seriously thinking about leaving S. CA but where to?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
stan1
Posts: 8011
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:35 pm

Re: seriously thinking about leaving S. CA but where to?

Post by stan1 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:43 am

LFKB wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:14 am
Charleston, South Carolina. Beautiful city, tons of restaurants and culture, good weather (although not Southern California good) and right on the water. It does get the sporadic hurricane but usually they stay further south I believe.
Nope, Charleston has no-see-ums (biting bugs). OP didn't mention biting bugs but I'm sure he's be against them (as am I).

Topic Author
sil2017
Posts: 408
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:25 am

Re: seriously thinking about leaving S. CA but where to?

Post by sil2017 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:47 am

Had a call back from the Arizona realtor. Based on my preference for the least hottest area and low crime, she suggested Flagstaff, Prescott or Scottsdale. But the nasty scorpions are indigenous of AZ....

Looking at Henderson and Summerlin but not sure if I can live there during the summer months. I have a friend who resides in Las Vegas and he leaves there for 4 months per year.

Topic Author
sil2017
Posts: 408
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:25 am

Re: seriously thinking about leaving S. CA but where to?

Post by sil2017 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:47 am

Charleston, South Carolina. Beautiful city, tons of restaurants and culture, good weather (although not Southern California good) and right on the water. It does get the sporadic hurricane but usually they stay further south I believe.
[/quote]

Nope, Charleston has no-see-ums (biting bugs). OP didn't mention biting bugs but I'm sure he's be against them (as am I).


I will be in Charleston on vacation next month so I will have a chance to experience the city.

User avatar
grayfox
Posts: 5267
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:30 am

Re: seriously thinking about leaving S. CA but where to?

Post by grayfox » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:53 am

sil2017 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:03 am
I am retired so I can move anywhere in the country. I have spent countless hours searching for a place to live. Originally , I was searching for a state free of taxes. But it doesn't matter anymore. I just want to leave CA but not sure where. Any suggestions based on the criteria

Criteria:
1/ Good climate similar to Orange County, CA. Okay with some snow in the winter but not fond of huge amount of rain.
2/ No hurricane , flood , tornado and blizzard
3/ Not Hawaii
4/ Low crime


Not a must but wouldn't mind a city close to the airport as I travel a lot, and close to the beach
Climate similar to Orange County, CA? That is the orange area on this map, which is Mediterranean climate. Only California in the contiguous U.S.

Image

You can not move out of California without a change of climate. If you want to move, you would have to decide on what alternate climate you would prefer. Generally in the U.S., the East is wetter and the West is drier; the North is colder and the south is hotter.

There is something called Köppen climate classification. Here is Köppen–Geiger climate classification for the world.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... on_Map.png

California coast looks to be Csb. C=temperate, s= dry summer, b = warm summer

lostdog
Posts: 2116
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:15 pm

Re: seriously thinking about leaving S. CA but where to?

Post by lostdog » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:08 am

Where do your family and friends live?
VTWAX and chill.

User avatar
grayfox
Posts: 5267
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:30 am

Re: seriously thinking about leaving S. CA but where to?

Post by grayfox » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:14 am

As far as low crime goes, here is List of United States cities by crime rate. Sort it by Total Violent Crime.

Irvine, CA in OC is about the lowest on the list with 61.21 total violent crimes per 100,000.
St. Louis, MO is on top with 2082.29 total violent crimes per 100,000.

Measuring crime levels in each state.
The states with the lowest crime rates are Maine, Vermont and New Hampshire.

Slacker
Posts: 721
Joined: Thu May 26, 2016 8:40 am

Re: seriously thinking about leaving S. CA but where to?

Post by Slacker » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:19 am

sil2017 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:47 am
Had a call back from the Arizona realtor. Based on my preference for the least hottest area and low crime, she suggested Flagstaff, Prescott or Scottsdale. But the nasty scorpions are indigenous of AZ....

Looking at Henderson and Summerlin but not sure if I can live there during the summer months. I have a friend who resides in Las Vegas and he leaves there for 4 months per year.
Flagstaff Winters are cold and they can get some heavy snowfalls a couple times a year. Otherwise, it is a nice area.
Scottsdale will be just as hot (or hotter) than Henderson in the summer.

Scorpions-> some houses get them, most never do. Spray for roach/cricket/beetle control and you'll probably never see a scorpion.

User avatar
White Coat Investor
Posts: 14334
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:11 pm
Location: Greatest Snow On Earth

Re: seriously thinking about leaving S. CA but where to?

Post by White Coat Investor » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:24 am

sil2017 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:03 am
I am retired so I can move anywhere in the country. I have spent countless hours searching for a place to live. Originally , I was searching for a state free of taxes. But it doesn't matter anymore. I just want to leave CA but not sure where. Any suggestions based on the criteria

Criteria:
1/ Good climate similar to Orange County, CA. Okay with some snow in the winter but not fond of huge amount of rain.
2/ No hurricane , flood , tornado and blizzard
3/ Not Hawaii
4/ Low crime


Not a must but wouldn't mind a city close to the airport as I travel a lot, and close to the beach
Wow. Strict criteria. Not sure anywhere exists that meets all of it. Maybe if you rank the criteria you could find a place by dropping the bottom one or two.

I think the closest you're going to get is Reno.

Some snow but not much rain.
No hurricanes, floods, tornados, and only occasional blizzards.
Not Hawaii
Crime higher than average
Close to an airport
Beach within driving distance for a long day trip (and Tahoe quite close).

