How far would you commute?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Hug401k

How far would you commute?

Post by Hug401k » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:15 pm

For the past 5 years I've worked for a megacorp from home. I accepted this role because it offered work from home option. Over 2000 people use this option. The company has now announced that they are removing the Work from Home option and everyone must commute to an office (which will likely be an open office format). My assigned office is an hour away (though 24 miles- Metro Boston) Now I have to decide between a severance package or a commute. Prior to this, I spent 4 years as a SAHM, and prior to that, full time in an office, but a 7 mile commute. We are mid

For some context, my husband has a 1:15 commute into Boston 3 days a week. He also travels once or twice a month. His job is demanding. I travel 3x a year or so. My job is not particularly demanding. Our kids are 13 and 11 and pretty busy with sports, etc. We could use our emergency fund to survive just fine for a year or so with the severance. Up until now, we have only been spending about 30% of my pay with the rest going into some sort of savings vehicle.

How far do you consider a "doable" commute? What if it wasn't every day? What if your spouse already had a long commute? I've always thought that both spouses having long commutes plus kids was a recipe for exhaustion, but plenty of people do it.

Foredeck

Re: How far would you commute?

Post by Foredeck » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:20 pm

No I wouldn't do that. It would have a big impact on my health and well-being. I'd take the severance.

The most I'd do for a commute is 30 minutes. I get to work from home three days a week and the drive in takes about 20 minutes.
I also have the option for taking mass transit or ride a bike. Distance is about 16 miles round trip.

mancich

Post by mancich » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:22 pm

I guess it comes down to what a person can get used to. Personally, an hour each way in heavy traffic would get old quickly. I used to do 50 minutes each way, but the traffic moved (now i work home and love it). You have to factor in quality of life, wear and tear on your car, effect on your kids/home life, etc. Maybe do it for now, see how it goes, and if it looks untenable for the longer term, start looking for a new job that is closer to home or offers a WFH option.

Good luck!

vu8

Post by vu8 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:23 pm

24 miles ain't nothing, I had to travel 55 miles 1 way for a 13 dollars an hour job. I quit that job shortly after as it's incredibly repetitive and took a toll on me yet I was alright with the commute. I start driving at 3 pm and get there at 1600. Start driving back at 0030 and arrive home at 0130. Just make you sure you have a well functioning vehicle, good music to drive with, use the restroom beforehand and avoid traffic jams.

tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:34 pm

When I lived outside of NYC I had various long commutes.

-when I worked in the city I routinely took mass transit for upwards of 1 1/2 hrs each way, 5 days a week
-one job I had in the northern suburbs that required driving 40-50 miles each way, 5 days a week. This ultimately burned both me and my car out.

Depending where you live in the country, good opportunities may require heavy commuting.....people do it.
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

GmanJeff

Post by GmanJeff » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:36 pm

I'd aim for 30 minutes or less; longer commutes really are wearing. Would there be a possibility of commuting during hours when traffic would be lighter, say starting very early and returning home in the mid-afternoon?

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:15 pm

My rule is 3 miles. It is a hard rule that has served me well.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

simplesimon

Post by simplesimon » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:23 pm

Is the company in Boston? Would you be able to commute with your husband on the days he goes in?

My commute downtown is ~60 minutes door-to-door.

delamer

Post by delamer » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:27 pm

If you did a trial run with the new commute, would you lose your severance eligibility immediately?

What are your options for a decent job closer to home?

There was a time when my husband and I both had hour-long commutes. It made me very uncomfortable that both of us were so far from the kids in the event of an emergency.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:33 pm

My limit when I drove was 30 minutes. Beyond that my quality of life was impacted, and I would go find another job.

My limit when I took transit was longer, but it usually included a nice walk, and i wasn’t the one fighting traffic.

Hedonic adaptation works both ways, and there are a lot of things, both positive and negative, that we can adjust to. We can adapt to living in a smaller house, or driving a smaller car. Studies have shown that a bad commute isn’t one of those things, however, because each commute is bad in its own unique way, so we never adjust.

CommitmentDevice

Post by CommitmentDevice » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:36 pm

This is ultimately a personal decision.

Here is some grist to add to your discernment mill:
  • Commuting has costs in terms of health, time and fuel/vehicle depreciation
  • I love podcasts and audio books. They make commuting less onerous
  • Do you love your job? Your manager? What is your opportunity cost?
  • I've worked from home and worked in an office and I must say that I prefer working with people around. I'm not particularly extroverted but I find that people around helps me stay focused on work when I'm supposed to be working
  • My optimal situation is a 25min bicycle commute 4 days a week and working from home 1 day a week
Best of luck with your decision!

