What is your hobby and how did it come to be your hobby?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
keepingitsimple

What is your hobby and how did it come to be your hobby?

Post by keepingitsimple » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:39 pm

I’m looking for a new hobby and am curious as to what other Bogleheads have chosen, as well as how it came to be.

Sandtrap

Re: What is your hobby and how did it come to be your hobby?

Post by Sandtrap » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:44 pm

Your hobby or passion chooses you. Once taken hold you would rather not do Anything else. :sharebeer
Last edited by Sandtrap on Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

Andyrunner

Post by Andyrunner » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:47 pm

Current big one is cycling. I was always a runner and got some injuries that don't seem to get better so I bought a bike after some convincing of a friend. Riding it is just one part of it all, working/maintaining it is a good part of it, getting a different bike or tires for the different conditions, looking at the latest components, seeing the new models & trends, the types of bikes the next one your going to buy, etc.

My wife complains it is starting to get expensive but then I remind her my friend's latest hobby is taking apart thousand dollar watches.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:59 pm

Homebrewing. My wife said I needed a hobby that I could do by myself when we retired. 7 years in, we retire in 2.
Last edited by RickBoglehead on Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:02 pm

Gardening - when my kids were a baby, I need something to keep me occupying while they were asleep. I didn’t watch tv, between reading newspaper, I also did some gardening.

Painting - I always like to take classes in arts, my kids were younger it was ceramics, now it’s painting. It meshes well with my travel interest, I paint my travel pictures. Of course they always turn out better than the real pictures. That’s why I paint, lol.

Playing bridge - my husband likes to play this in retirement, so we took class together, I knew zero about bridge, now after two years, I’m a pro, lol. That and play bridge online daily.

Pickleball - I always do some sports when I was younger, first it was tennis, then badmington, now it’s pickleball.

Photography - I took a black and white photography class in college. After college, when I had a bit more money, I used to go to Hollywood and rent a place with all the equipment there to do still life photography. I might get back to this somehow.

Sailing - I met somebody at a beach in Plymouth, MA, got some free sailing, then when I moved to California, I took the sailing class and did enjoy it. Lately my husband and I are thinking of getting back to this, we both enjoy sailing, we live near where we can join a club. It’s a matter of finding time to fit this activity.

Swimming - back problem makes me gravitate toward swimming my whole life, but I’m also a water baby and a beach bum. That may explains my interest.

Basically I suggest to try and sign up for classes to see if you like it or not.
Last edited by DrGoogle2017 on Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:16 pm, edited 5 times in total.

ohai

Post by ohai » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:04 pm

My "hobby" is taking care of cats, since my wife got cats.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:08 pm

Wood working took hold of me and now it consumes me. I mostly build wood furniture these days but also do quite a bit of carpentry type wood working.

Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:08 pm

fantasy baseball, used to play baseball up until college

zimmer0

Post by zimmer0 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:13 pm

fishing, kayak fishing in particular...bc owning a power boat is expensive.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:13 pm

Birding. We started in 2007 doing some volunteer surveying at an Audubon property. Met quite a few area birders and naturalists.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

DragonJoey3

Post by DragonJoey3 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:15 pm

I have 3 hobbies:
  • Dungeon and Dragons
  • Chess
  • Board/Card Games
Of these the one that takes the most time/money and effort is by far Dungeon's and Dragons. It's a very fun game/hobby to get into.

Summit111

Post by Summit111 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:18 pm

Saw The Beatles on the Ed Sullivan show when I was a kid. I always wanted to be like Ringo. My mother insisted I take music lessons in elementary and high school. Played very amateur music in high school and early college. Gave it up while raising a family. One day my daughter saw a picture of me playing in a 1960’s Rock ‘n’ roll band. She immediately asked if we could get a set of drums so that she could learn.

Several months later a friend stopped by and saw the drums. He was an amateur guitar player. So, musicians are like dogs, they tend to form packs. Now, years later I play in several professional bands... it’s become a lot of fun in my retirement years. In fact all of the musicians I play with except for the true professionals, are retired from other industries.

I play in several bands, including dance music, and Jazz groups... We have a home studio, where we rehearse, socialize, and have a few beers. We get more calls to play for money than we have time for... it’s been a lot of fun, and played venues I never dreamed I would have appeared in, and with musicians much better than me....

My Avatar is Fats Domino....

