg. What cruise did you do?
No, but we had to stand in line for 40 minutes to have our passports checked by a customs officer who spoke no English.

That was fun — but worth it.

We were on Holland America on a 12 day Baltic cruise. As long as you booked a shore excursion through HAL, they took care of the visa issue.
Last edited by delamer on Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sil2017

Post by sil2017 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:18 pm

Retired almost 2 years ago-
Two to three international trips during working years but shorter ones (up to 2 to 3 weeks)
Upon retirement, spent 65 days in South East Asia and South Africa.
Following year, one month in Tanzania, Uganda, Rwanda . Hiked Mt. Kilimanjaro
Several international trips to Europe and last one was South India for one month.

Believe it or not, I have travel fatigue. I cancelled my South Korea trip for next week.

Still plan to travel on mini domestic trips. Completed a short cruise in the US, spent time in Canada and will be flying to Charleston and Chicago next month.

archer

Post by archer » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:03 pm

We retired 4 years ago, sold everything and bought a class A motor home. We spend half our time traveling and half volunteering at interesting locations. We travel slowly. A couple hundred miles down the road is someplace new. It took us two years to do the west coast.
Volunteering keeps us active and learning. We have done lighthouse tours, fish hatcheries, wild life refuges, the Balloon Fiesta, state parks... There is no end of interesting places to volunteer.
So far we have made it as far west as the Mississippi River. We love the small towns and local history. Plan to go to the Ireland next year. We have taken a couple cruises and will do more.
Went to work, married young, raised a large family and never had the opportunity to travel. We are having a blast!

AlohaJoe

Post by AlohaJoe » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:04 pm

flyingaway wrote:
FWIW, I think this is an area where one of those ubiquitous travel books is far superior to asking on a forum, just because they will tend to have more coverage, be better organised, have more details, include pictures, etc, etc. Plus they are ideal for checking out from a library (i.e. totally free), skimming for a week or two while taking down notes & inspirations, and then returning and not cluttering up your house & life.

I think the "1,001 places to see before you die" books that try to be uber-comprehensive offer too much choice, so something pared down a bit.

Some that I've read/skimmed that I thought were good examples of what I like in this style:

Destinations of Lifetime by National Geographic. Instead of organising by geography it is grouped into themes."Hand of Man", "Mountain Majesty", "Town & Country", etc. It makes it easier to find the things that excite you and see more examples of them.

Journeys of a Lifetime by National Geographic is similar but focused more on the travel per se so the themes are "Across Water", "By Rail", "In Their Footsteps" (famous pilgrimages or trails) and so on.

Lonely Planet Ultimate Travel is also pretty okay, though it veers a bit too close to "a long list of hundreds of places" style that I don't find too useful. But most entries have a "if you like this, here are some other examples of this kind of thing" that I think is useful. For instance under Machu Picchu they have 3 other "rambling ruins" as things that might interest you: Polonnaruwa in Sri Lanka, Baalbek in Lebanon, and Kolmanskop in Namibia.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:18 pm

flyingaway wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:56 pm
Sandtrap wrote:
Great question !!!!!

I am retired.
Been nowhere.
Cruise? We only do cruise with families of friends, usually at least three families, so that we could play cards together.
Train?
Road trip?
Private tour?
Tour company? I don't like tour companies, only did twice. I like the freedom to choose where I want to go and when I want to go.
OP here. I put some comments above in boldface. I myself have been to 48 countries and areas, and to all 50 U.S. states.
What I am looking for is the enhanced travel experience in retirement, for those who like to travel.
In the past few weeks, I just got information that two of my colleagues (friends) were found to have heart disease and lung cancer. I really don't know how much I can get from travel in retirement, above what I have gotten.
+++1
Absolutely what I'm looking for. Highest quality and experience over quantity.

tooluser

Post by tooluser » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:29 pm

Not retired but been lots of places. Looking forward in retirement to go to places I haven't been.

My best travel tips for anyone:

1) Starting out, you will be learning how to travel. Don't get frustrated when things don't go as expected. Learn from each experience - how to pack, getting through the administrative hurdles, how to allow the right amount of time, how to react to problems, how to experience and enjoy. You will make mistakes, or things will not go your way. Make a challenging game of getting through any down time with class and optimism. Everyone you will meet wants to interact with a cheerful, motivated person. It will not be perfect starting out, and maybe ever. Develop a system to achieve your ongoing travel goals.

