How much to tip on DoorDash?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
masonstone

How much to tip on DoorDash?

Post by masonstone » Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:46 pm

How much do you generally tip on DoorDash for food delivered?

Trader Joe

Re: How much to tip on DoorDash?

Post by Trader Joe » Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:55 pm

masonstone wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:46 pm
I tip Doordash (and all other food delivery services) $0.00. Their employer pays them.

Topic Author
masonstone

Post by masonstone » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:15 pm

Trader Joe wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:55 pm
masonstone wrote:
I tip Doordash (and all other food delivery services) $0.00. Their employer pays them.
The employers usually underpay since in America it is assumed they'll be receiving some tip.

randybobandy

Post by randybobandy » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:17 pm

I tip $5 if it's a 1 or 2 person order, more if it's a larger order.

anil686

Post by anil686 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:19 pm

randybobandy wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:17 pm
I tip $5 if it's a 1 or 2 person order, more if it's a larger order.
+1

anoop

Post by anoop » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:54 pm

When I use it, I usually pay the tip suggested by the app.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:57 pm

I don’t use Door Dash, but when I use Uber Eats to burn my monthly Amex benefit, I tip $5. Order is always for two people.

BBailey

Post by BBailey » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:56 pm

Trader Joe wrote:
masonstone wrote:
Then I guarantee every driver who delivers your food will be the last time. If you can’t afford to use the service don’t use it. They spend their own gas and time to bring your food. Don’t be a cheapskate. DD pays a base $3 per order in my area. My money comes from tips, not the paltry amount DD pays me.

Yes I am a driver as a side gig. The further I drive the more I expect to be compensated. I don’t care if it’s a cheeseburger or a 10 course meal. The gas is the same. If someone ordered $100 in food and needed it driven down the street $5 would be fine with me. A cheeseburger delivered 15 miles, which I have to then drive 15 miles back to the restaurant zone. $5 isn’t cutting it and I’ll pass on the order. We can’t see how much the tip is, but we can infer based on having an idea of the base pay from DD.

RonSwanson

Post by RonSwanson » Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:21 pm

$20 minimum during COVID-19 I'd say.

khh

Post by khh » Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:29 pm

RonSwanson wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:21 pm
$20 minimum during COVID-19 I'd say.
2 thumbs up.

Adam11

Post by Adam11 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:58 am

Trader Joe wrote:
masonstone wrote:
Driver here. (I’ve posted extensively on driving uber here, but smoothly transitioned to DoorDash in the past month to keep the side-gig pocket money flowing. Off-the-charts demand, contactless delivery, freely available parking, and light traffic have made it worthwhile for the time being.)
The driver can figure out what your tip is with some quick math before accepting the delivery order. No tip is an immediate decline from me...this is not charity work. Only brand new drivers will unknowingly accept base rate deliveries with no tip attached, but they learn quickly. The other driver above is correct about the $3 base pay. That fact makes this a hustle gig that’s all about the gratuities, and about two-thirds of the wages earned come from customers’ tips.

Most decent customers have enough sense to tip ~$5 minimum to folks out working hard in times like these. The delivery demand is far outpacing the supply nowadays, so the independent contractors doing the work can afford to be picky while your parsimonious attitude is guaranteeing your order gets the lowest priority possible. Without a tip added, your food will sit at the restaurant far too long, will likely arrive cold, and might not even be delivered at all. And a twice-shy driver will definitely remember you if your name/address ever pops up again. Since there are so few $0 tips, the rare ones stick out like a sore thumb.

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:46 am

I tip $0. If my food arrives late or never then I won't use that app anymore or I get a refund. I used to work at McDonald's and at a grocery store where wages were low and tips were rare and I refused all of them. I was paid a wage I accepted for the job.

I do pay a tip the rare times I eat at a restaurant which is why it's rare. I think prices should be higher to reflect living wages for the staff like how it is done in most of the world.

djpeteski

Post by djpeteski » Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:17 am

Over tip. Just think these delivery drivers are doing us a massive service. Yes they bring us the stuff we want, but more importantly they are keeping us from being exposed to the cranky cheapskates that don't tip or find some lame excuse to reduce or eliminate the tip. That is their true gift to society.

dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:10 am

$5 minimum, more if it's a large order or far away restaurant. Usually $10 during COVID (if I remember to be generous). The driver doesn't work for the restaurant and is doing a LOT more than bringing my food from the kitchen to a table. Doesn't matter whether it's DoorDash UberEats or regular restaurant delivery (a pizza guy).

