Ingenious Way To Find Reasonably Priced Painter

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
DTalos

Ingenious Way To Find Reasonably Priced Painter

Post by DTalos » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:40 pm

Yes, I have asked neighbors for recommendations and either the bids were too high or the bids were higher than what my neighbors paid for the exact same tract house, despite me having done most of the prep work. I don't like to be price discriminated against. Is there an ingenious way to find a reasonably priced painter? I come across to the painters as pleasant but somewhat informed and educated.

Scrapr

Re: Ingenious Way To Find Reasonably Priced Painter

Post by Scrapr » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:44 pm

perhaps the painters are factoring in the PITA factor? If you did the prep they may see that as a positive or a negative. They may have to redo your prep. Their paint may not work well with your prep work. The paint fails in a year and you go back against them

just spit balling

mptfan

Post by mptfan » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:47 pm

DTalos wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:40 pm
Yes, I have asked neighbors for recommendations and either the bids were too high or the bids were higher than what my neighbors paid for the exact same tract house, despite me having done most of the prep work.
My first thought was, if you have done most of the prep work why not just finish the job yourself?

Topic Author
DTalos

Post by DTalos » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:50 pm

Scrapr wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:44 pm
perhaps the painters are factoring in the PITA factor? If you did the prep they may see that as a positive or a negative. They may have to redo your prep. Their paint may not work well with your prep work. The paint fails in a year and you go back against them

just spit balling
When the house was last painted, a decade ago, the painter was impressed with my prep work and have me a discount for it :happy

Topic Author
DTalos

Post by DTalos » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:57 pm

mptfan wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:47 pm
DTalos wrote:
Yes, I have asked neighbors for recommendations and either the bids were too high or the bids were higher than what my neighbors paid for the exact same tract house, despite me having done most of the prep work.
My first thought was, if you have done most of the prep work why not just finish the job yourself?

I don't have the equipment or skills.

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:04 pm

Try again later in the year. We are getting close to outdoor painting season so maybe they have all the business they need.

It's possible they may have decided that you would be more trouble than the usual customer.

Teague

Post by Teague » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:08 pm

DTalos wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:50 pm
Scrapr wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:44 pm

just spit balling
When the house was last painted, a decade ago, the painter was impressed with my prep work and have me a discount for it :happy
Sounds like maybe you should try to find that painter again.
Semper Augustus

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:11 pm

Is this to paint the inside of the house or the outside?

renue74

Post by renue74 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:15 pm

Shotgun approach....get as many quotes as you can. Check references after you found somebody who will return your call and quote you.

cashmoney

Post by cashmoney » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:15 pm

DTalos wrote:
Yes, I have asked neighbors for recommendations and either the bids were too high or the bids were higher than what my neighbors paid for the exact same tract house, despite me having done most of the prep work. I don't like to be price discriminated against. Is there an ingenious way to find a reasonably priced painter? I come across to the painters as pleasant but somewhat informed and educated.

Go to your local Sherwin Williams store and ask about paint contractors that buy their paint there.You can gleam some good intel there like if the painter is a drunk - like half of them are.Also you can find out the price of the contractor paint.I believe they get about 10% discount.

Topic Author
DTalos

Post by DTalos » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:34 pm

cashmoney wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:15 pm
DTalos wrote:

Go to your local Sherwin Williams store and ask about paint contractors that buy their paint there.You can gleam some good intel there like if the painter is a drunk - like half of them are.Also you can find out the price of the contractor paint.I believe they get about 10% discount.
Would I get a better recommendation as far as a reasonably priced painter from a paint store in a lower income vs upper income area?

Topic Author
DTalos

Post by DTalos » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:35 pm

Kenkat wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:11 pm
Outside

WaffleCone

Post by WaffleCone » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:39 pm

cashmoney wrote:
+1. Normally I go to the supply house, paint store, etc. to get recommendations.

But for my latest project, on a whim, I called a painter that advertises on the little league field. I let him do most of the talking, and told him I liked to support companies that support the kids. So far he was my best estimate.

His quote was $4500 to paint 10 rooms averaging 10x12 in size. Primer on new drywall + two coats + all trim. Sherwin Williams paint. Other estimates were $8,600 and $15,000.

Similar craziness with drywall estimates. $5,000 - $16,700 same job. Got the $5000 guy from the drywall distributor. His work is great!

