Moving company lost an antique item

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
meercat8

Moving company lost an antique item

Post by meercat8 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:34 pm

When the movers arrived they were missing one item. They now are "tracing" it. Does anyone have advise or experience with this?

staythecourse

Re: Moving company lost an antique item

Post by staythecourse » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:45 pm

Shouldn't each big item be tagged? Are you sure it was loaded in the first place?

Losing a whole item I would think is rare unless it is forgotten to be loaded in the first place. Unless you got extra insurance you might find yourself in a pickle if it isn't found.

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle

Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:47 pm

meercat8 wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:34 pm
When the movers arrived they were missing one item. They now are "tracing" it. Does anyone have advise or experience with this?
File a claim.

fru-gal

Post by fru-gal » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:48 pm

Did they have more than one family's stuff in the van? Might have been offloaded at the wrong place.

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:18 pm

I think you need to allow a few days for tracing.

If not found soon- file a claim- what you get depends on whether you paid for the "enhanced" insurance.

Usually they tag each item as they load it into the truck. Do you know the item number? Did you see it going out the door?

Topic Author
meercat8

Post by meercat8 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:22 pm

Yes, we do have an inventory list and that item did not get checked off when all the stuff arrived. They think it is in another state where another delivery took place right before ours. But that delivery is in storage for someone who is in the military . I am just hoping that they will work hard to retrieve it.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:31 pm

Every single time that we have used a well-reputed moving company to move our belongings things went missing including one time the contents of an entire shipping container like the one's you see on ships and trains. We never ever got any of the missing items back. Of course, we were insured for replacement costs, filed claims, and got money.

Suggestion: File a claim and don't expect to find it nor get it back.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

fru-gal

Post by fru-gal » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:59 pm

livesoft wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:31 pm
Every single time that we have used a well-reputed moving company to move our belongings things went missing including one time the contents of an entire shipping container like the one's you see on ships and trains. We never ever got any of the missing items back. Of course, we were insured for replacement costs, filed claims, and got money.

Well, I hope the OP persists. It's an antique, it's not like they misplaced a refrigerator.

miamivice

Post by miamivice » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:00 pm

fru-gal wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:59 pm
livesoft wrote:

Well, I hope the OP persists. It's an antique, it's not like they misplaced a refrigerator.
I missed something. Are antiques not replaceable?

fru-gal

Post by fru-gal » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:48 am

miamivice wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:00 pm
fru-gal wrote:
livesoft wrote:

No, often they are not, especially if they have been in the family for generations or one is emotionally attached to them.

Ybsybs

Post by Ybsybs » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:53 am

File a claim.

In my household moves performed by professional moving companies it was fairly common for things to not arrive and for them to attemp to drop off some one else's couch or ottoman. We always rejected the not our stuff. Our missing stuff was sometimes found and delivered late.

Gnirk

Post by Gnirk » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:20 pm

miamivice wrote:
fru-gal wrote:
livesoft wrote:

No, not if they have been handed down through 5 generations, or more. I have my great, great grandmother's sewing rocker, which has been used to rock 6 generations of babies to sleep. Not Replacable.

abner kravitz

Post by abner kravitz » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:31 pm

My last move, the company misplaced a couple of antiques. Probably minimal value except sentimental. It took them a couple of days, but they finally found them. Good luck.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:09 pm

Gnirk wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:20 pm
No, not if they have been handed down through 5 generations, or more. I have my great, great grandmother's sewing rocker, which has been used to rock 6 generations of babies to sleep. Not Replacable.
I would not give an item such as this to movers, but if you do you have to assume there's a chance you will never see it again.

In our case we've gained more than we've lost in moves. Several weeks after the move we noticed a new broom and asked "where did this come from?"

miamivice

Post by miamivice » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:12 am

fru-gal wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:48 am
miamivice wrote:
fru-gal wrote:
livesoft wrote:

No, often they are not, especially if they have been in the family for generations or one is emotionally attached to them.
Oh, you mean heirloom, not antique.

Antique is simply old. You can go to an antique store and buy a old sewing machine. Nothing special.

Heirloom implies sentimental value, like the family has owned it for many years.

miamivice

Post by miamivice » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:13 am

Gnirk wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:20 pm
miamivice wrote:
fru-gal wrote:
livesoft wrote:

That's an heirloom item rather than simply an antique. Antiques can be replaced by buying at an antique store, heirloom items have sentimental value that cannot be replaced.

Topic Author
meercat8

Post by meercat8 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:11 pm

I guess the correct word would be heirloom, because I do have a sentimental attachment to it. I am glad all the other items arrived, and hope they will put in the effort to find this one. Thanks for all the posts!

Carefreeap

Post by Carefreeap » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:27 pm

livesoft wrote:

I have to ask, did it fall off a ship?

I'm glad I didn't hear about this before we moved back from Germany. We had some weird stuff happen including things like melted shoe soles. I guess our container must have been the top one for a while and got overheated in some spots. Oddly enough most of our candles made it through o.k.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:09 pm

Carefreeap wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:27 pm
No. We heard it was in the Port of Baltimore at US Customs. Next thing we heard it was stolen.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Caduceus

Post by Caduceus » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:36 am

Just out of curiosity, are there ways of attaching maybe a GPS tracker to your container so that you can locate it? I thought of maybe dumping an old Iphone in the container and then using "Find my IPhone" if it gets lost, but that's limited by battery life.

The horror stories here make me think that when I next move, I will ship my irreplaceable vintage items by Fedex even though it's expensive and the rest of the stuff using movers.

Carefreeap

Post by Carefreeap » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:36 am

livesoft wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:09 pm
Carefreeap wrote:
No. We heard it was in the Port of Baltimore at US Customs. Next thing we heard it was stolen.
Wow!

Carefreeap

Post by Carefreeap » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:41 am

Caduceus wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:36 am
Just out of curiosity, are there ways of attaching maybe a GPS tracker to your container so that you can locate it? I thought of maybe dumping an old Iphone in the container and then using "Find my IPhone" if it gets lost, but that's limited by battery life.

The horror stories here make me think that when I next move, I will ship my irreplaceable vintage items by Fedex even though it's expensive and the rest of the stuff using movers.
For containers they can use RFI. When we moved back to the US I remember being able to track where the boat was.

There is no risk-free way of shipping. If the container fell off the boat due to storms tracking wouldn't have helped except to let us know that it was at the bottom of the ocean.

We have some potentially valuable items (DH has a famous relative who owned/grew up with these items). I plan on donating them to some museums but the shipping (and risk!) is going to be on them. :wink:

Caduceus

Post by Caduceus » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:18 am

Carefreeap wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:36 am
livesoft wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:09 pm
Carefreeap wrote:
Wow!
I think they were just giving a bs answer. How do you steal an entire container that is being shipped on a planned itinerary? Probably ineptitude, and then the shipping company invented an excuse. I bet Livesoft's container got misplaced and its contents, after having been unclaimed for ages, got auctioned off or something like that.