What is your hobby and how did it come to be your hobby?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Filetmerlot

Re: What is your hobby and how did it come to be your hobby?

Post by Filetmerlot » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:47 pm

One that is taking up a lot of time now is beekeeping. My 8 y/o son and i just got an extractor. last year, our first year, we harvested by hand and it took a long time and was messy. This year we have 2 colonies and have harvested 40 #s of honey and that was barely the beginning. Will probably get another 50 or 60 by seasons end. Unfortunately i only bought 6oz honey bears to fill so now i have over 100 bottles in the cellar more honey than i know what to do with. My son wants to sell it and give a bunch of the proceeds to charity. We are encouraging that but i don’t know the first thing about starting a small business. There is only so much that the neighbors will buy before they have too much themselves. We want him to do some of the legwork like actually asking if someone wants to buy some instead of me saying “my young son is selling honey he harvested will you buy some”. I guess my new hobby is going to be figuring out how to start a small/micro business

Summit111

Post by Summit111 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:25 pm

helloeveryone wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:31 pm
Summit111 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:18 pm
Saw The Beatles on the Ed Sullivan show when I was a kid. I always wanted to be like Ringo. My mother insisted I take music lessons in elementary and high school. Played very amateur music in high school and early college. Gave it up while raising a family. One day my daughter saw a picture of me playing in a 1960’s Rock ‘n’ roll band. She immediately asked if we could get a set of drums so that she could learn.

Several months later a friend stopped by and saw the drums. He was an amateur guitar player. So, musicians are like dogs, they tend to form packs. Now, years later I play in several professional bands... it’s become a lot of fun in my retirement years. In fact all of the musicians I play with except for the true professionals, are retired from other industries.

I play in several bands, including dance music, and Jazz groups... We have a home studio, where we rehearse, socialize, and have a few beers. We get more calls to play for money than we have time for... it’s been a lot of fun, and played venues I never dreamed I would have appeared in, and with musicians much better than me....

My Avatar is Fats Domino....

Summit
just curious about the revenue of being in a band for hobby. do gigs pay several hundreds per band members? it sounds like great fun to play in a band for fun and actually get to the point of getting paid to do what you enjoy in retirement.
Scale for performing with professional musicians in the city is $200 per gig or even more if travel is involved. I’ve been paid $750 for overnight performances. In the smaller local towns $125-150 is the norm. We won’t play for less than that. I have a converted barn with a studio, kitchen, living room and bath where we rehearse. We play for fun there and don’t have to haul and setup equipment.

It’s rare we play out for free. Too much work setting up and striking the stage....Charitable organizations usually get a financial sponsor for the entertainment...

Summit
“Got my mind on my money, and my money on my mind!” Snoop Dog

Summit111

Post by Summit111 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:31 pm

RollTide31457 wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:21 am
Alabama football. Best vacation days are spent traveling to Tide games. Best people, best food and best football.

We were doing really well until y’all,”Stole” our coach🤣 I blame our Athletic Director for that bonehead move...Guess Saban’s gotta retire sometimes, then the rest of the SEC will have a fighting chance👍

Summit
“Got my mind on my money, and my money on my mind!” Snoop Dog

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:40 pm

keepingitsimple wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:39 pm
I’m looking for a new hobby and am curious as to what other Bogleheads have chosen, as well as how it came to be.
I enjoy golf the older I get. Happened by playing in a charity tournament a few years ago. Am I good? No but I enjoy the time spent outdoors with family and friends.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!"

RetiredAL

Post by RetiredAL » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:11 pm

Electronics: Hobby and Career

Started when I was 8 ( 1958 ) and my Dad brought home a station wagon full of wires, switches, lights, terminal strips, ect, from a computer system that was being scrapped. Boy did I have fun with installing that junk everywhere on my Lionel train board. That Christmas, I got a 21-in-1 ( or something like that ) electronic experimenters kit.

BTW, my Dad was in the Navy. He started as a Radioman in WW2, and retired after 30 years as a LCdr in-charge of Electronic Maintenance. He guided me along.

At 9, I built my first simple Heathkit Radio.

At 13, I built a wonderful Knight Kit shortwave radio.

My High School had an Electronics Program. I became a licensed Amateur Radio operator at age 16. As a novice operator, I had contacts all over the world, including JY1 and JY2, the King and Queen of Jordan. We lived on the ridge overlooking the San Francisco Airport, an excellent radio location.

At age 17, having upgraded to an Advanced License, my entire summer work wage bought me a good SSB radio setup from Drake Radio. That year at Christmas, my Dad bought a Heathkit TV for the family. I put it together. Only one wiring mistake, which that caused a small 10 cent resistor to give up it's smoke.

