Walking shoes

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Cookiegirl

Walking shoes

Post by Cookiegirl » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:03 pm

Need some recommendations for good walking shoes, we are headed to Europe on a viking cruise, plan to do a ton of walking (cobblestone streets, etc) and want good shoes or low hiking sneakers. Please help, thanks

Conch55

Re: Walking shoes

Post by Conch55 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:10 pm

Do you walk now? I say that because knowing what works for you seems like recipe for success. If you have a walking shoe you like then that simplifies things. If not, I recommend you get the shoe with enough lead time to determine if you are comfortable in them. I like Asics but I've had years of experience with them.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:25 pm

I walk about 4 to 15 miles almost every day. I use a variety of shoes because they are all good and a shoe company that sells walking shoes would go out of business if their shoes were crap.

I been satisfied with New Balance, Nike, Altra, Adidas, Merrell, Brooks, Asics, Rockport, Topsiders, and probably some others. I use cheap inserts from Spenco as well. I can move a set of inserts to just about any shoe and do great, but I don't have to.

Basically, what I am writing is that you will probably get a recommendation for every possible shoe. :)
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

J G Bankerton

Post by J G Bankerton » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:34 pm

Rockport

stan1

Post by stan1 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:43 pm

I'd start with two decisions:
Do you want an athletic shoe that is a little dressy or a dressy shoe that is constructed like an athletic shoe? I usually choose the latter.

Do you want a water resistant shoe? I usually do.

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:06 pm

J G Bankerton wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:34 pm
Rockport
Feet must be different. I had a very bad experience with Rockports years ago (bad blisters etc.). I will never buy another pair.

I keep buying Merrells every time I wear a pair out. Works for me.

OP should buy something and wear it for several weeks NOW. Then decide if the brand is working or not working.

I have no hesitation traveling with walking shoes that look like walking shoes. Comfort is most important.

Elena

Post by Elena » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:16 pm

Birkenstonck Arizona (soft footbed or not), or any other Birkenstock model with wide straps.
I have climbed the Great Wall of China, walked through stone paved Europe, gone off trail in America... with one pair of sandals and a spare one to let the leather dry overnight. I sent them to be rebuilt after six years, though I bought extra pairs when in Germany for 50-60 euros.
For winter, Camper peu cami. They are both flat. I like to feel the ground. The sandals require more awareness on my part, which I am happy to provide.
For the Camino de Santiago, any sneaker with a bit of cushioning will do (8 hours of non-stop walking requires something a bit different).

MNGopher

Post by MNGopher » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:55 pm

Hoka One One (pronounced own-ay) is a running shoe company, but I like them for walking. Tons of cushioning.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:01 pm

stan1 wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:43 pm
I'd start with two decisions:
Do you want an athletic shoe that is a little dressy or a dressy shoe that is constructed like an athletic shoe? I usually choose the latter.

Do you want a water resistant shoe? I usually do.
When I travel for pleasure I typically wear a hiking type shoe because they are water resistant and have a thick sole which tends to elevate the body of the shoe above very shallow standing water. The stiffer sole also stands up against the uneven pavement and cobbles in older places.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

Nissanzx1

Post by Nissanzx1 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:17 pm

Hoka One One or New Balance for Athletic and Merrell for Hiking. You will thank me later ;)

rich126

Post by rich126 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:18 pm

I use a pair of black gortex shoes from Ecco. They are dressy enough to wear most anywhere and the waterproof allows me to bring just that pair. I've found them to be very comfortable.

Make sure anything you buy, you wear for a few months before taking on a trip. You don't want to be in pain on a vacation.

midareff

Post by midareff » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:22 pm

Cookiegirl wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:03 pm
Need some recommendations for good walking shoes, we are headed to Europe on a viking cruise, plan to do a ton of walking (cobblestone streets, etc) and want good shoes or low hiking sneakers. Please help, thanks
Heya Cookiegirl.... we are on Vikings sailing June 4 or 5 I think out of Amsterdam. From experience any flat soled sneaker you are comfortable in will work fine. Any sneaker or shoe wit a lug type bottom has the opportunity to snag on things and cause tripping. Harder sole, softer inside flat bottom, is the way to go with flat sole.

jayk238

Post by jayk238 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:25 pm

Cookiegirl wrote:
If you plumb the depths of this website you will find countless recommendations.

My personal recommendations are the scarpa mojito and the samuel hubbards. Both are well made and designed for walking.

