YouTube TV is increasing their price - will you cancel it?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
anil686

Re: YouTube TV is increasing their price - will you cancel it?

Post by anil686 »

jpsfranks wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:57 pm
madbrain wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:48 pm
Earl Lemongrab wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:41 pm
madbrain wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:09 pm I signed up for a trial of Youtube TV so I wouldn't miss the shows. When the power came back, I tried watching the shows.
The experience was just horrid. It wasn't possible to skip commercials at all on those new CBS shows ! Every single one had to be watched. Even if fast-forwarding ! This is no DVR. This is worse than VCR experience. I haven't had through a single full TV commercial in over 10 years due to the DVR. I canceled the Youtube TV the same day. The cost is also higher than what I pay for my Dish monthly subscription.
Did you actually set up recordings ahead of time? One thing that's often not clear with some of the streaming services is that if the show wasn't recorded at the time that it aired, you'll get the On-Demand version. Like with cable, there are often restrictions on fast-forward. All of the services that I tried would record to the cloud DVR and allow commerical skip.
Yes. There was a day long power outage (according to the ETA from the utility), and I signed up for Youtube TV during the day, and scheduled those shows to record before they aired later that evening.
Even when you've scheduled something to record, you can't always fast forward through commercials. In some cases the network will have an agreement with YouTubeTV where they won't let you watch the version you recorded and instead force you to watch the On Demand version with unskippable commercials. It can vary depending on the network/show/when you actually choose to sit down in watch it (generally if you watch very soon after it airs you can watch live recorded version, and the on demand version will be added some time later).
This is becoming true with most of the streaming choices - you need a DVR with a hard drive to avoid that. Unfortunately, if you have storms with the cable out - you record nothing (you have to watch it on demand which is like watching the streaming version). For those of us who binge weeks after the initial air date, you often get the fast forwarded option (DVR version) and not the streaming version. Hope that helps...
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

At the end of the day, even with the increase in streaming pricing across the industry, not being forced to rent or use the cable company’s equipment is a huge benefit of these services vs traditional cable.

Frequently Comcast, Cablevision, Cox, etc. will advertise $79 or $89 double or triple play packages with an asterisk that says “equipment and fees not included”. Most people are surprised to find out that each DVR can cost $20/mo, a regular box costs $10/mo, and each remote is costing you $1.65 a month (or somewhere in those ranges). If you have 4 TVs and you want service on all of them you need 4 boxes. With a streaming service you can have 4 Rokus, Apple TVs, Fires, or Chromecasts you just need to keep your simultaneous streams under control.
yolli71

Post by yolli71 »

madbrain wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:09 pm I had a power outage a few weeks ago on a day that 3 of my favorite were supposed to be recording on my Dish satellite DVR.
I signed up for a trial of Youtube TV so I wouldn't miss the shows. When the power came back, I tried watching the shows.
The experience was just horrid. It wasn't possible to skip commercials at all on those new CBS shows ! Every single one had to be watched. Even if fast-forwarding ! This is no DVR. This is worse than VCR experience. I haven't had through a single full TV commercial in over 10 years due to the DVR. I canceled the Youtube TV the same day. The cost is also higher than what I pay for my Dish monthly subscription.
Just curious...how is Dish cheaper than Youtube? Your post caught my eye so I checked out Dish's website and the cheapest package I can find as a new customer is $60/mo and that doesn't include any add-ons (additional tv DVRs, etc.).
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

jpsfranks wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:57 pm Even when you've scheduled something to record, you can't always fast forward through commercials. In some cases the network will have an agreement with YouTubeTV where they won't let you watch the version you recorded and instead force you to watch the On Demand version with unskippable commercials. It can vary depending on the network/show/when you actually choose to sit down in watch it (generally if you watch very soon after it airs you can watch live recorded version, and the on demand version will be added some time later).
Yeah. That's what I found out. It makes Youtube TV useless to me. IMO, this is false advertising on the part of Youtube to call it a cloud DVR. No DVR ever had this sort of limitation.