Summit
“Got my mind on my money, and my money on my mind!” Snoop Dog

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:24 pm

Hand weaving. I hadn’t done much for years, but am in process of setting up the loom room. I don’t make anything extraordinary but I enjoy the process.

I like craft shows. One of my favorite people was a woman who makes gorgeous colorful rugs. I saw her looms during an open house — they were huge! When I fogured out that small looms existed, I started to learn and bought/sold various looms. What I have now suits me well.

Elsebet

Post by Elsebet » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:43 pm

My two consistent hobbies would be video games and gardening. Video games I started at a very young age, my two older brothers had an Atari and I practically begged them to play it or played when they were not home. From there I went graduated to an NES and SNES, then got a PC and never really went back to consoles. I got into computers and got into IT for my occupation, so it was a financially useful hobby. :)

Vegetable gardening was something my father did when I was a kid and I liked helping him, but he stopped gardening as he got older. When I bought my first house in 1998 I put two small beds in and have been gardening ever since to some extent.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca

BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:59 pm

Obtained an amateur radio license in 1965 (electronics had interested me since I was 8 y/o). That was my primary hobby until 1979 when I got my first computer (to use with the ham radio instead of a noisy teletype machine). Quickly, computers - particularly programming - has largely replaced ham radio. The domination of man over machine is quite seductive.

Spent my career in healthcare.
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect

krmann

Post by krmann » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:05 pm

Soon after I retired I started blogging - specifically about the city in which I live. I blog about a variety of topics - restaurants, public art, local landmarks, plays, concerts, etc. I keep busy gathering "material" for my blog posts by eating out, going to concerts and plays, etc. It works for me - although I should add that it is not inexpensive to maintain a website.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:17 pm

keepingitsimple wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:39 pm
I’m looking for a new hobby and am curious as to what other Bogleheads have chosen, as well as how it came to be.
Vegetable garden: Had no intentions of doing it until we bought a house with a few raised beds already in place. "why not throw some plants in and see what grows" Double the bed space, drip irrigation, a mini orchard and chicken coop and 8 years later we moved to a new house and got to build a garden/mini orchard/chicken coop from the ground up.

Kayaking: With our new house we could be in some prime salmon fishing and crabbing grounds less than half an hour from walking the kayaks out of our garage. Staying landlocked was not an option as soon as I realized we could be on the water without even having to drive. Currently looking to upgrade our nicer than average recreational sit ins to nice touring kayaks.

Foredeck

Post by Foredeck » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:52 pm

Handful of hobbies.

Sailing - Reconnected with sailing back in 2015. A friend was interested in learning and took the American Sailing Association classes, (101, 103, 104). Also started racing with a local yacht club. Everyone was very helpful and friendly.

Listening to music - Listening my way through the entire works of Antonín Dvořák's. Listen to records. Hoping to take beginner piano classes soon.

Cooking - was forced to learn to cook as a kid. As I became an adult I really enjoyed cooking for fun.

Learning new skills - personality trait. Love learning.
Last edited by Foredeck on Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cherijoh

Post by cherijoh » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:53 pm

keepingitsimple wrote:
My hobbies are travel and photography. My travel interest started in college when I did a school year abroard in Vienna. Lots of school breaks and cheap train tickets.

I always had an artistic bent, but not much talent for drawing or painting. I gave up on pottery when almost everything I tried exploded in the kiln (this was back in junior high art class). I had a cheapo instamatic camera when I was in college, but when the good point and shoot cameras came out, I got hooked. I've been told I have a good eye for composition and creating atmosphere, so that satisfies my artistic leanings.

Now years later, I have several walls at home with framed and enlarged photos from my travel adventures - mostly, architectual and nature photos. It keeps the trips fresh in my mind and takes care of the need for artwork on my walls. :wink: I have actually had several handymen and repair people ask if I had visited all those places. They always seem surprised when I tell them I took all the photos. And friends actually ask to see my vacation pix when I go somewhere interesting!

Topic Author
keepingitsimple

Post by keepingitsimple » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:37 pm

Many thanks to all that have responded, I've found the responses a most interesting read.

I've had varying hobbies in the past but my interest in most has run its course, hence my search for something new. I guess I'm looking for something (as Sandtrap stated) I like doing so well that I would rather not do anything else. Thank you again for all the input. :D

Phineas J. Whoopee

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:42 pm

I direct Shakespeare plays. How it came to be is too long to relate.