2) Don't stick with a bad situation. If it sucks, get out. Spend the money, it's worth it.

3) Minimize what you need, but within reason. Lighter is faster is better, but austerity is not required. Read about what others do and need, but make your travel your own. There's a ton of advice out there that doesn't suit me, and I suspect there are others who feel the same.

4) What do you think is exciting? Write it down and make a list. Push yourself a bit, and maybe a little more after you have your sea legs. Who cares what anyone else says!?! It's okay to die doing something you love. On the other hand, know you limits. Weird is good and makes for good stories, photos, and memories.

Volkdancer

Post by Volkdancer » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:41 pm

I am at Narita airport heading back to the states after ten weeks busing from Mumbai to Chennai, Hong Kong via Shenzhen, Beijing, Shanghai, and a few smaller cities, took ferry to Osaka and then Kyoto, Nara, and Tokyo. Travel solo, with an Osprey 4400 pack, travel inexpensively, and don't schedule all stops or stays. It's not hard, go with what happens. Once you've paid to get there, you might as well stay. Gets cheaper the longer you stay, interesting phenomenon. Other than airfare, can be cheaper on the road instead of staying home. Lucked into cherry blossoms in Kyoto because of cold winter. Can't plan for that.

Whatever you do, do something. Love Lonely Planet.

Karl V

fortfun

Post by fortfun » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:47 pm

flyingaway wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:56 pm
Sandtrap wrote:
Great question !!!!!

I am retired.
Been nowhere.
Train?
Road trip?
Private tour?
Sounds like you've already done a lot. There's a good book that includes all the World Heritage sites. You should pick up a copy and see what interests you.

Watty

Post by Watty » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:08 pm

.. when did you retire....
Retired in 2015 when I was 58, pretty middle class compared to a lot of posters here so the travel budget is a factor. I started traveling more when I was in my early 50's

I usually pick where to go based on where there are good deals and we usually take one big trip a year.

I just got back from a five week trip to Australia which has been on my "to do" list for a long time but it always seemed pretty expensive. There were great deals on flights last fall(< $600 round trip) and the exchange rate is pretty good right now so in general costs seemed similar to US. It was the shoulder season so hotel rates were also good.

One time I was not able to find a good deal so we were going to do a US road/camping trip. Three weeks before my scheduled vacation Delta opened up a new route between Atlanta(where I live) and Shannon Ireland and they had great introductory rates for a limited time. I bought the tickets during lunch and then called my wife to let her know we were going to Ireland. We had discussed me still looking for a deal so I had her prior OK to jump on any that I found so it was not a total surprise to her.

Over the years we have been to many of the popular tourist areas in Europe which were enjoyable and fun but probably not what you would call exciting. One of our best trips was to Spain which surprised me. In southern Europe in the shoulder season we can usually find decent hotels for maybe $100 a night or less except in large cities. One great thing about Europe is that a modestly priced hotel can be a nice family run business, in the US a modestly priced hotel is often more like a Motel 6 or worse. We often travel without hotel reservations except for key nights when we have a flight or when we will be in an expensive big city.

One place you might consider is going to the less well known Greek Islands, the hotel prices drop dramatically in mid-September but the weather was still great when we were there. We were able to get nice mid range hotels near the beach for maybe $50(or less) a night but that was around ten years ago. We had a nice time on Naxos and Paros, Santorini was more expensive but still worth going to. You take ferries between the islands.

It was years ago but when I was in my 20's I once took the Alaska Ferries through southeast Alaska, without a car. They go many of the same areas where cruise ships go but they are a lot less expensive and you have a lot more flexibility.

Last year for something different I took a six week photography course in Montana and also drove a 2,200 roadtrip each way stopping at lots of national parks along the way. We have also taken a Road Scholar week long course and will probably take more of them when we are a bit older.

We once took a short cruise and enjoyed it but it confirmed that we are not "cruise people" which I suspected. Before you take a big cruise you might try out a short one.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:13 pm

tooluser wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:29 pm
Not retired but been lots of places. Looking forward in retirement to go to places I haven't been.