GAAP

Post by GAAP » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:38 pm

It's not the distance as much as the time. 24 miles in some places is 24 minutes or less. From what I remember of Boston traffic, it would be a lot more.

I refused jobs that required additional commute without additional pay. From my perspective that 24 miles is really 48 miles round trip x your hourly pay rate (as overtime), plus the additional mileage on the vehicle at IRS rates, plus any additional parking or tolls -- and that's just the breakeven point. Additional costs for childcare would come into play, and then there's the whole bit about trying to price the intangibles like family time, after-school activities, etc.
“Adapt what is useful, reject what is useless, and add what is specifically your own.” ― Bruce Lee

Topic Author
Hug401k

Post by Hug401k » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:39 pm

simplesimon wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:23 pm
Is the company in Boston? Would you be able to commute with your husband on the days he goes in?

My commute downtown is ~60 minutes door-to-door.
My office would be in another metro town, so no public transportation or shared commute.

Topic Author
Hug401k

Post by Hug401k » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:41 pm

GAAP wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:38 pm
It's not the distance as much as the time. 24 miles in some places is 24 minutes or less. From what I remember of Boston traffic, it would be a lot more.

I refused jobs that required additional commute without additional pay. From my perspective that 24 miles is really 48 miles round trip x your hourly pay rate (as overtime), plus the additional mileage on the vehicle at IRS rates, plus any additional parking or tolls -- and that's just the breakeven point. Additional costs for childcare would come into play, and then there's the whole bit about trying to price the intangibles like family time, after-school activities, etc.
Yes, it's 24 miles and an hour commute (sometimes more). It sounds odd if you haven't seen Boston traffic, but normal if you have.

Topic Author
Hug401k

Post by Hug401k » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:41 pm

duplicate
Last edited by Hug401k on Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic Author
Hug401k

Post by Hug401k » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:42 pm

GAAP wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:38 pm

Yes, it's 24 miles and an hour commute (sometimes more). It sounds odd if you haven't seen Boston traffic, but normal if you have. And you are right to assume no additional pay is being offered and I will be traveling a toll road (Mass Pike).
Last edited by Hug401k on Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:42 pm

In a previous life I commuted up to 4hrs a day, for 1/4th the compensation I currently receive. Today, it would take a serious opportunity (at least double my current compensation) to get me to even consider commuting at all. Outside my family, the single greatest factor in my quality of life is my 7min walk to work.

Take the severance.

btenny

Post by btenny » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:43 pm

I think 30 minutes is sort of ok. Have you ask why your job performance was OK for years when you worked at home versus requiring it be done in office now? So tell them to assign you to closer office (3 miles).

Or is this a riff in disguise? Is there enough work? Company reorg?

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:44 pm

If it’s not for the Great Recession, it would be 30 minutes to 1 hour, door to door, in rush hour traffic.
Last edited by DrGoogle2017 on Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mitchell777

Post by Mitchell777 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:44 pm

For me it was not as much about the distance as about the time, stress, and the danger of the commute. It took my 45 to 60 minutes each way (went faster and safer as soon as the schools closed in Spring) with what for me was a lot of traffic vs where I live. It really wore me down. When I got approval to work from home two days a week, I thought I died and went to heaven. What a difference in my week and my life. It's a tough call. Everyone holds up a bit differently with a long drive. Sometimes it goes OK and then another stressor comes into your life and it's a bigger deal

greg24

Post by greg24 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:45 pm

Life is too short for a long commute.

Kids 11 and 13? They'll be out of the house before you know it. Don't spend their last few years trapped in a car.
Last edited by greg24 on Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Starfish

Post by Starfish » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:45 pm

I commute 1h each way, +/-. I did it for many years, more than 10.
For a while I used to commute with a friend. That was pretty good.
But even now, alone, I listen to podcasts (mostly), radio, music, audiobooks etc. It is not horrible.
It does have an effect on the time I spend at home, with my family, especially with my kid.

GAAP

Post by GAAP » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:46 pm

Hug401k wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:42 pm
Yes, it's 24 miles and an hour commute (sometimes more). It sounds odd if you haven't seen Boston traffic, but normal if you have. And you are right to assume no additional pay is being offered and I will be traveling a toll road (Mass Pike).
I used to commute in the Bay Area -- sounds normal to nice to me...

Regardless, that's time you aren't spending now and that deserves compensation, since it's an employer-demanded change in work conditions.