It's a hobby because I seldom get paid very much.

PJW

sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:44 pm

Multiple, besides the Bogleheads addiction...
-Bicycling: 15-30+ miles per day. Keeps me fit, and makes me feel like a kid again!
-Audiophile: High End system with electrostatic speakers. Got the bug making mix tapes in 60's and 70's.
-Table Tennis: Played in college. Just started playing again at local Rec Center.
-Pickleball: DW just started playing with her friends. Convinced me to try it... so far so good (as long as it doesn't ruin my Table Tennis game). :D
Retired 2018 | ~50/45/5 (partially sliced and diced)

Starfish

Post by Starfish » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:45 pm

I have pages of hobbies.
Some I have never tried.

Calico

Post by Calico » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:45 pm

DragonJoey3 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:15 pm
I have 3 hobbies:
  • Dungeon and Dragons
  • Chess
  • Board/Card Games
Of these the one that takes the most time/money and effort is by far Dungeon's and Dragons. It's a very fun game/hobby to get into.
I play D&D too. I've spent a small fortune on books and Herolab. haha. But is social and so much fun.

My other hobbies include
  • coin collecting (American silver coins of the early 20th Century)
  • swimming and scuba diving (although I don't dive much any more. Not in the past four years and I sold all my gear. Not sure if I should count it anymore. I still ocean swim and pool swim though.
  • baking cookies (I enjoy baking all kinds of cookies. Mainly for my D&D group)
  • being a band mom. I help so much with my daughter's marching band that it should count as a hobby.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:39 pm

Lifting heavy things, running fast, jumping high, riding bicycles fast, hiking big mountains... Been a competitive athlete virtually all my life. Baseball and wrestling as a kid. Football, baseball, and track in high school. Football in college, then powerlifting, then triathlons as an adult. No longer competing, but pushing our physical limits is a passion for both the wife and I. It is what we do choose to do with our very limited free time.

vectorizer

Post by vectorizer » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:04 pm

Amateur radio (aka "ham" radio). When I was a teenager, I was interested but had no money. Then college, career, kids left me with no time for intense hobbies. When the kids were grown, I had the money for it and more time, so I passed the test for my ham radio license. Really got hooked into the fun and challenge of operating a mobile radio station in contests. Just before I retired, I bought a (highly) used TV van, the ones you see at big events so reporters can broadcast stories live. I've been spending the last two retirement years slowly outfitting it to be competitive in ham contests.

The attraction for me is that it's all about physical electronics and is mechanically challenging, in contrast to my career in the virtual world of software security engineering.

Also like to ride my recumbent bicycle, on flat courses. I'm lucky that I happen to live near a nice paved trail that's great for both safe leisurely rides and distance training. Last year fulfilled a goal of finishing a 65-mile charity ride at age 60 from Philadelphia to Atlantic City -- which normally isn't too much of a big deal, except I'm a pretty heavy guy.

Hope you find your hobby passion(s).

investingdad

Post by investingdad » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:45 pm

Chess online
Some video gaming, but not much... started with Atari
Learning the violin

NCPE

Post by NCPE » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:50 pm

I have a variety of hobbies that wax and wane through out the year (They tend to keep me out of the bars and other undesirable places which makes the DW happy) :happy
  • Amateur radio - always had an interest in wireless communications, first got my license in the mid 1980's and was active for a few years before life got in the way, now that I am retired I have more time to get back into the hobby and am in the process of building my station back up
  • Ornamental Ironworking (Blacksmithing). I enjoy making gifts for the family and friends and as a side benefit I get to relieve my frustrations by beating a piece of steel into something useful or decorative.
  • Volunteering with the local Fire / Rescue Department - started out at 16 and still helping my neighbors 40+ years later.
  • Yard work - Again now that I am retired I have much more time to keep the yard looking like it should
Good luck on finding something that interest you !!!

