fun car advice

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
EnjoyIt

fun car advice

Post by EnjoyIt » Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:44 pm

I am looking for a fun to drive roadster or coupe and hoping to get some advice. Here is the criteria

I am willing to spend up to $50k give or take a bit for a car that will not depreciate any further and may actually gain in value over the years.
Ideally not extremely difficult to do basic maintenance.
Manual transmission
I'm willing to go 10 years old or more.
preferably more powerful than a Miata.

Some examples I can maybe think of would be the s2000 or the Elise.

Please share your thoughts and reasons.

phxjcc

Re: fun car advice

Post by phxjcc » Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:50 pm

911.996 40 Jahre

GmanJeff

Post by GmanJeff » Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:59 pm

Used older Porsche 911 or newer Cayman, or BMW M3/4

DDubya

Post by DDubya » Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:19 pm

Mini Cooper..
I have an "S" convertible and it is a really fun car. I don't know about all your criteria but it has power greater than the Miata and basic maintenance isn't difficult, although somewhat expensive.
For a Mini coupe look at the John Cooper Works model.
"The intensity of the conviction that a hypothesis is true has no bearing on whether it is true or not." | "No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up."

Atilla

Post by Atilla » Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:27 pm

Honda S2000
Nissan GTR
Moderator Warning-Free Since 2017.

l8_apex

Post by l8_apex » Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:33 pm

Why would a S2000 or Elise be acceptable when a Miata isn't? They're all similar with respect to horsepower, size, and handling.

Most anything you'd buy that's 10 years old will have gone through its depreciation curve, and most everybody hopes to sell for more than they buy.

What strikes your fancy? At heart I'm a Viper guy, but currently have a '07 911 Turbo. $50k won't cut it for that car, but you could get a base 911.

At $50k, one car I'd personally think about is the current Mustang GT350. My attraction to them is that they're good on the track.

Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets » Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:35 pm

What is your criteria for a fun car? Aside from 50k.

BobDaBlob

Post by BobDaBlob » Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:51 pm

An Elise is only fun in it's intended/limited use, e.g. highways or open, well-maintained roads. It is not remotely comfortable on your typical pot-holed back country road. An older 911 or fairly recent (2011-15) Mustang GT will be more comfortable over the longer haul and may be more practical for long-term use. You could probably dig into some recent Vette's as well. Depending on your driving intentions, you might even want to consider something "classic", say a mid-60's Camaro convertible or GTO.
Too much of everything is just enough...

Topic Author
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt » Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:53 pm

GmanJeff wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:59 pm
Used older Porsche 911 or newer Cayman, or BMW M3/4
I don't think any of the newer cars have hit the bottom of depreciation and I am concerned that the older German's will have lots of electrical problems as did my last 13 year old German car.
Atilla wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:27 pm
Honda S2000
Nissan GTR
GTR is interesting advice. You think the older ones will appreciate at some point?
l8_apex wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:33 pm
Why would a S2000 or Elise be acceptable when a Miata isn't? They're all similar with respect to horsepower, size, and handling.

Most anything you'd buy that's 10 years old will have gone through its depreciation curve, and most everybody hopes to sell for more than they buy.

What strikes your fancy? At heart I'm a Viper guy, but currently have a '07 911 Turbo. $50k won't cut it for that car, but you could get a base 911.

At $50k, one car I'd personally think about is the current Mustang GT350. My attraction to them is that they're good on the track.
S2000 and Elise are a bit better than the Miata because the S2000 has more HP and the Elise is lighter.
Both cars are now appreciating in value as they age while Miatas do not.
Also, I do not suspect a Mustang GT350 will ever hold its value.

Lastly, do the 911s really hold value or do they keep on depreciating like the Boxster and Cayman. I look at older Boxster and Caymans and they can be had for $10k likely because they require expensive maintenance at that point. Am I incorrect? Also, I am concerned about the German electrical degradation that so many older German cars experience. I would hate to buy a car that I will spend more time wrenching on as opposed to driving.

Viper is an awesome car.
Shallowpockets wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:35 pm
What is your criteria for a fun car? Aside from 50k.
I am more than happy to spend less than $50k and so far have strongly considered an S2000 ($20k-$25k.) I consider a fun car is something that is light, well balanced, and fun to drive with the potential to track once or twice a year.
DDubya wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:19 pm
Mini Cooper..
I have an "S" convertible and it is a really fun car. I don't know about all your criteria but it has power greater than the Miata and basic maintenance isn't difficult, although somewhat expensive.
For a Mini coupe look at the John Cooper Works model.
Thanks for the advice. I will look into them as well.