Best part: No state taxes

Good luck with your decision.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

User avatar
grayfox
Posts: 5267
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:30 am

Re: seriously thinking about leaving S. CA but where to?

Post by grayfox » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:28 am

sil2017 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:32 am
Checked out Arizona - Prescott and Scottsdale

AZ sounds good. Any zip code in particular? Hoping for replies from someone who lives in Scottsdale or Prescott.
Scottsdale is a great choice. But what about the other six months of the year? You will have to leave April 1 and don't return until Oct 1. Been there, done that.

Temperature Scottsdale AZ v. Irvine CA Select Past 5 years

I would want another home in Flagstaff for the summer. Plus you can ski in the winter.
Last edited by grayfox on Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:37 am, edited 3 times in total.

Topic Author
sil2017
Posts: 408
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:25 am

Re: seriously thinking about leaving S. CA but where to?

Post by sil2017 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:29 am

In Florida, the following 5 cities are the safest for hurricane, tropical storm and flood:

Leesburg, Orlando, Sanford, Kissimmee and Palatka

Does anyone live there or know much about the cities? Does any of the above meet my criteria? Which is the least hottest with low crime?

I will be searching on the internet again but if anyone can direct me to zip codes to look for houses/condos, I would appreciate it very much.

sabtastic
Posts: 133
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:00 am

Re: seriously thinking about leaving S. CA but where to?

Post by sabtastic » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:31 am

For those of you that like Reno/Sparks can you point out the good and bad sides of the city? DW keeps getting job offers in this area, and we might take a day trip out there at some point

User avatar
Sandtrap
Posts: 8658
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:32 pm
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi , N. Arizona

Re: seriously thinking about leaving S. CA but where to?

Post by Sandtrap » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:36 am

mlebuf wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:09 am
I live within a mile of Scottsdale. Great quality of life and low crime. The only downside is the summer heat. A lot of people establish a residency in Scottsdale and buy/rent a condo in San Diego, Orange County, etc. for the summers to escape the heat and CA taxes. Others get a second place in Flagstaff, which is a 2-hour drive up the I-17 and much like Colorado ski country. Other N. Arizona places people escape to for the summer are Prescott, Payson and the White Mountains. Tucson is about 120 miles SE of Phoenix but slightly cooler in the summer.

I personally don't find the heat all that bad. Everything is air-conditioned and with low humidity you don't drip or feel the heat unless you out in it. Of course, I came from New Orleans that is literally built on a drained swamp. Your mileage may vary.

The best way to check out Scottsdale is to visit in the summer when the room rates are rock bottom and the temperature is high. Stay for a week or two and if you can take the heat you will love the rest of the year.
+1
Far N. Scottsdale IE: Cave Creek, Carefree, Desert Mountain, Mirabel, Troon, Fountain Hills, are very nice. Look at developments like GrayHawk, Windsong, if that is your budget. There's a large inventory of "high end" homes available.
Highway 101 to I-17 then North to Prescott, Sedona, Cottonwood, etc, is a relatively short drive to cooler climates and up to a mile high altitude.
Large lakes nearby. Lake Pleasant, etc. Summers in Scottsdale are warm in the day but cool quickly from dusk to dawn.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

User avatar
Sandtrap
Posts: 8658
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:32 pm
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi , N. Arizona

Re: seriously thinking about leaving S. CA but where to?

Post by Sandtrap » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:39 am

stan1 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:43 am
LFKB wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:14 am
Charleston, South Carolina. Beautiful city, tons of restaurants and culture, good weather (although not Southern California good) and right on the water. It does get the sporadic hurricane but usually they stay further south I believe.
Nope, Charleston has no-see-ums (biting bugs). OP didn't mention biting bugs but I'm sure he's be against them (as am I).
"No See Ums". . . Ewe!!!!!!
In humid areas, mosquitoes so thick you can inhale them.
Auwe!!!! :shock:
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

pindevil
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:04 am

Re: seriously thinking about leaving S. CA but where to?

Post by pindevil » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:49 am

Lived in AZ twenty years now and I have only seen one live scorpion. I've had several black widows at my house though.

Topic Author
sil2017
Posts: 408
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:25 am

Re: seriously thinking about leaving S. CA but where to?

Post by sil2017 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:05 am

lostdog wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:08 am
Where do your family and friends live?
Family in Canada. Friends in CA and Canada.

lostdog
Posts: 2116
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:15 pm

Re: seriously thinking about leaving S. CA but where to?

Post by lostdog » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:08 am

sil2017 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:05 am
lostdog wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:08 am
Where do your family and friends live?
Family in Canada. Friends in CA and Canada.
Would you miss your friends?
VTWAX and chill.

User avatar
Svensk Anga
Posts: 629
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:16 pm

Re: seriously thinking about leaving S. CA but where to?

Post by Svensk Anga » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:12 am

sil2017 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:29 am
In Florida, the following 5 cities are the safest for hurricane, tropical storm and flood:

Leesburg, Orlando, Sanford, Kissimmee and Palatka

Does anyone live there or know much about the cities? Does any of the above meet my criteria? Which is the least hottest with low crime?

I will be searching on the internet again but if anyone can direct me to zip codes to look for houses/condos, I would appreciate it very much.
All of these are inland, the first four in the same general area, so similar weather. I can't imagine that Palatka is much cooler, except when the cold fronts move in. You would have to tolerate mid to upper 90's and high humidity every day from June through September in any of these. Expect a lot of summer rain, often accompanied by lightning. Orlando has a good international airport to bring the hoards in to Disney World. Traffic there can get pretty bad.