After High School, I completed an Electronic Tech program at a Junior College near what was becoming Silicon Valley. I then went to San Jose State Univ, and got a degree in Industrial Mgmt. I did extra work for the School of Engineering, programing and maintaining their Student/Alumni database. The database was a box of punch cards that was turned in with the program to be run. That was state-of-the-art programming and data management in early 70's.

About 1976, I built my first computer. It was a kit. I had to solder all the components onto bare boards.

I spent 42 years working as a Mfg Engineer, often working with electronic systems and/or computers, both in support and design roles. When something didn't work right, I was often the person assigned as I could get to the root of the problem, either mechanical or electrical. I became the guy who could place the "X" on the problem.

As I sit here at my desk, I have both a desktop and laptop running, and the ham radio is here, but not turned on.

zengolf2011

Post by zengolf2011 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:24 am

I love learning, so reading is an obvious hobby. I've been pleasantly surprised at things I've learned from playing golf regularly -- staying in the moment, fully present, scientific v. artistic thinking, self-control, comradery. Played some as a kid, but took a 35-yr sabbatical during military stint and work. Felt I was "too busy" to play, which was misguided. I enjoy writing for my eyes only. I love camping, sometimes solitary, a great change of pace that helps me get centered and in touch with nature. I go at least a few days every month. I'm too old to enjoy roughing it anymore, but really dig "glamping" in my small teardrop trailer. It's best when I combine all four of hobbies in a single trip. These brief forays make the rest of my time with wife, friends, and neighbors all the more special. Retirement is great!

shmidds

Post by shmidds » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:29 am

Collecting old motorcycles to restore. It's getting too dangerous to actually ride them.

josehde

Post by josehde » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:52 pm

I have a few hobbies, the oldest would probably be reading. My mom liked to tell strangers that I was the only person in the family to read our encyclopedias from page to page (of course this is an exaggeration, I was the one who used them the most would be more accurate). I guess I just liked learning or being carried away by an engaging story. These days though my reading is mostly online, articles related to finance and investing (the latest of which was this because I was asked by a friend, but had to tell him that it probably was too good to be true) as well as world events. I try to make up for it by having a goal of books to finish for the month, just started last year.

Recently I've also gotten into sending snail mail, mostly postcards. I started because of a friend who collects them. I am in no way a deltiologist, but I do love getting notes from people miles away that I tend to romanticize when I describe it to people, and having mini art in the form of stamps. Also gives me a reason to practice my handwriting, it's gotten better I think. Not at the level that calligraphers would, but man would I love to learn that.

Photography is another fairly recent hobby. I got myself a mirrorless camera first released in 2014, I think? I'm settling for the kit lens for now because I don't have the budget yet for a better and consequently more expensive replacement (photography can be an expensive hobby). I also think I can be a better photographer by forcing myself to master and work around the limitations of the lens. Photography unleashes my creative side, I'd like to think. :happy

Peter Foley

Post by Peter Foley » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:45 pm

Romance languages_ I majored in Spanish in college, a masters in Spanish required a second foreign language (Portuguese) and a PH. D. required a third (Italian). Genealogy and meeting my French relatives lead me to reasonable fluency in a fourth Romance language.

Bike repair - I bike and am somewhat mechanically inclined. I volunteered to fix bikes to give away at a shop when I retired. I also fix bikes for the Free Bikes for Kidz organization (FB4Kz).

Grandchildren - my current "project" is teaching my six year old grandson to fish. He recently stated that fishing and dodge ball are his favorite sports!

Guitar - I learned in college, took lessons in Spain, and enjoy playing folk and older pop music in both English and Spanish.

Financial planning - had this not been a sales occupation when I was in college (stockbroker) I may have majored in finance instead of Spanish. That would have lead to a much different life.

JediMisty

Post by JediMisty » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:59 pm

scubadiver wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:44 pm
Scubadiving - I picked this up when my then girlfriend (now wife) and her father introduced me to it. Been inactive in recent years but will be getting back in the water soon as our oldest is pursuing a junior scuba certification.

Skiing - In past years this was limited to a one week annual ski trip. Due to a recent relocation, this is something the family has done on a regular basis. Last season was a lot of fun as I watched my daughter progress from just barely skiing greens to doing diamonds. Looking forward to the coming season.

Personal Fitness - I exercise almost daily. Been doing it since high school.
+1 for scuba diving. Nearly 500 dives so far. Took a submarine tour in the Bahamas and decided I wanted to try diving. I wasn't good at it. But I've persevered and now dive on a few trips each year. It's soul replenishing.

scubadiver

Post by scubadiver » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:41 pm

JediMisty wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:59 pm
scubadiver wrote:
Scubadiving - I picked this up when my then girlfriend (now wife) and her father introduced me to it. Been inactive in recent years but will be getting back in the water soon as our oldest is pursuing a junior scuba certification.