My Dish DVR has the "autohop" feature which is an automatic commercial skip. It only gets enabled on CBS shows if you want them one week later.
For some other channels, autohop is enabled within a few hours or a day. But there is always the possibility to skip commercials manually by pressing the fast forward (+30s) and back (-10s) buttons, which is what I usually do. I often start watching hourly programs about 15-20 mins after they have started recording, so I can watch and skip all the commercials, as there is about 15-20 mins worth of them. Of course, sometimes I watch them another day too. But I never watch them one week later or more, unless I am traveling. And even then, it's possible to stream from my DVR to wherever I am (though it uses a lot of bandwidth).

IMO, what Youtube has implemented isn't even close to a DVR. It's not even as good as a VCR without fast forward/rewind buttons on some shows.
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

yolli71 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:30 pm Just curious...how is Dish cheaper than Youtube? Your post caught my eye so I checked out Dish's website and the cheapest package I can find as a new customer is $60/mo and that doesn't include any add-ons (additional tv DVRs, etc.).
I'm paying $39.79 total per month currently . I have a single Dish hopper 2 with locals, and the most basic package, that still includes Comedy central. It doesn't include even some news channel like CNN (though it has Fox news, sigh). I think you may have to call to request this package. I downgraded my programming at some point in the last couple years. I used to have a bill of about $60. I have been with Dish for over 2 decades. Their DVR interface is top-notch

I also have an OTA antenna and an HTPC for the locals, with Jriver Media center, which can serve as a DVR. That covers most of my programming needs. The UI leaves much to be desired, though, especially if I just want to use an IR remote and not touch the wireless keyboard/mouse. I also would need to get a big UPS for the HTPC and antenna amplifier, since unfortunately my area has been prone to power outages lately. Drivers keep running into poles, and it takes about 18-24 hours for PG&E to fix it.

Edit: Youtube TV also doesn't do 5.1 audio, which makes it far inferior in my home theater. Both Dish satellite and OTA locals have had 5.1 forever. OTA are higher bit rate also, though they use older MPEG-2 algorithms. I think Dish is using MPEG-4/H.264 . Not sure what Youtube TV is using these days. The compression artifacts definitely show up on my 106" 4K projector so the higher bit rate, the better.
Last edited by madbrain on Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe »

I was thinking about using YouTube TV, but now that you have let me know about the price increase I will not do this. I will just keep my Xfinity Double Play (280+ channels plus extremely fast internet). Much better value overall.
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

Trader Joe wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:51 pm I was thinking about using YouTube TV, but now that you have let me know about the price increase I will not do this. I will just keep my Xfinity Double Play (280+ channels plus extremely fast internet). Much better value overall.
How much are you paying for it, and how high is the speed ? I pay $89.95 for Gigabit down / 35 Mbps up from Comcast. Plus $39.79 from Dish for the TV. I might be able to get a better deal on Double play with Comcast for TV, but haven't really bothered, because it involves running extra cable wire to my home theater where the projector (TV) is, and I really like the Dish DVR device. I have had terrible service experience with Comcast with outages sometimes lasting an entire week, also, and want to give them as little money as possible. The satellite and OTA TV is actually far more reliable as they take Comcast out of the equation. Dish has always had great service also whenever there was an issue, which is why I have been with them for 22 years.
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

I only used YTTV and the others for the free trial period. I didn't run across a case where a show recorded to the cloud DVR didn't allow FF, but my experience was certainly not exhaustive.
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

anil686 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:13 pm This is becoming true with most of the streaming choices - you need a DVR with a hard drive to avoid that. Unfortunately, if you have storms with the cable out - you record nothing (you have to watch it on demand which is like watching the streaming version). For those of us who binge weeks after the initial air date, you often get the fast forwarded option (DVR version) and not the streaming version. Hope that helps...
Yes. This is one reason I don't subscribe to any video streaming service. Streaming makes sense for programs that aren't broadcast live. But for live channels, DVR is where it's at, IMO.