If I'm too lazy to drive to the restaurant for pickup then the least I can do is give the guy who did an extra five bucks.

However, if you can, order right from the restaurant. That way during this time they aren't stuck paying 20- 30% of your tab to DoorDash.
Last edited by dukeblue219 on Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:43 am

Tipping is expected for certain services. And those who don’t believe in tipping should not not order services where tips are expected.

They are certainly free to go shopping and pick up the stuff themselves with their own time, gas and wear and tear on their cars. If one does not want to work for free, one should not expect others to work for free.

student

Post by student » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:46 am

I have never used DoorDash but Emily Post Institute's guideline is always good. https://emilypost.com/advice/general-tipping-guide/ "Home Delivery: 10-15% of the bill, $2-5 for pizza delivery depending on the size of the order and difficulty of delivery"

caffeperfavore

Post by caffeperfavore » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:20 am

We've been ordering from local restaurants whose staff are now drivers for them. I'm tipping them 15-20+% as if we were dining in the restaurant. Higher if it's not a high dollar order.

We can afford it, so it's money well spent to keep the places we love afloat and to keep some money moving in this economy. Their staff are hurting. It's the least we can do.

Marylander1

Post by Marylander1 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:36 am

Pomegranate wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:23 am
Absolutely! But the situation must be symmetrical, right? If the food is cold and messed up, there should be 0 tips + refund + fine for my wasted time, correct?
Maybe you're going about this the wrong way. Your actions may be generating bad service.

We place large orders (ordering 4 entrees from a restaurant so we have more to eat the next day) and tip 15%+ as we know drivers are working hard.

All our orders have been very fast, accurate, and in great condition.

Marylander1

btq96r

Post by btq96r » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:48 am

$5 minimum. If I'm too lazy to leave my apartment, someone else deserves that money. Besides, it's common sense to make the person handling your food at least content with the money they're getting for it.
Moderation is for Canadians.

Pomegranate

Post by Pomegranate » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:49 am

Marylander1 wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:36 am
Pomegranate wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:23 am
Absolutely! But the situation must be symmetrical, right? If the food is cold and messed up, there should be 0 tips + refund + fine for my wasted time, correct?

All our orders have been very fast, accurate, and in great condition.

Marylander1
Love to tip for such orders!

Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:02 am

For similar services I usually tip $5. During Covad I tip at least $10.
When ordering delivery directly from a local restaurant (4-5 blocks away) I tip $5 now and usually 20% of bill during normal times.

wandering_aimlessly

Post by wandering_aimlessly » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:43 am

I don't use delivery services (mostly because getting out to pick up a meal is a nice break these days). I tip about $10 for curbside for 3 or 4 people - though I must say the quality of food and service coming from many establishments is rather subpar. Few of the meals I have picked up have been at the time mentioned and about 40-50% of the orders have been incorrect (missing items - have yet to see anything extra included). I understand this is relatively new for everyone so there would be glitches - a little surprised the errors tend to only go one way.
I view the tip as something unique for the current situation since I can afford it - I will return to my cheap ways upon the resolution of this situation.

BBailey

Post by BBailey » Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:52 am

atikovi wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:02 am
Adam11 wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:58 am
Without a tip added, your food will sit at the restaurant far too long, will likely arrive cold, and might not even be delivered at all.
I've never used a food delivery company, but isn't a tip based on service? And if so, why is it given at the time of ordering? You don't know the quality of the service until it arrives and you open the packages. Is the food cold because the driver did other deliveries before getting to your house. Has the food spilled out of the containers because of rough handling? At the very least I would wait to tip when the food arrives, and in cash which the driver would appreciate more. If that means the driver sees the order as a no tip, there is a problem with the ordering system.
Valid point, however I want to have an idea ahead of time how much a given delivery is going to be worth to me. Case in point, I delivered an order from a steakhouse last week from one side of our city to the other. The guaranteed delivery amount was lower than I would normally accept, but I figured from the steakhouse there was a chance for the tip to make up for it. I rolled the dice. I had to drive to the restaurant from where I was when the order came to my phone, wait at the restaurant for 10 minutes (time is money in this business) for the order to be ready, then deliver across town to an apartment complex no less --- more time trying to find the right building and apartment number. The tip? $1. The low guarantee that I saw on my phone was actually what I got. I've set a personal minimum that I don't accept orders below $X, and in that case I did and got burned.