For Florida generally, inland is more extreme for temperatures, both hot and cold. The coasts are moderated by proximity to the Gulf or Atlantic. One often gets a nice sea breeze on the coast as it is warming up in the afternoon. So the coasts have more pleasant weather. They also have more hurricane exposure and the home owners insurance premiums reflect that. If you are equidistant from both coasts, most hurricanes (they can come from either east or west) have diminished in intensity enough by the time they are that far inland that home damage is usually minor or none at all. I have owned a home here (inland) for 36 years and put in only one hurricane related insurance claim. The insurer pitched in to re-shingle my roof which was about due anyway. Houses constructed to post-2001 code should have little problem if well inland. On the coast though, I'd have my doubts.

We like inland Florida a lot October to May. We evacuate for the summer now that we are retired.

oko
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri May 18, 2018 5:01 pm

Re: seriously thinking about leaving S. CA but where to?

Post by oko » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:18 am

Austin won't work for OP if politics is playing a role since Austin is the "blue dot in red state".

User avatar
aLoveSupreme
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:57 pm

Re: seriously thinking about leaving S. CA but where to?

Post by aLoveSupreme » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:30 am

sil2017 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:29 am
In Florida, the following 5 cities are the safest for hurricane, tropical storm and flood:

Leesburg, Orlando, Sanford, Kissimmee and Palatka

Does anyone live there or know much about the cities? Does any of the above meet my criteria? Which is the least hottest with low crime?
I lived in Palatka for almost 20 years before moving west. It's cheap to live but a horrible place culturally. Redneck, ignorant, country fried rubes living there mostly. There are some nice people of course but overall it's kind of gnarly. Poorest county in the state currently from the data I've read. It gets damn hot and humid as it's on the St.John's River. Crime is on par with the inhabitants of the area. Google FLORIDA MAN to get my drift...
"Enjoy every sandwich..." - Warren Zevon

Topic Author
sil2017
Posts: 408
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:25 am

Re: seriously thinking about leaving S. CA but where to?

Post by sil2017 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:34 am

oko wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:18 am
Austin won't work for OP if politics is playing a role since Austin is the "blue dot in red state".
Politics is not playing a role in my decision to live in another State. Could be blue dot or red dot or NO dot state.
However, Politics has some play in why I want to move out of CA.

DrGoogle2017
Posts: 2528
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:31 pm

Re: seriously thinking about leaving S. CA but where to?

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:00 am

My neighbor just moved back from Texas, they said they didn’t like it there. I think they are both high earners because of the lifestyle they lead. And they rent too. I would take time to think it through.

DB2
Posts: 514
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:07 pm

Re: seriously thinking about leaving S. CA but where to?

Post by DB2 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:04 am

Clever_Username wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:54 pm
Glad so many people are saying Scottsdale, AZ. When I leave California, that's where I'm moving to. Two great professional football teams nearby and the weather permits you to play golf 365 days a year.
My Uncle lived in Del Mar, CA before retiring in Sun City, AZ.

It's kind of funny: he was from Michigan and had to decide who to root for in the 1984 World Series between the Padres and Tigers when living in CA. Sided with the Padres...was a big mistake, ha.

quantAndHold
Posts: 3552
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:39 pm

Re: seriously thinking about leaving S. CA but where to?

Post by quantAndHold » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:14 am

sil2017 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:29 am
In Florida, the following 5 cities are the safest for hurricane, tropical storm and flood:

Leesburg, Orlando, Sanford, Kissimmee and Palatka

Does anyone live there or know much about the cities? Does any of the above meet my criteria? Which is the least hottest with low crime?

I will be searching on the internet again but if anyone can direct me to zip codes to look for houses/condos, I would appreciate it very much.
You already nixed other places that have better weather and fewer bugs than any of these places. You need to like heat, humidity, and bugs for anyplace in Florida.

Isabelle77
Posts: 484
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:43 pm

Re: seriously thinking about leaving S. CA but where to?

Post by Isabelle77 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:22 am

Here's what I would do :)

Condo in Scottsdale October-April

Home in PNW May-September - Olympic Peninsula would be my choice, but somewhere near Bend if you like a little warmer. You do risk fire season the farther east you go though.

Best of luck OP!

User avatar
teacher
Posts: 1073
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:45 pm
Location: California

Re: seriously thinking about leaving S. CA but where to?

Post by teacher » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:24 am

sil2017 wrote:
I have also thought about moving but not for political reason; just money; taxes and such. In searching the USA I cannot find anything which would be equivalent or someplace that I thought would be an improvement.
We went through a similar phase looking at prospects on the other side of the fence, but after much research, we found it all boils down to; you get what you pay for. Other locals have expenses we don't have mostly due to climate, utility bills, property taxes, insurances, etc. In fact, our Mediterranean climate, low crime and family nearby are the reason we are staying in NorCal. Also, we like diversity in terms of the people, the terrain (mountains, lakes, rivers, ocean in day-trip reach) and opportunities for our family.

surfstar
Posts: 1888
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:17 pm
Location: Santa Barbara, CA

Re: seriously thinking about leaving S. CA but where to?

Post by surfstar » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:25 am

Funny enough, its almost like there's a reason that it costs so much to live in CA :oops:

head gamez
Posts: 110
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:30 pm

Re: seriously thinking about leaving S. CA but where to?

Post by head gamez » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:29 am

Mission Texas?

Very nice winters, hot but not unbearable summers, no state taxes, and a little over an hour from Padre Island.