NCPE

Tycoon

Post by Tycoon » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:53 pm

My main hobby is investing. The prospect of living off investments appealed to me so I took on the challenge.
Emotionless, prognostication free investing. Ignoring the noise and economists since 1979. Smart ≠ Rich. Rich ≠ Smart. Some are predisposed to consistently lose money. Don't be a sheep.

bck63

Post by bck63 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:06 pm

Sandtrap wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:44 pm
Your hobby or passion chooses you. Once taken hold you would rather not do Anything else. :sharebeer
This is true. Poker is my hobby. It chose me. I didn't choose it. I play because I need to, not so much because I want to. I mean, I want to, but it's a need.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:09 pm

bck63 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:06 pm
Sandtrap wrote:
This is true. Poker is my hobby. It chose me. I didn't choose it. I play because I need to, not so much because I want to. I mean, I want to, but it's a need.
That's an interesting use of the word "need".

trustquestioner

Post by trustquestioner » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:27 pm

Golf - played competitively through college, life long passion

Poker - got hooked in college, thankfully avoided turning “pro.”

Sports Betting - beatable with discipline, fun to research

Scenic Walks - helps avoid getting too fat

5th_Dimension

Post by 5th_Dimension » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:28 pm

Radio controlled sailplanes, for competitions and for fun. Someone bought me a cheap drone several years ago for Christmas and now I'm into the hobby for many thousands of dollars.
Sometimes I feel like I'm waltzing in a 4/4 world.

bck63

Post by bck63 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:29 pm

stoptothink wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:09 pm
bck63 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:06 pm
Sandtrap wrote:
That's an interesting use of the word "need".
Need, as in compulsion. Luckily I'm a good player, so it's a profitable compulsion. But a compulsion nonetheless.

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:34 pm

Coin collecting. I had a modest coin collection as a kid in the mid-70s and mostly forgot about it for many years. About 15 years ago, I decided to finish out my 1973 Topps Baseball card collection that I still had in a box from when I was 10 or so. I really enjoyed making a list of cards needed and hunting them down and filling out the collection. After that, I thought “that was fun, what else can I collect?”. So I started up my coin collection again, this time with a bigger bankroll to back it up. My two main sets are a 19th and 20th Century Type Set (one example coin of each type minted from 1800-2000 or so) and a high grade Lincoln Cent set going back to 1909 (one coin of each date and mintmark). I’ve also acquired a bunch of other miscellaneous over the years including a decent stash of Canadian and British coins.
Last edited by Kenkat on Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CyclingDuo

Post by CyclingDuo » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:53 pm

keepingitsimple wrote:
Mountain Biking & MTB Racing: Tore my first meniscus in 1999 while playing adult basketball. Surgery a few days later and before being released the next day, the Doctor said I needed to get on a bike to rehab. So they told me to start riding a bike ASAP. We lived on the edge of the Vienna Woods (a block away) at the time, so day one I made it about 1/2 mile up the steep hill into the woods before my knee and lungs gave out at the same time. Day two, I went up the hill a few hundred yards more than the previous day before running out of breath and my knee was throbbing. Each day I went a little deeper into the woods until I finally discovered a major network of mountain bike and hiking trails through the forest. Wow! Spectacular beauty, fresh air, and nature hit me all at once. I was hooked. So I bought my first new high end mountain bike in 2000 and have been at it for fun doing amateur racing, and riding my mountain bike all over ever since (Germany, France, Austria, Italy, Colorado, California, Utah, South Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, Missouri, Kansas, Arkansas, Texas, Nebraska, Wyoming, Montana, New Mexico, Oregon).

Golf: I've been playing for 47 years. I tend to play much less these days due to my aging body and the frustrations centered around the reality that I just can't jack it as far as I did when younger, but still enjoy getting some rounds in each season.

Road Biking: The majority of my time riding a bike as a hobby is spent riding on paved trails and roads throughout the countryside with my wife. Get about 350-400 hours a year in doing this. Started this hobby in 1977, so it's been going on for 42 years. Rides tend to end with the reward of an adult beverage (or two).

Edit: I could say snow skiing as that hobby populated much of my time between 1972 and 2018, but my wife hates the cold and snow - so this was the first season I did not ski. And I didn't really miss it. Time will tell if it has a future for me, but the cycling and golf are plenty.
Last edited by CyclingDuo on Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time." ~ Steven Wright

MP173

Post by MP173 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:50 pm

I "rent" a number of hobbies, usually seasonal based on the weather conditions. Among the hobbies:

Vegetable gardening - like many others on the forum, DW & I find it a great investment in time. My wife started it off 10 years ago with a small 4 x 8 raised plot. We are now up to around 700 sq ft. growing everything from garlic, fresh herbs, spinach, lettuce, peas, asparagus, pole beans, carrots, etc. Wife is now retired and is canning and freezing the harvest. Very relaxing and very productive.

