Solution for a thick wallet

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
letsgobobby

Solution for a thick wallet

Post by letsgobobby » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:00 am

Deleted
Last edited by letsgobobby on Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

gtg970g

Re: Solution for a thick wallet

Post by gtg970g » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:09 am

I have a pocket attached to my cell phone case where I carry ID, credit card x2, and Costco card. Everything else I need is available digitally.

walletless

Post by walletless » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:12 am

letsgobobby wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:00 am
I carry a bunch of credit cards and a number of gift cards and would like a way to eliminate them.

More expensive phones offer NFC which supports Apple Pay, etc, but my phone does not. I'd have to buy a new phone for around $300 to make this happen.

Some smart watches offer pay and at least one (Garmin) says you do not need your phone to make this happen. That is appealing because in theory I could leave my wallet at home while skiing, running, or biking, and still buy a coffee at the store. I don't know how well these work. These watches start at $300, but I'm in the market for a GPS smart watch and fitness tracker anyway, and the ones I'm looking at start around $140. So does spending an extra $160 allow me to ditch my credit and debit cards?

Finally, I've read there are apps that store and support gift cards. The most well known is GYFT. Would this allow me to get rid of the gift cards I carry around? Is there a fee for this type of app?

I can take all the library and other membership cards out and probably just take photos of most of them such as health insurance and AAA.

Any other suggestions to thin the wallet?
I use the All-Ett Thin Wallet (thinnestwallet.com) - it actually works very well and thins the wallet significantly with same number of cards. I use the Nylon Original Wallet, but will switch to the Leather original once it soils. I have had it for ~5 years now and it is no where near soiled, will likely go for another while before it gives in.

FlyAF

Post by FlyAF » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:16 am

gtg970g wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:09 am
I have a pocket attached to my cell phone case where I carry ID, credit card x2, and Costco card. Everything else I need is available digitally.
Pretty much. Cell phone case that can accommodate a few cards. Also carry some cash in a money clip.

Big thick wallet is very 1987.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:29 am

What kind of gift cards are these? Can you leave any at home and plan your purchases? Also only carry 2 credit cards and a debit card. I have 6 cards total, the three listed before, drivers licence, costco card, and 1 other rewards card.

audioaxes

Post by audioaxes » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:34 am

I do the same and carry a boat load of cars on me as well as gift cards. This is my current wallet which has been perfect for me:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N7 ... UTF8&psc=1

walkabout

Post by walkabout » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:39 am

walletless wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:12 am
I use the All-Ett Thin Wallet (thinnestwallet.com) - it actually works very well and thins the wallet significantly with same number of cards. I use the Nylon Original Wallet, but will switch to the Leather original once it soils. I have had it for ~5 years now and it is no where near soiled, will likely go for another while before it gives in.
I agree with this as a way to slim down your existing wallet. I have had an All-Ett for several years now and it really does reduce the thickness of your wallet (especially the thickness caused by many credit cards, gift cards, etc).

kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:40 am

A big part of why I quit maximizing gift card incentives. Sure, I can get some extra cash back and/or fuel points....but then either remembering the cards or overstuffing my wallet becomes too big a hassle.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:48 am

My wallet has

- library card (should try if library scanner accepts barcode of photographed card; alternatively I could probably just type in the 15 digit number)

- drivers license

- ATM card (should leave that at home when not traveling; I very rarely use it to get cash, and virtually never unplanned)

- 2-3 credit cards depending on what bonuses I am working on

- AAA card (should look if scanned card is acceptable or if AAA app has digital card)

- insurance card (should look if scanned card is acceptable)

My Costco card is in the car middle console. Most of the time it’s my wife anyway who goes Costco shopping, so I very rarely actually use it.
kjvmartin wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:40 am
A big part of why I quit maximizing gift card incentives. Sure, I can get some extra cash back and/or fuel points....but then either remembering the cards or overstuffing my wallet becomes too big a hassle.
Yes, the only gift cards I buy are those issued by businesses where I shop anyway and that I can load into an account - Amazon, Netflix, Starbucks.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:52 am

I carry around six cards that I use frequently or am required by law to have on my person and some cash. The rest stay at home in a container near my office computer where I most use them. If on the rare occasion I need one of the other cards, I just get it before I go and put it back when I return.