ThatGuy
Posts: 953
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:00 am

Re: seriously thinking about leaving S. CA but where to?

Post by ThatGuy » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:02 am

grayfox wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:53 am
There is something called Köppen climate classification. Here is Köppen–Geiger climate classification for the world.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... on_Map.png

California coast looks to be Csb. C=temperate, s= dry summer, b = warm summer
According to this interactive site Csb extends all the way up through Washington, just not into the Olympics.

I might suggest coastal Oregon as being similar to coastal California, if not quite as hot as the OC. But it's hella prettier. In particular, Florence is a cool little town which is a straight shot from college town Eugene.

PS. It's also close to delicious cheese country.
Work is the curse of the drinking class - Oscar Wilde

User avatar
Socrates
Posts: 425
Joined: Sun May 13, 2018 10:27 pm
Location: Margaritaville

Re: seriously thinking about leaving S. CA but where to?

Post by Socrates » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:41 am

My neighbor just moved back from Texas, they said they didn’t like it there.


What part? Texas is equal to multiple states....west Texas, Dallas Fort worth, Houston, Austin Area?

That's like say my friend got back from the East Coast and didn't like it.
“Don't waste your time looking back. You're not going that way.” ― Ragnar Lothbrok.

GT99
Posts: 298
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:26 pm

Re: seriously thinking about leaving S. CA but where to?

Post by GT99 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:07 pm

Sam1 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:41 pm


Atlanta has a miserable climate. HOT 9 months out of the year and cold with rain for the other 3. The weather isn’t conducive to sports, living a walkable lifestyle or not using AC all the time.
This is pretty much the exact opposite of reality (unless you consider 70 degrees hot and 50 degree cold). I live in Atlanta and play golf and tennis year round. I played baseball 8 months a year in younger days. The weather is certainly very erratic, and it's common to have wild temperature swings day to day (in the winter you might have a high of 30 followed by a high of 70 a couple days later), but it's really only consistently hot from late May to early September, with hot being regular highs of 85+. 95 Degrees or hotter is extremely rare (the average high in July is 89). It typically snows at all maybe 3 times a year, but maybe 1 out of 3 will it stick at all. High temp in the winter is most commonly in the 50s. Sure, you get days where the high is in the 20s, but you also get winter days that hit 70.
About 5 months out of the year (in spring and fall) highs are typically in the 60s and 70s.

Certainly not saying Atlanta is perfect for the OP's requirements, but as others have noted, there aren't many fits outside of CA. And GA is one of the best fits from a tax perspective.

User avatar
whodidntante
Posts: 7114
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:11 pm
Location: outside the echo chamber

Re: seriously thinking about leaving S. CA but where to?

Post by whodidntante » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:28 pm

Southern Europe

btenny
Posts: 5218
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:47 pm

Re: seriously thinking about leaving S. CA but where to?

Post by btenny » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:09 pm

Some facts about Scottsdale and Phoenix Metro area that have been distorted above.

1. Summer runs from May 20th to about October 15. Long term desert rats leave for some of this time or travel a lot. Also everything is air conditioned and we wear shorts and sandals all the time so it does not bother us.

2. Summer is HOT HOT during the day (above 100 degrees) and stays HOT all night and mostly above 85 degrees. This hot night thing is partly due to cement and pavement heat island effects of the giant city.

3. The humidity is low for half the summer when it is very hot. This starts in mid-May and runs to July. Peak temperatures will be above 110 degrees with maybe 10 percent humidity.

4. The monsoon season brings humidity and summer rain and dust storms and slightly cooler temperatures. This starts when the dew point goes above 55 degrees around August 1st and goes to late September. Peak temperatures are 105 with more humidity and then it rains which drops the temperature to 80.

5, There are almost no scorpions in the Phoenix/Scottsdale metro area. Yes some new house areas in the far north have a few but a good pest control person will eliminate them forever. We do have some mosquitoes and other bugs that live in our lawns and planting areas in our yards. Again pest control solves this.

6. Fall goes from October 15 to about Christmas. Winter lasts about 6 weeks, from Christmas to February 3rd or so. Yes it is cold IMO. Temperature will be 45-55 during the day and 35 at night with a few early mornings of 28-32. Spring goes from February to mid May. The spring and fall temperatures are 65-85 during the day and 45-60 at night. Everything blooms in the spring time so pollen counts soar but the desert is amazing with all the colors. Humidity is low for all this time with a few rain storms.

7. If you are a golf person Phoenix metro has 200 golf courses including many championship level courses. We also have tons of hiking and biking trails throughout the metro area on the various small mountains in town. If you need water we have 7 man made lakes on the area rivers that support a lot of boating and water sports year round.

But beware Phoenix/Scottsdale is now a giant city with all the big city traffic and noise and fun things to do all day and night.

Good Luck.

littlebird
Posts: 1547
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:05 pm
Location: Valley of the Sun, AZ

Re: seriously thinking about leaving S. CA but where to?

Post by littlebird » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:24 pm

btenny wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:09 pm
Some facts about Scottsdale and Phoenix Metro area that have been distorted above.

1. Summer runs from May 20th to about October 15. Long term desert rats leave for some of this time or travel a lot. Also everything is air conditioned and we wear shorts and sandals all the time so it does not bother us.

2. Summer is HOT HOT during the day (above 100 degrees) and stays HOT all night and mostly above 85 degrees. This hot night thing is partly due to cement and pavement heat island effects of the giant city.