Cycle

Post by Cycle » Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:59 pm

What do u think will happen to the non-self driving car market when self driving cars become ubiquitous?

I personally don't want to be on the highway near human operated vehicles, and neither will anyone else. At some point if a vehicle doesn't have certain safety features, they won't be allowed on the roads. Perhaps there'll be a sensor kit you can add to make it street legal.

Point being the demand in the near future for ice / human driven cars may be small, meaning u could get big time depreciation.

The tech is getting advanced, current state of the art update
https://youtu.be/sRxaMDDMWQQ

Ford is saying large scale role out 2021... Wow. Exciting time to be alive.
Last edited by Cycle on Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never look back unless you are planning to go that way

midwestyank

Post by midwestyank » Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:10 pm

My husband built a Cobra '65 replica kit car that's awesome (and for sale). It's a roadster but yet local govt considers it a '65 so vehicle taxes are low. He put in a 302 H/O Ford motor. (375 hp) Would go great around the track with very light body!

Topic Author
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt » Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:19 pm

Cycle wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:59 pm
What do u think will happen to the non-self driving car market when self driving cars become ubiquitous?

I personally don't want to be on the highway near human operated vehicles, and neither will anyone else. At some point if a vehicle doesn't have certain safety features, they won't be allowed on the roads. Perhaps there'll be a sensor kit you can add to make it street legal.

Point being the demand in the near future for ice / human driven cars may be small, meaning u could get big time depreciation.

The tech is getting advanced, current state of the art update
https://youtu.be/sRxaMDDMWQQ
I am personally skeptical that full autonomous vehicles will be mandatory within the next decade. The tech is getting close but not yet mainstream. Then the transition needs to occur which may very well take more than 10 years. ON the ICE side, keep in mind that there are plenty of ICE manufacturers that are enjoying the profits of those vehicles. I doubt they will be spearheading the mandatory transition anytime soon.

Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:46 pm

Ferrari 355

And yes, 911s tends to hit a point then hold value. Booster and Cayman, other than special versions, do not because they are not desirable. They are barely even sports cars.

bubbadog

Post by bubbadog » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:03 pm

How about an Acura NSX?

I had one and they are going up in value, exotic looking, reliable, and relatively cheap to maintain.

You might have to up your budget a little for a really nice one.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:33 pm

Porsche--various
Nissan--GTR or 370Z

yee haa!!!!!!!!

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:56 pm

Doom&Gloom wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:33 pm
Porsche--various
Nissan--GTR or 370Z

yee haa!!!!!!!!
370z, even the Nismo, doesn't really belong in this thread.

thrifty_one

Post by thrifty_one » Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:09 pm

I'm gonna throw the 2006-2008 BMW M Coupes and M Roadsters. While they're both raw , high performance sports cars, the Coupe has recently been gaining in value and i expect the Roadster to follow suit. The premium Coupes seem to sell in the upper 30K to low-40Ks and the Roadsters are typically sell in the mid-twenties altho low mileage, unblemished ones are selling into the $30Ks. I personally have 2006 M Roadster that is quite a performer.

Enjoy your toy hunting journey!
LBYM

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:18 pm

stoptothink wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:56 pm
Doom&Gloom wrote:
Porsche--various
Nissan--GTR or 370Z

yee haa!!!!!!!!
Really?
EnjoyIt wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:44 pm
I am looking for a fun to drive roadster or coupe and hoping to get some advice. Here is the criteria

I am willing to spend up to $50k give or take a bit for a car that will not depreciate any further and may actually gain in value over the years.
Manual transmission

>$50k or less--check (depreciation? who knows???)
>Not extremely difficult to do basic maintenance--check
>Manual transmission--check
>10 years or old or more--check
>more powerful than a Miata--check

???

corn18

Post by corn18 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:49 pm

thrifty_one wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:09 pm
I'm gonna throw the 2006-2008 BMW M Coupes and M Roadsters. While they're both raw , high performance sports cars, the Coupe has recently been gaining in value and i expect the Roadster to follow suit. The premium Coupes seem to sell in the upper 30K to low-40Ks and the Roadsters are typically sell in the mid-twenties altho low mileage, unblemished ones are selling into the $30Ks. I personally have 2006 M Roadster that is quite a performer.

Enjoy your toy hunting journey!
I was going to suggest the same. We had a 2007 Z4M roadster and it was a blast. Paid $33k for it 4 years ago and sold it for $33k. It only had 14,000 miles on it when I bought it and it was immaculate.
Don't do something, just stand there!

