Solution for a thick wallet

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
letsgobobby

Re: Solution for a thick wallet

Post by letsgobobby »

Deleted
Last edited by letsgobobby on Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
bluebolt

Post by bluebolt »

letsgobobby wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:28 pm
flamesabers wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:32 am How many of the cards in your wallet are you actually using on a regular basis? Rather then try to find a high-tech solution to make your wallet thinner, I would suggest the old-fashion (and cheaper) solution of keeping only your most used/essential cards in your wallet. With your gift cards I would recommend going through them to ensure none of them are expiring or have already expired.
Some cards are membership cards: various libraries, Global Entry, AAA, etc. Things I don’t always need but would hate not having when I need them. I think the library cards I could just type in the numbers somewhere or take a photo but I’d like an elegant solution. I have 2 debit cards, various gift cards, and about 5-6 credit cards, which I use to maximize rewards.
I generally don't carry any membership-type cards. I either have a photo or a copy of my number (for AAA card, library card). I have never had a problem, but occasionally have to show my driver's license. I have never had to show my Global Entry card.
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

This was my solution:

https://www.amazon.com/MINIMALIST-Alumi ... B07C2LYCNV

I now carry a license, gun permit, insurance card, and 2 or 3 credit cards. Everything else I leave at home or in the car.

JT
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

letsgobobby wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:28 pm
flamesabers wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:32 am How many of the cards in your wallet are you actually using on a regular basis? Rather then try to find a high-tech solution to make your wallet thinner, I would suggest the old-fashion (and cheaper) solution of keeping only your most used/essential cards in your wallet. With your gift cards I would recommend going through them to ensure none of them are expiring or have already expired.
Some cards are membership cards: various libraries, Global Entry, AAA, etc. Things I don’t always need but would hate not having when I need them. I think the library cards I could just type in the numbers somewhere or take a photo but I’d like an elegant solution. I have 2 debit cards, various gift cards, and about 5-6 credit cards, which I use to maximize rewards.
There is no need to carry Global Entry. It has to go in your airline reservation or it won't do anything for you.
AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat »

DL and one credit card rubber banded together. In years past, a CCW permit was in the rubber band, too.

Everything else either sits in the safe, or goes in a travel “wallet” that goes in backpack when I travel.

I can’t fathom why people need to carry five credit cards, all their gift cards, extra ID, etc. with them everywhere they go.
Ed_Sandwich

Post by Ed_Sandwich »

I have recently addressed the same issue. I now use a Bellroy Card Sleeve and really like it. I don't ever carry cash, so that was not a problem. Currently all that I carry is my credit card, debit card (as backup), prescription card, health insurance card, Costco card, and license. I haven't had any issues at all, and I really enjoy having it.
Topic Author
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby »

Deleted
Last edited by letsgobobby on Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

walletless wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:12 am
letsgobobby wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:00 am I carry a bunch of credit cards and a number of gift cards and would like a way to eliminate them.

More expensive phones offer NFC which supports Apple Pay, etc, but my phone does not. I'd have to buy a new phone for around $300 to make this happen.

Some smart watches offer pay and at least one (Garmin) says you do not need your phone to make this happen. That is appealing because in theory I could leave my wallet at home while skiing, running, or biking, and still buy a coffee at the store. I don't know how well these work. These watches start at $300, but I'm in the market for a GPS smart watch and fitness tracker anyway, and the ones I'm looking at start around $140. So does spending an extra $160 allow me to ditch my credit and debit cards?

Finally, I've read there are apps that store and support gift cards. The most well known is GYFT. Would this allow me to get rid of the gift cards I carry around? Is there a fee for this type of app?

I can take all the library and other membership cards out and probably just take photos of most of them such as health insurance and AAA.

Any other suggestions to thin the wallet?
I use the All-Ett Thin Wallet (thinnestwallet.com) - it actually works very well and thins the wallet significantly with same number of cards. I use the Nylon Original Wallet, but will switch to the Leather original once it soils. I have had it for ~5 years now and it is no where near soiled, will likely go for another while before it gives in.
Another +1 for Allet. It's potentially very thin.
ThatGuy

Post by ThatGuy »

I like the Decadent Minimalist wallet, carried in my front pocket. I don't like how stiff the aluminum is so I sprung for the titanium version.

The card size recommendation includes raised numbers, so if your cards are flat you can fit nearly 2x as many. This still requires that you figure out what is truly necessary to carry around, or else invest in a utility belt.
Work is the curse of the drinking class - Oscar Wilde