Keep calling around until you get a price you like. Good luck.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:15 pm

One thing to remember, the good painters aren't waiting by their phones for you to call them, they are busy painting.

In fact the same thing applies to most trades. That is why if someone in our neighborhood has something done, we all get a review of the services.

While our remodel was being done, we discovered a leak in the dining room, which was just getting new flooring. When they pulled up the old floor, there was a damp spot. The floor guys told us about it so we could get it fixed, otherwise our nice new floor would have certainly be damaged at some point in time. The leak was temporarily sealed, pending opening up an portion of a wall. The room dried out, and the floor was installed.

Today we finally got the team that did the drywall for our new kitchen last month back out to permanently seal up the leak. Tomorrow they will put the drywall and insulation back. Fortunately there wasn't hardly any mold at all, I was afraid we would see a lot, so the leak was apparently fairly new.

Wife was worried about the time it was taking to get them back out, but, they are good and they stay busy. The temporary seal held, so no lasting damage except drywall and insulation, which had to be replaced anyway.

A good trades person is like a good auto mechanic, you need to hold on to them, get on their schedule when they can work you in.

It is unlikely you will get top quality work unless you are paying for it. Unfortunately, in your first experience with a trades person you might pay for quality and not get it. It happens, too often.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

beyou

Post by beyou » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:19 pm

I hired the most expensive painter when I got bids years ago.
Some ran around and in seconds determined their lowball bid.
One took careful notes, inspected every detail and prepared a detail big including all he would repair not just paint.
It was a no brainer to hire the buy who would "do it right", not come back for more later, and I would be satisfied with outcome.
Last I want to do is have them back again soon...and small more paint.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:35 pm

It may be that prices have gone up since your neighbors had their houses painted.

The best paint job I ever got was from the most expensive painter. Just sayin’.

The hard part of a paint job is the prep work. Slapping the paint on is the easy part. Anything you need to DIY is easy to rent.

baconavocado

Post by baconavocado » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:16 pm

All the painting contractors in my area are Caucasian guys who drive $100K pickups. After you sign the contract their Hispanic crew shows up in a 25 year old pickup or van. I would prefer to deal directly with the guys who actually do the painting but apparently they aren't licensed. My neighbor hires them directly, the unlicensed guys, at a huge discount. I tell him, what if they fall off a ladder or something and sue you. He says he has them sign a waiver. They do great work.

Topic Author
DTalos

Post by DTalos » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:55 pm

baconavocado wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:16 pm
All the painting contractors in my area are Caucasian guys who drive $100K pickups. After you sign the contract their Hispanic crew shows up in a 25 year old pickup or van. I would prefer to deal directly with the guys who actually do the painting but apparently they aren't licensed. My neighbor hires them directly, the unlicensed guys, at a huge discount. I tell him, what if they fall off a ladder or something and sue you. He says he has them sign a waiver. They do great work.
My friend got a bid from a painter who works for a large painting contractor and his bid was the same as a licensed painting contractor. I understand the concept and premise of your post though.

drawpoker

Post by drawpoker » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:51 pm

cashmoney wrote:
Go to your local Sherwin Williams store and ask about paint contractors that buy their paint there.You can gleam some good intel there like if the painter is a drunk - like half of them are.Also you can find out the price of the contractor paint.I believe they get about 10% discount......
OMG, so true, cashmoney, we must be neighbors living in same town :P
Having had some recent exp. with just this thing - I learned this from my local SW store:

The contractor's discount is a range like 35%-50% Depending on if it is the high-end stuff like the "Emerald" label or the lesser quality paint.

Altho the SW people are reluctant (understandably so) to label any as a drunk - they will give you discernible clues to pick up on, i.e., so-and-so is described as being "hard to reach" by phone or email. Or so-and-so is likely not carrying full liability insurance anymore, just costs so much.

If you live in one of the states that has a free, online judiciary case search feature, look up the guy (or his DBA)
One painter, in business for over 30 years and a regular advertiser in local print media, had so many judgements/IRS/ state/tax liens against him, it made me run in opposite direction. Later, one of the friendly clerks at SW told me that the price that guy had quoted me for painting just a bedroom was ridiculously high - he should be ashamed of himself :annoyed

Best advice - If you can't do the job yourself (like the OP) at least buy all the paint yourself when the stores have their 30% and 40% off sales. Then, get quotes from painters for labor only.

