Travel Tips -- Santa Fe, Taos, etc.

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
SC Anteater

Travel Tips -- Santa Fe, Taos, etc.

Post by SC Anteater »

Heading to New Mexico next month. Would love some recommendations on places to eat, things to do (apart from obvious touristy stuff) in the Santa Fe, Taos area.

Also, has anyone gone to Chaco Cultural site? Doesn't seem like there's anyplace to stay nearby? How did you handle that?
fortfun

Re: Travel Tips -- Santa Fe, Taos, etc.

Post by fortfun »

SC Anteater wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:50 pm Heading to New Mexico next month. Would love some recommendations on places to eat, things to do (apart from obvious touristy stuff) in the Santa Fe, Taos area.

Also, has anyone gone to Chaco Cultural site? Doesn't seem like there's anyplace to stay nearby? How did you handle that?
We've been to Chaco Canyon. Camped in the campground just outside the ruins. Otherwise, you'll need to drive about 45 minutes or so to the nearest hotel. Neat ruins but nothing like Mesa Verde, however; it is a World Heritage site. One day is plenty of time to see most of the ruins.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

SC Anteater wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:50 pm Heading to New Mexico next month. Would love some recommendations on places to eat, things to do (apart from obvious touristy stuff) in the Santa Fe, Taos area.

This area is on our list, along with some of the National Parks (for the same or different trip).
DH is especially interested in Santa Fe. Classical Music would be a real plus if we can be there at the "right time".
Neither of us have ever been in the area.

(I'd also appreciate suggestions about when the temperatures aren't too hot. At this age, I don't handle heat very well, even if it's "dry heat". How late in the spring or early in the fall should we plan to draw a line when planning.)

Thanks.
RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams »

I've done Chaco, in and out on the same day. Watch out if it's been raining - it may have changed, but rumor was that they deliberately left the road unpaved to reduce traffic in and out.

Santa Fe isn't that hot in the summer, the elevation is quite high -
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Fe% ... co#Climate

Santa Fe Opera isn't until June:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Fe% ... _and_opera

There's an older thread about restaurants in Santa Fe - I always liked The Shed.
Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets »

For food in that area, if you are not familiar with NM SW food, you should try anything with green chile in it. Green chile is chile peppers, but is also green chile on a menu and it is a stew with pork and green chiles and you will like it. You may also run across green chile Apple pie. You should try a Navajo taco should you run across it.
If you have a car you could dive to Madrid, which is an eclectic town, which is 30 miles south of S.F. Very artsy. One Main Street. Couple bars with live music in the day.
Lots of different foods if you are from somewhere back east.
Flobes

Post by Flobes »

SC Anteater wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:50 pm Heading to New Mexico next month. Would love some recommendations on... things to do (apart from obvious touristy stuff) in the Santa Fe, Taos area.
Ojo Caliente
Enjoy a day soaking in healing mineral waters. Better yet: indulge in luxurious night, get rubbed and scrubbed, and enjoy deliciousness at onsite restaurant.

Ghost Ranch
Day trip or spend the night. Walking and horse tours offered, or enroll in a workshop. Georgia O'Keefe's milieu: see her house and/or museum while exploring her landscape. Also Museum of Paleontology and Museum of Archaeology.

Los Alamos National Laboratory
Where USA famously developed the nuclear bomb. Visit Bradbury Science Museum. Be sure to binge watch "The Manhattan Project" before you go!
Topic Author
SC Anteater

Post by SC Anteater »

Shallowpockets wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:33 pm For food in that area, if you are not familiar with NM SW food, you should try anything with green chile in it. Green chile is chile peppers, but is also green chile on a menu and it is a stew with pork and green chiles and you will like it. You may also run across green chile Apple pie. You should try a Navajo taco should you run across it.
If you have a car you could dive to Madrid, which is an eclectic town, which is 30 miles south of S.F. Very artsy. One Main Street. Couple bars with live music in the day.
Lots of different foods if you are from somewhere back east.
From California, but definitely looking forward to some delicious NM chile dishes.
Topic Author
SC Anteater

Post by SC Anteater »

Flobes wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:52 pm
SC Anteater wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:50 pm Heading to New Mexico next month. Would love some recommendations on... things to do (apart from obvious touristy stuff) in the Santa Fe, Taos area.
Ojo Caliente
Enjoy a day soaking in healing mineral waters. Better yet: indulge in luxurious night, get rubbed and scrubbed, and enjoy deliciousness at onsite restaurant.