Snapper

Post by Snapper » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:04 pm

I went to a very thin wallet about 10 years ago. I keep it in my front pocket with my DL and about 5 cards. I also use Apple Pay for some that are not critical if a merchant does not accept it. First thing you must do is realize the need to drastically cut back on items carried. I have three levels. Items in my wallet. Items I will only need in the car, such as AAA, library card and small dollar gift cards like Starbucks. The rest stay home unless I have a need. I usually use larger gift cards on line. So that gets down to membership cards for places I go infrequently and out of rotation credit cards.
Good luck. It is liberating and far less to worry about if you are separated from your wallet.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:09 pm

I have 3 credit cards, driver’s license, insurance card, and $20, in a clip thing that I got on amazon. Rewards cards and library cards are either on a key ring that only gets carried if I’m going shopping, or in a separate card wallet in my glove box. There’s a phone app for my library, so, while it’s easier to use the card than the app, if I don’t have the card, I can use the app. My gym uses a fingerprint scanner thing, so no membership card. I only get the debit card out of the drawer when I need cash. Which doesn’t happen often.

The problem with using Apple or Garmin or Samsung pay is that not all stores take all things, so you still have to carry the cards.

DatWayMon

Post by DatWayMon » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:16 pm

I was in the same boat until a friend bought me a SlimFold Minimalist RFID Wallet. It says it hold 20 cards but I have more than that in it and it's still 1/3 the thickness of my old leather wallet. I sometimes find myself patting my pocket to make sure it's still there since it's so light and unobtrusive.

https://smile.amazon.com/SlimFold-Minim ... r=8-4&th=1

onourway

Post by onourway » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:16 pm

I think you are on the right track with a watch solution with a couple of caveats. One, take notice of the places you might want to pay via the watch and make sure they accept contact-less payments. Two, if you are going with something like a Garmin, make sure they support the banks you want to use. Garmin has the Vivoactive 3 starting at $250 with GarminPay.

I've been doing this for a while by phone and watch and so long as I anticipate my needs, it works great. The problem is a fair amount of the time I leave the house sans wallet and then something comes up while I'm out and I need my id or physical cards.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:28 pm

I simply stopped carrying most of what has been mentioned. I take
1 credit card
1 ATM card
1 piece of paper money
1 driver license
1 insurance card
in a small nylon mesh-sided velcro-closed pouch.

If I am going to the library, I might even add a library card. I have other credit cards, but I don't carry them with me. I use up gift cards as soon as possible or bring them only when I specifically intend to use them.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:31 pm

walletless wrote:
letsgobobby wrote:
I carry a bunch of credit cards and a number of gift cards and would like a way to eliminate them.

More expensive phones offer NFC which supports Apple Pay, etc, but my phone does not. I'd have to buy a new phone for around $300 to make this happen.

Some smart watches offer pay and at least one (Garmin) says you do not need your phone to make this happen. That is appealing because in theory I could leave my wallet at home while skiing, running, or biking, and still buy a coffee at the store. I don't know how well these work. These watches start at $300, but I'm in the market for a GPS smart watch and fitness tracker anyway, and the ones I'm looking at start around $140. So does spending an extra $160 allow me to ditch my credit and debit cards?

Finally, I've read there are apps that store and support gift cards. The most well known is GYFT. Would this allow me to get rid of the gift cards I carry around? Is there a fee for this type of app?

I can take all the library and other membership cards out and probably just take photos of most of them such as health insurance and AAA.

+1 on All-Ett

I had the original nylon one for years. Only drawback was that it is a bit flimsy--even when loaded. If you are waiting for it to wear out, you may never get another wallet.