Topic Author
DTalos

Post by DTalos » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:11 am

drawpoker wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:51 pm
cashmoney wrote:
Go to your local Sherwin Williams store and ask about paint contractors that buy their paint there.You can gleam some good intel there like if the painter is a drunk - like half of them are.Also you can find out the price of the contractor paint.I believe they get about 10% discount......
OMG, so true, cashmoney, we must be neighbors living in same town :P
Having had some recent exp. with just this thing - I learned this from my local SW store:

The contractor's discount is a range like 35%-50% Depending on if it is the high-end stuff like the "Emerald" label or the lesser quality paint.

Altho the SW people are reluctant (understandably so) to label any as a drunk - they will give you discernible clues to pick up on, i.e., so-and-so is described as being "hard to reach" by phone or email. Or so-and-so is likely not carrying full liability insurance anymore, just costs so much.

If you live in one of the states that has a free, online judiciary case search feature, look up the guy (or his DBA)
One painter, in business for over 30 years and a regular advertiser in local print media, had so many judgements/IRS/ state/tax liens against him, it made me run in opposite direction. Later, one of the friendly clerks at SW told me that the price that guy had quoted me for painting just a bedroom was ridiculously high - he should be ashamed of himself :annoyed

Best advice - If you can't do the job yourself (like the OP) at least buy all the paint yourself when the stores have their 30% and 40% off sales. Then, get quotes from painters for labor only.

Thank you for the tips. If I buy the paint and show it to prospective painters, do you think I might get a high quote because they know I am stuck with paint? Do you think a paint store 25 miles away in a lower income part of town might offer a better lead vs one close to home?

mancich

Post by mancich » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:38 am

Broken Man 1999 wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:15 pm
One thing to remember, the good painters aren't waiting by their phones for you to call them, they are busy painting.

In fact the same thing applies to most trades. That is why if someone in our neighborhood has something done, we all get a review of the services.

While our remodel was being done, we discovered a leak in the dining room, which was just getting new flooring. When they pulled up the old floor, there was a damp spot. The floor guys told us about it so we could get it fixed, otherwise our nice new floor would have certainly be damaged at some point in time. The leak was temporarily sealed, pending opening up an portion of a wall. The room dried out, and the floor was installed.

Today we finally got the team that did the drywall for our new kitchen last month back out to permanently seal up the leak. Tomorrow they will put the drywall and insulation back. Fortunately there wasn't hardly any mold at all, I was afraid we would see a lot, so the leak was apparently fairly new.

Wife was worried about the time it was taking to get them back out, but, they are good and they stay busy. The temporary seal held, so no lasting damage except drywall and insulation, which had to be replaced anyway.

A good trades person is like a good auto mechanic, you need to hold on to them, get on their schedule when they can work you in.

It is unlikely you will get top quality work unless you are paying for it. Unfortunately, in your first experience with a trades person you might pay for quality and not get it. It happens, too often.

Broken Man 1999
+1 Totally agree. A great contractor is worth their weight in gold.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:09 am

cashmoney wrote:
DTalos wrote:

Or see if you're ready to buy what they're selling for 40% off right now (April 12-15). I'm not familiar with their sales, so is this a recurrent even or a good sale for them? [I searched a couple of deal sites and looks like they regularly hod these types of events around April and October for a few days and also saw some 30% off sales other times]

https://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeow ... nd-coupons

sk2101

Post by sk2101 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:55 am

Nextdoor.com is a good source for references of tradespeople from other people in your neighborhood.

onourway

Post by onourway » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:28 am

In our area it would be impossible to hire a competent exterior painter for this season now. They would be booking you for next year.

DoTheMath

Post by DoTheMath » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:10 am

How is it nobody suggested that people might be willing to pay for the privilege of painting the OP's house?

For example, see here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Adven ... Tom_Sawyer

:happy
“I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains...” -- John Muir

Nowizard

Post by Nowizard » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:36 am

We are selling our home and our Realtor, who often has this question asked, referred us to painters who did a marvelous job at an excellent price. We will use them in the future rather than one we have used for many years.

