Do you pick up after renting a vacation rental?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Do you pick up after renting a vacation rental?

Post by ThankYouJack » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:58 pm

I usually pick up everything making it extremely quick and easy for the cleaners. But my current rental is costing me $175 for cleaning a small already clean place. I believe cleaning and putting away all the dishes the renter should do even if it’s not written in the check out policy? Should I feel obligated to put everything away? Things like blankets and a few toys and games. I probably will anyway, just curious what others do.

Re: Do you pick up after renting a vacation rental?

Post by 123 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:02 pm

It really depends on how you were raised. If you were raised to clean up after yourself then you can't stop yourself from doing it. In fact you wouldn't feel comfortable unless you did pick up after yourself.

Those that never internalized picking up after themselves are another story.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:07 pm

If I’m paying $175 for cleaning, I’ll leave dirty dishes in the sink. I don’t pay that much to clean my 4 bedroom house.

We’re tidy people anyway, so we don’t really “pick up,” but it will still be tidy.

TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:15 pm

If this is an AirBnB, or the like, all is negotiable.

I can't help myself but to make places that I rent neater than when I arrive. I think it's a disease :(

renue74

Post by renue74 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:28 pm

We usually pick up. Most vacation places we stay are, we normally don't spend a ton of time inside...so they are not that dirty. When a cleaner would come, they would only need to hit the surfaces with cleaner and vacuum.

I have an airbnb and I charge $65 for cleaning a 3 bed/2bath house. Every time we "turn" the home, we spend at least 2-3 hours there cleaning and washing sheets, etc. Some people are slobs....others pick up. None of them thoroughly clean like we would.

The $175 you pay may be for a larger cleaning service or it could simply be padding for profit.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:47 pm

When I was a Boy Scout and we stayed somewhere (usually cabin type place) that wasn't a tent, the troop leader always said we leave it looking better than when we got here. However, we weren't being charged a cleaning fee. I would not clean the place. I would also not leave the bedding from the bedroom on the floor or in the living room. I would probably not leave dishes in the sink either unless it was just a handful. I certainly wouldn't leave it looking like a pig sty. I would leave it tidy but not clean.

Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:17 pm

We always straighten and tidy the place. It goes against our nature not too.

Cheers

Gnirk

Post by Gnirk » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:31 pm

Silk McCue wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:17 pm
We always straighten and tidy the place. It goes against our nature not too.

Cheers
+1

oldmotos

Post by oldmotos » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:23 pm

We own a couple of vacation rentals far from our home that we manage and hire the cleaning done. We charge $150 for cleaning a 2000 sq. ft. 3/2 house. Check out time is 10 AM and new guests arrive at 3 PM. The number one challenge for the cleaners is getting all the laundry done so we ask the guests to wash/dry the beach towels etc. before they leave if possible and start a load of bedding. Most also take out the trash and pick up. We certainly don't expect the house to be as clean as when they arrived but appreciate those who understand the challenge of getting ready for the next guests.

mega317

Post by mega317 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:40 pm

I don't think you're obligated to do anything that isn't specifically requested or contracted. But why not go through life making things a little easier for other people? You should try stacking your dishes at a restaurant before they're cleared. Feels great.
ThankYouJack wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:58 pm
But my current rental is costing me $175 for cleaning a small already clean place.
Are you on vacation right now? Put your computer down!

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:56 pm

Perhaps the vacation rental owner previously worked for the accounting department at United Airlines. It strikes me as a way to advertise a lower nightly rate and hit a target profit through add-on fees.

I usually pick up, wash dishes, sweep, strip the beds, and start a load of towels in the wash. I do it partially out of a sense of responsibility for the things I use, and partially out of paranoia about extra fees and uncertainty what the expectations are.

For that price, I think I would pick up and start a load of towels in the wash.

FlyAF

Post by FlyAF » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:53 am

If I'm paying $150+ for a cleaning fee, I'm not going to be inclined to do much upon my departure and I'm ordinarily a neat freak.

miamivice

Post by miamivice » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:03 am

I have never rented an Airbnb but have stayed in my fair share of hotel rooms. I definitely do not pickup after myself or restore the room.

One exception was when I stayed in a hotel for a month. I redecorated the room during my stay, and undecorated before I left.

Barsoom

Post by Barsoom » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:06 am

We will rinse the dishes and put them in the dishwasher, but that's about it.