I would look elsewhere -- my guess is that if you stay, you'll end up looking elsewhere fairly soon anyway.
“Adapt what is useful, reject what is useless, and add what is specifically your own.” ― Bruce Lee

Topic Author
Hug401k

Post by Hug401k » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:47 pm

btenny wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:43 pm
I think 30 minutes is sort of ok. Have you ask why your job performance was OK for years when you worked at home versus requiring it be done in office now? So tell them to assign you to closer office (3 miles).

Oh it's most definitely a RIF in disguise. Already a reorg and a new leader and I'm expecting more after they figure out how many leave. This is impacting 2200 people. Sadly, 24 miles is a 1 hour or more drive in Boston traffic. Unfortunately, this is the closest office to me.

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:58 pm

30 minutes is about my limit. I once did a 70 mile commute, one hour and 20 minutes each way and it really wore me out. I’d probably take the severance if you think your job prospects are decent.

p.s. I’d rather do a 60 mile drive in a hour than a 24 mile drive. All the traffic adds to the overall fatigue. I recently travelled to Chicago for a one day meeting downtown. Hotels downtown were $800 a night for some reason so we just stayed by the airport (O’Hare) and took a cab downtown. I can’t imagine having to do that drive every day.
Last edited by Kenkat on Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DXG1987

Post by DXG1987 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:59 pm

One thing that has been missing from this discussion is the likelihood of you finding a job with a better commute if you decide to take the severance.

Depending on your exact whereabouts near Boston finding a new position closer to your home could be difficult depending on how specialized your skill-set is. If your job is relatively common, then taking the severance and looking for a new position sounds preferable. However, if you are in a relatively specialized position finding a comparable position would be more difficult making the option of leaving less optimal.

As an aside, I used to drive 55 miles each way to the office (1.5 hours or so). I did this for about a year. It wasn't great, but it's what I had to do.

teamDE

Post by teamDE » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:01 pm

24miles takes a heck of a lot longer than an hour if you're going through Boston. I work near Alewife and it takes me an hour to get to say the Aquarium (8miles) if i go downtown after work. Heck, it takes 35minutes to get to Kendall Square (4.5m).

My commute is 35-55minutes from Alewife area up to Melrose/Wakefield area (10miles) and its not too bad. It's longer on Mondays, shorter on Fridays. There are days when my podcast isn't over and i sit in the driveway at home for 5min. :mrgreen:

I don't think an hour in a metro area is crazy. It sucks, but that's life in a metro area.

btenny

Post by btenny » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:02 pm

OK I get it now. New leader got some consultants to tell him to cut staff and decided to force new culture and cut staff in one motion. So they do not care who quits or complains. They want control over you and fewer people.

So start looking for a new job now. Even if you take the job and commute you may get riffed if not enough people quit. They really want people to quit so they do not have to pay unemployment or big severence. Have you counted desk and stuff in new location? How many do they want to cut?

How many years total do you have with the company? Do you get medical or other good benefits from the job? Any side benefits to staying at the job? Like the work? Like some special customers? Other?

Cycle

Post by Cycle » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:02 pm

I manage 20 minutes biking + 1-5 minutes waiting + 20 minutes on an express bus now.

I've had as bad as 1:15 drive, or 1hr train + 10min shuttle.

My upper limit would probably be a 30 minute drive or 7 mile bike ride or 1hr train ride. If I had a self driving car, I could do 1 HR drive.

Ideally though, 1 mile walk to the office. Problem is I can't find a job that's not at a megacorp built under generous tax subsidies in the suburbs, at least not without taking a 30k pay cut.
Never look back unless you are planning to go that way

jharkin

Post by jharkin » Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:06 pm

I decided to finally leave my last job when they decided to move the office from Rt128 to the Boston Seaport and eliminate telecommuting. I had been doing 40 min each way with WFH flexibility but would face 90min+ with mandatory commute.

Ended up finding a new gig 15min from home and have never been happier. People at the old place continue to jump ship in droves...
Last edited by jharkin on Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mrspock

Post by mrspock » Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:31 pm

I commute 50min each way... for the last 5 years. Now for me, I’m near the ocean in a beach town, so that’s the huge reason I’m willing to do this. You just can’t bet this place on weekends and evenings vs your average soul sucking suburb or city.

If the option was an hour drive from a suburb, it would be a harder call. You really have to balance everything (impact on retirement, free time, housing costs, family life etc), and make a call.

FWIW you (probably?) will get used to the commute, and maybe even enjoy it.

uberdoc

Post by uberdoc » Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:43 pm

30 mins is my limit. Just moved to a new place two blocks away from my hospital. Couldn’t be better. My 2nd OR case is delayed- no problem. I can go home. Call me when patient is ready to go in. Also taking in house paid calls have a completely different meaning now.