Tim

carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:55 am

Home construction and home improvement subs have been crazy busy in our area in last year or so. My son is a re-modeler and he says it is often hard to get anyone to respond to a call. If that is true in your area, the best painters are going to have plenty of work and will be inclined to quote a high price, if they quote at all. Be sure to check references when you do find somebody. I would caution you about accepting low bid. You will be looking at the results of their work for years, so you want a good paint job.

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:05 am

[/quote]
Or see if you're ready to buy what they're selling for 40% off right now (April 12-15). I'm not familiar with their sales, so is this a recurrent even or a good sale for them? [I searched a couple of deal sites and looks like they regularly hod these types of events around April and October for a few days and also saw some 30% off sales other times]

[/quote]

In my area its recurrent and typical for their retail product.

SmallCityDave

Post by SmallCityDave » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:15 am

DTalos wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:57 pm
mptfan wrote:
DTalos wrote:

This isn't rocket science, the hardest part is the prep you are informed and educated.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:24 am

If you buy the paint, they will probably charge you more. Painters often have a particular brand of paint that they like to work with.

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:31 am

DTalos wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:35 pm
Kenkat wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:11 pm
Outside
I don’t know what your house is like, but I am very comfortable painting and would never try to paint the outside of my house. 45 degree slope roofs, peaks above the slope, etc. No thanks - I get your skills/equipment point.

If you can, I think your best bet is to wait until later this summer and then contact some contractors and tell them you are flexible on time if they can get you into their schedule when things slow down a bit for them. Spring is prime time for everyone wanting to spruce up.

Hikes_With_Dogs

Post by Hikes_With_Dogs » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:07 am

DTalos wrote:
I'm always amazed when people want to hire someone for a job they lack the skills and equipment for but demand that the prices being charged to perform that job are too high. You get what you pay for usually. There is no magic.

RetiredArtist

Post by RetiredArtist » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:31 am

baconavocado wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:16 pm
While unlicensed people may not sue you if they are injured working on your house, don't you want them to be covered by workers comp, for ethical reasons? It's easy to look up contractors on your state contractors licensing board website, to see if they are licensed & insured.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:46 pm

Hikes_With_Dogs wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:07 am
DTalos wrote:
I'm always amazed when people want to hire someone for a job they lack the skills and equipment for but demand that the prices being charged to perform that job are too high. You get what you pay for usually. There is no magic.
“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” - Oscar Wilde

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten." - Benjamin Franklin

Paying too much for a quality job is a much better outcome than paying less for a poor quality job, IMHO.

OP, what is most important to you, quality, or price? Me, I would be cautious trying to squeeze the last nickle out of the price.

BTW, have you tried HomeAdviser or Angie'sList? I have used both on jobs that require a low skill set. I don't think I would use them for a house remodel or complex tasks, but painting would probably be fine.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

jharkin

Post by jharkin » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:00 pm

DTalos wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:57 pm
mptfan wrote:
DTalos wrote:

Then you probably havent "prepped" nearly as well as you think you have. Prep is 90% of the work in housepainting... By the time you crack a gallon of paint you are nearly done.

jharkin

Post by jharkin » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:09 pm

bob60014 wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:05 am

In my area its recurrent and typical for their retail product.
In my area the mid-range painters use SW... Typically Woodscapes with Duration on the trim. Higher end outfits are using Ben Moore Products - Arborcoat and Aura. I cant tell you if it will last longer but personally Im a fan of Moore. Especially using it DIY the Aura is a dream to work (zero odor, dries in minutes and covers very well) with and worth the price IMHO.

There will be a significant price difference if they are going to brush the siding, spray it, or spray and back brush. I was hesitant at first but got my house sprayed he last time (brushed trim) and the result actually came out excellent in a fraction of the time. The new airless sprayers good contractors use also dont waste nearly as much paint as they used to.

If any pro has cans of box store paint (Behr, Valspar) I would not even consider them....

Benbo

Post by Benbo » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:13 pm

Ex-house painter here. A couple of points:
1) You doing part of the job (prep) is a red flag for me. Now I’m on the hook for your work if there’s problems in the future.
2) You wanting to buy the paint for me to use is another red flag. It may not be the paint my crew is familiar with, it may not be the correct paint for this application, if there’s problems with the paint I have no recourse.
3) Just my opinion, but I wouldn’t go with Sherwin Williams, Ben Moore is a superior product.
4) Yes, many (most?) painters are drunks :)

Topic Author
DTalos

Post by DTalos » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:14 pm

I would like to mention that I live in an HOA and do not decide when to paint my house the HOA Board at a particular time decides when all owners need to paint. Hence, the next time my house will be painted could be anywhere from 5 to 10 years from now, depending on when a future Board thinks colors are getting outdated or if homes are looking tired and faded. The exterior of my house is stucco and the painters around here spray or spray + back-roll.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:26 pm

Leaving aside the fact that I wouldn’t live in a place where the HOA excercised that kind of control...

