Priority Express 1-Day might in effect by a 2-Day service?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
InvisibleAerobar

Priority Express 1-Day might in effect by a 2-Day service?

Post by InvisibleAerobar » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:37 pm

I needed to send in an application fee to an out-of-town rental management company that doesn't accept credit card or paypal (or any other electronic payment). In the past I relied on FedEx, but the rate was a bit steep (~$45), so I checked USPS. As it was cheaper by $15, I went with USPS (n.b., I believe USPS contracts out its express service with FedEx). My shipping label says 1-Day, and I even paid an extra $5.00, so that it would arrive before 10:30 a.m. local time; total cost is $30.50. Now imagine my surprise when I check the status, and I'm being told that I'm actually paying for Priority Mail Express 2-Day.

I should note that actual FedEx 2-Day a.m. delivery would actually be a few dollars cheaper at $25.00. So there would have been no way for me to pick this supposedly 1-Day product, had I been fully apprised of the facts...

Now, I'm holding out for that it may be a "typo" and that it would be delivered tomorrow, but if it isn't, what recourse do I have? Needless to say, I'm a bit miffed, and would be even more so if they do in fact turn it into a 2-Day shipment...

ETA: I understand that it's hard for the Post Office to deliver (literally and figuratively) the 1-Day service before tax day and around Christmas, but this is neither.

MP123

Re: Priority Express 1-Day might in effect by a 2-Day service?

Post by MP123 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:18 pm

I don't have an answer but the FedEx service is usually called "overnight" or "next day". A "1 day" service sounds a little ambiguous. Is that one day in between or a total of one day or what? Of course much depends on the dropoff time too.

rgs92

Post by rgs92 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:22 pm

I have used UPS next-day-air or next-day-air-saver with fine results every time. Good tracking too.

Go online and you will see the expected delivery time (barring rare events like weather or train derailments, but since it's air travel, I guess the latter won't happen; a UPS 3-day had a derailment once for me).

Anyway, UPS has worked fine for me for next-day delivery of documents.
Last edited by rgs92 on Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GreenGrowTheDollars

Post by GreenGrowTheDollars » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:46 pm

USPS "overnight" service depends on the origin and destination zip codes. Some pairs are defined as two-day service even though you're charged the overnight price.

FWIW -- out of maybe a dozen Express Mail envelopes I sent when my folks lived on a North Carolina barrier island, maybe three or four arrived in two days. The rest were 1-3 days later than that. I got a bunch of refunds from the PO for failure to meet their service commitments.

Topic Author
InvisibleAerobar

Post by InvisibleAerobar » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:07 pm

GreenGrowTheDollars wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:46 pm
USPS "overnight" service depends on the origin and destination zip codes. Some pairs are defined as two-day service even though you're charged the overnight price.

FWIW -- out of maybe a dozen Express Mail envelopes I sent when my folks lived on a North Carolina barrier island, maybe three or four arrived in two days. The rest were 1-3 days later than that. I got a bunch of refunds from the PO for failure to meet their service commitments.
how does one go about obtaining the refund?

On the bottom of my postage/receipt, it reads: "USPS Employee: For service failure refunds, follow standard refund procedures."
I guess I should take if to the local Post Office then?

Also, suggestions for squaring this with the rental management company? I'd like to have my application be the first in line to be approved. Though I have sent a copy of the postage paid (with promised delivery time) to the company, I'm not sure if I'd be accorded my spot in the queue

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:19 pm

It doesn't help you, but sometimes 3-day service gets the package there the next day. I have to say that I've been pleasantly surprised by how fast things can be. And with more or less near-real-time tracking, I can only think of all the postal employees in the pipeline working at all hours to have things appear at my doorstep. The interstates must be full of USPS trucks at night. I can see that they are not trying to delay any mail at all, but seem to be working to the best of their infrastructure to get things delivered as fast as possible.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

GreenGrowTheDollars

Post by GreenGrowTheDollars » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:24 pm

InvisibleAerobar wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:07 pm
Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:46 pm

how does one go about obtaining the refund?

On the bottom of my postage/receipt, it reads: "USPS Employee: For service failure refunds, follow standard refund procedures."
I guess I should take if to the local Post Office then?

Also, suggestions for squaring this with the rental management company? I'd like to have my application be the first in line to be approved. Though I have sent a copy of the postage paid (with promised delivery time) to the company, I'm not sure if I'd be accorded my spot in the queue
I just had to take my copy of the receipt to the PO, they checked on the delivery vs. the commitment time, and processed a refund.

ReadyOrNot

Post by ReadyOrNot » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:47 am

If the Post Office tells you it will take 2 days when you mail it, that is all you get for your money. I found out when mailing a proposal to a federal government address that a lot of ordinary zip codes take 2 days.

Post by 123 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:51 am

If you're mailing something soon Good Friday as well as Easter Sunday may impact the speed of service since some businesses and services adjust operating hours and service commitments due to holiday schedules. Some holidays have more impact in some communities and locations than others.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

Topic Author
InvisibleAerobar

Post by InvisibleAerobar » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:17 am

update: it actually did arrive on time, after all.

I'm glad that it all worked out in the end, especially as the rental unit has attracted a lot of interest, and having the enclosed check delivered on time essentially allowed me to be first in line. Nonetheless, I'm a bit befuddled why USPS indicated the change to 2-Day on their tracking system yesterday. This sort of under-promising and over-delivering may be inconsequential with non-urgent matters, but it felt like a poorly conceived joke. For a whole 12 hours (until 9 a.m. EST), there was no update on package movement.

I think I will continue to use them in the future, but with my eyes wider open. One interesting thing to note is that apparently both USPS and FedEx charges a flat rate on long distance overnight deliveries: $30 for the former for trans-continental envelopes, and $50 for the latter
livesoft wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:19 pm
It doesn't help you, but sometimes 3-day service gets the package there the next day. I have to say that I've been pleasantly surprised by how fast things can be. And with more or less near-real-time tracking, I can only think of all the postal employees in the pipeline working at all hours to have things appear at my doorstep. The interstates must be full of USPS trucks at night. I can see that they are not trying to delay any mail at all, but seem to be working to the best of their infrastructure to get things delivered as fast as possible.
and usually, i'm quite sympathetic to USPS, but it was a bit frustrating
Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:24 pm
I just had to take my copy of the receipt to the PO, they checked on the delivery vs. the commitment time, and processed a refund.
understood; thank you

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:27 am

InvisibleAerobar wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:17 am
update: it actually did arrive on time, after all.
There you go.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.