DonIce

Post by DonIce » Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:47 pm

30 minutes absolute max. Preferably under 10 minutes, though. Life is too short to waste time commuting. Although if you commute by foot or bike a slightly longer commute (within the 30 minute max) is ok as it also serves as exercise.

Freefun

Post by Freefun » Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:55 pm

For me it's about time. In "Blue Zone" cities described by Dan Buettner, short commutes are direct contributors to happiness (I think the cutoff is 20 minutes). A quick blurb on commute time and other "happiness contributors" :

https://www.npr.org/2011/10/19/14151446 ... ve-happily
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?

squirm

Post by squirm » Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:58 pm

You guys are light weights. We do 55 mile commutes one way. We come home to scenic, rural area though. Totally worth it.

DVMResident

Post by DVMResident » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:01 pm

What's the severance look like?

Do you want to keep this job? Factors: the importance of income to the family, benefits, career satisfaction, career growth opportunities, how easy the job is to replace, etc.

Personally, 1 hour each way is about my limit, but coupled with a spouse doing 1:15 hour and 2 kids, it's very tough. I would only stick in there is the job had something truly important over the next 2~3 years (e.g. high pay, niche field important to my long-term, etc.); beyond that is too long. It might be a good time to take the severance (second half of the year is all taxed at the highest margin anyway) and enjoy the summer with the kids.
Last edited by DVMResident on Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DVMResident

Post by DVMResident » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:03 pm

squirm wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:58 pm
You guys are light weights. We do 55 mile commutes one way. We come home to scenic, rural area though. Totally worth it.
Commute time the primary factor. Distance alone tells you very little.

AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:04 pm

I determined several years ago that I simply refuse to commute. If I can’t work from my laptop at home/hotel/RV park, then I don’t want the “job” (I’m self-employed).

I haven’t met face to face with a client in 7 years.

On the flip side, I travel all over the country once a month for several days, about 7 months out of the year, to speak at conferences. This I enjoy.
“Life doesn’t come with a warranty.” -Michael LeBoeuf

squirm

Post by squirm » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:06 pm

DVMResident wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:03 pm
squirm wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:58 pm
Commute time the primary factor. Distance alone tells you very little.
Typical commute traffic, mix in some stop and go. Nothing to enjoy until your out of the metro crap.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:08 pm

For OP: Is this commute Mon-Fri every week or is there still a chance you'd be able to telework from home some days of the week? I'd heard that some large employers were starting to back off from full time "work from home" programs but that's a little different than 1 or 2 days per week of telework. The commute would be more palatable to me if it was not every day but it still may not work with your kids schedules.

Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:12 pm

It depends on the particulars of the exact situation. The higher the pay, the longer I’d be willing to commute, but only up to a point. Also, the amount of days and hours worked matters. All things being equal, commuting is terrible and should be avoided. However, all things are usually not equal.

Watty

Post by Watty » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:15 pm

Hug401k wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:15 pm
Now I have to decide between a severance package or a commute.
The big question is how much the severance is and what your other job options are.

You also have to consider how variable your commute will be. If it is an hour each way on a good day there will also be days when it is not so good, bad, and and the occasional commute from hell so it may take a lot longer than an hour some days.

It may also get worse in the future. When I took my last job my commute was pretty consistently about 30 minutes but by the time I retired about 12 years later it was 45 minutes on a good day but there were also a lot more bad commute days. The variability can be a problem since if you need to be at work or home at a set time you may need to leave earlier just in case it is a bad commute day.

In addition to your time don't underestimate the other commuting costs. In addition to things like gas and wear and tear on your car you may find that your other costs also go up since you will not have so much time to do things like shopping to get the best prices and you may buy more take out food. Be sure to also look at the tax impact since with the commuting costs and taxes you might clear less that 50% of your gross pay.

It may also not be good for your health since if you are driving two extra hours a day you might not have a lot of time for exercise. Driving that much would also increase the chance of you being hurt in a car accident.
Hug401k wrote:
Our kids are 13 and 11 and pretty busy with sports, etc.
Just getting into the sex, drugs, and rock & roll years. A long commute could leave them with a lot more unsupervised time.

SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:34 pm

Take the $, enjoy life. They'll probably try and rehire you as a telecommuter when a new round of consultants comes in.

BogleFanGal

Post by BogleFanGal » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:41 pm

stoptothink wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:42 pm
In a previous life I commuted up to 4hrs a day, for 1/4th the compensation I currently receive. Today, it would take a serious opportunity (at least double my current compensation) to get me to even consider commuting at all.
Yup. It's amazing what one can put up with, if required. The only decent paying jobs during my earlier career years were all far away - there were no corp or mid sized companies anywhere in my area and I couldn't move. The commutes were grueling and I somehow did them for many years. I didn't have a choice if I wanted to gain the right experience to progress. Once I stopped, I said never again.