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:50 pm

Recently in Berlin, Dresden and Prague and between my Asics trainers and Skechers casual model, my feet were happy. The Asics were great especially on the cobblestone streets as they provided better support and the Skechers great for museums, airports and aircraft, lightweight and comfortable.

zero sum guy

Post by zero sum guy » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:57 pm

Nothing like Skechers GOGA MAX. Like walking on soft pillows. These are slip ons and very easy to get in and out of them.
Looks fashionable in both casual and semi formal settings.
Not waterproof though, so you might want to bring a pair of hikers in case of rain or walking in puddles.
Never go cheap about your feet.
Last edited by zero sum guy on Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jeff Albertson

Post by Jeff Albertson » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:04 pm

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:04 pm

I’m training for a Camino. I’ve found pretty much any Merrell works for me. My training partner can’t wear Merrell, but loves Hoka One Ones, which don’t fit me right. We both found that shoes that work for 3 miles don’t necessarily work at 10 miles.

As we increase the distance, we keep ending up back at REI, trying more shoes.

If you have time, get out and do some walks before you go.

MJS

Post by MJS » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:22 pm

Feet vary a lot, and shoes that are fantastic for one person may be awful for another. Go to an independent shoe store with a large selection of practical shoes (rather than business or formal shoes.) Get both your feet measured. Wear an old pair of walking shoes: have the assistant look at the wear pattern on your shoes (most on outer or inner heel, where the ball of your foot hits, how has the lining been rubbed...) This will help determine if you need a low or high heel drop (slant between toes & heel; the cup for your heel) and where padding should go. Some styles and some brands are better for people with very narrow or very wide feet, for very high arches or flat feet, or for a narrow heel but average ball width. Consider getting 2 pairs of insoles for your shoes so you can rest one pair each day.

Unicorn1

Post by Unicorn1 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:19 pm

I third or fourth the recommendation for looking into Hoka's. Nurses are on their feet all day long and I always see them wearing Hoka's. They are mainly used for running, but work great for walking. Make sure to buy the type intended for your foot type. The Hoka Bondi has the most cushioning of any Hoka model but is best suited for neutral feet (not overpronators). Pretty much any Hoka will have more cushioning than your typical running or walking shoe. Hoka's are very expensive (and oftentimes very ugly) but they will last twice as long as most other shoes and its like walking on a cloud. Typical price is $140-180 per pair. I enthusiastically recommend them for running and walking. You can find them in running stores or buy directly from their website.

DesertDiva

Post by DesertDiva » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:49 pm

♫ Stocks go up ♫ Stocks go down ♫ Stocks go up ♫ Stocks go down ♫

radiowave

Post by radiowave » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:32 pm

Socks are an important consideration as well. I use both an inner light wool or silk sock and a medium weight rag or smart wool sock (REI for both). That helps absorb some of the trauma on your feet. Vibram soles are rugged and work well on rough surfaces.
Bogleheads Wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page

spammagnet

Post by spammagnet » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:07 pm

Cookiegirl wrote:
Need some recommendations for good walking shoes, we are headed to Europe on a viking cruise, plan to do a ton of walking (cobblestone streets, etc) and want good shoes or low hiking sneakers. Please help, thanks.
Cobblestone will kill your feet if you walk on it a lot. I suggest avoiding soft-soled shoes like your average running shoes or similar trainers. I have a pair of low-sided Ahnu's that I use for day-hiking. I can recommend the brand but the shoes I have might look out of place in the places you'd visit on a river cruise.

Irisheyes

Post by Irisheyes » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:30 pm

Chiming in to give another vote for Merrells. Always comfy right from the beginning and stay that way til they wear out.

I've also had luck with On Cloud. Their waterproof hiking shoes are particularly comfortable and bulletproof.

Yooper16

Post by Yooper16 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:23 am

Used to like, Mephisto and/or Ecco. Since moving to a location where these brands are not available without a significant road trip, we now like Keen and Merrill as they are readily available here in the northlands.