My best travel tips for anyone:

1) Starting out, you will be learning how to travel. Don't get frustrated when things don't go as expected. Learn from each experience - how to pack, getting through the administrative hurdles, how to allow the right amount of time, how to react to problems, how to experience and enjoy. You will make mistakes, or things will not go your way. Make a challenging game of getting through any down time with class and optimism. Everyone you will meet wants to interact with a cheerful, motivated person. It will not be perfect starting out, and maybe ever. Develop a system to achieve your ongoing travel goals.

2) Don't stick with a bad situation. If it sucks, get out. Spend the money, it's worth it.

3) Minimize what you need, but within reason. Lighter is faster is better, but austerity is not required. Read about what others do and need, but make your travel your own. There's a ton of advice out there that doesn't suit me, and I suspect there are others who feel the same.

4) What do you think is exciting? Write it down and make a list. Push yourself a bit, and maybe a little more after you have your sea legs. Who cares what anyone else says!?! It's okay to die doing something you love. On the other hand, know you limits. Weird is good and makes for good stories, photos, and memories.
This is terrific advice!
"Learn how to travel first". (the voice of experience).
I've done #2. Bad Air BnB. I should have just moved to a posh hotel and put it behind me and enjoyed things more.
Yes. Austerity. One absolutely has to have fuzzy pajamas to sleep well.

Thanks again!
Post more advice as you wish.
aloha
j

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:16 pm

Volkdancer wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:41 pm
I am at Narita airport heading back to the states after ten weeks busing from Mumbai to Chennai, Hong Kong via Shenzhen, Beijing, Shanghai, and a few smaller cities, took ferry to Osaka and then Kyoto, Nara, and Tokyo. Travel solo, with an Osprey 4400 pack, travel inexpensively, and don't schedule all stops or stays. It's not hard, go with what happens. Once you've paid to get there, you might as well stay. Gets cheaper the longer you stay, interesting phenomenon. Other than airfare, can be cheaper on the road instead of staying home. Lucked into cherry blossoms in Kyoto because of cold winter. Can't plan for that.

Karl V
This is terrific advice.
And, all the better if one has a large budget, . . . just in case there are "business class" and "4-5 star options" along the way. :D

I am currently planning several trips to Asia. Feel free to PM me if you have more advice!!!!!
jim :D

Topic Author
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:32 pm

archer wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:03 pm
We retired 4 years ago, sold everything and bought a class A motor home. We spend half our time traveling and half volunteering at interesting locations. We travel slowly. A couple hundred miles down the road is someplace new. It took us two years to do the west coast.
Volunteering keeps us active and learning. We have done lighthouse tours, fish hatcheries, wild life refuges, the Balloon Fiesta, state parks... There is no end of interesting places to volunteer.
So far we have made it as far west as the Mississippi River. We love the small towns and local history. Plan to go to the Ireland next year. We have taken a couple cruises and will do more.
Went to work, married young, raised a large family and never had the opportunity to travel. We are having a blast!
Do you have a plan for after your RV travel? Where do you plan for your next home? Going back to the old places with friends? Living close to your children?
We are thinking of selling our house and travel for a few years, but my wife is not willing to lose her friends in our current place.

Topic Author
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:35 pm

Watty wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:08 pm
.. when did you retire....
Retired in 2015 when I was 58, pretty middle class compared to a lot of posters here so the travel budget is a factor. I started traveling more when I was in my early 50's

I usually pick where to go based on where there are good deals and we usually take one big trip a year.

I just got back from a five week trip to Australia which has been on my "to do" list for a long time but it always seemed pretty expensive. There were great deals on flights last fall(< $600 round trip) and the exchange rate is pretty good right now so in general costs seemed similar to US. It was the shoulder season so hotel rates were also good.

One time I was not able to find a good deal so we were going to do a US road/camping trip. Three weeks before my scheduled vacation Delta opened up a new route between Atlanta(where I live) and Shannon Ireland and they had great introductory rates for a limited time. I bought the tickets during lunch and then called my wife to let her know we were going to Ireland. We had discussed me still looking for a deal so I had her prior OK to jump on any that I found so it was not a total surprise to her.