3. The humidity is low for half the summer when it is very hot. This starts in mid-May and runs to July. Peak temperatures will be above 110 degrees with maybe 10 percent humidity.
Well
4. The monsoon season brings humidity and summer rain and dust storms and slightly cooler temperatures. This starts when the dew point goes above 55 degrees around August 1st and goes to late September. Peak temperatures are 105 with more humidity and then it rains which drops the temperature to 80.

5, There are almost no scorpions in the Phoenix/Scottsdale metro area. Yes some new house areas in the far north have a few but a good pest control person will eliminate them forever. We do have some mosquitoes and other bugs that live in our lawns and planting areas in our yards. Again pest control solves this.

6. Fall goes from October 15 to about Christmas. Winter lasts about 6 weeks, from Christmas to February 3rd or so. Yes it is cold IMO. Temperature will be 45-55 during the day and 35 at night with a few early mornings of 28-32. Spring goes from February to mid May. The spring and fall temperatures are 65-85 during the day and 45-60 at night. Everything blooms in the spring time so pollen counts soar but the desert is amazing with all the colors. Humidity is low for all this time with a few rain storms.

7. If you are a golf person Phoenix metro has 200 golf courses including many championship level courses. We also have tons of hiking and biking trails throughout the metro area on the various small mountains in town. If you need water we have 7 man made lakes on the area rivers that support a lot of boating and water sports year round.

But beware Phoenix/Scottsdale is now a giant city with all the big city traffic and noise and fun things to do all day and night.

Good Luck.
I agree with everything btenny has to say, including the dates he gives. I live on the far west side of the PHX metro, in one of the giant Sun Cities, and love, love, love it. Since it’s a little more suburban on this side, we *do* have the occasional scorpion, but good and frequent pest control does the job.

Sam1
Posts: 474
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:24 am

Re: seriously thinking about leaving S. CA but where to?

Post by Sam1 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:52 pm

GT99 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:07 pm
Sam1 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:41 pm


Atlanta has a miserable climate. HOT 9 months out of the year and cold with rain for the other 3. The weather isn’t conducive to sports, living a walkable lifestyle or not using AC all the time.
This is pretty much the exact opposite of reality (unless you consider 70 degrees hot and 50 degree cold). I live in Atlanta and play golf and tennis year round. I played baseball 8 months a year in younger days. The weather is certainly very erratic, and it's common to have wild temperature swings day to day (in the winter you might have a high of 30 followed by a high of 70 a couple days later), but it's really only consistently hot from late May to early September, with hot being regular highs of 85+. 95 Degrees or hotter is extremely rare (the average high in July is 89). It typically snows at all maybe 3 times a year, but maybe 1 out of 3 will it stick at all. High temp in the winter is most commonly in the 50s. Sure, you get days where the high is in the 20s, but you also get winter days that hit 70.
About 5 months out of the year (in spring and fall) highs are typically in the 60s and 70s.

Certainly not saying Atlanta is perfect for the OP's requirements, but as others have noted, there aren't many fits outside of CA. And GA is one of the best fits from a tax perspective.
If you’ve lived in Atlanta or Georgia your entire life you wouldn’t realize how bad the weather is.

You just stated above that the average high is 85+ for 6 months of the year. Like that isn’t bad! I said 9 months and you said that’s the exact opposite of reality...it’s really 6 months. You say the average high in July is 89!!! For most people that is pretty awful. Is it possible to play baseball or golf in 85 degrees? Yes. But someone used to the California climate is going to find it sweltering and miserable. Six months plus out of the year you can’t walk to the grocery store in the afternoon without breaking out into a serious sweat. There is a reason people didn’t start moving to Atlanta until after the automobile and air conditioning. Both are what make Atlanta habitable. Atlanta simply isn’t a city for someone used to an active outdoor lifestyle. It’s also very far from the coast. There is a reason the real estate is inexpensive.

TheMadEph
Posts: 87
Joined: Thu May 24, 2018 11:25 pm

Re: seriously thinking about leaving S. CA but where to?

Post by TheMadEph » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:02 pm

niceguy7376 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:49 am
sil2017 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:03 am
Any suggestions based on the criteria

Criteria:
1/ Mild climate similar to Orange County, CA. Okay with some snow in the winter but not fond of huge amount of rain. - Partial Check
2/ No hurricane , flood , tornado and blizzard - Check
3/ Not Hawaii - Check
4/ Low crime - Check

Not a must but wouldn't mind a city close to the airport as I travel a lot, recreation (hiking) within a couple hours or less, preferably real estate costing 800k or less. I wouldn't mind a condo either. And hopefully close to the beach. I am okay with an active 55 plus community
Suburban Atlanta would meet all of those except for the "close to the beach".
How would suburban Atlanta meet those criteria? It is is hot as hell in the summer, has tremendous rain storms from time to time, is at risk for hurricanes, flooding (localized) and tornadoes, and "low crime" really depends on very localized specifics. It has a good airport, but hiking is not a strong point.

I would suggest looking farther north into Oregon and Washington. As climate change ramps up, i suspect you will see summers more like the OC. Maybe Sequim, WA? In the rain shadow of the Olympics = amazing hiking, little rain. The whole town is 55+.

GT99
Posts: 298
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:26 pm

Re: seriously thinking about leaving S. CA but where to?