If I don't know what you're tipping ahead of time, I'm not going to take the chance you're one of the no-tippers and spend all of my time on your order. If you leave a large tip, I can infer that from the amount DD shows me on my phone. For example, I had an order recently where the customer tipped me $23 but DoorDash only showed it to me as a $10 order in my phone. You can always change the tip later if I don't show up (I always have) or if your food looks like it was peeled off of my floorboard.

chrisjul

Post by chrisjul » Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:53 am

Trader Joe wrote:
masonstone wrote:
$10. Tough way to earn a living with the virus.

getthatmarshmallow

Post by getthatmarshmallow » Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:59 am

We're tipping $10 right now due to COVID 19, for deliveries that are about a mile or two. In ordinary times we never order in, so I see this as helping the local economy a bit.

8foot7

Post by 8foot7 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:16 am

$10 minimum in this environment. If the service is poor I will dispute the charge.

I view tips as gratuity, an amount I pay because I'm grateful for something. yes, it's about service but I am also grateful that someone is even willing to perform the service (of carrying my food across town) for me.

Superleaf444

Post by Superleaf444 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:35 am

Wow. Just. I mean wow to some of these comments.

During the pandemic if I order out I tip no lower than 40% up to 100%.

prudent

Post by prudent » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:46 am

Locked for moderator review.

Topic reopened after I removed many off-topic posts. This topic is about tipping on DoorDash, not tipping in general. History shows if the topic drifts into a generic tipping thread, it will end up being locked.

Tamarind

Post by Tamarind » Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:00 pm

At least 20% and round up generously. I don't usually order via these apps. I'm doing so now because I need to stay home and stay safe. I can get paid to work from home. I'm assuming the driver can't - that's why they are logged on - and therefore they really need the money. As far as I'm concerned that means they should get hazard pay.

My gas budget is going unspent these days and I'm eating out much less so I have plenty to redirect to tips.

wootwoot

Post by wootwoot » Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:03 pm

So many posts mention Covid-19 when that wasn't part of the original question. To those that referenced the pandemic what did you normally tip DoorDash drivers before?

Superleaf444

Post by Superleaf444 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:13 pm

wootwoot wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:03 pm
So many posts mention Covid-19 when that wasn't part of the original question. To those that referenced the pandemic what did you normally tip DoorDash drivers before?
True!

I rarelyyyyyyyy used these services before the virus but if I did I would stick to 20%.

Re:
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/21/nyre ... -bike.html

As a former server I think 20% is fair, because I mean a delivery person is basically the same imo.

Refilling drinks vs coming to your place of living seems pretty equal.

But I get that is a bit of a gray area.

cos

Post by cos » Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:26 pm

I generally tip 20% everywhere, especially through delivery apps like DoorDash, GrubHub, and Uber Eats. Having worked in the service industry myself, I know firsthand that these people aren't being paid enough.

I round up if I'm content with the service and round down if I'm disappointed. If I'm really impressed, I double it and tip 40%. If I'm genuinely upset, I tip 0%. It's an easy rule of thumb which allows me to financially express my level of satisfaction while remaining fairly compassionate in the base case. I like that.

FlyerJack

Post by FlyerJack » Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:39 pm

wootwoot wrote:
Depends on the size and complexity of the order. $5 or so, normally. More now. The question was posted this month, so (to me) the background of the pandemic is assumed.

With specific reference to Doordash/similar food delivery drivers, I can’t fathom being stingy during the pandemic. It’s such a valuable service, and if I am financially comfortable, then it seems right to value that delivery person accordingly during this dangerous time. The company (which incidentally issues 1099s, with all related issues; the drivers are not “employees” AFAIK) may or may not treat them well, but I can control how I treat them.

student

Post by student » Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:22 pm

FlyerJack wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:39 pm
wootwoot wrote:
Depends on the size and complexity of the order. $5 or so, normally. More now. The question was posted this month, so (to me) the background of the pandemic is assumed.