Skiing - In past years this was limited to a one week annual ski trip. Due to a recent relocation, this is something the family has done on a regular basis. Last season was a lot of fun as I watched my daughter progress from just barely skiing greens to doing diamonds. Looking forward to the coming season.

+1 for scuba diving. Nearly 500 dives so far. Took a submarine tour in the Bahamas and decided I wanted to try diving. I wasn't good at it. But I've persevered and now dive on a few trips each year. It's soul replenishing.
500 dives! Wow! Fortunately for me, I took the user name before anyone thought to institute a bottom time threshold. :D

Asking since you appear to live in NJ....Have you done any wreck diving off the Jersey coast? I've been a couple myself but the Stolt is the only name I can recall right now. There's a nice scuba resort of sorts near Allentown PA called Dutch Springs. I would visit that a couple of times a season back when I lived in PA.

Will be taking my daughter diving in Mexico later this fall. Should be fun, not to mention warm, unlike that dive on the Stolt. (The Stolt was my inspiration for buying a drysuit). If things go well, I might even sneak in a cave dive while I'm there.

Chris001122

Post by Chris001122 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:44 pm

I'm a runner. I had to get better at it for Air Force training. I've had a love hate relationship with it, but I have high cholesterol so the running helps keep it lower. I like to enter a race now and then. I like nice trails with scenery, wild life and saying hello to a fellow runner from time to time. I can also listen to music and think about whatever I want when I run.
"It's always been a mistake to bet against the United States since 1776." - Warren Buffett

Basis

Post by Basis » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:34 pm

Electric RC cars. It started in junior high in the late 1980’s when I saw my first RC Car Action magazine on a drugstore rack of rags. It had glossy photos of dirt flying off tires and adults holding big trophies (apparently won by racing remote controlled cars for a living!). The magazine could’ve been written in French - a true language challenge for me - with lots of lingo and new vocabulary - perhaps the way newbies at Bogleheads feel about some of the financial acronyms thrown around here...?

In my youth, all the kits were store bought and unassembled. You’d shake the kit box and it would sound like the kit was “broken.” You made each car from a hundred little black screws, millimeter plastic pieces, and electric motors with mechanical speed controls. Radio receivers and chargers and batteries were all purchased separately. Just to build the car was a feat.

I bought a Kyosho Ultimate kit after learning as much as I could from those magazines for a few months. I brought it home and my father shook his head. I could tell he didn’t think I could build it.

I built it with a friend’s help, all the while marveling at the thirty page broken English instruction manual written by Japanese engineers. When the manual writers didn’t know an English word, a friendly cartoon Japanese face would point to a car part as a reference and the cartoon would indicate where the piece should go.

And when we finished, it ran. Few things have made me as proud as the moment I saw the wheels turn that car around the yard and up the driveway.

Over a year or so, it ran, it broke, and I fixed it. I always found the wrenching more satisfying than the driving. I still do.

Today, 45 years old, I confess I’m a tad embarrassed when I drive them through the ‘hood without my kids and a neighbor asks where my children are. But the cars always take me back. They remind me of what I can do when I put my mind to something and work hard at it. RC cars just happen to be my “it.”
You see what you know.

Ruger

Post by Ruger » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:16 pm

Competitive shooting. Mostly handguns, but an occasional 2 gun (hand gun and rifle) or 3 gun (add in a shotgun).
Got started in it when we moved to the country and decided to purchase handguns for self protection since calling the sheriff could involve quite a wait before they showed up. Decided I really liked shooting and got involved in the shooting sports.

JediMisty

Post by JediMisty » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:44 am

scubadiver wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:41 pm
JediMisty wrote:
scubadiver wrote:

500 dives! Wow! Fortunately for me, I took the user name before anyone thought to institute a bottom time threshold. :D

Asking since you appear to live in NJ....Have you done any wreck diving off the Jersey coast? I've been a couple myself but the Stolt is the only name I can recall right now. There's a nice scuba resort of sorts near Allentown PA called Dutch Springs. I would visit that a couple of times a season back when I lived in PA.

I dove in Dutch Springs exactly 4 times over one weekend. You guessed it - my checkout dives for my certification. That was 1996. Hated the cold water and lack of vis. Never dove there again. Absent a gun to my head, will never dive there again. Not a wreck diver in general and the NJ coast is too cold for me.

Will be taking my daughter diving in Mexico later this fall. Should be fun, not to mention warm, unlike that dive on the Stolt. (The Stolt was my inspiration for buying a drysuit). If things go well, I might even sneak in a cave dive while I'm there.
I love Cozumel and have spent many a happy vacation there. It's not generally a good spot for beginners as the current can be fierce. Going back in October. When I retire, will most likely spend longer vacations there. Maybe even rent for a year or two.