Over the years we have been to many of the popular tourist areas in Europe which were enjoyable and fun but probably not what you would call exciting. One of our best trips was to Spain which surprised me. In southern Europe in the shoulder season we can usually find decent hotels for maybe $100 a night or less except in large cities. One great thing about Europe is that a modestly priced hotel can be a nice family run business, in the US a modestly priced hotel is often more like a Motel 6 or worse. We often travel without hotel reservations except for key nights when we have a flight or when we will be in an expensive big city.

One place you might consider is going to the less well known Greek Islands, the hotel prices drop dramatically in mid-September but the weather was still great when we were there. We were able to get nice mid range hotels near the beach for maybe $50(or less) a night but that was around ten years ago. We had a nice time on Naxos and Paros, Santorini was more expensive but still worth going to. You take ferries between the islands.

It was years ago but when I was in my 20's I once took the Alaska Ferries through southeast Alaska, without a car. They go many of the same areas where cruise ships go but they are a lot less expensive and you have a lot more flexibility.

Last year for something different I took a six week photography course in Montana and also drove a 2,200 roadtrip each way stopping at lots of national parks along the way. We have also taken a Road Scholar week long course and will probably take more of them when we are a bit older.

We once took a short cruise and enjoyed it but it confirmed that we are not "cruise people" which I suspected. Before you take a big cruise you might try out a short one.
Nice tips, thanks!

btenny

Post by btenny » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:38 pm

Retired 20 years plus did lots of travel for work. Best places not most " ex iting".

Rome
Paris
Vail, Co
New Orleans
Key West
Valencia
Nashville
Lake Tahoe
Winter Olympics
Sydney
Panama Canal cruise
Niagara Falls
Washington DC
San Diego
London
NYC

Wilderness Librarian

Post by Wilderness Librarian » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:46 pm

Retired almost 3 yrs. Moved back to family house I inherited. So far no post retirement far flung or exotic destinations (there will be however). Up to now my enhanced retirement experience has been doing simple things close to home when other people aren't doing them. Some examples: hiking some of the trails I went to 30 yrs. ago; bicycling rails to trails agricultural and river roads; hot spring soaking; cross country skiing the forest service roads not so much the groomed trails; Seattle Pike Street Market during early morning & mid week.

Phineas J. Whoopee

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:56 pm

Without having retired I visited all seven continents. It wasn't the price of a bus ride, but I did it as reasonably inexpensively for what seemed like a good, or at least interesting, or at least instructive, experience as I could.

Two were on repeated business trips, one was where I was born, and the other four were on me.

East Africa was fantastic. East Asia was instructive. Australia was interesting but not poles apart from the U.S. Sorry Aussies. We former colonies are more alike than different, although you, in retrospect, seem to have the better deal: you started with the felons, and we started with the Puritans. Antarctica was different, which I partially attribute to the angle of the near-constant sunlight. If it's realistic I'd visit the latter again but costs and demand are way up from when I visited.

In Australia I learned people there do not walk around upside down. It's we in the northern hemisphere who walk around upside down. We just don't notice because we've done it our whole lives.

On the Antarctic trip one participant was 84 years old. It was his seventh continent. He fulfilled his ambition. Good.

PJW

Volkdancer

Post by Volkdancer » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:55 am

Just for fun, you might enjoy playing with the trip planner at airtreks dot com. They specialize in multidestination travel. Will not do single destination. The planner is a world map, you pick wherever you want to go or places you never thought of, rearrange in whatever order, and get an estimate range. They will not contact you until you contact them.

You may find out that it can be cheaper to go around the world, or not much more, than to go someplace and back. And when you realize that, it opens up possibilities you may never have thought of.

On the trip I am returning from now, starting with the idea of going to a nephew's wedding in China, it seemed logical to pass through India since it was on the way, and through the rest of China and Japan since it was on the way back. How could one not do it?

An idea of prices: my airfare was $2540 including trip cancellation and travel insurance. I did make my way by bus from Mumbai to Chennai, high-speed train through China, ferry to Osaka, trains to wherever in Japan. Airtreks was perfectly fine with that because that's the type of travel they are in business to accommodate.