Post by GT99 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:20 pm

Sam1 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:52 pm
GT99 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:07 pm
Sam1 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:41 pm


Atlanta has a miserable climate. HOT 9 months out of the year and cold with rain for the other 3. The weather isn’t conducive to sports, living a walkable lifestyle or not using AC all the time.
This is pretty much the exact opposite of reality (unless you consider 70 degrees hot and 50 degree cold). I live in Atlanta and play golf and tennis year round. I played baseball 8 months a year in younger days. The weather is certainly very erratic, and it's common to have wild temperature swings day to day (in the winter you might have a high of 30 followed by a high of 70 a couple days later), but it's really only consistently hot from late May to early September, with hot being regular highs of 85+. 95 Degrees or hotter is extremely rare (the average high in July is 89). It typically snows at all maybe 3 times a year, but maybe 1 out of 3 will it stick at all. High temp in the winter is most commonly in the 50s. Sure, you get days where the high is in the 20s, but you also get winter days that hit 70.
About 5 months out of the year (in spring and fall) highs are typically in the 60s and 70s.

Certainly not saying Atlanta is perfect for the OP's requirements, but as others have noted, there aren't many fits outside of CA. And GA is one of the best fits from a tax perspective.
If you’ve lived in Atlanta or Georgia your entire life you wouldn’t realize how bad the weather is.

You just stated above that the average high is 85+ for 6 months of the year. Like that isn’t bad! I said 9 months and you said that’s the exact opposite of reality...it’s really 6 months. You say the average high in July is 89!!! For most people that is pretty awful. Is it possible to play baseball or golf in 85 degrees? Yes. But someone used to the California climate is going to find it sweltering and miserable. Six months plus out of the year you can’t walk to the grocery store in the afternoon without breaking out into a serious sweat. There is a reason people didn’t start moving to Atlanta until after the automobile and air conditioning. Both are what make Atlanta habitable. Atlanta simply isn’t a city for someone used to an active outdoor lifestyle. It’s also very far from the coast. There is a reason the real estate is inexpensive.
Um, no, I said nothing of the sort. Where did you get 85+ for 6 months from?? It's not even close to that, and I said nothing close to that. Looking at actual data, the average high hits the 85 degree mark on June 11 and comes back down to 85 on Sept 4. So less than 3 months. Even some cities known for being cold, like Chicago and Minneapolis, get average temperatures in the 80s in the summer. 85 is hotter than I prefer, but I highly doubt a majority of folks would consider 85 sweltering.

I lived in NY for 12 years. July in Atlanta is on average a whopping 4 degrees warmer, but in January it's 14 degrees warmer. Personally, I'll take the significantly warmer winter over slightly warmer summer.

Don't get me wrong, I freely admit SoCal has superior weather. I doubt you'll find anyone who would argue that. But if you find Atlanta's weather intolerable because the summers are too hot and the winters are too cold, you'll find 90+% of the US lies in climates you find intolerable. I actually don't like hot weather (60-70 degrees is ideal to me).

lws
Posts: 83
Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:12 pm

Re: seriously thinking about leaving S. CA but where to?

Post by lws » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:36 pm

Your requirements lead you back to where you are.
I'm in SoCal too. Till death do us part. The climate here can't be beat.

Starfish
Posts: 1546
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:33 pm

Re: seriously thinking about leaving S. CA but where to?

Post by Starfish » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:36 pm

In Atlanta average is 85, but I would guess 100 is common. Add the humidity and it makes it terrible.
I lived my youth in 4 season climate, summer >100, winter <-10, no AC, sometimes bad heating, but I cannot take east coast summers. I lived in NY for 5 years. Humidity kills me, not the temperature.
Winters are bad too because rain at 30F is much worse than snow a 20 or dry 0.
Spring - there is not much spring. Cold cold cold, too hot.
Couple of months in the fall were the only 2 good months in a year.
Last edited by Starfish on Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DrGoogle2017
Posts: 2528
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:31 pm

Re: seriously thinking about leaving S. CA but where to?

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:55 pm

Socrates wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:41 am
My neighbor just moved back from Texas, they said they didn’t like it there.


What part? Texas is equal to multiple states....west Texas, Dallas Fort worth, Houston, Austin Area?

That's like say my friend got back from the East Coast and didn't like it.
Who knows, he told my husband he moved from Texas. East Coast is a broader term, if I had written he came from the South that’s better analogy.

DrGoogle2017
Posts: 2528
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:31 pm

Re: seriously thinking about leaving S. CA but where to?

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:59 pm

lws wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:36 pm
Your requirements lead you back to where you are.
I'm in SoCal too. Till death do us part. The climate here can't be beat.
Me too. Plus somebody mentioned PHX, a few years back I booked to go from SNA to PHX to Hawaii, I was hoping to avoid the LAX traffic. Then the heat turned hottest during the summer. Some planes could take off in very hot weather. That doesn’t happen in SNA. Something to consider if you want to travel a lot.

Teague
Posts: 1681
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:15 pm

Re: seriously thinking about leaving S. CA but where to?

Post by Teague » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:09 pm

DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:59 pm
lws wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:36 pm
Your requirements lead you back to where you are.
I'm in SoCal too. Till death do us part. The climate here can't be beat.
Me too. Plus somebody mentioned PHX, a few years back I booked to go from SNA to PHX to Hawaii, I was hoping to avoid the LAX traffic. Then the heat turned hottest during the summer. Some planes could take off in very hot weather. That doesn’t happen in SNA. Something to consider if you want to travel a lot.
You know it's hot when a meaningful part of the atmosphere packs up and leaves.
Semper Augustus

Topic Author
sil2017
Posts: 408
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:25 am

Re: seriously thinking about leaving S. CA but where to?