With specific reference to Doordash/similar food delivery drivers, I can’t fathom being stingy during the pandemic. It’s such a valuable service, and if I am financially comfortable, then it seems right to value that delivery person accordingly during this dangerous time. The company (which incidentally issues 1099s, with all related issues; the drivers are not “employees” AFAIK) may or may not treat them well, but I can control how I treat them.
Actually, the question was posted in April 2019. It was a year ago.

FlyerJack

Post by FlyerJack » Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:25 pm

Wow! You are correct, of course. :beer

BogleFanGal

Post by BogleFanGal » Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:39 pm

Adam11 wrote:
Trader Joe wrote:
masonstone wrote:
The delivery demand is far outpacing the supply nowadays, so the independent contractors doing the work can afford to be picky while your parsimonious attitude is guaranteeing your order gets the lowest priority possible. Without a tip added, your food will sit at the restaurant far too long, will likely arrive cold, and might not even be delivered at all. And a twice-shy driver will definitely remember you if your name/address ever pops up again. Since there are so few $0 tips, the rare ones stick out like a sore thumb.
So glad to hear DD drivers can do this. It would be AWESOME if all delivery drivers could flag or ID these people somehow in the system, so a driver at least has the choice to de-prioritize those who stiff them to the bottom of the list.

I just love how people who don't tip think their business is soooo valuable - "I just won't order from the business again". Good: please go fetch and cook your own darn food. Stop messing with people's ability to feed their families. If you don't "believe" in DoorDash tipping, stop using the service. No one is risking their health out there for $3/hour salary.
"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen." Mark Twain

manuvns

Post by manuvns » Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:43 pm

1-2$ per item minimum of $3

atikovi

Post by atikovi » Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:26 pm

BogleFanGal wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:39 pm
Adam11 wrote:
Trader Joe wrote:
masonstone wrote:
The delivery demand is far outpacing the supply nowadays, so the independent contractors doing the work can afford to be picky while your parsimonious attitude is guaranteeing your order gets the lowest priority possible. Without a tip added, your food will sit at the restaurant far too long, will likely arrive cold, and might not even be delivered at all. And a twice-shy driver will definitely remember you if your name/address ever pops up again. Since there are so few $0 tips, the rare ones stick out like a sore thumb.
So glad to hear DD drivers can do this. It would be AWESOME if all delivery drivers could flag or ID these people somehow in the system, so a driver at least has the choice to de-prioritize those who stiff them to the bottom of the list.

I just love how people who don't tip think their business is soooo valuable - "I just won't order from the business again". Good: please go fetch and cook your own darn food. Stop messing with people's ability to feed their families. If you don't "believe" in DoorDash tipping, stop using the service. No one is risking their health out there for $3/hour salary.
I'm all for a reasonable tip, and after service is rendered. Most of the pizza delivery drivers I see driving around are teens or 20's so I doubt they have families to feed. And if they do, and without sounding judgemental, more often than not they were the ones that made the life choices that put them in a low paying job in the first place.

Isabelle77

Post by Isabelle77 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:15 pm

atikovi wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:26 pm
BogleFanGal wrote:
Adam11 wrote:
Trader Joe wrote:
masonstone wrote:

I'm all for a reasonable tip, and after service is rendered. Most of the pizza delivery drivers I see driving around are teens or 20's so I doubt they have families to feed. And if they do, and without sounding judgemental, more often than not they were the ones that made the life choices that put them in a low paying job in the first place.
The lady who delivered our groceries this week drove a minivan with two kids in carseats in the back. I don't care what kind of life choices you think she may have made, tipping her well is the right thing to do.

BBailey

Post by BBailey » Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:50 pm

atikovi wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:26 pm
BogleFanGal wrote:
Adam11 wrote:
Trader Joe wrote:
masonstone wrote:

I really hope no one is using any delivery or ride share service as a full time job. This is just one of my side hustles, meaning I’m not reliant on it and can afford to cherry pick which orders I take. I agree with the idea above that tipping after a service is the preferred method, but since I don’t know if someone will stiff me or not I choose not to accept orders where I can tell there is not already a built in tip. If you feel the service was poor there’s a way to reduce or remove the tip.