Biking - this replaced running about 15 years ago. Absolutely love it during spring thru fall.

Astronomy - I have a 90mm ETX scope which I use to observe mainly double stars, open clusters, and other deep sky objects. I have been interested in this since HS. Observe primarily from backyard - last year 48 sessions.

Railroads - interested in the operations (and recent history) of the US freight railroads. I have been a railfan since HS.

Guitar - I play poorly, but it is a great winter activity. Keep learning a little more...interested in music theory. Also have dabbled with the bass guitar.

Weight lifting - until about a month ago...during winter months I would head to the gym when I couldnt bike outdoors. Would stationary bike and lift weights. Must have over worked this winter. Lots of pain issues I am working thru.

Collect certain items - railroad old timetables, maps, etc. Also collect slide rules and mechanical pencils from 50-75 years ago with advertising.

Several more but those are the main ones.

Ed

-ryan-

Post by -ryan- » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:05 pm

Summit111 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:18 pm
Saw The Beatles on the Ed Sullivan show when I was a kid. I always wanted to be like Ringo. My mother insisted I take music lessons in elementary and high school. Played very amateur music in high school and early college. Gave it up while raising a family. One day my daughter saw a picture of me playing in a 1960’s Rock ‘n’ roll band. She immediately asked if we could get a set of drums so that she could learn.

Several months later a friend stopped by and saw the drums. He was an amateur guitar player. So, musicians are like dogs, they tend to form packs. Now, years later I play in several professional bands... it’s become a lot of fun in my retirement years. In fact all of the musicians I play with except for the true professionals, are retired from other industries.

I play in several bands, including dance music, and Jazz groups... We have a home studio, where we rehearse, socialize, and have a few beers. We get more calls to play for money than we have time for... it’s been a lot of fun, and played venues I never dreamed I would have appeared in, and with musicians much better than me....

My Avatar is Fats Domino....

Summit
Awesome story! I'm a full-time drummer/private music teacher (I'm only 30 though, so while I love music I also need the income) and I have several students who are retirees and started later in life. They are finding it's never too late to get out and play!

mlebuf

Post by mlebuf » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:57 pm

Another Amateur Radio operator here. Got interested in 1956 when a story in one of the school readers was about a teenage ham who used his ham station sending Morse code to alert people about a dam that was about to break. The message was relayed and saved a lot of lives. Was first licensed in 1957 and stayed active until 1983. Put the hobby on the back burner to devote more time to a fledgling writing and speaking career. In late 2006 I decided to get back on the air and did so in January 2007. It's a wonderful, multi-faceted hobby and the past 12 years of hamming have been the best. To other hams who are interested in my interests, check out K5ML on QRZ.com.

Other activities I enjoy are cats and watching college football. We currently have 10 cats. My wife, Elke is very active in rescuing and placing lost and feral cats and kittens. Fortunately we have a large house that gives us all ample space and they are indoor cats. My radio shack is in a guesthouse in back of our main house, and General Lee is the shack cat. He's a cream colored, Flame Point Siamese mix with crystal blue eyes. He was totally feral and living on the street when Elke trapped him. About 18 months ago, Elke spent a month trying to feed and trap a starving, badly malnourished mother cat with 4 kittens. With persistence she succeeded. She placed the kittens in a shelter and they all found homes. We kept the mother, she was nursed to good health and she quickly became a super sweet pet. Inasmuch as she is a Lynx Point Siamese mix and we have General Lee, we named her, "Sara Lee."

I spend Saturdays in the fall glued to the TV watching college football and follow it year round. When watching football, there's no problem find a cat to keep me company. Life is good. :D
Best wishes, | Michael | | Invest your time actively and your money passively.

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:40 pm

Played guitar since university days. 40 years later it is the hobby I'll miss most if and when I have to give it up someday (arthritis). Always bought good quality used vintage instruments so as a hobby it has actually been slightly profitable over the years due to long term price appreciation of good vintage instruments.