Ghost Ranch
Day trip or spend the night. Walking and horse tours offered, or enroll in a workshop. Georgia O'Keefe's milieu: see her house and/or museum while exploring her landscape. Also Museum of Paleontology and Museum of Archaeology.

Los Alamos National Laboratory
Where USA famously developed the nuclear bomb. Visit Bradbury Science Museum. Be sure to binge watch "The Manhattan Project" before you go!
These are all good - thanks!
Topic Author
SC Anteater

Post by SC Anteater »

fortfun wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:56 pm

We've been to Chaco Canyon. Camped in the campground just outside the ruins. Otherwise, you'll need to drive about 45 minutes or so to the nearest hotel. Neat ruins but nothing like Mesa Verde, however; it is a World Heritage site. One day is plenty of time to see most of the ruins.
I've been to Mesa Verde (a long time ago) as well as some cliff dwellings in AZ (not Canyon de Chelly). Interesting -- I thought Chaco was the big deal among the various ancient sites.
BBQ Nut

Post by BBQ Nut »

Things to do from Santa Fe:
* Bandelier National Monument
* Vallas Caldera area has some trails; great vistas

Places to eat in Santa Fe:
* Valentina's on W. Alameda has great NM food at fair prices
* Santa Fe Bar & Grill in the DeVargas Center has a good selection of NM Craft Beer and good grub

Things to do from Taos:
Drive out the Rio Grande Gorge Bridge - pass over the bridge and on the left is a parking lot at some trail heads; great vistas
WoodSpinner

Post by WoodSpinner »

We really enjoyed our stay at La Fonda in Santa Fe. Spent a whole day walking the Galleries —

We also had an amazing time at White Sands National Monument and Carlsbad Caverns.

Also, take some time and visit some of the Pueblo’s...

WoodSpinner
Last edited by WoodSpinner on Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WoodSpinner
Random Poster

Post by Random Poster »

I think that The Shed is overrated and that their chiles are far too hot. If you eat their food without the chiles, it has absolutely no flavor.

Consider Palacio Cafe instead. It is on Palace Avenue, a few steps down from The Shed. Service is (or usually is) slow, but the enchiladas are well above average and the green chile stew is excellent. And the owner is a former chef at The Shed, for whatever that is worth. I get the smothered breakfast burrito with green chiles (pretty filling stuff) and the wife gets the enchiladas and the stew. We haven’t been disappointed yet, and we’ve been going there for at least 4 years now.
bernoulli

Post by bernoulli »

We went last summer and had a great time. We stayed at Adobe Pines Inn and Old Taos Guest House, both are highly recommended. Taos Pueblo is a UNESCO world heritage site, unique to that part of the US, a must visit. After visiting Taos Pueblo, go to Tiwa Kitchen just down the road for some authentic (and delicious) local food. We also went to a restaurant called the "Love Apple" which is in a cute renovated old house. The food is alright.

We chose Tomasita's over the Shed and the food at Tomasita's is really top notch. If you want NM cuisine, please give Tomasita's a try and be prepared to wait a little because they are always packed. The Pantry in Santa Fe for breakfast was good. Kakawa Chocolate House was good although a bit overpriced in my opinion. Hikes around Bandelier National Monument were nice and the ranger gave a good tour. Walking in Santa Fe was fun in and of itself, with all the art galleries and nice gardens lining the pedestrian walkway.
Mathematicus

Post by Mathematicus »

Lots of good suggestions here.

Chaco is very much in the middle of nowhere (and far away from Santa Fe & Taos). The setting isn’t as dramatic as Mesa Verde, but the ruins are vast and fascinating. If you can stomach camping, staying in the park is your best bet. Otherwise, you’d need to stay around Farmington, Grants, or Jemez Springs (depending on which direction you’re coming from). The road is rough going when dry and impassible when wet.