I got one of the leather ones from All-Ett shortly after they were introduced several years ago. I absolutely love it. Still have the nylon one in a drawer somewhere. I did find the nylon one too awkward to use if I put cards on both sides of the wallet so I only put them on one side. I liked that arrangement so well that I carried it over to the leather wallet when I changed.

lightheir

Post by lightheir » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:15 pm

I went to a minimalist wallet several years ago after being annoyed by wallet-bloat as a man.

I was afraid I'd regularly run into situations where I would bemoan not having one of my cards or cash with me, but it has probably happened only twice in the 3 years I've been using it, and it was no big deal either time. It's been absolutely worth the much smaller form factor, in every way.

I just carry 3 cards with me : Drivers License, Credit Card, and my YMCA card (since I go nearly daily). I slip a $20 into the small elastic pocket, and rarely ever use it. I wish I'd done this years ago, and would def recommend others to do it - required essentially zero lifestyle or planning changes to switch.

You can find tons of minimalist wallets on Amazon all of which will work great, and which hold 4-8 cards and cash no problemo. I'm sure I could cram 8 cards into mine if I had to, but having only 3 makes it super simple.

forgeblast

Post by forgeblast » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:20 pm

Ridge wallet, I went from a huge wallet done to this. Works great for cards, clip is great for cash.

Socrates

not good to sit on a wallet

Post by Socrates » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:21 pm

bad for your posture and back as you are off balance

I use a cell phone case that has a small slot which carries 2 credits cards (one of which is also my Costco card) and my DL.
“Don't waste your time looking back. You're not going that way.” ― Ragnar Lothbrok.

Fitch

Post by Fitch » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:24 pm

In addition to what's been mentioned so far I also use this app https://keyringapp.com which holds electronic versions of supermarket cards, library cards, various reward cards. Anything with a barcode can be moved to this.

TSR

Post by TSR » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:28 pm

I used an old leather bi-fold that was pretty huge. Based on a recommendation in a thread on good travel gear, I purchased this wallet:

https://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Nylon-Trif ... B0725JX6DP

It has revolutionized my wallet experience -- it carries quite a few cards, but it's little elastic band keeps them all together nicely in a tiny little package. If anything, I've had to learn not to forget it because it's so small. Let's be clear, this is not a super-high quality product. I suspect that the elastic band will wear out within a year. If that happens, I'll either cut it off and use a women's hair-tie to keep it closed, or I'll just buy another one for practically free.

Good luck!

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:31 pm

DatWayMon wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:16 pm
I was in the same boat until a friend bought me a SlimFold Minimalist RFID Wallet. It says it hold 20 cards but I have more than that in it and it's still 1/3 the thickness of my old leather wallet.
I assume it can’t do any magic, and so it is still at least as thick as 20 credit cards stacked on top of each other. Which is, I suspect, thicker than I would like it :)

The bigger (pun intended) issue for me is the risk of loss. What I don’t carry I can’t lose or misplace.

DatWayMon

Post by DatWayMon » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:41 pm

TravelGeek wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:31 pm
DatWayMon wrote:
I was in the same boat until a friend bought me a SlimFold Minimalist RFID Wallet. It says it hold 20 cards but I have more than that in it and it's still 1/3 the thickness of my old leather wallet.
I assume it can’t do any magic, and so it is still at least as thick as 20 credit cards stacked on top of each other. Which is, I suspect, thicker than I would like it :)
No, it doesn't do magic, but since the cards aren't all stacked one on top of each other the wallet is not much thicker than five credit cards stacked on top of each other when filled with 20 cards and several bills.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:11 pm

I keep gift cards in my car center console or at home. I only carry them when I need them not every day.

I only carry two credit cards and one ATM card. The rest stay at home.

Membership cards all stay at home. Some are available in Apple Wallet. I also have photos of them.

I keep my health insurance card with me (also as a photo). Too important to not have it with me.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:05 pm

stan1 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:11 pm
I keep gift cards in my car center console or at home. I only carry them when I need them not every day.