Yooper16

Post by Yooper16 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:29 am

MJS wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:22 pm
Feet vary a lot, and shoes that are fantastic for one person may be awful for another. Go to an independent shoe store with a large selection of practical shoes (rather than business or formal shoes.) Get both your feet measured. Wear an old pair of walking shoes: have the assistant look at the wear pattern on your shoes (most on outer or inner heel, where the ball of your foot hits, how has the lining been rubbed...) This will help determine if you need a low or high heel drop (slant between toes & heel; the cup for your heel) and where padding should go. Some styles and some brands are better for people with very narrow or very wide feet, for very high arches or flat feet, or for a narrow heel but average ball width. Consider getting 2 pairs of insoles for your shoes so you can rest one pair each day.
This is the best response you have received.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:50 am

radiowave wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:32 pm
Socks are an important consideration as well. I use both an inner light wool or silk sock and a medium weight rag or smart wool sock (REI for both). That helps absorb some of the trauma on your feet. Vibram soles are rugged and work well on rough surfaces.
I wear wool year round when I wear my hiking shoes. Lightweight wool is comfortable, wicks moisture out and is very durable.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:53 am

MJS wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:22 pm
That is why recommending a specific brand is a waste of time on threads like this. Different makers seem to be better for different feet.

Ecco works for me but not for my spouse.

I have been to more than one small indie shoe shop where they measure and look at old shoes as you describe. They also have me walk - with and without shoes to look at the way I walk. One of the shops was run as a side business by a podiatrist. It was a breakthrough for me.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:05 am

I would not mix Zero Drop shoes like Altra or perhaps Hoka with traditional "drop" shoes.

If you have experience with Altra, I would try on some different Altra shoes and pick a well cushioned, trail type shoe if you like zero drop. I also like the wide foot shaped toe box. Even if you don't have wide feet, they give your toes room to spread out naturally.

Most shoes have a 4mm, 8mm or 12mm heel. Meaning the heel is above the ball of the foot. That heel rise changes everything in your walking/running stride. You use different muscles. Some muscles don't have to work at all. You tend to heel strike and over stride. The shoe market it interesting, to say the least.

Once you transition to a zero drop, it is hard to think about going back. I would avoid gore-tex as it is hot. Good luck on your shoe selection!
"We are not here to agree with you; we are here to provoke thoughtfulness." Unknown Boglehead | “It’s not things that upset us but rather our opinions about things.” Epictetus

spammagnet

Post by spammagnet » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:43 pm

jebmke wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:53 am
That is why recommending a specific brand is a waste of time on threads like this. Different makers seem to be better for different feet. ...
It's probably not a total waste. Yes, specific fit is relevant, but knowing where to start is a help. If the OP or other readers aren't familiar with the topic, they might not know which brands are well-constructed and perform well for others. I've never heard of some of the brands mentioned here and may have use for the information in the near future.

Sam1

Post by Sam1 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:56 pm

Really happy with me Eccos. Have held up well and incredibly comfortable. European friend introduced me to them. Worth the $ since they last season after season. I walk on average 5 miles a day running errands and to/from work

Gnirk

Post by Gnirk » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:00 pm

When walking for exercise at home, I wear New Balance. However, when sightseeing in Europe, I don’t like wearing athletic-looking shoes, which is just a personal preference. I wear a leather Mary Jane style shoe from Naot called Matai, and a shoe from Dansko, and I alternate them daily. I’ve walked all over London, Paris, and 2 weeks in old Avignon, and all the tours on three different Viking cruises wearing these shoes. I order at least 2 pairs of each every year because I wear them most of the time as my every day shoes.

anonenigma

Post by anonenigma » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:00 pm

Sam1 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:56 pm
Really happy with me Eccos. Have held up well and incredibly comfortable. European friend introduced me to them. Worth the $ since they last season after season. I walk on average 5 miles a day running errands and to/from work
I had three pairs of Eccos, purchased 11 years ago, whose bottoms disintegrated after very little use. I don't think I'll take the risk again.

Elric

Post by Elric » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:02 pm

I mostly wear my New Balance trainers unless I really need something nicer or it's very rough ground. For something nicer, I really like Duluth Trader's Wild Boar trail shoes. For rough ground, my hiking boots.
"No man is free who works for a living." | Illya Kuryakin

phxjcc

Post by phxjcc » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:10 pm

Merrill Moab
Men's and women's models, high and mid tops, and width sizing available, although only to 2E.
Great for cobblestone as the low version gives plenty of support.
Regular and waterproof models.
Waterproof models are great, but feet will be swimming in perspiration on hot days.

Brooks beast 18
Women's called by another name (Ariel), width sizing up to 4E.
Absolutely the most comfortable shoe made and it is the running shoe with the most cushioning.
Podiatrist recommended for shin splints and planter fasciitis.
Do NOT get the previous model, they changed the last on the previous model and it was horrid and went back to original last on the 18.
All day comfort.