My son hasn't learned to dive, although I did take him to Cozumel a few times. The last time he snorkeled and we had a great day together doing that. I hired a photographer/snorkel guide and got great photos of him/us.

If you go to Cozumel, I'll be happy to share my knowledge of accommodations and dive operations. There's folks there you can hire for individual attention. They are gypsies on some of the boats. You get you own guide for just a little more than you would pay to be on the boat with a guide that people share. (the boat charges them a wholesale rate for you and they pocket the difference between that and the retail rate you pay them. You also tip generously.) People in Cozumel work hard for the money and are quite good to tourists.

I also have a good working knowledge of a few other islands, though not as much as I know about Cozumel. :sharebeer

JediMisty

Post by JediMisty » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:50 am

scubadiver wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:41 pm
JediMisty wrote:
scubadiver wrote:

I did this poorly an lost some of my answers. :oops: I have only dove Dutch Springs for my 4 check out dives for my certification back in 1996. I haven't been diving there since. I'm not much on wreck dives or cold water, so have shied away from the NJ coast. Went to Brielle when my (now ex) fiance was getting certified to watch over him from the shore. IT didn't look like fun to me getting in and out of the surf in dive gear. Once when shore diving in Bonaire I got hit my a wave and ended up on my back in full gear. Luckily, quick thinking divers nearby grabbed me. LOL. I switched to a small tank for the rest of the trip. At 5'2" and 110 pounds, a regular tank is more air than I have to have anyway. 8-)

AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:21 am

I have had a number of hobbies over the years, but none ever stuck for more than a few years. This has left me with a very strange assortment of leftover gear — wetsuit, guns, helmet, crampons, etc — that I will probably never use again.

The only hobby/mental illness that has stuck for me is business. Really, marketing. I love marketing. I’m a junkie. I go to seminars, collect books, subscribe to newsletters, etc. I became an expert in my professional field so that I could have something to market. I’ve started businesses — most of them abject failures — just to have something to market. I’m not good working with other people, and suck as a leader/manager, so building a large enterprise was never in the cards for me, but I’ve managed to do OK for myself via marketing prowess.

It’s almost a compulsion, like another poster said about poker.
“Life doesn’t come with a warranty.” -Michael LeBoeuf

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:31 am

AerialWombat wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:21 am
I have had a number of hobbies over the years, but none ever stuck for more than a few years. This has left me with a very strange assortment of leftover gear — wetsuit, guns, helmet, crampons, etc — that I will probably never use again.

The only hobby/mental illness that has stuck for me is business. Really, marketing. I love marketing. I’m a junkie. I go to seminars, collect books, subscribe to newsletters, etc. I became an expert in my professional field so that I could have something to market. I’ve started businesses — most of them abject failures — just to have something to market. I’m not good working with other people, and suck as a leader/manager, so building a large enterprise was never in the cards for me, but I’ve managed to do OK for myself via marketing prowess.

It’s almost a compulsion, like another poster said about poker.
Marketing + a love for everything about small business success + brutal ambition + business and human instinct = a formidable combination of traits to accumulate wealth.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

KSOC

Post by KSOC » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:41 am

My current physical condition has limited my past physical hobbies. But some passive things I have enjoyed for decades have now become hobbies.
Cooking - All food types, but Tex-Mex & Asian has been become my new focus. My wife is not on board with this.
Trains - I've always loved trains & check Amtrak schedules frequently so I can been in position to be up close & feel the power.
Baseball - Just love the game.
Travel - Hills, steps & hotel bathtubs are now obstacles but I still love to go - anywhere!
Stars - Not a good night sky where I live. Mostly visible are the brighter planets. Goal is to see the Milky Way. Recently out west for nine nights & not one clear night. Great trip over all but genuinely disappointed with this.
Too soon old, too late smart.

dziuniek

Post by dziuniek » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:44 am

Currently... leveraged funds for fun (tm)(r).

Darn you hedgefundie!

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:47 am

A couple years ago, I added "snail mail global corresponding with fountain pens (vintage pens)" to my short list of rewarding pastimes. (yes, with resultant drive to improve handwriting and letter writing skills!)

A fellow "Boglehead" introduced me to the previously unknown pastime.