As several others have said, let your imagination go, think of where you might want to go and then figure out how to make it happen, and avoid the habit of thinking of reasons why you shouldn't/can't go.

It is the same process as determining an asset allocation and following your policy statement.

Karl V

elcadarj

Post by elcadarj » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:30 am

Haven’t done it yet, it’s on my bucket list and I have talked with those who have: buy a used trawler yacht, do the Great Loop, sell the yacht when you finish. http://www.greatloop.org/

TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:52 am

My key factor for travel success is a lack of people at the destination I choose. Not talking backpacking in the wilderness, just getting out of urban environments to a way of life that is different than my day to day.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]

Freefun

Post by Freefun » Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:18 am

Volkdancer wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:41 pm

Karl V
+1000

Travelled extensively. The best times were the deviations and unplanned stuff.
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?

Topic Author
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:43 am

TheTimeLord wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:52 am
My key factor for travel success is a lack of people at the destination I choose. Not talking backpacking in the wilderness, just getting out of urban environments to a way of life that is different than my day to day.
I also like to visit the developing countries more than the developed countries. The most recent visit is to Colombia, which I liked very much.

Topic Author
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:57 am

Phineas J. Whoopee wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:56 pm
Without having retired I visited all seven continents. It wasn't the price of a bus ride, but I did it as reasonably inexpensively for what seemed like a good, or at least interesting, or at least instructive, experience as I could.

Two were on repeated business trips, one was where I was born, and the other four were on me.

East Africa was fantastic. East Asia was instructive. Australia was interesting but not poles apart from the U.S. Sorry Aussies. We former colonies are more alike than different, although you, in retrospect, seem to have the better deal: you started with the felons, and we started with the Puritans. Antarctica was different, which I partially attribute to the angle of the near-constant sunlight. If it's realistic I'd visit the latter again but costs and demand are way up from when I visited.

In Australia I learned people there do not walk around upside down. It's we in the northern hemisphere who walk around upside down. We just don't notice because we've done it our whole lives.

On the Antarctic trip one participant was 84 years old. It was his seventh continent. He fulfilled his ambition. Good.

PJW
Did you visit Antarctic on a cruise ship?

Phineas J. Whoopee

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:43 am

flyingaway wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:57 am
Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:56 pm

PJW
Did you visit Antarctic on a cruise ship?
It was on a passenger ship out of Ushuaia, on the southern coast of the southernmost Argentinian island of Tierra del Fuego, but I don't know it would qualify as a cruise ship. It was relatively small, although I don't recall the displacement. It could handle around 150 passengers, but was only half full on my trip. There was no casino, no floor show, and only one dining room where you took what they cooked. Entertainment was mostly a matter of the expedition leader and the naturalist giving talks and answering questions. I spent quite a lot of time out on the fore- and aft-decks, just looking at the swirling sea as we took the Drake Passage, one of the most violent bits of ocean in the world (the two thousand mile wide heavy weather area around the southern part of the globe shrinks to six hundred miles, but with little loss of energy), and the icebergs, and then the land we sailed by.

Every day, except for the Drake Passage each direction, there were at least two excursions in rubber motorboats. I went on all of them. I didn't travel so far to look at the inside of a ship.

It was the MS Andrea, on its first Antarctic voyage (so it was discounted and not full), but I didn't find a good link for it just now. It has several single cabins so I didn't have to pay a supplement. It was originally built as a Nordic fjord ferry, so was ice-hardened from the outset.

Does that answer your question?

PJW

Topic Author
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:58 am

Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:43 am
It was on a passenger ship out of Ushuaia, on the southern coast of the southernmost Argentinian island of Tierra del Fuego, but I don't know it would qualify as a cruise ship. It was relatively small, although I don't recall the displacement. It could handle around 150 passengers, but was only half full on my trip. There was no casino, no floor show, and only one dining room where you took what they cooked. Entertainment was mostly a matter of the expedition leader and the naturalist giving talks and answering questions. I spent quite a lot of time out on the fore- and aft-decks, just looking at the swirling sea as we took the Drake Passage, one of the most violent bits of ocean in the world (the two thousand mile wide heavy weather area around the southern part of the globe shrinks to six hundred miles, but with little loss of energy), and the icebergs, and then the land we sailed by.