Now I work from home and would never commute again - not at ANY price.

brianH

Post by brianH » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:02 pm

Are they flexible with start/end times? It sounds like they may not be, given the sudden rule shift. In some areas, avoiding the 7:30-8:30AM, and corresponding 4:30-5:30PM blocks can make a huge difference. Around Philly, the later block seems to work better (e.g. work 10-6), because those that commute farther tend to get an early start and push the traffic sooner and sooner.

I do about a 45-50, but I work from home 3 days a week. That would be about the max I could take, and on weeks when I have to be in on 2 consecutive days, I definitely feel it.

Cycle

Post by Cycle » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:05 pm

livesoft wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:15 pm
My rule is 3 miles. It is a hard rule that has served me well.
Hypothetically, if during the accumulation phase of your career, you had the following options:
1) 3 mile bike/drive to work - comp 150k
2) 3 mile bike/drive to express bus (17 minute bus ride, no stops) - comp 170k

which would you pick, assume you can't move 3 miles from job in option 2 due to spouses job.

i recently chose option 2, but there were other factors involved, mainly option 1 seemed like it would be 50+ hrs a week of work.

Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:10 pm

Hug401k wrote:
For the past 5 years I've worked for a megacorp from home. I accepted this role because it offered work from home option. Over 2000 people use this option. The company has now announced that they are removing the Work from Home option and everyone must commute to an office (which will likely be an open office format). My assigned office is an hour away (though 24 miles- Metro Boston) Now I have to decide between a severance package or a commute. Prior to this, I spent 4 years as a SAHM, and prior to that, full time in an office, but a 7 mile commute. We are mid

For some context, my husband has a 1:15 commute into Boston 3 days a week. He also travels once or twice a month. His job is demanding. I travel 3x a year or so. My job is not particularly demanding. Our kids are 13 and 11 and pretty busy with sports, etc. We could use our emergency fund to survive just fine for a year or so with the severance. Up until now, we have only been spending about 30% of my pay with the rest going into some sort of savings vehicle.

How far do you consider a "doable" commute? What if it wasn't every day? What if your spouse already had a long commute? I've always thought that both spouses having long commutes plus kids was a recipe for exhaustion, but plenty of people do it.
I know your area well and the traffic is terrible. Freeways are stopped for no reason. Distance mean nothing. This is not a life that I will live.

I would tell the company that I will only work remote. If you are highly valued by your manager, exceptions will be made.

techrover

Post by techrover » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:28 pm

I too sense this policy change is to shake things up. Figure out your severance package. Figure out how ugly/bearable the commute can be - factor in few options like : commuter pools, uber pools, non-peak commute hours.
Sometimes we all tend to overthink and we survive most of the times once we try something out. And have some comfort knowing that self-driving cars are around the corner...Uber just spun off autonomous car business with $1B funding.

Cycle

Post by Cycle » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:29 pm

btenny wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:43 pm

my megacorp is having firings next week. i think its a riff in disguise.

For most people, working from home increases productivity (not everyone), but decreases peoples enjoyment of their job (lack of social aspect). from what i gathered from a freakanomics podcast.

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:31 pm

Hug401k wrote:
For some context, my husband has a 1:15 commute into Boston 3 days a week.
I vowed that I would never commute to Boston. I made it through my entire career keeping that vow.
How far do you consider a "doable" commute?
I commuted to Cambridge for two different jobs. It was a 50-60 minute commute, depending on traffic.
For the first job, I carpooled with some friends most days. I actually enjoyed it a lot.
For the second job, I was a bit older, no carpooling, and it was the best job I ever had - so I tolerated the commute.
What if it wasn't every day?
For me it would be about the same.
My last job before I retired was expecting me to go to New York about once per month. There was no way I was willing to do that at that point in my life, so it sort of helped me start planning my retirement.
What if your spouse already had a long commute? I've always thought that both spouses having long commutes plus kids was a recipe for exhaustion, but plenty of people do it.
I never felt that the length of the commute was the biggest factor in that context. It's more important when you get home, and how that works with the kids.

In some of my longer commutes, I was able to get into the office early and get home at a reasonable time even with a fairly long commute. That worked for my family.

Reading between the lines, it appears that you don't really want the long commute. You've been either staying at home or working from home the last 9 years, so of course the thought of any commute would be worrisome. Maybe they would let you try it and see if it worked out before making your final decision? What are your chances of finding a different job with a shorter commute or even working from home? If the chances are reasonable, then take the severance, find a new job, and enjoy the windfall.