Fountain Pen Network (and forum)
http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/

j :happy

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:53 am

Ruger wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:16 pm
Competitive shooting. Mostly handguns, but an occasional 2 gun (hand gun and rifle) or 3 gun (add in a shotgun).
Got started in it when we moved to the country and decided to purchase handguns for self protection since calling the sheriff could involve quite a wait before they showed up. Decided I really liked shooting and got involved in the shooting sports.
Yes.
This is a rewarding (sometimes misunderstood) international sport that calls for skills and regular training to excel.
BITD (back in the day), I started with competitive NRA Bullseye (Olympic Sport type) ,
then IPSC and IDPA when it became popular.
The highest classification I was able to achieve was "B" class. However, many years ago, failing eyesight and physicality (aging) prevented me from continuing at a decent competitive level.
Have fun!!!!
j :D

AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:14 pm

Sandtrap wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:53 am
Ruger wrote:
Yes.
This is a rewarding (sometimes misunderstood) international sport that calls for skills and regular training to excel.
BITD (back in the day), I started with competitive NRA Bullseye (Olympic Sport type) ,
The highest classification I was able to achieve was "B" class. However, many years ago, failing eyesight and physicality (aging) prevented me from continuing at a decent competitive level.
Have fun!!!!
Interesting to see such a thing on BH. I used to shoot 3Gun, IPSC, and Rapid Fire Pistol (Olympic event). Trained briefly at USA Shooting in Colorado Springs and tried out for 2012 US Team, but Keith Sanderson is an amazing shooter and impossible to displace.
“Life doesn’t come with a warranty.” -Michael LeBoeuf

Quirkz

Post by Quirkz » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:42 pm

Current hobbies include:

- Disc Golf: all the fun of ball golf, except it's basically free. ($60 for a few disc can last you a decade). Playing is a literal walk in the park. You can play by yourself or with friends.

- I write books. I'd honestly love to call this a side business instead of a hobby, but I'm deep in the red with this journey. Most of that was my first book where I overpaid for everything. I've learned how to make the later books very inexpensive, and a couple of them have been slightly profitable. I tell myself I could be doing other more effective things with my time, but half an hour later I find myself writing ideas down. I think it's just something I'll always do.

- Bowling. Hiking. Reading. Computer games.

- Occasional programming projects. Mostly just for personal fun and curiosity, though I did run an online computer game for about four years.

Former hobbies: scuba diving, archery, home brewing, latch hook, ultimate frisbee.

AerialWombat wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:21 am
I love marketing. I’m a junkie. I go to seminars, collect books, subscribe to newsletters, etc. I became an expert in my professional field so that I could have something to market. I’ve started businesses — most of them abject failures — just to have something to market. I’m not good working with other people, and suck as a leader/manager, so building a large enterprise was never in the cards for me, but I’ve managed to do OK for myself via marketing prowess.
I'm sure this is a valuable talent. I'm the exact opposite. I've got an entrepreneurial streak and am happy to deal with nearly every aspect of the business, but marketing is an unbearable chore that I simply cannot figure out.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:21 pm

Filetmerlot wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:47 pm
One that is taking up a lot of time now is beekeeping. My 8 y/o son and i just got an extractor. last year, our first year, we harvested by hand and it took a long time and was messy. This year we have 2 colonies and have harvested 40 #s of honey and that was barely the beginning. Will probably get another 50 or 60 by seasons end. Unfortunately i only bought 6oz honey bears to fill so now i have over 100 bottles in the cellar more honey than i know what to do with. My son wants to sell it and give a bunch of the proceeds to charity. We are encouraging that but i don’t know the first thing about starting a small business. There is only so much that the neighbors will buy before they have too much themselves. We want him to do some of the legwork like actually asking if someone wants to buy some instead of me saying “my young son is selling honey he harvested will you buy some”. I guess my new hobby is going to be figuring out how to start a small/micro business
My parents started with a couple colonies and grew a small business that included about 200 colonies. As they were ramping up, they started selling their honey at craft shows and farmer's market events and then gradually ramped it up to include grocery stores in a 60 mile radius. They didn't enjoy it as much when they got to the grocery store side of the business as it was a lot more time consuming. Eventually they sold their business which really wasn't worth much except for the extraction equipment and the bees which were bought by a pollinating business. Although they made decent money selling it at small events, selling to grocery stores wasn't a huge income generator because most people in grocery stores are shopping by price and not by local to the area.

Besides raw honey, they also sold comb honey and wax candles made from the wax separated from the cappings in the extraction process.

RubyTuesday

Post by RubyTuesday » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:18 pm

Golf - daily walk 9 holes.

Mandolin - mostly bluegrass, old time fiddle tunes, and some jazz.

Photography- this is relatively new hobby. Mostly wildlife, some street, and trying astrophotography soon.

Games - mostly iPad games (Clash of Clans, Clash Royale, PUBG Mobile)

Lockpicking - always wanted to know how locks work so decided to learn to pick

Motorcycles- this is a latent hobby as I haven’t ridden in several years but have a couple of bikes in garage

Several hobbies queued up for later - blacksmithing, wood working

(Re)Learning Spanish

RT

GCD

Post by GCD » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:29 am

Sandtrap wrote:
BITD (back in the day), I started with competitive NRA Bullseye (Olympic Sport type), then IPSC and IDPA when it became popular.
You need to take up bullseye again and get a good pair of glasses from an optometrist that specializes in athletes and different focal points. Obviously shooting bullseye eliminates all the running, going prone, kneeling and leaning around barricades etc. that is present in IDPA and IPSC. I saw a legit 30 point improvement on my bullseye scores when shooting with proper glasses.