Every day, except for the Drake Passage each direction, there were at least two excursions in rubber motorboats. I went on all of them. I didn't travel so far to look at the inside of a ship.

It was the MS Andrea, on its first Antarctic voyage (so it was discounted and not full), but I didn't find a good link for it just now. It has several single cabins so I didn't have to pay a supplement. It was originally built as a Nordic fjord ferry, so was ice-hardened from the outset.

Does that answer your question?

PJW
Yes. Thank you for the information. I have been thinking about a trip to the Antarctic in the near future. Unfortunately, my wife and several families booked a cruise in December from Santiago, Chile, go around the south America, to Buenos Aires, Argentina. It will not go to the Antarctic.

btenny

Post by btenny » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:21 am

OP. I learned in retiredment that travel can be done slow and with no schedule so it is optimized for fun and relaxation. The trip is the fun part.

I have always been a road trip guy. When I worked everything was scheduled. I never had more than 10 days off and usually only 5 days. So I was always worried about doing enough and seeing everything so we were GO GO GO every day. It was tiring but fun. We took our kids all over.

Now we take 6-8 week road trips because we can. We just load the car and go. We do not have a detail plan beyond a final destination and a small list of stuff to see along the way. We have been across the US from California to Maine and Arizona to Key West and into all the states several times. The fun in not the destination but the trip.

I have always been a vacation home guy as well. We had a ski condo when I worked but never used it for more than 5-6 days. It was fun but again we were always rushing around to fix condo stuff or ski every day or hike every day or just do stuff.

Now we have a second home we use and stay months at a time. So we can hike and bike and boat and play at a relaxed pace all summer. Plus we can set by the fire and not ski for days when it is cold and snowing and still get in 20 ski days because we have months of time. And we still have our primary home to go back to visit relatives and family.

So travel in retiredment is different and a lot of fun.

Good Luck.

THY4373

Post by THY4373 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:23 am

Not retired yet but decided to make travel my main personal priority post divorce now that I have the freedom to travel and a job with a lot of leave. I have been to 20+ countries in the last 3.5 years. While I have had many amazing experiences the ones that stick to me in those years are in no particular order:

Egypt
Cambodia
Easter Island
Japan

Gnirk

Post by Gnirk » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:42 am

We retired 12 years ago. Since then, we've visited England, France, Germany, Austria, Spain, Hungary. Some were “ land” trips where we stayed in one city for a week or two, - London, Paris, Avignon -and others were via river cruises. Also travel the US and Canada by plane, then rent a car and drive. British Columbia and Quebec Canada. The coast of Maine, DC., Virginia, New Hampshire, Nashville TN. We have another trip planned for The Provence area of France, and one to New England and Virginia this year.

We enjoy travel, but have come to really dislike air travel, and I’m sure this year’s trip to France will be DH’s last trip overseas, mostly because of developing mobility issues. ☹️

My favorite country to visit and explore is France. Although I’d love to visit Australia and New Zealand, I’m not sure I could take the really long flights.

friar1610

Post by friar1610 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:58 am

flyingaway wrote:
delamer wrote:
Semi-retired.

I've visited Russia twice on cruises. The first was a two week UniWorld river cruise Moscow to St. Petersburg. It required individual visas. Forget how much they cost ($250 each?) but they are not cheap. The advantage is that you can wander around freely without being part of a tour. We walked around areas of Moscow, St. Petersburg and several other ports when we were not on tours and found it most enjoyable.

The second was a Viking Ocean Baltic cruise that included 2 days in St. Petersburg. On cruises like this, the ship has a blanket visa that covers everyone onboard so you avoid the expense of the individual visa. The down side is that you can't leave the ship/cruise ship terminal unless you are on a group tour. Each tour requires that you go through customs. Even if you have two separate tours - one in the AM and one in the PM - you can't stay in the city for lunch between them. You have to return to the ship and go through the customs drill all over.

Obviously, the individual visa is preferable but wouldn't be worth it for only 2 days. On the other hand, not to have the individual visa for a 2-week intra-Russia tour would be far too stifling.