Post by sil2017 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:38 pm

lws wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:36 pm
Your requirements lead you back to where you are.
I'm in SoCal too. Till death do us part. The climate here can't be beat.
I am afraid that you are correct . When I retired almost 2 years ago, I wanted to leave CA . But I couldn’t find a place with superb weather. My neighbor left to a Del web active community near Nashville . He told me it took him 2 years to search for a place . For me ,Nashville is fun to visit but not to live . Too many rainy days .

quantAndHold
Posts: 3552
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:39 pm

Re: seriously thinking about leaving S. CA but where to?

Post by quantAndHold » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:46 pm

TheMadEph wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:02 pm
niceguy7376 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:49 am
sil2017 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:03 am
Any suggestions based on the criteria

Criteria:
1/ Mild climate similar to Orange County, CA. Okay with some snow in the winter but not fond of huge amount of rain. - Partial Check
2/ No hurricane , flood , tornado and blizzard - Check
3/ Not Hawaii - Check
4/ Low crime - Check

Not a must but wouldn't mind a city close to the airport as I travel a lot, recreation (hiking) within a couple hours or less, preferably real estate costing 800k or less. I wouldn't mind a condo either. And hopefully close to the beach. I am okay with an active 55 plus community
...
...

I would suggest looking farther north into Oregon and Washington. As climate change ramps up, i suspect you will see summers more like the OC. Maybe Sequim, WA? In the rain shadow of the Olympics = amazing hiking, little rain. The whole town is 55+.
Actually, OP, TheMadEph is on to something. Check out Sequim, WA (pronounced SQUIM). The weather isn’t Orange County good, but it’s better than the rest of Western Washington, and very livable. Nice town.

Sam1
Posts: 474
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:24 am

Re: seriously thinking about leaving S. CA but where to?

Post by Sam1 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:59 pm

GT99 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:20 pm
Sam1 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:52 pm
GT99 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:07 pm
Sam1 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:41 pm


Atlanta has a miserable climate. HOT 9 months out of the year and cold with rain for the other 3. The weather isn’t conducive to sports, living a walkable lifestyle or not using AC all the time.
This is pretty much the exact opposite of reality (unless you consider 70 degrees hot and 50 degree cold). I live in Atlanta and play golf and tennis year round. I played baseball 8 months a year in younger days. The weather is certainly very erratic, and it's common to have wild temperature swings day to day (in the winter you might have a high of 30 followed by a high of 70 a couple days later), but it's really only consistently hot from late May to early September, with hot being regular highs of 85+. 95 Degrees or hotter is extremely rare (the average high in July is 89). It typically snows at all maybe 3 times a year, but maybe 1 out of 3 will it stick at all. High temp in the winter is most commonly in the 50s. Sure, you get days where the high is in the 20s, but you also get winter days that hit 70.
About 5 months out of the year (in spring and fall) highs are typically in the 60s and 70s.

Certainly not saying Atlanta is perfect for the OP's requirements, but as others have noted, there aren't many fits outside of CA. And GA is one of the best fits from a tax perspective.
If you’ve lived in Atlanta or Georgia your entire life you wouldn’t realize how bad the weather is.

You just stated above that the average high is 85+ for 6 months of the year. Like that isn’t bad! I said 9 months and you said that’s the exact opposite of reality...it’s really 6 months. You say the average high in July is 89!!! For most people that is pretty awful. Is it possible to play baseball or golf in 85 degrees? Yes. But someone used to the California climate is going to find it sweltering and miserable. Six months plus out of the year you can’t walk to the grocery store in the afternoon without breaking out into a serious sweat. There is a reason people didn’t start moving to Atlanta until after the automobile and air conditioning. Both are what make Atlanta habitable. Atlanta simply isn’t a city for someone used to an active outdoor lifestyle. It’s also very far from the coast. There is a reason the real estate is inexpensive.
Um, no, I said nothing of the sort. Where did you get 85+ for 6 months from?? It's not even close to that, and I said nothing close to that. Looking at actual data, the average high hits the 85 degree mark on June 11 and comes back down to 85 on Sept 4. So less than 3 months. Even some cities known for being cold, like Chicago and Minneapolis, get average temperatures in the 80s in the summer. 85 is hotter than I prefer, but I highly doubt a majority of folks would consider 85 sweltering.

I lived in NY for 12 years. July in Atlanta is on average a whopping 4 degrees warmer, but in January it's 14 degrees warmer. Personally, I'll take the significantly warmer winter over slightly warmer summer.

Don't get me wrong, I freely admit SoCal has superior weather. I doubt you'll find anyone who would argue that. But if you find Atlanta's weather intolerable because the summers are too hot and the winters are too cold, you'll find 90+% of the US lies in climates you find intolerable. I actually don't like hot weather (60-70 degrees is ideal to me).
Seriously? Atlanta is HOT and HUMID for months. Yes, maybe it’s only a little bit hotter than NY in July, but the issue is that it’s still hot going into October. It’s hot in May. You’ve got a few extra months with extreme heat. It’s why it’s so hard to walk or take public transportation in Atlanta. The city was designed around cars since it’s the only comfortable way to get around in the heat.

Atlanta isn’t too cold in the winter, but it’s just cold enough to not be able to enjoy outdoor activities. It isn’t close to skiing and it gets uncomfortable playing tennis, golf etc. It frequently rains which makes the cold weather seen worse. There aren’t even coat checks in restaurants so bundling up is a pain.

Next you’re going to tell me that Houston isn’t that hot either.