I only carry two credit cards and one ATM card. The rest stay at home.

Membership cards all stay at home. Some are available in Apple Wallet. I also have photos of them.

I keep my health insurance card with me (also as a photo). Too important to not have it with me.
I keep an image of my 3 health cards (Medicare, G supplement and part D) on my phone. Have found that my Dr and Pharmacy have no issue not seeing the actual card, and often only need the account numbers. I suppose if I was unconscious then a first responder might want to go thru my wallet, but think there's a very low probability that would delay treatment. I'm willing to take that change so the actual cards can be left at home.

mcblum

Post by mcblum » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:30 pm

I have a leather phone wallet made by Shieldon for my iPhone six. In it, i carry :
Driver's License
Library card
ATM card
several one dollar bills
these are the most used cards

I also carry a very small wallet with all my other cards and larger bills if i have them.
This is the most practical way for me.
Marty

Cheyenne

Post by Cheyenne » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:44 pm

I make a zerox copy of several cards (AARP, AAA, etc.) on a sheet of paper and fold it into my wallet to lighten the load.

peseta

Post by peseta » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:56 pm

walletless wrote:
+1. I've had several leather All-Etts over the past decade. They are great. Clark Howard is a fan as well.

peseta

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:59 pm

letsgobobby wrote:

Give me all of your money, credit and gift cards! :twisted:

You can keep the drivers license and wallet.
Now you have a thin wallet! :wink:
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:11 pm

I have one that looks like this one: https://www.amazon.com/BASICS-Minimalis ... 00TVBOL6S/

It's a different brand, but I think essentially the same, and it works great....had it for a few years and nothing has fallen out. I probably keep about 8-10 cards in it, including 2-3 that I frequently use in the "pullout" part. Also a $100 bill or a few twenties. If I have smaller bills I just keep them loose in my pocket.

Before this I went through a few of the ones that stick on to the back of a cell phone, but found them problematic. They had smaller capacity and if you put too much in they would stretch and eventually stuff would fall out. Also, I don't like the idea of having my cell phone AND my wallet all together....if you lose one thing you are screwed. I prefer keeping them in separate pockets.
Last edited by protagonist on Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

northtexan

Post by northtexan » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:35 pm

I recently went to a new "wallet". I used to have a leather one that I would accumulate things like receipts and extra cards in over the years. I had a Secrid wallet from a business function and decided to try it out since it is very small. It hold 7 cards without raised print which is more than enough. I ended up making an elastic band to go around it to slide money into. I have not regretted using this smaller wallet.

miles monroe

Post by miles monroe » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:57 pm

my allett nylon sport wallet with 10 cards and a few bills is skinnier than my old regualr leather wallet is empty.

it's (being totally serious) life changing.

TravelforFun

Re: not good to sit on a wallet

Post by TravelforFun » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:06 pm

Socrates wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:21 pm

I use a cell phone case that has a small slot which carries 2 credits cards (one of which is also my Costco card) and my DL.
Someone told me about that a few years back and I started carrying my wallet in my front pant pocket instead of the back pocket. My wallet is thick with a driver license, a debit card, a Visa card,a Mastercard, medical and dental insurance certificates, PE license pocket card, a safety card for when I go to the job site, a voter registration card, and perhaps $50 of various denominations.

