Travel Health Insurance for Peru

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Chairman

Travel Health Insurance for Peru

Post by Chairman »

Hello Fellow Bogleheads,
My family and I will be visiting Peru (Lima, Cusco, Machu Pichu) in mid-May. I would like to purchase travel health insurance for 4 adults (no major health issues). Please share your experience/recommendations on travel insurance companies for your own trips.

Thanks,
Chairman
kevinobes

Re: Travel Health Insurance for Peru

Post by kevinobes »

I’ve always used World Nomads for my travel insurance needs. I did the same Peru trip last June and my policy was $90 for a 12-day trip. Their site is super easy to use too. You just select the country and duration of your visit and will immediately have a quote. There are typically two tiers of coverage based on what activities you have planned but I think the Inca Trail was still just considered the standard policy even though it’s a bit of an adventure.

Thankfully I didn’t end up having any use for the insurance in Peru but I did file a claim a few years ago after an incident trekking in Nepal and can attest to World Nomads having great customer service and reimbursed my expenses quickly. Much more pleasant than dealing with BCBS anyway :)

Hope that helps, and have a great trip! I’m sure you’ll love it!!
munemaker

Post by munemaker »

I believe the Marriott credit card offers free travel insurance if you charge your trip on the card.

Also, before traveling to the Dominican Republic recently, I called my Medicare Advantage provider. They said if I had any health problems, to pay out-of-pocket and they would process the bills as in-network claims. The plan I have also includes medical evacuation if necessary.

I have never had any health problems while traveling, so I can't say how well either of these would work in practice.
bernoulli

Post by bernoulli »

We always use World Nomads too (including our recent trip to Peru) although we never had to file a claim with them.
Teddy Ruxpin

Post by Teddy Ruxpin »

I use World Nomads too.

My wife got sick in Peru in July 2017. Hotel called doctor that arrived with ambulance. Ambulance picked us up from our hotel (We stayed at the Palacio Del Inka in Cusco). Tambo del Inka was great too.

Anyways, she got a few IV bags and Cipro, a private room that came with a bed for her and a full size bed for me to stay overnight.

Came out to $350 American. I'm sure that was the foreigner price but was a steal so didn't have to use World Nomads.

I did call them but they would have kicked in if I needed to pretty much "evacuate" her due to medical emergency. We were heading back the next day as it was so we just took our scheduled flight back, but I talked to them at least 4/5 times on the phone which was reassuring. Can't review if they would have actually executed well though.

Despite that, interesting trip. Have fun.
LifeIsGood

Post by LifeIsGood »

Just an FYI - I tried to get a quote from World Nomads on an upcoming trip but they only insure people 69 yrs old and under.
jminv

Post by jminv »

Use a few comparison sites to ensure you receive some decent quotes.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Chairman wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:05 pm Hello Fellow Bogleheads,
My family and I will be visiting Peru (Lima, Cusco, Machu Pichu) in mid-May. I would like to purchase travel health insurance for 4 adults (no major health issues). Please share your experience/recommendations on travel insurance companies for your own trips.

Thanks,
Chairman
You might try calling www.TripInsuranceStore.com

But CALL, don't just read policy summaries online.

Tell them exactly what you are looking for. They are brokers, and use several vetted insurers.
We've had excellent experiences with the policies we purchased through them with Travel Insured. Yes, we've had several claims, including two large claims. We get policies that include the travel costs also, but not everyone wants/needs that.

We have our evacuation coverage through TIS, with MedJetAssist, but they ONLY cover evacuation once you are admitted as an inpatient. The good part of their coverage is that YOU get to decide whether to be evacuated, and to which hospital in the USA (if you are resident there). No bean counters make the decision, etc.
Fortunately, we have not used this, although we came too close for comfort a few years ago.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Mapmaker

Post by Mapmaker »

Geoblue has affordable coverage for outside the US. It is also sold at TripInsuranceStore.
https://geobluetravelinsurance.com
LucyB

Post by LucyB »

We’ve used Wallach & Company, but have never had a claim, and we couple that with an annual MedJets policy.
The above comments are merely an expression of personal opinion and should not be considered advice in any form—tax, legal, financial or otherwise.
bighatnohorse

Post by bighatnohorse »

We've used Generali Global Assistance and had one claim for a canceled trip in Patagonia (around $5K IIRC). We were reimbursed for the losses plus the additional un-planned lodging and food.
While in Arequipa Peru I had fever and bronchial problems that knocked the krap out me and I visited a local clinic for help.
The cost was about $50. for the doctor and a massive antibiotic shot in the butt. (fixed me right up :happy )
I didn't file a claim for the small amount.
Topic Author
Chairman

Post by Chairman »

Thanks to everyone for their recommendations; I will keep you posted.
SRenaeP

Post by SRenaeP »

Mapmaker wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:10 pm Geoblue has affordable coverage for outside the US. It is also sold at TripInsuranceStore.
https://geobluetravelinsurance.com
I'll state up front that I've never had to actually use my travel health insurance. That said, I previously had a policy with GeoBlue and found their coverage limits to be pretty low ($50k IIRC). I then switched to Seven Corners which has an annual policy with $1M coverage limit and includes repatriation.