Contact lens solution

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
JediMisty

Contact lens solution

Post by JediMisty » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:16 pm

My optometrist told me last week that the contact lens solution I use is "irritating" and "not her favorite". Her suggestions we're both more expensive than the one I use. Any suggestions from forum members?

nalor511

Re: Contact lens solution

Post by nalor511 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:27 pm

JediMisty wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:16 pm
My optometrist told me last week that the contact lens solution I use is "irritating" and "not her favorite". Her suggestions we're both more expensive than the one I use. Any suggestions from forum members?
The Costco Kirkland multipurpose that comes with 3 bottles per box is a great value, and we've never had any irritation from it. But also, did your doc say that it's 'irritating you' or just that it's 'irritating'? Because the latter might just mean she doesn't like it, and with something like contact solution, if it's working for you with no adverse effects I would probably consider sticking to it. I've tried a bunch of solutions, and some did indeed irritate the skin around my eyes something fierce. The Kirkland/Costco was not one of them, however, works great for everyone I know who's tried it, and very cost effective.

Typ997S

Post by Typ997S » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:31 pm

I've had very good luck with the Hydrogen Peroxide/Catalyst systems, e.g. ClearCare. I've found that the store brands/generics work just as well as the name brand. Just remember that you can't put the solution directly in your eye, or use it on a lens and then put it in your eye without having "catalyzed" out the Hydrogen Peroxide using the lens case for a few hours first.

The benefit of these systems is that the disinfecting agent (the Hydrogen Peroxide) gets converted ("Catalyzed") to water in the lens case by a small "doohickey" coated with a catalyst. So, when you take your lenses out to wear, there aren't any residual disinfecting chemicals left to irritate your eyes.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:32 pm

You might try a bottle of what she recommends. If your eyes feel less irritated, then it’s a sign that maybe she knows what she’s doing. If they don’t, then go back to what you were using before.

It’s also possible that there are generic clones of what she’s recommending. It might take some research to figure that out.

walkabout

Post by walkabout » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:44 pm

What kind of solution are you using now and what does your optometrist recommend?

I will add that I use dailies (ie wear once than throw away). I use Kirkland Multipurpose to rinse the lenses after removing from the packaging. I don't find it irritating at all.

My wife uses either two week lenses or monthlies (put and remove daily, dispose every two weeks or monthly). She uses Clear Care (hydrogen peroxide) for storage and some multipurpose (maybe Alcon?) for rinsing. AFAIK, she has not complaints about either the Clear Care or whatever multipurpose she uses.

I have used Clear Care a few times (when I got some two week lens samples from the optometrist to tide me over until my order of dailies arrived) and found that I had to rinse a lot to avoid irritation.

gpburdell

Post by gpburdell » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:58 pm

I forget the name of the solution I used to use several years ago but it started irritating my eyes. I switched to Biotrue Contact Lens Solution made by Bausch&Lomb and haven't had any issues since. You can get it from Amazon for $14 for two 10 oz bottles (w/subscribe and save discount).

Quickfoot

Post by Quickfoot » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:07 pm

A simple question, are you unhappy with the solution you are using? If not it doesn't really matter what the optometrist prefers. The hydrogen peroxide cleaners do work very well but I found I needed to leave the contacts in the cleaner longer than advertised or it would irritate my eyes. Costco is a good option for getting high quality product at a discount.

apple44

Post by apple44 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:33 pm

Maybe try to use those contact lenses that are just for one day?

I used to do the 2-week lenses, but I'm not super good with keeping them clean and I would get irritated from time to time. Then I switched to one-day lenses, and don't need solutions any more and don't need to worry about washing my hands/lenses, etc! Life becomes much better!

WillRetire

Post by WillRetire » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:36 pm

Try the optometrist's suggestions and ask for free samples.

Something similar happened to me...twice... with 2 different optometrists. The name brand product they both promoted was extremely irritating and intolerable, however, when I mentioned that to the 2nd optometrist, she suggested ClearCare Plus. What a difference! For me, anyway. For the first time in decades I can wear contacts 8-12 hours a day. Worth the money. Haven't tried the generic version.

Ask for free samples and give the optometrist feedback.

It seems like there is a new trend amongst optometrists to caution patients against generic brands of solutions and solutions that have the wrong pH for some people.

mega317

Post by mega317 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:07 pm

This is not intended to be medical advice. If you can afford contacts I think you can afford to follow your doctors recommendations on contact solution. Unless the optometrist has a conflict of interest, I guess.