The cable goes out at the same time as the power, as it's carried on the same poles. But additionally, Comcast technicians will put signal amplifiers or attenuators at certain customers, and that ends up messing with my signal. I am the very end of the cable line, so I always suffer when something like that happens. It took about 5 months for Comcast to get one such issue fixed in 2017. The cable Internet was going down multiple times a day based on my monitoring. It's finally OK now.

However, a DVR with a hard drive doesn't have to depend on the cable. It can work from satellite and OTA antenna. Those are far more reliable than Comcast can ever be. There is still the issue of the power going down, though ...
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

Earl Lemongrab wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:09 pm I only used YTTV and the others for the free trial period. I didn't run across a case where a show recorded to the cloud DVR didn't allow FF, but my experience was certainly not exhaustive.
My use case was watching new NCIS episodes on my local CBS channel recorded through Youtube TV a few hours before the power came back. You could give that a try and see. It was my very first use of Youtube TV, and last.
Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe »

madbrain wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:58 pm
Trader Joe wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:51 pm I was thinking about using YouTube TV, but now that you have let me know about the price increase I will not do this. I will just keep my Xfinity Double Play (280+ channels plus extremely fast internet). Much better value overall.
How much are you paying for it, and how high is the speed ? I pay $89.95 for Gigabit down / 35 Mbps up from Comcast. Plus $39.79 from Dish for the TV. I might be able to get a better deal on Double play with Comcast for TV, but haven't really bothered, because it involves running extra cable wire to my home theater where the projector (TV) is, and I really like the Dish DVR device. I have had terrible service experience with Comcast with outages sometimes lasting an entire week, also, and want to give them as little money as possible. The satellite and OTA TV is actually far more reliable as they take Comcast out of the equation. Dish has always had great service also whenever there was an issue, which is why I have been with them for 22 years.
$112 total. 280+ channels, 200 mbps internet download. More channels and speed then I will ever fully utilize. I would like to find an alternative. Still looking.
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

Trader Joe wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:42 pm $112 total. 280+ channels, 200 mbps internet download. More channels and speed then I will ever fully utilize. I would like to find an alternative. Still looking.
Not bad. I have more speed, but far fewer TV channels, at about $129 total. Unfortunately there is no other local competition. AT&T doesn't have fiber service on our side of the hills. I think 1.5 Mbps DSL service is all we could get. Or maybe even 128 kbps IDSL. Orders of magnitude less speed.
essbeer

Post by essbeer »

I pay $24.66/month to Comcast for 220+ channels with their Digital Preferred Package, that includes all taxes and rental of a cable card. I don't use them for internet or phone. I get on-demand and can stream through the app for the channels that have it. I've had this deal for years. It's crazy, I don't know why they keep doing it. I'd always planned on getting Youtube TV when Comcast canceled the deal, but it just keeps going.
FedGuy

Post by FedGuy »

I do the YouTube TV + Philo combination. When I first heard about the Youtube TV price increase, I thought that I might be able to ditch Philo and come out more or less even...but it looks like YouTube TV isn't getting the History Channel, which is one of the main channels I watch on Philo. Maybe I'll keep YouTube TV and pay more attention to when the shows I watch on the History Channel are out of season, and just cancel and later re-subscribe to Philo as needed.
Barkingsparrow

Post by Barkingsparrow »

Another price increase from $50 to $65. Too rich for me, I just cancelled.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

I canceled today. I am living back home and get cable thru condo HOA. The price was fine at 50. But not more. I cut off netflix too. Back to cable and renting stuff on Apple TV.
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

We have an antenna + OTA DVR which is good for 75% of what we want to watch. Beyond that we use YTTV primarily for sports. We had already discussed canceling it and restarting only for certain sports seasons and will definitely do that now (it can actually be "paused" for up to six months and recordings will be maintained). We also may look around to see if we can get the sports we want through other services for less money since YTTV now has so much programming that we don't utilize.

I've always preferred YTTV because when it appeared it was technologically superior to the other services. Hopefully that has changed and we'll be just as happy with another service that more closely matches our programming requirements - and is less expensive.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify, but most importantly....Ignore the Noise!