Park City Utah Hiking

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Bacchus01

Park City Utah Hiking

Post by Bacchus01 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:53 am

I know there are a lot of hikers here, so I thought I’d ask.

I have a business trip to Park City Utah in late June. I’d like to go early and get some good hiking in.

I’m looking for two bike recommendations. One a nice 3-4 hour with good scenery, maybe the lakes, etc. willing to drive several hours if necessary.

Then I’d like to do a much harder one. The highest peak seems like it is not doable (like 26 miles round trip) but something like Bald Mountain looks good. I have some experience at altitude, completing a 14K hike last summer in Colorado. I prefer loops, but out and back are okay. 4-6 hours is ideal and something under 8 miles with lots of elevation. I want 11K door min and 12k foot ideally.

Any strong recommendations?

Thanks!

livesoft

Re: Park City Utah Hiking

Post by livesoft » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:54 am

I have not been there in 40 years, so cannot give a specific recommendation. But if you haven't already, then I would check out AllTrails.com for some ideas and recent comments from actual hikers.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:00 am

I'm doing Mount Timpanogos https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/utah ... spen-grove with my wife and about 25 friends (mostly my employees) on June 22nd. Not too congested if you hit it early enough. About a 30min drive from Park City. We've done pretty much everything in the area that is <8hrs for people in good shape; planning on doing King's Peak next year. Hit AllTrails for more options.

InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:26 am

Lots of good hiking books for hiking in the Wasatch and the Uintas
https://www.wasatchhiker.com/favorites

There's a lotta snow up there, the highest trails may still have some in late June.

Mirror Lake highway provides lots of out door hiking in the mountains
https://www.alltrails.com/us/utah/kamas

Topic Author
Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:29 am

livesoft wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:54 am
I have not been there in 40 years, so cannot give a specific recommendation. But if you haven't already, then I would check out AllTrails.com for some ideas and recent comments from actual hikers.
Thank you. I have AllTrails. The problem is that in that area there are about a thousand hikes on alltrails!

Topic Author
Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:32 am

stoptothink wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:00 am
I'm doing Mount Timpanogos https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/utah ... spen-grove with my wife and about 25 friends (mostly my employees) on June 22nd. Not too congested if you hit it early enough. About a 30min drive from Park City. We've done pretty much everything in the area that is <8hrs for people in good shape; planning on doing King's Peak next year. Hit AllTrails for more options.
I will do it that weekend or the weekend before. Can you cover that distance in <8 hours? Long trail but looks fantastic.

DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:48 am

If you have a smart phone, REI's hiking project app which have lots of trails on it. Some popular trails will be in the featured hikes section. I rolled into Stanley Idaho in the Sawtooth Mountains, sparked up the app and did one of the featured hikes (sawtooth lake) which was spectucular.

For biking, take a look at REI's MTB project app.
Last edited by DSInvestor on Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki

gfirero

Post by gfirero » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:53 am

The Wasatch is very different from the Uintas. The Uintas are higher, but rounder and more forested. Reminds people of the Appalachians.
The Wasatch is very rocky and has more extreme elevation changes. In general, Wasatch trail heads are closer to Park City.

If you want to see both ranges than doing Bald Mountain and Timp is a great idea.
Timp is perhaps my favorite hike in all of Utah. Waterfalls, mountain goats, wildflowers, snow field, lakes - what more could you ask for.
You don't have to go all the way to the top to have an amazing experience. You can make it a loop.

Bald Mountain is high and short. There are a lot of other hikes off of the Mirror Lake Highway that go to lakes, not peaks. Ruth Lake is popular. Ibatnik is also a good one.

The only reason you would need to drive 6 hours is to get away from the crowds, no reason to drive that far to find wonderful hiking.

I think this is a mis-type
Bacchus01 wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:53 am
I’m looking for two bike recommendations.
But Park City has some amazing mountain bike trails. Check out the Glenwild area for one that will be dry in late June.

InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:59 am

A photo taken recently of one of the outhouses at a Uintah trail head:
https://www.ksl.com/?sid=46460043&nid=3 ... img=141852

and they will probably get more this week.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:56 pm

Bacchus01 wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:32 am
stoptothink wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:00 am
I will do it that weekend or the weekend before. Can you cover that distance in <8 hours? Long trail but looks fantastic.
Wife and I have done it ~5hrs, but we're going with a big group so we'll probably chill out and aim for about 8hrs.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:27 pm

Bacchus01 wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:29 am
Thank you. I have AllTrails. The problem is that in that area there are about a thousand hikes on alltrails!
That's quite an exaggeration. Turn on the Heat Map overlay along with the Nearby Trails overlay. One can instantly see the most popular trails. There are other filters / search tools as well.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Old Guy

Post by Old Guy » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:40 pm

Im 76. Just walking up Main St. is enough of a hike for me.

Do really like Park City. We try and go every summer for a week.