If you think you’re being discriminated against, and other homeowners have to get their places painted at the same time, why not go in with someone who’s capable of getting a better price. Have them get the bids for multiple units, then split the cost.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:43 pm

Benbo wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:13 pm
3) Just my opinion, but I wouldn’t go with Sherwin Williams, Ben Moore is a superior product.
Do you own Berkshire stock? That's a conflict of interest!

And I thought it was from breathing all those fumes and inhaling who knows what in all those dust particles, including lead and arsenic. Adding alcohol to the mix certainly can't help.

Some prep work isn't easily automated or helped by machinery, but a commercial air sprayer and scaffolding can make a job go much faster and overall be more cost and time efficient. Pay yourself $25/hour for labor and do the math. You can rent the equipment at Home Depot, but the time, effort, and wasted paint to gain experience may not be worth it and may show up in the results from uneven spraying and overspray. And there are the reusable supplies, like tarps that aren't economical for one time use. Plastic sheeting and rollers work ok for a single inside room, but not the best for larger projects. I had a handyman to paint 2 rooms, and he brought a compressor and portable sprayer to get the job done. The wall has some texture, and the sprayer did magic on the parts that were patched up; you couldn't even tell. With brushes and rollers, you would have noticed, like those spakle patched nail holes that aren't hugely noticeable, but there when you look for it.

mariezzz

Post by mariezzz » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:42 pm

If you've done the prep work, I don't understand why you just don't finish it yourself. The prep work takes longer than painting does. Buy a few good rollers, a long pole, a couple good quality paintbrushes (and take care of them :happy )

mariezzz

Post by mariezzz » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:49 pm

Benbo wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:13 pm
Ex-house painter here. A couple of points:
1) You doing part of the job (prep) is a red flag for me. Now I’m on the hook for your work if there’s problems in the future.
2) You wanting to buy the paint for me to use is another red flag. It may not be the paint my crew is familiar with, it may not be the correct paint for this application, if there’s problems with the paint I have no recourse.

I agree Benjamin Moore is a superior product but it gets pricey.
I used Sherwin Williams Super 8 years ago to paint my exterior - used semi-gloss after someone suggested it and it looks a lot better than flat, as far as I'm concerned, with less mold/mildew. Washes off better, too. Prepped it myself, washed the entire house (scrubbrush!) & primed. It still looks fabulous - nothing flaking off anywhere.
I got the 40% off coupons and often stacked them with a $10 off $50 coupon. SW has raised its prices, however - less value now. Recession was on 8 years ago, so maybe that helped with prices.

IMO

Post by IMO » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:11 am

DTalos wrote:
This suggestion may now be a bit too late:

When you contact the painter recommended by a neighbor, did you mention the price they neighbor paid to the painter? If you say, "the neighbor 2 doors down had their home painted by you for $5000 and gave you a positive recommendation, and I wanted to get an estimate for my home." This kind of puts the painter on the spot to have to argue why he/she would need to charge you more than your neighbor. If you don't mention you know what they charged, honestly, I think they just make up a number in their favor (somewhat on experience for size of job and somewhat for what how high they can reasonable go on price). Are the homes similar in size/design?

Edit: Even if it's a different painter not recommended, say upfront, "I got another quote for $5,000, but wanted to get additional quotes."

When it comes to particular paints, that's a difficult subject because painters seem to have preferences (could be for quality and/or could simply be for cost) and I suspect they can make some mark-up on the actual paint purchase that helps their business. You'd have to do something like a consumer report review on paint quality because theirs alot of personal bias on paints vs. selecting paints based on data.