Since bullseye is one of my hobbies I have been able to track my vision decline very precisely since the age of 40. It's been 1-2 points per year. After 14 years that adds up! I had all kinds of trouble with my vision and glasses helped, but never really fixed it. I don't wear glasses daily, only for reading and then only if settling in for a long session with a book or something. I finally went to an optometrist that specialized in athletes. He's the team doctor for several professional teams in the DC area. He was exasperated when I explained my issue to him because he thought any optometrist should have been able to handle it. He claimed they were just being lazy. As bullseye shooters we actually have a simple problem in that the focal point we need is always the same: extended arm length + pistol length = distance to front sight. Since we are standing still it is possible for the doc to come up with a much more precise prescription than if you were in a more mobile sport.

Obviously these glasses will be sport specific and useless for anything else. This guy got them so dead on that they are not as good when I shoot isosceles as when I shoot in a traditional BE position with arm extended straight out to the side (as designed). This is where you can see the vast improvement since you are in one static position in BE. You don't need a prescription that covers a range of shooting positions and guns, just one specific position and 1 or 2 guns.

Seek out an athletic oriented optometrist. Good luck!

(On the West Coast Norman Wong would kind of be the ideal guy to use: https://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/nw ... guide.html)

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:44 am

GCD wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:29 am
. . . . .
. . . .
Thanks a lot for the tips.
Yes. I did go back to indoor Bullseye for awhile as a senior but am no longer able to do it comfortably due to physicl issues. I like the slow pace and high mental focus and calmness required. It was a good run. Now, onward to other rewarding things.

Thanks again,
Aloha
jim
Last edited by Sandtrap on Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

mapleosb

Post by mapleosb » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:22 am

From Spring to fall, flying RC planes with a great group of retirees and others. Started at 65, but would definitely recommend earlier, when you can "see" much better!! :D

During the winter, weaving on my loom, especially fun to do while watching the snow fall down outside the window.

Ruger

Post by Ruger » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:04 am

Sandtrap wrote:
Ruger wrote:
Yes.
Have fun!!!!
I started out in Bullseye shooting and currently shoot IDPA and IPSC/USPSA. I love IDPA, not so much USPSA but do it for occasional fun. Just shot a steel match today, those are my favorites. Yes, my bad near vision and arthritis limit my abilities now but I don't care. I still do the best I can, still enjoy it.

Ruger

Post by Ruger » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:06 am

"B" class is good! I'm only a C in USPSA production class, but since I didn't even start it until I was 63, I'm happy with that.

Ruger

Post by Ruger » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:17 am

GCD wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:29 am
Sandtrap wrote:
BITD (back in the day), I started with competitive NRA Bullseye (Olympic Sport type), then IPSC and IDPA when it became popular.
You need to take up bullseye again and get a good pair of glasses from an optometrist that specializes in athletes and different focal points. Obviously shooting bullseye eliminates all the running, going prone, kneeling and leaning around barricades etc. that is present in IDPA and IPSC. I saw a legit 30 point improvement on my bullseye scores when shooting with proper glasses.

Since bullseye is one of my hobbies I have been able to track my vision decline very precisely since the age of 40. It's been 1-2 points per year. After 14 years that adds up! I had all kinds of trouble with my vision and glasses helped, but never really fixed it. I don't wear glasses daily, only for reading and then only if settling in for a long session with a book or something. I finally went to an optometrist that specialized in athletes. He's the team doctor for several professional teams in the DC area. He was exasperated when I explained my issue to him because he thought any optometrist should have been able to handle it. He claimed they were just being lazy. As bullseye shooters we actually have a simple problem in that the focal point we need is always the same: extended arm length + pistol length = distance to front sight. Since we are standing still it is possible for the doc to come up with a much more precise prescription than if you were in a more mobile sport.

Obviously these glasses will be sport specific and useless for anything else. This guy got them so dead on that they are not as good when I shoot isosceles as when I shoot in a traditional BE position with arm extended straight out to the side (as designed). This is where you can see the vast improvement since you are in one static position in BE. You don't need a prescription that covers a range of shooting positions and guns, just one specific position and 1 or 2 guns.