(I personally didn't experience any 40 minute lines as noted in another post, but that may have been because Viking carries fewer passengers. I will say the Russian customs officials were not a friendly bunch. I speak a little Russian and greeted them each time with a big smile and an appropriate greeting in Russian, but got little more than a grunt in reply.)
Friar1610

Horsefly

Post by Horsefly » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:19 pm

Retired for six years. We cruised quite a bit before retiring, and have gone on several more since then. However, I don't think cruising is the best way to see places, so I would not put them on the top of my list. Here's our favorites so far:
  • New Zealand - We spent almost four weeks driving around both islands (2300 miles driven on the left side!). It is a fascinating place with wonderful people. The sheer variety of things to see makes it my top place. I also don't really like large cities and crowds, and aside from Auckland there really are not any.
  • Australia - We just got back from a five week vacation in Australia. This was a close second to New Zealand, but that may be partly because of teh wild variety of things we did. We hiked four days on the Great Ocean Road (due to a recommendation from a BH), went on two all-day private wine tours, went snorkeling in the Great Barrier Reef, and did a 8 day Jazz cruise. Made some great new life-long friends along the way. Aussies are just as nice as Kiwis too.

friar1610

Post by friar1610 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:32 pm

We are 73/71 and have been retired for about 15 years. We've travelled a fair amount and have gone to some interesting places but have done so in a fairly conventional manner (no renting an RV in Cambodia or touring South America on a motorcycle Che style). Primarily cruises, tours or going to a big city and touring it on our own. Here's where we've been:

- Cuba (tour)
- Bergen to Barcelona (cruise). Post-cruise city stay in Barcelona.
- Ireland multiple times. Once on a tour with friends. 3 or 4 day city stays in Belfast/Dublin. Several tours on our own.
- Baltic cruise. (My second - the first was in 1974 on a destroyer; the more recent one was nicer).
- Cruise from Buenos Aires to Valparaiso, Chile
- Peru/Machu Picchu
- Buenos Aires city stay
- Amsterdam city stay
- Alaska cruise
- New Zealand tour
- Sydney city stay
- Russia river cruise
- Nova Scotia/Halifax city stay
- Costa Rica tour
- London city stay
- Danube river cruise
- Cornwall/Devon tour
- Paris city stay

We may be starting to slow down a tiny bit but both hope travel can continue quite a few more years. We have found each of these places/tours/cruises exciting.
Friar1610

Phineas J. Whoopee

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:54 pm

flyingaway wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:58 am
Yes. Thank you for the information. I have been thinking about a trip to the Antarctic in the near future. Unfortunately, my wife and several families booked a cruise in December from Santiago, Chile, go around the south America, to Buenos Aires, Argentina. It will not go to the Antarctic.
If it's daylight be sure to view Cape Horn. It was misty and rainy, and my photos didn't come out very well, but at least I observed it. May as well do what you can with what you have.

PJW

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:00 pm

Gnirk wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:42 am
We retired 12 years ago. Since then, we've visited England, France, Germany, Austria, Spain, Hungary. Some were “ land” trips where we stayed in one city for a week or two, - London, Paris, Avignon -and others were via river cruises. Also travel the US and Canada by plane, then rent a car and drive. British Columbia and Quebec Canada. The coast of Maine, DC., Virginia, New Hampshire, Nashville TN. We have another trip planned for The Provence area of France, and one to New England and Virginia this year.

We enjoy travel, but have come to really dislike air travel, and I’m sure this year’s trip to France will be DH’s last trip overseas, mostly because of developing mobility issues. ☹️

My favorite country to visit and explore is France. Although I’d love to visit Australia and New Zealand, I’m not sure I could take the really long flights.
I’m thinking of the 6 hours to my destination trip when I’m older. For example to get to New Zealand, I would fly to Hawaii from LAX, then to Tahiti, then to New Zealand. I thinks it’s much shorter flight but longer traveling time. Cost more money though.

oxothuk

Post by oxothuk » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:16 pm

DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:00 pm
I’m thinking of the 6 hours to my destination trip when I’m older. For example to get to New Zealand, I would fly to Hawaii from LAX, then to Tahiti, then to New Zealand. I thinks it’s much shorter flight but longer traveling time. Cost more money though.
My wife and I took ANZ from Honolulu to Auckland a couple of years ago, and found that to be a very comfortable flight. About 8 hours flight time, but all in daylight. And if you go during their summer season, it's only one time zone different so no real jet lag to deal with.

bernoulli

Post by bernoulli » Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:00 pm

Not retired but love to travel. I think I liked every city I visited, so I think everything is "the most exciting" including domestic destinations like Yellowstone and Big Bend, all great.