For example I recently did a $9 order that turned out to have a $23 built in tip. DD guaranteed me $9 in case the person removed the tip, even though the base pay was only $3. It’s been a pretty good hustle so far. My main job is non-scheduled, so this allows me to stay flexible to the needs of my main bread and butter.

orhkaf

Post by orhkaf » Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:52 pm

I tip 0. The service charge is more than enough.

Momus

Post by Momus » Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:59 pm

DoorDash driver makes about $7.5 per delivery. You can do 2 delivery per hour. That's INCLUDING tips since almost 90% don't tip.

They have to pay gas, and maintenance for their car. At best, they are making $10/hr net. They live or die by tips.

Trust me I was one and I did 1500 deliveries total in 3 months.

Sometimes I decline/drop an order if I know there is a more lucrative order with potential bigger tip. Small order = almost no tip. Big order = chance of tip. I'd decline all the crappy orders sometimes just to have a chance of picking up a large order because $2-5 tip is better than none.

mikep

Post by mikep » Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:06 pm

I just use the default tip, we have Dashpass covered by our credit card (sapphire reserve) so there are lower delivery fees. (They still add a "service fee" which isn't a delivery fee... ?)

BogleFanGal

Post by BogleFanGal » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:01 pm

orhkaf wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:52 pm
So glad they can tell what your tipping policy is right in the app. This way, each driver can freely decide if they still want to accept you as a customer and deliver your order tip-free. That's how it should work.

To me, that service charge is the annoying part...which thankfully many are waiving right now temporarily.
"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen." Mark Twain

BBailey

Post by BBailey » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:13 pm

orhkaf wrote:
Enough for you, but not enough for me to get your food. I get it that it can be an expensive service (which is why I don’t ever get delivery pizza...I go get it on my own). But you pay to play.

atikovi

Post by atikovi » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:43 pm

Just got back from a local Greek restaurant which has $5 Gyro Wednesdays. They had a table set up for delivery service pickups and I saw maybe five bags set out. In the 10 minutes I was there waiting for my order, only one driver picked up a bag. I can imagine the customers of the other orders getting cold soggy food and complaining about the restaurant because of it. It's not their fault. Does this food ordering system take into account the differences between the time the order is placed, the time it takes for the order to be made, the time it takes for a driver to pick up the order and the time it takes for it to be delivered?

BBailey

Post by BBailey » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:51 pm

atikovi wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:43 pm
Just got back from a local Greek restaurant which has $5 Gyro Wednesdays. They had a table set up for delivery service pickups and I saw maybe five bags set out. In the 10 minutes I was there waiting for my order, only one driver picked up a bag. I can imagine the customers of the other orders getting cold soggy food and complaining about the restaurant because of it. It's not their fault. Does this food ordering system take into account the differences between the time the order is placed, the time it takes for the order to be made, the time it takes for a driver to pick up the order and the time it takes for it to be delivered?
I don’t know for certain, but I believe I get notifications of an order being placed at the same time as the restaurant. By the time I get to the restaurant the order is usually ready. There have been numerous times where I am there before the order is ready though. The orders you saw sitting on the table could very well be for people who aren’t tipping. It’s going to be a while before any driver shows up to get those since we are likely out delivering for people who tipped well.

Related to your comment, I typically will just do pick ups at restaurants that are close by. Having to drive across town to pick up an order, that I then have to drive back across town to deliver is a waste of my gas and time. The food I deliver then tends to be fresher.

TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er » Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:03 pm

orhkaf wrote:
Not for the person making the delivery. This comment made me sad.

Ray_McKigney

Post by Ray_McKigney » Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:08 pm

Been tipping $10 for $15-20 lunch orders and $20 for larger dinner orders.

After reading this thread, I’m strongly considering tipping more.
Master of my domain

jeroly

Post by jeroly » Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:19 pm

As an aside... is there some functionality on the forum where I can hide from my 'feed' all future posts of all the [redacted] people who've been bragging here about stiffing folks that rely on their gratuities?