(On the West Coast Norman Wong would kind of be the ideal guy to use: https://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/nw ... guide.html)
I'm a retired optometrist, and used to have shooters coming in complaining about the front sight no longer being visible. I wear a contact in my left eye (my dominant eye for shooting, otherwise I wear it in my non-dominant right eye) set for the distance of the front sight. Works fairly well, although I would much prefer to have my younger eye sight back! For Bullseye I switched over to a red dot, everyone is using them, even the youngsters. I actually prefer iron sights, but find the red dots are great for Bullseye and Speed Steel. One issue I have with Bullseye is that I am right handed but left eyed. I shoot it isosceles because it I do it the traditional way with the right arm extended out, I have to crank my head around to see the sights with my left eye, and end up with a neck ache and a head ache. People used to try to tell me I was doing it wrong, but would back off once they could see I knew what I was doing, lol.

GCD

Post by GCD » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:11 am

Ruger wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:17 am
For Bullseye I switched over to a red dot, everyone is using them, even the youngsters. I actually prefer iron sights, but find the red dots are great for Bullseye and Speed Steel.
I despise red dots. I think they were just invented for people who can't learn to shoot with irons. Probably what grumpy old men said about automatic transmissions when they first came out. 20 years from now it will be a lost art, just like driving a stick is a lost art to a millennial.

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Post by Taylor Larimore » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:30 pm

What is your hobby?
Sailing
How did it come to be your hobby?
The 1935 hurricane blew a small sailboat into our backyard.

I retired at the age of 57, earned a Coast Guard Captain's License, and turned my hobby into a career teaching sailing and delivering boats in the U.S. and abroad.

Best wishes.
Taylor
Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom: "Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

rennale

Post by rennale » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:22 pm

Bee keeping.
- It was just something that I was always curious about. I started this year. Absolutely fascinating. A hobby that is both easy and difficult at the same time. Hives are simple to install and mostly look after themselves, but, wow, the complexities of keeping the bees alive and healthy soon become apparent. The first year is clearly a money losing operation (due to having to buy the hive(s) and equipment) but, hopefully, in future years I'll bore or thrill my friends with gifts of honey and be financially sweet.

Restoring a vintage car.
- An interest started while a teenager. Not as bad as a boat, I suspect, but nevertheless provides excellent opportunities to deplete your financial reserves. But old cars are so much fun to drive!

Collecting Georgian English silver tableware.
- Came to be a hobby after inheriting the shabby remnants of my parents' silver collection (they'd sold or lost most of it over the years) and, from a position of total disinterest, suddenly appreciating that a lot of it is astonishingly beautiful. It's surprisingly practical to use on a daily basis and makes stainless steel seem like plastic. Sterling silver and sterling currency share, surprise, surprise, an intimate history going back (at least) to the 15th century and the days before banks.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:56 pm

Taylor Larimore wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:30 pm
What is your hobby?
Sailing
How did it come to be your hobby?
The 1935 hurricane blew a small sailboat into our backyard.

I retired at the age of 57, earned a Coast Guard Captain's License, and turned my hobby into a career teaching sailing and delivering boats in the U.S. and abroad.

Best wishes.
Taylor
Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom: "Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."
Incredible story Taylor! To turn a hobby into another career is awesome! What places dd you deliver boats to?
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!"

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Post by Taylor Larimore » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:08 pm

abuss368 wrote:Incredible story Taylor! To turn a hobby into another career is awesome! What places did you deliver boats to?
abuss368:

I delivered sail and motor boats from Miami to NY, the Bahamas and Carribbean. My longest delivery (I was crew) was from Dublin Ireland to the Canary Islands aboard a SWAN 61.

It was a wonderful time in my life, especially when I could bring along my wife.

Best wishes.
Taylor
Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom: "For me, simplicity has always been the key to successful investing."
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

magazinewriter

Post by magazinewriter » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:19 pm

RollTide31457 wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:21 am
Alabama football. Best vacation days are spent traveling to Tide games. Best people, best food and best football.
Last week I attended an Alabama-themed Celebration of Life for a neighbor and I must say it was the most upbeat, least sad passing I’ve ever attended. This was in Florida. The widow and many family members wore Alabama t-shirts. Even the minister wore an Alabama shirt provided by the family. The man’s daughter gave a funny and moving speech about her dad, finishing with a quote from Coach Bear Bryant something about in order to enter the pearly gates, you have to know the password: Roll, Tide, Roll. We all in the congregation repeated it, Roll Tide, Roll.

The man, 80, had a great life and a wonderful family. Funny that he was born in Alabama but didn’t attend the school (Marines then Rollins College) but was a lifelong fan.

As a UF Gator I can’t say I’ve had a lot of fond Alabama memories but this will be one.

magazinewriter

Post by magazinewriter » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:27 pm

My primary hobby is genealogy/family history. We have a very active genealogy club in my area. Two of my recent vacations, to England and Canada, revolved around visiting places my ancestors lived. I’ve traced my grandparents on mom’s side to England (1850s emigrated to the U.S.) and Canada (New Brunswick and Quebec, 1880s). On dad’s side my grandmother goes all the way back to the Massachusetts Bay Colony, 1635, and my grandfather (who died before I was born) emigrated from France in the 1880s. I love it.