If you are new to traveling, especially international travel, might I suggest that you start with English speaking countries like England, Ireland, New Zealand, Australia, etc. Starting with developed countries is also easier because everything is more familiar and organized, Western Europe and Japan are good choices.

We have taken some tours (although we mostly travel independently). G-Tour to India was fabulous. We had a layover in Dubai and went to Oman as a detour. We also took an alumni group tour to Morocco - not a country where you need to follow a tour group, easy and safe to get around.

Domestic travel might be a good way to practice independent traveling before going international. New York City and DC are easy and convenient with public transportation. A road trip along the California coast line is also something worth doing.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:09 pm

DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:00 pm
Gnirk wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:42 am

Same here.
Though on a recent "experiment" trip to Hawaii, I flew First Class and the "lay flat seat" really helped my lousy spine.
Not sure about flights longer than 6 hours but that really puts a cramp into places that are available to travel.
Will have to get creative.
Perhaps the "cruises" are a lot better in this respect.

halfnine

Post by halfnine » Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:20 pm

Not retired.

OP, I share your view on cruises. Great for multi-family or multi-generational travel.

Tour Groups. I think there is a time and place for them. For instance, I've taken 2-3 week travel tours in both China and India. I think it is a great way to experience the "touristy" parts of the country. Kind of the philosophy of "if you can't beat them, join them". I then continued to spend a few more months in both of those countries to travel independently and off the beaten track.

I'll add another thought as well. Consider festivals. I've spent most of my adult life now either traveling or living abroad and while I don't have much motivation to travel that much anymore there are still many festivals all over the world that I would like to partake in. There is almost a festival happening nearly every day somewhere in the world.

btenny

Post by btenny » Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:37 pm

I took Norweigen Air from Oakland to London in 2017. Very nice. Rode business class which is sort of recliner chairs at slight price increase. Was a 7.5 hour flight. Key was 787 Dream liner plane which is really quiet and nice so less jet lag. They are expanding to other airports and destinations so I highly recommend.

Stay away from Ryan air. They are terrible and bad. Seats are so tight your knees hit seat in front of you. Plus seats do not recline or move and tray table hit your stomach if put down. I also thought they broke safety rules and very poor landing by pilot. Just bad airline.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:45 pm

btenny wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:37 pm
I took Norweigen Air from Oakland to London in 2017. Very nice. Rode business class which is sort of recliner chairs at slight price increase. Was a 7.5 hour flight. Key was 787 Dream liner plane which is really quiet and nice so less jet lag. They are expanding to other airports and destinations so I highly recommend.

Stay away from Ryan air. They are terrible and bad. Seats are so tight your knees hit seat in front of you. Plus seats do not recline or move and tray table hit your stomach if put down. I also thought they broke safety rules and very poor landing by pilot. Just bad airline.
Funny.....last March Norwegian Air cancelled my JFK-London flight for mechanical reasons, and their gate support on rebooking was comical.

OTOH my Ryan Air RT London-Bergerac was fine. Sure the seats are cramped, but on those short flights the very low price more than makes up for the lack of recline.

delamer

Post by delamer » Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:01 pm

friar1610 wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:58 am
flyingaway wrote:
delamer wrote:
Semi-retired.

(I personally didn't experience any 40 minute lines as noted in another post, but that may have been because Viking carries fewer passengers. I will say the Russian customs officials were not a friendly bunch. I speak a little Russian and greeted them each time with a big smile and an appropriate greeting in Russian, but got little more than a grunt in reply.)
Based on our limited two day experience, I wouldn’t recommend Russia — or at least St. Petersburg — if you want to go somewhere and interact with the natives. Not a friendly bunch.

Although our tour guides were very nice and very well informed.