TravelforFun

rugger

Post by rugger » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:19 pm

DatWayMon wrote:
I was in the same boat until a friend bought me a SlimFold Minimalist RFID Wallet. It says it hold 20 cards but I have more than that in it and it's still 1/3 the thickness of my old leather wallet. I sometimes find myself patting my pocket to make sure it's still there since it's so light and unobtrusive.

https://smile.amazon.com/SlimFold-Minim ... r=8-4&th=1
+1
I just replaced my brick of a wallet with the SlimFold

I carry about 12 cards and this can handle them no problem while still remaining incredibly slim. It's made out of a material that is a cross between kevlar and Gore-Tex. I got the black with black stitching and it looks good. Highly recommended.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:28 pm

I have used a Dopp Regatta for over 15 years. I replace it about every 4 years. At $15 I find that to be a very good value.

https://www.amazon.com/Dopp-Regatta-Poc ... rel&sr=1-5

No, the cards do not slip out unless you aggressively fling the wallet or throw it across the room. Then they will fall out. Plus is its leather and looks professional not military or industrial. Holds up pretty well.
Last edited by stan1 on Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:28 pm

I carry a slim credit card type case made of nylon from Amazon (Infinity Wallet). It holds: 3 credit cards, Sam's club card, Costco Card, 2 debit cards, gym card and my driver's license. I can easily add gift cards if I know I am going to that store. I sometimes also keep a $100 bill there for emergencies. I keep gift cards in the car hidden sometimes so I don't always wind up at the store without them and don't have to carry them.

As to the smartwatch/phone, they don't take Google Pay/Apple pay everywhere so I just wouldn't rely on that alone.

WannabeAgAlum

Post by WannabeAgAlum » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:55 pm

I carry 1 credit card, driver's license and parking garage key card in phone case. Best wallet decision I've ever made. G. Costanza wallett is kept at home in safe or in locked glove box.

Wannabe

Tdubs

Post by Tdubs » Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:30 pm

Interesting thread for someone like me who has a wallet dent on my a**.

ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:32 pm

I carry 12ish cards together, with a hair tie wrapped around it. Cash in a money clip and I only carry that if I'm going to a bar.

schachtw

Post by schachtw » Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:38 pm

A previous poster alluded to a “wallet dent on their a**”.
I got tired of mine, and bought a ‘Ridge’ carbon fiber credit card wallet w/money clip. I have 8 cards total (inclusive of ID’s, insurance cards and CC’s).

I keep it my front pocket; the dent is slowly going away.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:16 pm

TravelforFun wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:06 pm
Socrates wrote:

Someone told me about that a few years back and I started carrying my wallet in my front pant pocket instead of the back pocket. My wallet is thick with a driver license, a debit card, a Visa card,a Mastercard, medical and dental insurance certificates, PE license pocket card, a safety card for when I go to the job site, a voter registration card, and perhaps $50 of various denominations.

TravelforFun
I don't know how I managed not to carry my voter registration card around for all these years :twisted:

KSOC

Post by KSOC » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:47 pm

Money clip, front pocket. I eliminated that whole wallet thing about a decade ago. I hated it. I feel like it affected my spine. I never wore a watch either.I carry 6 cards & little cash. Also use Apple Wallet & Books on iPhone for passes, documents etc. Anything I can load into Wallet goes there.
Too soon old, too late smart.

TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:02 pm

neilpilot wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:16 pm
TravelforFun wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:06 pm
Socrates wrote:

TravelforFun
I don't know how I managed not to carry my voter registration card around for all these years :twisted:
If you're a naturalized citizen with an unusual name and live in a border state like me, you better have something to show you're a US citizen and a driver license wouldn't cut it. That voter registration card got me through checkpoints a few times.

TravelforFun
Last edited by TravelforFun on Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zeal

Post by zeal » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:38 pm

Check out Dash Wallets. I've used this one for a long time (mine is actually the "2.0"). I own two of these wallets--the one I carry every day has my credit union debit card, HSA debit card, med/vision/dental cards, and usually no more than five assorted bills. Just barely thick enough to notice in my back pocket. The other wallet is full of gift cards and other non-dailies like my Lowe's membership card--I've had as many as 20 cards in it at one time. I just leave this one at home unless I'm going out for shopping/dinner with my wife.