I know only very basic French but hope to study and improve in the next year. Many genealogy documents and a family Bible are in French.

Hayden

Post by Hayden » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:03 pm

I take computer classes online (Coursera, edX, Udacity, Udemy). I'm enjoying Python, data science, and machine learning now. I don't know if I'll do anything with it, but I'm enjoying learning how all the devices in my life (Alexa, etc) work.

ohai

Post by ohai » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:05 pm

I got cats because one day my wife was like, "I'm getting a cat".

rai

Post by rai » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:18 pm

I collect pinball machines. That’s not to say just collect pinball machines like someone would collect stamps or baseball cards but I also play the pins. If wasn’t for the fun of playing I wouldn’t bother. I grew up as a teenager in the 70s and played pinball in arcades but didn’t really play that much. I had a neighbor who’s father had one old EM pin but didn’t know that collecting pinball was a thing. Then in the early 2000s my brother in law had a pinball machine in his house I didn’t know much about them and that they were still making pins but I started with some older pins from the 90s and gradually adding and changing pins. Now I own 13 and counting.

I’m also into fantasy football been playing for almost 30 years.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans" - John Lennon. | | "You say that money, isn't everything | But I'd like to see you live without it." - Silverchair

CherylHall

Post by CherylHall » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:30 am

I do agility with my dog - agility is when the dog and the person run an obstacle course together. Courses are judged for speed and accuracy. The persons job is to navigate the course and give the information/instruction to the dog while running. My dog LOVES it. We also do scent work where the dog finds hidden scents in containers, vehicles, exteriors and buried and when they find the scent the dog gets rewarded. My dog LOVES that too! Keeps me in shape and learning!

LittleMaggieMae

Post by LittleMaggieMae » Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:23 pm

DragonJoey3 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:15 pm
I have 3 hobbies:
  • Dungeon and Dragons
  • Chess
  • Board/Card Games
Of these the one that takes the most time/money and effort is by far Dungeon's and Dragons. It's a very fun game/hobby to get into.
I, too, play D&D but it's not that expensive, since I'm still playing a homebrew version of 2.0. I've also played 3.5 (and bought the basic books) with another group but I couldn't keep up with new books and whatnot. I started playing 5.0 (the starter set) with a newbie group and have bought the basic books - my 2.0 group is interested in moving into the 21st century, so I'll probably be playing 5.0 (based on just 3 rule books) with them which might become "homebrew" as well. :) My core groups don't tend to buy much beyond the basic rule books Been playing since the early 80's - and it's always good storytelling, laughter and a side of food. :)

I play other RPGs as well (Ars Magica, and dabble in the Savage Worlds).

I also play board/card games and that's were my expense is.

Other hobbies:
Cooking (I solar cook and like to try new recipes. I do new recipes using non-solar cooking appliances, too.)
Opera/musicals/theater - season tickets are by far my biggest entertainment expense.
Crochet/knit - (I'm not very good - so I buy "cheap yarn".)
Canning (started a few years ago - recently pickled garlic scapes.)

None of my hobbies produces a marketable product at this point but they all provide me much joy and adventure. :)

Ruger

Post by Ruger » Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:29 pm

GCD wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:11 am
Ruger wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:17 am
For Bullseye I switched over to a red dot, everyone is using them, even the youngsters. I actually prefer iron sights, but find the red dots are great for Bullseye and Speed Steel.
I despise red dots. I think they were just invented for people who can't learn to shoot with irons. Probably what grumpy old men said about automatic transmissions when they first came out. 20 years from now it will be a lost art, just like driving a stick is a lost art to a millennial.
I only use them in speed steel and bullseye, otherwise I prefer iron sights. I tried carry optics and didn't care for it. But using a red dot does take some practice and skill. If you can aim a red dot, you should be able to aim with irons. Only advantage is you can pick up the dot faster.

lostdog

Post by lostdog » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:33 am

Biking, kayaking, golfing, physical fitness, mental fitness, gaming, learning to code, fishing and of course personal finance.

harrychan

Post by harrychan » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:03 am

Aquariums specifically aqua-scaping planted tanks.

I've always had aquariums (salt water and fresh water) growing up as it was my father's hobby. A few years ago, I came across a craigslist or facebook ad of someone nearby who was upgrading their tank and was selling their setup of tank, filter, LED light and matching stand for $80! Aquascaping has a suprisingly low start up cost compared with other hobbies and it can be very rewarding when you see plants and fish all flourishing. I do weekly maintenance but you can set up your tank to however you like including zero maintenance tanks. Read up on Walstad method.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.