If you want a hotel and are flying via Albuquerque, I’d suggest some order of Albuquerque-Chaco-Jemez Springs route. The drive between Jemez Springs and Santa Fe along NM 4 is pretty and will take you past hot springs, the Valles Caldera, Los Alamos, and Bandelier.

In Santa Fe there are tons of great restaurants. Don’t worry about hitting the 1 or 2 tourist hotspots; anything with good online ratings will be worthwhile. Don’t miss Meow Wolf, which is an interactive art installation that opened a couple years ago. It gets busy so try to go in the mornings on a weekday. All the art museums are also world class.

In Taos, I’d suggest getting a vacation rental around Arroyo Seco. We often rent with a hot tub. You can often kick back and stare at the Milky Way! Common Fire is one of my favorite restaurants. If you’re feeling adventurous, I suggest river rafting. Tour companies have trips for all fitness levels, and it should be a good year due to high snowpack.

Finally, if you like chocolate, Kakawa in Santa Fe and Chokola in Taos are not to be missed!
bluebolt

Post by bluebolt »

In Santa Fe,

If you like art, take the time for a leisurely stroll down Canyon Rd.
If you want to go to a spa, 10,000 Waves is really nice.
If you like hot food, New Mexican food is great. Roasted New Mexican chiles are delicious.
OnTrack

Post by OnTrack »

Be sure to order sopapillas for dessert when in NM!
Last edited by OnTrack on Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CFM300

Post by CFM300 »

If you like to hike, you should climb the La Luz trail in ABQ. You can take the cable car back down. Let me know if you want more details.

I also recommend Kasha-Katuwe Tent Rock National Park.
oldzey

Post by oldzey »

The Randall Davey Audubon Center and Sanctuary is a hidden gem.

http://randalldavey.audubon.org/
"The broker said the stock was 'poised to move.' Silly me, I thought he meant up." ― Randy Thurman
Kaladin333

Post by Kaladin333 »

You must go to Meow Wolf when in Sante Fe. It is such an amazing place for people of all ages.
Topic Author
SC Anteater

Post by SC Anteater »

These are all great! Thanks so much!
Topic Author
SC Anteater

Post by SC Anteater »

CFM300 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:50 pm If you like to hike, you should climb the La Luz trail in ABQ. You can take the cable car back down. Let me know if you want more details.

I also recommend Kasha-Katuwe Tent Rock National Park.
Looks like the trailhead is closed until June. Bummer http://www.laluztrail.com/
PoppyA

Post by PoppyA »

The art Galleries and such are exceptional IMHO. See post above.
saddle_tramp

Post by saddle_tramp »

Lots of good suggestions already. No one mentioned the Lorreto Chapel yet. www.lorettochapel.com It is in Santa Fe just a little ways from the plaza across from the St Francis of Assisi Cathedral. The Lensic Perfoming Arts Center is where you might catch a Santa Fe Chamber Music Festival performance. Rio Grande Gorge if you like nature and wide open spaces. Bridge is over 800ft above the river. Lots of good suggestions already. Enjoy your visit.
SevenBridgesRoad

Post by SevenBridgesRoad »

Mathematicus wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:20 pm Lots of good suggestions here...Don’t miss Meow Wolf, which is an interactive art installation that opened a couple years ago.
+++1 Meow Wolf
We've seen nothing like it. Not just another art installation.
Last edited by SevenBridgesRoad on Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Profit

Post by Jim Profit »

Meow Wolf in Santa Fe and Ojo Caliente for sure. Scenery around the Rio Grande Gorge bridge near Taos is very beautiful and free, also an easy hiking trail to stretch your legs is on the far side of the bridge near a parking area.
GingerandPiper

Post by GingerandPiper »

Santa Fe area: For sure the following: Meow Wolf, Canyon Road, the Plaza, Museum Hill (scenery is gorgeous too) and Los Alamos is well worth the trip. There are so many great restaurants it's overwhelming but local people (as well as returning tourists) love Pasquals and the bar and music at the La Fonda Hotel. The Shed owners have another restaurant on Cerrillos called La Choza. I haven't eaten there though. Jambo on Cerrillos is consistently praised. For fine dining, the Compound is wonderful (but pricey!). Also I'm told Eloisa at the Drury Inn is excellent and Olivier. Get a copy of the Santa Fe Reporter and they have an annual restaurant edition and it's a good place to start. Just google them.