-B

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:09 am

Anything that belongs in the trash goes into the trash. Dishes washed but not dried and put away. Used towels in a pile on floor. That’s about it.

abner kravitz

Post by abner kravitz » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:10 am

I had a short-term rental for a couple of years - I did not expect people to clean up when I was charging them a $150 cleaning fee. I was hoping they wouldn't steal the tupperware, but that expectation was not met with regularity.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:10 am

For me, it depends on whether or not I want to rent the place again in the future. We rented a place on the gulf coast every year for eight years and so we tried to stay on the good side of the owner so that we could get preference in renting it for the same time the following year. His checkout list included putting dirty dishes in the dishwasher and starting the cycle which we did.

knightrider

Post by knightrider » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:12 am

mega317 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:40 pm
You should try stacking your dishes at a restaurant before they're cleared. Feels great.
Haha, I do that, but my spouse says it is bad manners.. Maybe it is bad manners to do at someonen's house? I think at a restaurant the staff would appreciate it, no?

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:16 am

What does the contract say? What did you agree to?

A rental property is a business. I'm respectful to property, but if I'm paying $175 for a cleaning fee and the contract doesn't say I'm to do the dishes, then I'm not bothering to do the dishes.

JT

JoMoney

Post by JoMoney » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:17 am

123 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:02 pm
It really depends on how you were raised. If you were raised to clean up after yourself then you can't stop yourself from doing it. In fact you wouldn't feel comfortable unless you did pick up after yourself.

Those that never internalized picking up after themselves are another story.
:thumbsup
I was disgusted at the idea of someone questioning whether or not they should pick up their own mess.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:18 am

Barsoom wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:06 am

-B
We put all the dishes in the dishwasher and hit start as we're going out the door.

Why do you rinse the dishes before you put them in the dishwasher? Isn't that what a dishwasher does?
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

onourway

Post by onourway » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:22 am

We frequently rent in the same area, often from the same owners multiple times. We leave the place neater than when we arrived. Often we are reimbursed our cleaning fee. Those who know us well no longer charge it and it is part of why they will often rent to us at greatly discounted rates if they have a cancellation or an open week. The community is small enough and we have been going long enough that you have a reputation as a renter, even outside of the websites. Our efforts have paid for themselves many times over.

abner kravitz

Post by abner kravitz » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:28 am

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:18 am
Barsoom wrote:

-B
We put all the dishes in the dishwasher and hit start as we're going out the door.

Why do you rinse the dishes before you put them in the dishwasher? Isn't that what a dishwasher does?
I have this debate with my wife - I say you should rinse them so less garbage goes through the filter. She says I am wrong and that there is no need.

8foot7

Post by 8foot7 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:31 am

If I’m being charged a cleaning fee I’m not going to do the work I’m paying for. We won’t leave the place a pig sty but your next guests aren’t my problem at $175 on top of my nightly rate. If there is no cleaning fee or it’s a deposit, I’m happy to put more effort in.

Andyrunner

Post by Andyrunner » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:37 am

We clean up fairly well. Mainly because we don't want to be viewed as pigs and bad renters.

The higher the cleaning fee the less we feel obligated to though. What bothers me the most is when a place charges $150-200 for a cleaning fee when the place is $120 a night or something and the contract asks you do everything for them (laundry, dishes, sweeping).

My SIL's family did a rental once and ended up spending the whole last day cleaning the place as the contract pretty much asked them to vacuum, dishes, all laundry, etc. She was not happy afterwards.

coalcracker

Post by coalcracker » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:41 am

I've stayed at many AirBnb/VRBOr rentals, and check out procedures often ask that you load and turn on the dishwasher and either start a load of towels or pile the towels on the floor. I have no problem with this, even if a cleaning fee is mandatory.

However, I'm certainly not as careful to pre-rinse the dishes and/or hand wash certain kitchen items as I would be at home. I don't think rental owners expect diligent care, which is often reflected in the cheapness of stocked kitchen dishes and utensils.

In general I try to comply with the owners check out procedures. Remember the owner also reviews you as a renter and, if you trash the place, you risk being "blacklisted" on future rentals.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:51 am

Where being charged a cleaning fee, I think I would do a basic cleanup - empty trash, pickup any trash in the place, wash and put dishes away.

I think the term "broom clean" would apply.

mega317

Post by mega317 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:10 am

The total paid is what it is and someone has to clean it. Why does some people's behavior change based on how the bill is itemized?

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:24 am

abner kravitz wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:28 am

I have this debate with my wife - I say you should rinse them so less garbage goes through the filter. She says I am wrong and that there is no need.
I installed and I maintain my dishwasher. I never rince anything. Sure, I'll dump stuff in the trash if there's steak bones or left over green beans, but never is any water involved. I have never had to clean the filter of anything that was on a plate. Broken plastic forks now and then.....sure. Our dish washer is about 10 years old and I've been doing this for at least 30 years over 3 houses.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

RadAudit
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'til morning

Post by RadAudit » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:36 am

ThankYouJack wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:58 pm
But my current rental is costing me $175 for cleaning a small already clean place.
We've been renting at the beach for over 30+ years. I'm sure they charge us for cleaning - they just don't itemize it in the bill. And yes, the rental / check-out policy includes instructions on what to do with the dishes, trash, bedding, and sweeping.