Whomever you end up with, be sure to ask for a copy of their professional liability insurance before you sign a contract. I just tell them, I was speaking to my homeowner insurance and they advised to have a copy of your current liability insurance provided. This can be emailed and you should be able to verify the coverage as being active. Also good time to make sure you paid your umbrella insurance :D If it's a 2 story home, there is good reason to be worried.

ralph124cf

Post by ralph124cf » Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:02 am

The smallest part of a professional paint job is the paint. Don't try to economize there. The painters labor is the big cost. The paint itself is generally only 5%-10% of the job cost, but it is a significant cost to the painter. If he can get away with using a cheap paint, he will. You must always specify in the bid what exact paint will be used, taking into account the preferences of the painter.

Strongly consider a time and materials contract. If you have done much of the prep work, it sounds like you have some understanding of the job requirements, and standing around (NOT underfoot) will keep people from goldbricking and also let you see how well they are doing. It will also allow you to tell an underperforming contractor to take a hike if you do not like the work, while only paying for work actually done. I realize that this can be difficult for some people with weekday nine to five jobs, but my work schedule has always been such that I could schedule this work when I was present.

As others have said, 50%-80% of the paint job cost is the prep work. If a paint is used that is double the cost of the next cheaper option, but it prolongs the next paint job by just one year, you are well ahead.

Ralph

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:37 am

quantAndHold wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:26 pm
Leaving aside the fact that I wouldn’t live in a place where the HOA excercised that kind of control...

If you think you’re being discriminated against, and other homeowners have to get their places painted at the same time, why not go in with someone who’s capable of getting a better price. Have them get the bids for multiple units, then split the cost.
This. Our HOA (townhomes) has done this for garage door replacements and painting of exterior gates/fencing. You could opt in or find your own option. The prices typically were tiered based on the number of units that opt in (more units, lower price).

To the first point, depending where you live, you might not have a lot of option. I agree that I'd avoid an HOA whenever possible.

pennywise

Post by pennywise » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:10 am

DTalos wrote:
I come across to the painters as pleasant but somewhat informed and educated.
Hmm, sounds like that is what you believe--I surmise that you may actually come across to painters as one of 'those' customers: a know it all guy who wants to nickel and dime them on a job. You bring in a painter and say no, prep work is all finished, I took care of that myself. And no, I'm buying my own paint. I know all about painting so I just want you to come in and finish off my half done work while I keep an eye on you.

So here's the deal: I want a cheaper price than what my neighbor Bob paid-I checked so I know all about your rates. You'll be using paint you didn't select that you don't know the quality of, at a rate that eliminates any mark up for you on that. You are finishing up the job based on prep that you didn't do so you can't vouch for the quality of the most important part of the job.

Nope, can't imagine why painters aren't leaping to sign that contract :wink:

Which is to say the truism that you pay in either time or money is a truism for a reason. Skilled tradesmen do work that customers don't want or are not skilled enough to do and they get paid for their labor, their skill and their materials.

You are trying to hire out the section that is probably the least remunerative. As others have said, a good painter is going to presume that if the paint starts to peel in 6 months you will be complaining even though it will most likely be due to prep you did or if the paint fades in a year you will also complain even though it will most likely be due to the paint you bought.

Choice is clear: time or money. You can find and pay a good painter what is bid, or finish the job yourself.

leeks

Post by leeks » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:42 am

DTalos wrote:
Did you try negotiating the price?

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:08 am

I don't understand the issue with painting yourself since you've done most of the work. What equipment do you need? Are you applying regular paint or one of the truck-bed-liner products? I would not paint my entire house myself because I don't want to climb on the roof etc. but if you've prepped the entire house I don't understand why you wouldn't paint it.

staythecourse

Post by staythecourse » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:17 am

I find most of my house work stuff through Angies List. It is free. Just log on and do a search and see the reviews. Many of them have "Big Deals" or something like that giving discounted pricing.

Haven't had a bad experience yet on the site. When I find a good provider in a field (painting, electrical, plumbing, etc...) I stick to them. At least I know what I am getting and only keep them if I think they are professional and solid job.

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:09 am

My "ingenious" process (largely out of my control) is to contact about 10 tradespeople or businesses that I find from word of mouth, Angie's list, Yelp, etc. Around half might call you back. Half of them may show up to give you a quote. Half of them won't ever send a quote or the quote will be for something other than you asked for or they tell you they cannot start for 6 months. Then I call that one person left and hire them. :shock: I say this only half joking as this has been my experience for several projects and I live in a huge city.