Oh, you can count on the jewelry being authentic if it's sold by the Native Americans under the portal across from the Plaza...I think it's called Palace of the Governors. My mind just went blank. Of course, many other reputable jewelers in SF will sell only authentic native jewelry as well.

Almost forgot, if time drive out to the SF Opera grounds and just look around. Gorgeous venue although the opera doesn't start until July, but they'll let you look inside the theater. They have tours too.

I've visited Taos a couple of times and thought it was fine but had no desire to go back, as there is so much in Santa Fe. But there are people who LOVE Taos - so there you go!

Hope this helps.
Sweet Betsy

Post by Sweet Betsy »

We loved Santa Fe. When we were there there were so many artists' booths lining the street that I didn't even bother going into any stores....so much to look at. (I also had my two teenage sons with me, they would only put up with so much shopping). We really enjoyed Bandolier NP, we kind of stumbled upon it and didn't come prepared to spend an entire day but a couple of hours was well worth it. If you go make sure you bring a backpack with plenty of water and food.

Los Alamos was great to visit. Not a whole lot there but fascinating to hear the story and imagine it as it was in the 40's.

The food was amazing.
CFM300

Post by CFM300 »

SC Anteater wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:50 am Looks like the [La Luz] trailhead is closed until June. Bummer http://www.laluztrail.com/
Not a problem! That's not where you want to park or start your hike anyway.

The best way to do the hike is to park at the bottom of the tram, which is a different parking lot entirely. From the tram parking lot, take the Tramway Trail north. It intersects with the La Luz way above the La Luz trail head parking lot that's closed. At the top, you can take the tram back down, where your car will be waiting. :beer
Topic Author
SC Anteater

Post by SC Anteater »

CFM300 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:37 pm
SC Anteater wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:50 am Looks like the [La Luz] trailhead is closed until June. Bummer http://www.laluztrail.com/

The best way to do the hike is to park at the bottom of the tram, which is a different parking lot entirely. From the tram parking lot, take the Tramway Trail north. It intersects with the La Luz way above the La Luz trail head parking lot that's closed. At the top, you can take the tram back down, where your car will be waiting. :beer
Wow, that's great info. I would have never know that!
saddle_tramp

Post by saddle_tramp »

CFM300 wrote: ↑
Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:37 pm

SC Anteater wrote: ↑
Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:50 am
Looks like the [La Luz] trailhead is closed until June. Bummer http://www.laluztrail.com/

Please be aware that the LaLuz trail hike is not for the weak hearted(literally). You are climbing from appx. 6500ft to over 10,000ft. If you are not used to climbing at elevation you could have trouble. Weather can also be a factor as it can change with elevation as you hike up the mountain. You can always take the tram up and hike the Crest trail and take the tram back down as an alternative.
Topic Author
SC Anteater

Post by SC Anteater »

saddle_tramp wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:15 pm
CFM300 wrote: ↑
Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:37 pm

SC Anteater wrote: ↑
Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:50 am
Looks like the [La Luz] trailhead is closed until June. Bummer http://www.laluztrail.com/

Please be aware that the LaLuz trail hike is not for the weak hearted(literally). You are climbing from appx. 6500ft to over 10,000ft. If you are not used to climbing at elevation you could have trouble. Weather can also be a factor as it can change with elevation as you hike up the mountain. You can always take the tram up and hike the Crest trail and take the tram back down as an alternative.
Yeah, I saw that. I'm fairly used to hiking in the Sierras, but I wouldn't say I'm at my peak hiking shape right now. Tram might be a better option.
gs2offroad

Post by gs2offroad »

When you’re done with the ordinary reach for the Taos hum

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hum
Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper »

Rancho De Chimayo, 50 miles SE of Taos one of the best dining experiences I have ever had. Established, pueblo-style restaurant offering traditional New Mexican dishes & outside seating.

Rancho De Chimayo, 300 Juan Medina Rd, Chimayo, NM 87522

Do a BH search on this site a couple of good comments.