Since retirement, casting about for a way to give back to the local community, I got involved in building houses for local Habitat for Humanity chapter. I provide my skilled to completely unskilled labor (depending on the task) 1-2 days a week. Building a entire house literally from the ground through completion to final hand off to the occupant is a great experience. The work is physically demanding, requires a high level of concentration and precision to do it right (and to not get hurt). Unexpected bonus - it is easy to get mindfully lost in the work, like a day long meditation session, and most of the time also a nice learning experience. And the other volunteers that I an lucky enough to work with (from all walks of life) are just fantastic.

Other primary hobbies filling up the week are pretty much all physical at this point (as long as my body holds up) - racquetball, pickle ball, table tennis, yoga, Pilates, weights and circuit training, etc.

We also participate in the local community garden and having good luck growing a significant part of our produce given the mild climate in our area.

toofache32

Post by toofache32 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:48 pm

zimmer0 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:13 pm
fishing, kayak fishing in particular...bc owning a power boat is expensive.
Mine is bass fishing out of a fiberglass boat. I was on Toledo Bend in Texas back in October, and it turns out I was there during the national KBF tournament. Amazing technology on these kayaks these days!

createplayact

Post by createplayact » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:07 pm

Music production: Hobby / side hustle. Don't have as much time for it anymore but back in the day I had a library of tracks being regularly used in TV/online commercials. Also did the intro music for two D1 university basketball teams. Submitted a second batch of tracks six months ago...we'll see how they do!

Board games: Don't think Monopoly so much as Dominion. Haven't played for a while but every so often we'll get some good games in.

Biking: Wife and I enjoy this with the kids.

Blogging / writing: Whenever I have spare moments I'll pull up Evernote or Google docs and work on something. Have a handful of blogs I update every so often.

gamboolman

Post by gamboolman » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:28 am

For ms gamboolgal and I this is a great thread and is inspirational to us.

As I endure the remainder of the year until I retire effective 1-Jan-20 after working overseas for the last ~17 years, I have pretty well not had any hobbies as we work 7 days a week in the oilpatch. After over 40 years in the oilfields - we are looking forward to the freedom that is on the horizon.

On our vacations back home to Texas - we like to take road trips and I do like to play the pokerssszzzzz.....pretty much a hobby that pays for itself most of the time ....ha

Looking forward to figuring out what we will do in retirement. We think we will buy a lake house or rural landin Texas and sell our home in The Woodlands. But we will wait until we are retired and will do a lot of looking to be sure before we buy a place on the lake or rural property.

We have seen lots of folks who had a retirement dream home or plan for years. But when they finally retired - things had changed in their lives and the dreams of yesterday were not the same once they got retired.

Wonderful problem to have !

This thread is great for us. Gives us a lot to talk about. Love reading the posts.

Lifes A Dance And You Learn As You Go....

gamboolman....

cudavid

Post by cudavid » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:36 am

Trap shooting , love it, game with others, but 100% against myself, and now add Kayaking!

zeal

Post by zeal » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:48 am

Probably first and foremost, my hobby is learning new things and having new hobbies... I have always had an incredible passion for learning, which made me a great student in school and sports. My hobbies in general consist of sports, toys, and learning new things.

My first love growing up was Legos. I still own every Lego I've ever purchased and I probably build with them at least once a week... And I'm 30. For my 30th birthday my wife took me to Legoland in FL... Best birthday I've ever had. I keep them all in my "playroom" (we don't have kids but we absolutely have a playroom!) downstairs, along with my acoustic guitar which I started playing in high school and I like to play weekly as well. My parents are musicians and I was always around other musicians growing up, so I like to play any instrument I can get my hands on--eventually I'd like to get a few more strewn about in the playroom (fiddle, banjo, bass, keyboard, drumset). I also like to put an eye on our finances weekly, so I usually play around with my spreadsheet and do some projections/dreaming.

As for everyday hobbies, I love to exercise so I lift weights/bodyweight workout in my little home gym daily and hike through the woods behind our house daily too. I also play some basketball in our driveway and as soon as I can open our pool I'll be in there daily too. I read for an hour every morning, always 30 minutes in my Bible 30 minutes in another book (currently reading Bogle's Common Sense on Mutual Funds). In our new house I've also taken to doing some yardwork daily after I come back from my hike and play basketball. We also have a black lab/pitbull mix who likes to play with me throughout the day.

There are tons of other things I enjoy doing but don't do as regularly, mainly because they are better enjoyed with company than my hobbies above, which are done alone for the most part. I like to get together with friends for frisbee, soccer, football, slackline, climbing, camping, kayaking/tubing down the river,... Basically, name an outdoor activity and I'll be there.