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:57 pm

Cycle wrote:
At some point if a vehicle doesn't have certain safety features, they won't be allowed on the roads.
Maybe some day, but not during my lifetime. So the government is just going to demand people scrap their non self driving cars? I really doubt that. I don't even see self driving cars becoming popular in our rural area. The roads are not all nicely maintained with lines and markers so I question how well self driving cars will be able to navigate them. Someday yes...but I think you are getting way ahead of yourself.

kappy

Post by kappy » Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:59 pm

If the roads you typically drive on are reasonably smooth, an '05/06 Elise is hard to beat. You will not drive another car like it and there will never be another car built like it. You can find a well-taken-cared-for example in the mid $30k's and their value has been steady or increasing for several years. It has a Toyota engine and regular maintenance is easy to do yourself. You just have to spend 10 minutes pulling the aluminum panel out from under the engine.

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:26 pm

The thing about all these car threads is that you really need to go out and drive these cars to know. A fun car has to stir some inner desire in you and what you think might be the perfect car could be a dud the minute you get behind the wheel and drive it. Drive an Elise, drive an S2000, drive a Miata. Not the one? Drive a 370z. Love it? Hate it? Try a Porsche, try a BMW, you’re not going to get an answer here, with all the “this car is great”, “no, it’s terrible junk” opinions. So drive a bunch of cars, try to appreciate each for what it is and isn’t and eventually the answer will be clear to you.

dsmclone

Post by dsmclone » Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:37 am

If I could fit in one, I'd have an S2000. Nothing like those high reving Honda 4cyl N/A motors. Interior is bare bones, which I love in this type of car. I actually looked into what it would take to modify the seat so that I could get a couple of extra inches of leg room but in the end decided that it just wasn't worth it. On the other hand, I fit fine in a Miata but unlike the rest of the world, didn't really enjoy driving it. I think I'm use to japanese sport bikes and the S2000 gives you that same sort of feel.

I've also had a Nissan 350z and it's no S2000 but it's a fun little sports car that can be bought super cheap and is reliable. People bash on the 350/370 because very little has changed about it in the last 15 years but I think the styling has held up extremely well.

If you're looking to spend more, you could look at the new Supra. Wonderful BMW motor but if you want a manual you're SOL.

chevca

Post by chevca » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:13 am

Cycle wrote:
Sure, and when I was a kid in the 80's they told us we would have flying cars by the year 2000..... Don't hold your breath waiting for "some point".

OP, any year Corvette Z06... they are basically track cars you can drive on the street.

With a $50k limit and looking for an older car, you're options are huge. You can find a ton of older cars someone modded up to be a fun or track car in that range. It's going to come down to personal preference really.

chevca

Post by chevca » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:25 am

Kenkat wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:26 pm
The thing about all these car threads is that you really need to go out and drive these cars to know. A fun car has to stir some inner desire in you and what you think might be the perfect car could be a dud the minute you get behind the wheel and drive it.
This ^^

As well as, one should have a pretty good idea as to what they're idea of a fun car is already. There should be some certain car or two they really want. Asking random folks on the internet what type of fun car they should get.... Uh, did the idea just come to you today?

FireSekr

Post by FireSekr » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:33 am

You can find versions of the cayman in your price range that will meet most of your criteria. Not sure why you’d assume all German cars will have electrical problems. Porsche is close to Toyota in long term reliability. Each brand and even model has its own weak spots, not all German cars have bad electrics.

Earlier Caymans (2006-2008)have an issue with IMS failure but that was addressed and there aren’t too many weak points

GT-R is an interesting choice. It’s well made and extremely quick, but it’s not fun. Do you want something that feels good or just gets the best track times?

An E46 M3 May be a good option. They’ve started rising in value and are excellent to drive.

letaPAS037

Post by letaPAS037 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:49 am

S2000 hands down. I’ve had one for over a decade and can’t get rid of it as it is just so much fun. It’s super short ratio so you can responsibly wind it out thru multiple gears on the street. It has one of the best, if not the absolute best manual transmission is the business. And it is near impossible to break, even after revving out to redline multiple times on a daily basis. Maintanance is regular Honda .

I would find a clean one as it won’t depreciate at this point. As a point of reference, when it comes to sheer fun (on the street), it is more fun than base 911, corvette, and some 6 figure super cars I have owned or driven. It is not as comfortable however.