From a timing point of view, I can't see how a crew can clean all that many houses from 10:00 AM check-out to 4:00 PM check-in without some sort of help from the departing tenants. And, I can't see how a crew would take that seasonal job without a fair number of houses to clean-up, if they are paid on a per house basis.
FI is the best revenge. LBYM. Invest the rest. Stay the course. - PS: The cavalry isn't coming, kids. You are on your own.

oldmotos

Post by oldmotos » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:48 am

iamlucky13 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:56 pm
Perhaps the vacation rental owner previously worked for the accounting department at United Airlines. It strikes me as a way to advertise a lower nightly rate and hit a target profit through add-on fees.
The reason we charge a cleaning fee is our guests may stay for 3 nights or 3 months so it does not work well to include the cleaning fee in the nightly rate.

michaelingp

Post by michaelingp » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:49 am

Most places we rent (AirBnB) have pretty explicit instructions detailing the owner's expectations. But my wife does all the bookings and she says that lately the "cleaning" fees are escalating into the really annoying range, at which point I would be much less likely to clean dishes, sweep floors, put bedding in the wash, etc. I'm on vacation! I don't want to do chores!

Hotel rooms are different since you know (hope, anyway) they are going to clean from top to bottom between guests, so no point cleaning up yourself. Just leave a bigger tip if you left a huge mess.

michaelingp

Post by michaelingp » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:56 am

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:24 am

I installed and I maintain my dishwasher. I never rince anything. Sure, I'll dump stuff in the trash if there's steak bones or left over green beans, but never is any water involved. I have never had to clean the filter of anything that was on a plate. Broken plastic forks now and then.....sure. Our dish washer is about 10 years old and I've been doing this for at least 30 years over 3 houses.
Consumer Reports reported on this a long while back. Their position was that dishwashers have maceraters built in, so you're just wasting water to rinse before you put dishes in the wash. A dishwasher uses much less water than washing by hand, so they say you should take advantage of that. My dishwasher has a screen, but I wouldn't call it a filter. Still, it's hard to break the habit, so I frequently rinse with water.

Kennedy

Post by Kennedy » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:11 am

No matter what the owner's instructions say or not say, I always remove the sheets and pile them on the washer. I start a load of towels and load and start the dishwasher. I also tidy up a hotel room and pile the towels in one spot to make it easier for the maid. And I would absolutely, without a doubt, put away any games/toys that were used.

Irisheyes

Post by Irisheyes » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:47 pm

My very first summer job in this country was a chamber maid. It completely shocked me that towels were left thrown on the floor, empty pizza boxes strewn around, general mayhem in most of the rooms. When I later owned my own lodging facility with weekly rentals, we charged a $200 cleaning fee upfront, but returned it all if the houses were left clean and relatively tidy.

I do tidy and leave air bnbs and weekly rentals looking manageable. No matter what rate you are paying, it's more than likely some underpaid hourly worker who will be cleaning up after you, and its a cr*ppy job.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:03 pm

Dishes would be in the dishwasher but I wouldn't wipe down counters.

SC Anteater

Post by SC Anteater » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:07 pm

I pick up to make it easier on the cleaning staff, who don't make much money for a physically demanding job. I don't pick up for the property owner.

I'll follow the instructions they have, so if they don't say strip the beds I won't. But I definitely tidy up/take out the trash/etc. I don't leave a mess.

Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:39 pm

bottlecap wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:16 am

A rental property is a business. I'm respectful to property, but if I'm paying $175 for a cleaning fee and the contract doesn't say I'm to do the dishes, then I'm not bothering to do the dishes.

JT
I’m starting to look at it more this way. I did tidy up quite a bit but left some dishes in the sink and clean ones in the dishwasher. I’m on vacation and paying for the service. It probably took them 90 minutes to finish so thats a very good hourly rate even if the owner keeps $75 of the $175

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:02 pm

oldmotos wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:48 am
iamlucky13 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:56 pm
The reason we charge a cleaning fee is our guests may stay for 3 nights or 3 months so it does not work well to include the cleaning fee in the nightly rate.
Understood. My comment was not against cleaning fees in general, but pointed at how steep the fee reported by the original poster was. I saw your fee was not significantly lower, but the house you manage sounds like it is significantly bigger, so it is less of a surprise to me.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:08 pm

Whatever the contract says. If it says to strip beds and run the washing machine we do that. If it says put all trash in XYZ place we do that. I don’t trash places so cleanup is easy. I generally look at total cost. If one rental is $1000 with a $175 fee and another equivalent is $1200 no fee I’ll choose the one with fee.