Rus In Urbe

Post by Rus In Urbe » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:17 am

Like others on this forum-----Gardening.
It's a passion throughout my family.
Grandparents, parents, siblings----we all had or have spectacular gardens.
And my DH shares my passion.

Benefits:
----Fresh, organic food (garlic, herbs, greens, tomatoes, etc)
----Recycle all our kitchen scraps into the compost heap
----Recycle all the leaves from the trees into the compost heap
----Great exercise
----Aesthetically satisfying to plan and create together
----Fresh flowers for the house or to take to friends
----Constantly learning about new plants, seeds, methods
----Meditative work that is calming and connects one to the seasons and to the earth's cycles.

There is nothing like going out on a summer evening and picking a fresh salad for supper.
With a garden, life feels very abundant.
I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money. ~Pablo Picasso

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:20 am

Our grandson. After former daughter-in-law ran away we took over the then several months old grandson when son was at work, is now 16 and high honor student.

Gardening! that gives me exercise and fresh air. We have 300 different hostas and 60 different conifers. I grow hosta seedlings from hybridizing over winter in my basement.

Go Blue 99

Post by Go Blue 99 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:15 am

My hobby is an unusual one- writing reviews. I got into it around the early 00's when I started buying more stuff online. I've just always enjoyed giving people advice on their potential purchases. On Yelp, I have Elite reviewer status, and on Amazon, I'm part of their Vine program. This is where I can select items to review, and I get to keep them after reviewing them. I've been in the Vine program for 9 years, and have received everything from mattresses to robot vacuums to protein bars.

jharkin

Post by jharkin » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:30 am

I have a bunch of hobbies... none of them anywhere mainstream and there the kind of things you either have a passion for or zero interest I find.

Most involved hobby is large radio control model aircraft (airplanes and helicopters) . Not drones, not flying camera - but airplanes as in the kind built from wood etc... and when I say big I mean gasoline powered, needs a pickup truck/large SUV to move it big. We spend months or years just building one... and i have .. a few. Ive been into this nearly 30 years.

The other significant one is owning/living in and restoring antique houses. Especially 18th and early 19th century (colonial/federal period). And again when I say restoration I dont mean "This old House" gut it and slap in whatever HGTV interior fad is current. I mean learning how to strip and rebuild wooden sash windows using old fashioned linseed oil putty and 18th century woodworking techniques... repairing stonework with real lime mortar, researching antique door hardware, and so forth. My wife and I have been working on one house for 10 years and haven't even done half of the projects we want to, but sadly a growing family will force us to move on.

Neither is really an interest for the casual dabbler who picks a new hobby every year for variety.....

I have some other hobbies that are a little less involved - vintage audio (60s gear, tubes, etc), outdoors (hiking, camping, biking), etc.
Last edited by jharkin on Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:36 am, edited 3 times in total.

22twain

Post by 22twain » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:31 am

MP173 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:50 pm
Railroads - interested in the operations (and recent history) of the US freight railroads. I have been a railfan since HS.
Many railfans combine this with photography and travel, traveling around the country to visit classic "hot spots" for train-watching, obscure shortline railroads, rare types of locomotives, and railroad museums (many of which operate trains, sometimes with steam locomotives, over routes that are no longer used for regular passenger or freight service). Groups organize passenger excursion runs over routes that normally see only freight service.

Railroad museums also need volunteers to help maintain the equipment and property, serve as docents/guides, etc.
Foredeck wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:52 pm
Listening to music - Listening my way through the entire works of Antonín Dvořák's. Listen to records. Hoping to take beginner piano classes soon.
This can also lead to travel, to hear orchestras on their "home turf", see performances of rare operas, attend summer music festivals, etc. This is important for those of us who don't live in places like New York that have a lot of musical activity nearby. We have season tickets to our nearest orchestra, but it's an hour's drive away in a nearby medium-sized city, and plays only six concerts per year.

I have a large collection of classical CDs (started with LPs in high school fifty years ago) that I'm now gradually ripping and loading onto my computer for streaming to the audio/video system in my living room. Just now I'm finishing a run of Vaughan Williams and Malcolm Arnold symphonies and other orchestral music.
Last edited by 22twain on Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
My investing princiPLEs do not include absolutely preserving princiPAL.