Topic Author
Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:54 pm

livesoft wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:27 pm
Bacchus01 wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:29 am
That's quite an exaggeration. Turn on the Heat Map overlay along with the Nearby Trails overlay. One can instantly see the most popular trails. There are other filters / search tools as well.
How is it an exaggeration? Park City and Salt Lake City each bring up over 500 each. I said I would drive for it. There are easily 1,000+ within easy driving distance.

telemark

Post by telemark » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:18 pm

The snow pack is unusually high this year, so you may want to take that into consideration. You might think it would all be gone by late June, and that might be wrong. I suggest having several possibilities in mind, and choosing on the basis of the weather that day.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:35 pm

telemark wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:18 pm
The snow pack is unusually high this year, so you may want to take that into consideration. You might think it would all be gone by late June, and that might be wrong. I suggest having several possibilities in mind, and choosing on the basis of the weather that day.
Yep, we are seriously wondering what Timp will look like the end of June. We're <5 miles from dozens of good trails (Little and Big Baldy, Squaw Peak) and as of last weekend the bottom of the trailheads were still covered in snow. We didn't even bother this weekend because of some sprinkling.

Topic Author
Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 » Sun May 12, 2019 9:28 pm

telemark wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:18 pm
Good to know!

Topic Author
Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 » Mon May 13, 2019 6:23 pm

Do you need bear spray in this area?

financeguy88

Post by financeguy88 » Mon May 13, 2019 8:00 pm

Another vote for Timpanagos but there will likely be some snow at least on the final ridge unless there is some warm weather so if you're adventurous then at least bring some walking sticks.

If you're not from a higher altitude I wouldn't do it until at least your 3rd day in Park City to give time to acclimatize. It is only around 12k feet so you aren't likely to get deathly ill but much more enjoyable without altitude headaches / stomach aches.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Mon May 13, 2019 8:14 pm

Bacchus01 wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 6:23 pm
I've hiked thousands of miles in Utah, I've never seen a bear. Moose, yes; and they are HUGE.

Topic Author
Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 » Mon May 13, 2019 8:31 pm

financeguy88 wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 8:00 pm
Another vote for Timpanagos but there will likely be some snow at least on the final ridge unless there is some warm weather so if you're adventurous then at least bring some walking sticks.

If you're not from a higher altitude I wouldn't do it until at least your 3rd day in Park City to give time to acclimatize. It is only around 12k feet so you aren't likely to get deathly ill but much more enjoyable without altitude headaches / stomach aches.
I’m thinking of doing it Day 4. Starting early AM.

I’d like to do Bald Mountain too (different day) Can I do that in the afternoon? Fear of lightning?

Random Musings

Post by Random Musings » Mon May 13, 2019 9:13 pm

stoptothink wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 8:14 pm
Bacchus01 wrote:
I've hiked thousands of miles in Utah, I've never seen a bear. Moose, yes; and they are HUGE.
And Moose can be aggressive in certain cases (like getting between mother and calf or males during mating season),, best thing to do is give them space and things should be okay. More people die when their car hits a moose rather than from moose attacks.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ

jmg229

Post by jmg229 » Mon May 13, 2019 9:48 pm

stoptothink wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 8:14 pm
Bacchus01 wrote:
Just to second this, no bear spray is probably fine in that area. Do watch out for rattlesnakes though, depending on where you are going (I was surprised as a non-native Utahn how often we see them hiking when we first got out here). Also, it was a really good snow year (as has already been mentioned). I would plan options at a variety of altitudes and keep an eye on hiking websites to see if anyone has braved it by the time you get out there. I would be very surprised if our 10k elevation hikes are clear before mid-July a bit further north in the state.

MeansNotEnd

Post by MeansNotEnd » Wed May 15, 2019 1:32 pm

Adding a Park City question for late July. I incorporated above info and used book 100 Classic Hikes Utah to develop this plan
Day 1 Arrive, rent campervan, free camp near trailhead
Day 2 hike Mt Timpanogos (can elevation train at home), Sundance Lodge meal, Park City RV (need more than a solar shower before town)
Day 3 town social events
Day 4 rent bikes for half day, free camp near trailhead
Day 5 hike Brighton Lakes or Pfeifferhorn, very late flight home

Any suggestions for the biking? Thinking of renting comfort bikes for 25 mile outing or road bikes for 40 mile ride. When I google search, find epic mountain rides but we aren't those sort of riders. Any safe options you can suggest?

financiallycurious

Post by financiallycurious » Thu May 16, 2019 1:11 pm

Timpanogos is a beautiful hike. I like to start it at 4 am and would recommend it as your one big hike. Another great hike is Wasatch Crest. On the weekend it will be heavily trafficked with mountain bikers, though. You can get a shuttle from the base of PCMR to the top of Guardsman and hike Wasatch Crest until you get to PCMR, then hike bike down to the base from there, which would be a mostly downhill hike, so a good long, but not too hard recover hike after Timpanogos. Mid Mountain trail is also nice and convenient from Park City. You can start it from Deer Valley (at Silverlake or by the Montage), or you can take a lift from the Canyons base or PCMR base, making it a nice hike without too much climbing, or you can start at the base of PCMR and hike up to mid mountain then go in either direction from there.