Reading Glasses With Bluelight Filter

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Leesbro63

Reading Glasses With Bluelight Filter

Post by Leesbro63 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:18 am

This is a two part question. I do not require glasses for normal vision. But I do need 1.75 reading glasses. My first question is where is the value curve on them? The cheap readers that I've been buying online (Readers.com and Readingglasses.com) seem to break, lose the screw, or otherwise deteriorate within a few months. I'd like to get something "substantial" but I'm not sure how much I need to spend and what to get and where. I prefer half-glasses because I like to look over them when reading to see the rest of the world without any vision correction.

My second question involves a bluelight filter. I'm watching my iPhone all day. Is bluelight truly a risk? Does it really need to be filtered? Do the alleged bluelight filters actually do anything? If so to these, where's the value curve for reading glasses that have bluelight filtering. Who sells them?

EDIT: I have no trouble sleeping, etc. because of bluelight and have no issues with other commonly published things involving screens before bed.
Last edited by Leesbro63 on Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

dbr

Re: Reading Glasses With Bluelight Filter

Post by dbr » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:23 am

I have two kinds of reading glasses. One is $5.95 from Amazon that I buy six pairs at a time. They actually have held up OK but a couple have gone in the trash. They did come in a nice case, fit well, and have a good size lens. The other is a multi-hundred dollar pair of prescription reading glasses that also have a small astigmatism correction. They have lasted forever but are now pretty much worn down. Those glasses are a PITA for fear of losing them somewhere and I even had to spend extra money to get a case. I see no incentive to replace the expensive pair ever.

tea_pirate

Post by tea_pirate » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:37 am

iOS has a built in Night Shift feature that does what you're looking for. I use the program f.lux on my desktop PC for the same function.

I'm not sure if blue light is a "risk," but I do find it much easier to read a redshifted screen at night. I also feel like I can use my phone in bed since I started redshifting without affecting my sleep patterns.

farnsy

Post by farnsy » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:48 am

I used blue filter glasses for quite a while (all the time) and I am pretty sure it did help me get to bed at night. I still put them on in the evening when I remember. I think I'll get the blue filter again in my next pair.

About the possibility of blue light damaging our eyes...I talked to my eye doctor and he said damaging effects of blue light are not very significant and pretty much restricted to children. Of course, he said, everyone is different.

Stich

Post by Stich » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:50 am

I am in a similar situation needing only readers for work. I was able to purchase a pair from Warby Paker for $145 (lenses w/bluelight filter and frames). My insurance covered the glasses and frames, but I had to out of pocket the bluelight filter. Overall, I have been very happy with the quality of the glasses, and although it might be purchase bias, I feel that the lenses are much higher quality than drugstore readers.

As to the bluelight filter, I have not noticed a huge difference. I was slightly concerned if they were even filtered when they first arrived because I expected a dramatic difference. The only time I notice the bluelight filter is when I hold them over white paper. You can see that the light passing through them is yellow.

oldcomputerguy
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Post by oldcomputerguy » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:54 am

Regarding the discussion of bluelight and whether it causes eye damage, just a reminder of forum policy:

Medical Issues:
Questions on medical issues are beyond the scope of the forum. If you are looking for medical information online, I suggest you start with the Medical Library Association's User's Guide to Finding and Evaluating Health Information on the Web which, in addition to providing guidance on evaluating health information, includes a list of their top recommended sites.
"I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people; and if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you." (Aaron Sorkin)

WWJBDo

Post by WWJBDo » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:25 am

I have separate computer and reading glasses. The computer glasses are simply less strong because they work for a longer focal length (in my case, readers = +1.50 and computer glasses = +0.75).
Flexies are an inexpensive, color coded choice for me (lots of color options).
https://www.speert.com/calabria-714-fle ... g-glasses/
As an aside, the Flexie +4.50 are GREAT magnifiers I keep in the shop for close up work.

I did initially have problems with them only lasting a few months. Now when they arrive I use the 4.50 magnifiers and put a tiny drop of superglue on the plastic rivet connections and they last forever. It's important to blow on the glasses when applying the glue, as the fumes can cause a milky film to form otherwise.

Maybe that's too complicated for some, but it works well for me.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." Upton Sinclair

dbr

Post by dbr » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:30 am

WWJBDo wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:25 am
I have separate computer and reading glasses. The computer glasses are simply less strong because they work for a longer focal length (in my case, readers = +1.50 and computer glasses = +0.75).
Flexies are an inexpensive, color coded choice for me (lots of color options).
https://www.speert.com/calabria-714-fle ... g-glasses/
As an aside, the Flexie +4.50 are GREAT magnifiers I keep in the shop for close up work.
Right. As to computer vs reading dividing the power in half for computer seems to be a good guideline.