Topic Author
JediMisty

Post by JediMisty » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:42 pm

nalor511 wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:27 pm
JediMisty wrote:
The Costco Kirkland multipurpose that comes with 3 bottles per box is a great value, and we've never had any irritation from it. But also, did your doc say that it's 'irritating you' or just that it's 'irritating'? Because the latter might just mean she doesn't like it, and with something like contact solution, if it's working for you with no adverse effects I would probably consider sticking to it. I've tried a bunch of solutions, and some did indeed irritate the skin around my eyes something fierce. The Kirkland/Costco was not one of them, however, works great for everyone I know who's tried it, and very cost effective.
She said "it's irritating". TBT I do have issues wearing them for a long day, but I thought that was normal. I'll try the free sample she gave me of the Biotrue and the Kirkland brand, too. Current brand I've used is Renu.

WestUniversity

Post by WestUniversity » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:48 pm

DW gets whatever is on sale...

fasteddie911

Post by fasteddie911 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:42 am

My optometrist recommended biotrue, so I get the 2x16oz bottles from costco for $16 on sale, regular price $20. I load up on a few boxes when they go on sale and when I have a couples bottles left, I start checking the prices everytime I go to costco and load up again when the price drops.

biochem149

Post by biochem149 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:45 am

I use the ClearCare solution as someone has already mentioned. It's what my optomterist recommended as well when I was having difficulty with irritation and wearing my lens for 12+ hours. Does the optomterist have a COI with the compaby? Not sure but I'll gladly spend the few extra dollars. I've been very satisfied and being comfortable with my lens is extremely important to me.

jwasilko

Post by jwasilko » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:52 am

Back when I used to wear 2 week lenses, my doctor was a huge proponent of the hydrogen peroxide/catalyst system. He said that studies showed that it was much more effective than the older systems.

I tended to only get 10-11 days out of a set of 2 week lenses before they became uncomfortable. I ran the numbers between daily disposable lenses and the 2 weeks (for 10 days) plus the cost of solution.

The daily disposables were about the same cost as 2-week lenses + solution. Plus they're way more comfortable.

Maybe consider dailies if the numbers work for you?

Yiewsley

Post by Yiewsley » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:11 am

I use Clear Care as well. Recommended by my doctor years ago when it was Aosept.

My current doctor told me that taking out lenses as soon as possible at the end of the day is recommended.

mark_in_denver

Post by mark_in_denver » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:00 am

My eye doctor told me the same. I switched to daily contacts years ago and wouldn't go back to monthly's etc.

MichCPA

Post by MichCPA » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:08 am

JediMisty wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:42 pm
nalor511 wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:27 pm
JediMisty wrote:
She said "it's irritating". TBT I do have issues wearing them for a long day, but I thought that was normal. I'll try the free sample she gave me of the Biotrue and the Kirkland brand, too. Current brand I've used is Renu.
I find Renu to be very irritating as well. I use the Walmart generic version of Opti-Free and it is withing $0.50 per two pack of generic renu and cheaper than the brand name version.

nalor511

Post by nalor511 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:27 pm

JediMisty wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:42 pm

Renu did indeed irritate my skin, and Biotrue is supposed to be great but irritated someone I know really badly. I think it's really personal, and depends what works for you. So far Kirkland works for everyone I know though. Contacts being uncomfortable at the end of the day is common, and not related to your solution, unless you are using your solution multiple times throughout the day. Consider rewetting drops near the evening, I really like Blink Tears (they make a Contacts and a non-contacts version).

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:00 am

Renu comes in various formulations containing different chemicals, not all may be irritating in the same way to the same people. Pay attention to the ingredients and contents in any products you use. Even then, sometimes the offending ingredient isn’t clearly listed or listed at all, so two seemingly identical products have different responses. It’s rare, but it happens. Some allergies to medications have been traced to filler ingredients, not the drugs themselves. This is general consumer information, not medical advice. Talk with your doctor for personal medical advice.

mancich

Post by mancich » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:34 am

I use Focus dailies, and keep on hand Equate (Walmart) multipurpose solution to rinse off as needed; sometimes they need to be taken out and reinserted, as all contact wearers know, if you get an eyelash in there or something doesn't feel quite right. If you're a candidate for dailies and don't have them now, I highly recommend them. Not the cheapest, but worth every penny IMO