Sam1
Posts: 474
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:24 am

Re: seriously thinking about leaving S. CA but where to?

Post by Sam1 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:01 pm

GT99 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:20 pm
Sam1 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:52 pm
GT99 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:07 pm
Sam1 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:41 pm


Atlanta has a miserable climate. HOT 9 months out of the year and cold with rain for the other 3. The weather isn’t conducive to sports, living a walkable lifestyle or not using AC all the time.
This is pretty much the exact opposite of reality (unless you consider 70 degrees hot and 50 degree cold). I live in Atlanta and play golf and tennis year round. I played baseball 8 months a year in younger days. The weather is certainly very erratic, and it's common to have wild temperature swings day to day (in the winter you might have a high of 30 followed by a high of 70 a couple days later), but it's really only consistently hot from late May to early September, with hot being regular highs of 85+. 95 Degrees or hotter is extremely rare (the average high in July is 89). It typically snows at all maybe 3 times a year, but maybe 1 out of 3 will it stick at all. High temp in the winter is most commonly in the 50s. Sure, you get days where the high is in the 20s, but you also get winter days that hit 70.
About 5 months out of the year (in spring and fall) highs are typically in the 60s and 70s.

Certainly not saying Atlanta is perfect for the OP's requirements, but as others have noted, there aren't many fits outside of CA. And GA is one of the best fits from a tax perspective.
If you’ve lived in Atlanta or Georgia your entire life you wouldn’t realize how bad the weather is.

You just stated above that the average high is 85+ for 6 months of the year. Like that isn’t bad! I said 9 months and you said that’s the exact opposite of reality...it’s really 6 months. You say the average high in July is 89!!! For most people that is pretty awful. Is it possible to play baseball or golf in 85 degrees? Yes. But someone used to the California climate is going to find it sweltering and miserable. Six months plus out of the year you can’t walk to the grocery store in the afternoon without breaking out into a serious sweat. There is a reason people didn’t start moving to Atlanta until after the automobile and air conditioning. Both are what make Atlanta habitable. Atlanta simply isn’t a city for someone used to an active outdoor lifestyle. It’s also very far from the coast. There is a reason the real estate is inexpensive.
Um, no, I said nothing of the sort. Where did you get 85+ for 6 months from?? It's not even close to that, and I said nothing close to that. Looking at actual data, the average high hits the 85 degree mark on June 11 and comes back down to 85 on Sept 4. So less than 3 months. Even some cities known for being cold, like Chicago and Minneapolis, get average temperatures in the 80s in the summer. 85 is hotter than I prefer, but I highly doubt a majority of folks would consider 85 sweltering.

I lived in NY for 12 years. July in Atlanta is on average a whopping 4 degrees warmer, but in January it's 14 degrees warmer. Personally, I'll take the significantly warmer winter over slightly warmer summer.

Don't get me wrong, I freely admit SoCal has superior weather. I doubt you'll find anyone who would argue that. But if you find Atlanta's weather intolerable because the summers are too hot and the winters are too cold, you'll find 90+% of the US lies in climates you find intolerable. I actually don't like hot weather (60-70 degrees is ideal to me).
I realized what’s going on. You’re an Atlanta native who also thinks Atlanta is a city on par with other east coast cities. You think the weather is similar too. It’s not.

decapod10
Posts: 430
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:46 pm

Re: seriously thinking about leaving S. CA but where to?

Post by decapod10 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:09 pm

sil2017 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:38 pm
lws wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:36 pm
Your requirements lead you back to where you are.
I'm in SoCal too. Till death do us part. The climate here can't be beat.
I am afraid that you are correct . When I retired almost 2 years ago, I wanted to leave CA . But I couldn’t find a place with superb weather. My neighbor left to a Del web active community near Nashville . He told me it took him 2 years to search for a place . For me ,Nashville is fun to visit but not to live . Too many rainy days .
I know you said that moving to a different city in California did not interest you, but is it possible that moving to a different part of California would solve some of your unhappiness? You've never really specified what bothers you about California. However if it's something to do with the people or the culture, as you know the people/culture/politics of different cities in California can vary a lot. I mean San Francisco and Redding and Irvine are all quite different.

anonenigma
Posts: 754
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:58 pm

Re: seriously thinking about leaving S. CA but where to?

Post by anonenigma » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:16 pm

If you want to leave for political/cultural reasons, or because you don't want to pay your share of the cost of society, maybe California isn't for you.

Here's what the L.A. Times has to say about migration from and to California - if you believe in data:

https://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi- ... story.html

ThankYouJack
Posts: 3087
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:27 pm

Re: seriously thinking about leaving S. CA but where to?

Post by ThankYouJack » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:17 pm

I think it’s easy to fall into a trap where we all want a perfect place to live. Every place has pros and cons- the key is to pick a place that will make you happiest by focusing on the pros not the cons.

FireSekr
Posts: 1040
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:54 am

Re: seriously thinking about leaving S. CA but where to?

Post by FireSekr » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:49 pm

Move anywhere else, suck it up and buy a jacket or a cashmere sweater. It’s not a big deal

-fellow so cal resident also planning to bail (Denver/Boulder area is on my short list but I’m not as concerned about climate as you seem to be)
Last edited by FireSekr on Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
pennstater2005
Posts: 2477
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:50 pm

Re: seriously thinking about leaving S. CA but where to?

Post by pennstater2005 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:49 pm

Travel a lot and each time return to southern California. Stay gone for long periods of time. Or not. You're retired!!!
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson

Locked