SevenBridgesRoad

Post by SevenBridgesRoad » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:27 pm

zeal wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:38 pm
Check out Dash Wallets. I've used this one for a long time (mine is actually the "2.0"). I own two of these wallets--the one I carry every day has my credit union debit card, HSA debit card, med/vision/dental cards, and usually no more than five assorted bills. Just barely thick enough to notice in my back pocket. The other wallet is full of gift cards and other non-dailies like my Lowe's membership card--I've had as many as 20 cards in it at one time. I just leave this one at home unless I'm going out for shopping/dinner with my wife.
Very good, Zeal. I just ordered a Dash Wallet. I'll give it a try. Been happy with a ripstop nylon REI RFID pants front pocket wallet (starting to wear a bit after three years) and a separate simple Shark money clip. I've been obsessed with perfecting a front pocket everyday carry for the last few years. I know, a weird thing to become obsessed with. Hated the whole Costanza back pocket thing. Men somewhere along the line are tricked into two fashion norms: back pocket leather wallets and neck ties. Once you are a front pocket guy you'll never go back. (Ties? Just stop. Don't wear one.)
Retired 2018 age 61 | "Not using an alarm is one of the great glories of my life." Robert Greene

stan1

Post by stan1 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:02 pm

zeal wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:38 pm
Flash sale going on now! Was $20 now $5!

:moneybag :moneybag :moneybag :moneybag

bluebolt

Post by bluebolt » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:05 am

This isn't a cost effective solution, but it does work really well. I have a Series 3 Apple Watch and an iPhone. Because my bank supports Apple Pay for ATM transactions and many places where I shop accept Apple Pay, I've been able to eliminate about half the cards from my wallet, making it much thinner. I now carry a few cards in my wallet, but primarily use Apple Pay from my watch, which is really convenient. When I go out for a run, walk or bike ride, I only bring my watch, knowing I can find somewhere that accepts Apple Pay in a pinch.

You can get a refurbished Series 1 Apple Watch on Amazon for $150. You could also get a used iPhone 6 (minimum to support Apple Pay I think) for $125. You can probably get these for less on Craigslist or eBay.

MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:31 am

protagonist wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:11 pm
I have one that looks like this one: https://www.amazon.com/BASICS-Minimalis ... 00TVBOL6S/

It's a different brand, but I think essentially the same, and it works great....had it for a few years and nothing has fallen out. I probably keep about 8-10 cards in it, including 2-3 that I frequently use in the "pullout" part. Also a $100 bill or a few twenties. If I have smaller bills I just keep them loose in my pocket.

Before this I went through a few of the ones that stick on to the back of a cell phone, but found them problematic. They had smaller capacity and if you put too much in they would stretch and eventually stuff would fall out. Also, I don't like the idea of having my cell phone AND my wallet all together....if you lose one thing you are screwed. I prefer keeping them in separate pockets.
Nice, just nabbed one of these. My Ainste strap has broken for the last time.

https://www.ainste.com/

Another option, but I am looking forward to something more durable. My father enjoys their fold wallet though (no strap to break).

flamesabers

Post by flamesabers » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:32 am

How many of the cards in your wallet are you actually using on a regular basis? Rather then try to find a high-tech solution to make your wallet thinner, I would suggest the old-fashion (and cheaper) solution of keeping only your most used/essential cards in your wallet. With your gift cards I would recommend going through them to ensure none of them are expiring or have already expired.

Nearly A Moose

Post by Nearly A Moose » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:09 pm

I carry more of a card case than a wallet. There’s nothing gimmicky about it - it’s just a leather case with a few we’ll desgined slots for things. It was a great purchase I made 10 years ago, looks sharp, and fits in my jacket or front pant pocket easily.

I carry:
ID
2 credit cards (primary card and a backup from a different processor)
Debit card
Metro card
Insurance cards
Cash, but usually only in large denominations

(In theory would love to find a way to drop the debit card and insurance cards, but I know I’ll need them the moment I do.)

It’s 1/3 inch thick.

Try using your gift cards for online shopping. I keep ours in a stack in the desk drawer. That way they get used but not carried.
Pardon typos, I'm probably using my fat thumbs on a tiny phone.