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:27 pm

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Barsoom wrote:

-B

Sometime in the future when I encounter a dishwasher that consistently gets the dishes clean if I don't rinse or scrub away dairy products, dried food, or cooked on food, I'll happily stop spending my time prepping the dishes for what the dishwasher can handle. I've not experienced this yet.

I've also never bought a dishwasher myself. Perhaps my parents and all the landlords and former owners I've inherited dishwashers from made consistently bad purchasing decisions.

Are you saying you really never have to do any pre-cleaning in your dishwasher?

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:10 pm

iamlucky13 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:27 pm
Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Barsoom wrote:

-B

Sometime in the future when I encounter a dishwasher that consistently gets the dishes clean if I don't rinse or scrub away dairy products, dried food, or cooked on food, I'll happily stop spending my time prepping the dishes for what the dishwasher can handle. I've not experienced this yet.

I've also never bought a dishwasher myself. Perhaps my parents and all the landlords and former owners I've inherited dishwashers from made consistently bad purchasing decisions.

Are you saying you really never have to do any pre-cleaning in your dishwasher?
Dishwasher instructions and discussions I’ve seen say Do Not Rinse — unless the dishes will sit in the appliance for days before a wash cycle. (Think dried egg yolks.) Yeah, scrape off chunks, but no need to pre-wash (!?!) or even rinse most of the time. I’ve even read that dishwasher are designed to work better if there is some schmutz to move around.

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:48 pm

My husband and I usually make it presentable, all dishes are washed, we wipe the stove top, take out the trash. We don’t leave the place in a mess, but not super clean either.

Dave55

Post by Dave55 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:51 pm

Yes, I always straighten up, load and run dishwasher and throw out trash.

Dave

Irisheyes

Post by Irisheyes » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:16 pm

ThankYouJack wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:39 pm
bottlecap wrote:

JT
I’m starting to look at it more this way. I did tidy up quite a bit but left some dishes in the sink and clean ones in the dishwasher. I’m on vacation and paying for the service. It probably took them 90 minutes to finish so thats a very good hourly rate even if the owner keeps $75 of the $175
Many airbnbs/short term rentals contract to cleaning services, who take a further cut of the fee, so the actual cleaner does not get the remainder after the owner keeps their putative cut. In addition, most rentals I have been in are cleaned by at least two people, and sometimes more. So the hourly rate of the cleaners is even more meager.

JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:32 pm

Have an owner keep a chunk of your security deposit one time for extra cleaning when you rented a house with a large group on spring break and I can assure you that you will make sure every future rental is in wonderful shape when you walk out the door.
Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple. -Dr. Seuss

briansmt4

Post by briansmt4 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:36 pm

I have not cleaned up, done the dishes or taken linens to laundry room, even if given instructions to do so, if charged a cleaning fee. And I've never been docked from the deposit, or been dinged on the owner review of me for having failed to do those things. Maybe they expect it? But we aren't very messy and do otherwise respect their property.

SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:28 pm

quantAndHold wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:07 pm
I’ll leave dirty dishes in the sink.
That's fair enough under any circumstance, though I'd rinse them first. As a host, I wouldn't trust guests to do the most hygienic job of cleaning dishes (and possibly vice versa).

Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:35 am

Thanks all, my other question is - The place I just rented didn't have paper towels and only a bit of toilet paper when I checked in. Who is typically responsible for restocking? Renter or owner? I don't really want to take time out of my vacation to go to the store to get a roll of toilet paper.
Irisheyes wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:16 pm
ThankYouJack wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:39 pm
bottlecap wrote:

JT
Many airbnbs/short term rentals contract to cleaning services, who take a further cut of the fee, so the actual cleaner does not get the remainder after the owner keeps their putative cut. In addition, most rentals I have been in are cleaned by at least two people, and sometimes more. So the hourly rate of the cleaners is even more meager.
My friend with a similar rental is charged $100 by his house cleaner. It seems like two people could do the work in under an 30-60 if the laundry is done and the place is left tidy. The place I just rented was clean but there were some hairs left in the shower which makes me believe the cleaners just do a quick spot wipe down possibly spot vacuum.

phxjcc

Post by phxjcc » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:39 am

It used to be ...
Owner hired a cleaning crew, they charged owner $100.
Owner saw place was spotless and returned the fee, or if clean, returned 1/2 of it.

Then MSFT/Expedia gets involved and they want their 20%.
So, it goes to $120.
Six months later, the owner finds out that MSFT is such a PITA to deal with, owner hires a PM company.
They demand that you use their cleaning crews.
Usually someone's brother-in-law.
They jack the rate to $150, because it is "other people's money"; as in, "hey, what do you care we pass it along to the renter!"
The PM still wants their cut, so it goes to $175.

And no, you cannot get them to refund the amount if the place is left as as clean as an OR.

It used to be a nice business.
Now the big guys (booker/websites) have abstracted the owner from the renter.

Progress, now Get Off My Lawn!