I give up on discount movie apps....

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
krafty81

I give up on discount movie apps....

Post by krafty81 »

So I was an early guy with Movie Pass. For a few months it was great - 3 movies per month at my favorite theater. Then MP decided to severely limit available movies - many days there were none available at any nearby theater. So I ditched MP. Have been with Sinemia - a similar service that did not limit movies. Cost a few more bucks a month, but still a good deal. It was already established in Europe, so I figured less of a risk of problems. That also has worked well for a few months - 3 movies per month at 12 bucks. I recently joined for a year to get 3 movies per month at nine bucks. Now the app does not work. I just get "error" for both our phones when I try to reserve a movie. There is no call-in customer service - email is only option. So it will probably be a fight to get my yearly subscription back. Lesson learned.
randomguy

Re: I give up on discount movie apps....

Post by randomguy »

Business whose model depends on raising venture capital to stay in business are always pretty risky to to make a long term commitment to. When the money gets low, things get sketchy. Paying by the month is fine. Signing up for a year in advance is just asking for problems.
Topic Author
krafty81

Post by krafty81 »

You are so right... :?
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

Thankfully it was only a $108 lesson. I've had more expensive lessons that I've had to learn over the years.
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

randomguy wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:33 am Business whose model depends on raising venture capital to stay in business are always pretty risky to to make a long term commitment to. When the money gets low, things get sketchy. Paying by the month is fine. Signing up for a year in advance is just asking for problems.
Its amazing how many people still invest in the "South Park underpants gnome" three step business plan these days:

1 Collect users and their data
2 ???
3 Profit
tesuzuki2002

Post by tesuzuki2002 »

krafty81 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:19 am So I was an early guy with Movie Pass. For a few months it was great - 3 movies per month at my favorite theater. Then MP decided to severely limit available movies - many days there were none available at any nearby theater. So I ditched MP. Have been with Sinemia - a similar service that did not limit movies. Cost a few more bucks a month, but still a good deal. It was already established in Europe, so I figured less of a risk of problems. That also has worked well for a few months - 3 movies per month at 12 bucks. I recently joined for a year to get 3 movies per month at nine bucks. Now the app does not work. I just get "error" for both our phones when I try to reserve a movie. There is no call-in customer service - email is only option. So it will probably be a fight to get my yearly subscription back. Lesson learned.
Just file it with your credit card to get your money back. They are no longer providing the level of service you paid for. easy and done!
mega317

Post by mega317 »

If it's too good to be true it probably is. Obviously they weren't making money selling tickets to you for 4 bucks each so there had to be a catch somewhere. I don't even like paying my daycare a year ahead and it's cheaper and more convenient than our other options and we get a discount for it.

A quick googling suggests there might be a class action lawsuit for you.
https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6212
ososnilknarf

Post by ososnilknarf »

I did the same thing. Started on MP, cancelled after they started restricting the available movies, then signed up for a year with Sinemia.
Then one day Sinemia stopped working and they said my account had been terminated due to using it improperly or something. I had only ever used it as advertised.
And you're right there is no way to get hold of them.

Luckily, my credit card issuer refunded my money no problem. I just called and said that I had paid for a service for a year and they stopped delivering the service after about 3 months.

I'm guessing they cancelled my account because my usage had just gotten to the point where they would lose money.
ychuck46

Post by ychuck46 »

Was an avid user of Dealflicks for a # of years. Disappointed when they went defunct this past year. Now I just do the senior discount pricing on all days/all times at the AMC theaters.
jjunk

Post by jjunk »

If you have an AMC near you, their program is excellent. It costs 22-25/mo depending on your location and you can see up to 3 movies a week, including all special formats (3D, IMAX, Dolby, etc). They also give you points in their own rewards system and the monthly fee generates a $5 reward every few months which you can use on concessions. Their app is a little flaky but you can also use Fandango to purchase tickets and get $5 rewards for every four movies you see.
Topic Author
krafty81

Post by krafty81 »

Yes the AMC program has gotten great feedback and is well supported. Our AMC theater is not great, however, so I wanted some variety options. I left feedback on Trustpilot (Sinemia responded), twitter (no response) and email (no response). Also filed a BBB complaint. BTW, their rating is "F".
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread has run its course and is locked (general complaint). As a reminder, see: Personal Consumer Issues
Note that topics must be directly connected to your (or your friend's or family's) life as a consumer. General comments or complaints about these topics will be locked or removed.

Note that this subforum has a much lower threshold for locking or removing posts than the financial and investing subforums. In general, controversial, offensive, pointless, divisive or mean-spirited posts or topics may be locked, edited or deleted (with or without notice) at the discretion of the moderating staff even if they do not otherwise violate forum policies.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.