Elise is also a very good choice. Vipers are great. Boxters/cayman, bmws etc are nicer more comfy but not as much fun. The only porsxhe that will be as raw/fun on steet is gt3 or cayman gt4.

ohai

Post by ohai » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:03 am

S2000 is nice car, but is questionable value considering you can get a same year Porsche Boxster and maybe Cayman for comparable prices. I'd go with the Porsche unless there is something very particular that you like about this S2000 car. Perhaps S2000 will retain value for longer given that they are not produced any more. However, I don't think a $15k Porsche has too far to depreciate either.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:09 am

Doom&Gloom wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:18 pm
stoptothink wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:56 pm
Doom&Gloom wrote:
Porsche--various
Nissan--GTR or 370Z

yee haa!!!!!!!!
Really?
EnjoyIt wrote:

Manual transmission

>$50k or less--check (depreciation? who knows???)
>Not extremely difficult to do basic maintenance--check
>Manual transmission--check
>10 years or old or more--check
>more powerful than a Miata--check

???
Have you driven one? OP mentions an S2000 and an Elise, a 370z is more like an underpowered pony car than a sports car. If that is the type of vehicle they are looking for, a mustang or camaro would be a lot more "fun" option and also meet all the criteria.

OldBallCoach

Post by OldBallCoach » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:50 am

I think that any newer Mustang GT rag top with a 5.0L engine with a stick would get the job done. Reliable, quick, fun to drive and you dont have to beg to get it repaired. When I have my next mid mid mid mid life crisis I think that's the car I am going with.

johncunningham

Post by johncunningham » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:09 am

I recently picked up a 2011 M3 convertible. It had been a summer only toy for the first buyer. It will remain that way for me.

400 horses
high revving 8000+ redline Non turbo v8 that makes an amazing noise...
real hard top convertible
real backseats
6 speed manual (admittedly about 80% of these M3 came with an excellent automatic)

The depreciation has flattened, and I think there are some pristine one owner cars out there if you are patient and willing to shop around.
I looked at few cars before I jumped on mine. 7,600 original miles. Yearly service at dealer... $31,000 Worth every penny.
I'm hoping to hold it until I'm tired of it, put a couple thousand miles on it a year, and move on to something else that catches my fancy.
Looking is very fun. get out there and drive some cars. After some seat time, you will figure out what you really want.

John

Teague

Post by Teague » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:10 am

Cycle wrote:
I personally don't want to be on the highway near human operated vehicles, and neither will anyone else. At some point if a vehicle doesn't have certain safety features, they won't be allowed on the roads.
If things do go that way, it may take quite a while. Currently on the roads there is a mix of cars (including vintage Model A's and the like), trucks, bicycles, motorcycles, buses, farm equipment, snowplows, wide and other permit loads, and the occasional horse and buggy. To ban all that in favor of a single standardized technology would be neither easy nor quick.
Semper Augustus

scottgekko

Post by scottgekko » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:41 pm

Buy an older (pre 1970) vehicle. All mechanical (no computers) and appreciation in value is much more solid than a 10 year old Honda. For $50k you could easily find a late 60's restored convertible Vette.

H-Town

Post by H-Town » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:12 pm

Cycle wrote:

You take the fun out of driving. What you gonna say if I told you we'd turn all bicycles into electronic self-driving wheelchair?

You might not understand but there's a joy in driving a fun car. As there is a joy in riding a mountain bike in Colorado range. I enjoy both.

chrisjul

Post by chrisjul » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:28 pm

New Miata....then upgrade suspension, air intake, exhaust, tires, etc. I had dealer do all my upgrades. Awesome car now. Will last forever. Miata is THE most raced car....you can drive it to the track or just enjoy spirited street driving.

Incredibly reliable. FUN CAR

ohai

Post by ohai » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:51 pm

Ok. I will throw another one out there for your consideration - 2008/2009 Audi R8 (V8 model). These will be more like $60k, but you'll be in something that is almost a super car and is a real modern classic.

Apparently, this car is quite reliable. You just have to clean the cylinder heads once in a while, as the direct injection causes some residue to build up there. The engine is a normal naturally aspirated V8 used in other Audi cars, not some weird exotic engine.

https://www.truecar.com/used-cars-for-s ... 9-audi-r8/

Quickfoot

Post by Quickfoot » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:55 pm

EnjoyIt wrote:

Manual transmission

50K is a good budget but good luck avoiding depreciation. If you were able to find a vehicle that guaranteed would not depreciate then it wouldn't be worth it to drive it. Cars that are driven / used are inherently depreciating assets. You can get a 3 year old BMW 535 with < 40K miles for ~ 30K and a 550 for ~ 35K, these cars are 70 - 85K new. You also could get a 3-4 year old M4 that'll hit 60 in 4 seconds for about 40K.

A fun car is often worth it to buy but don't try to convince yourself it is an investment (you are likely to over spend if you do), it isn't, it is simply a perk of life that is worth the financial expense.

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:31 pm

If you want more power than an Elise, look at an Exige S. They’ve been going up in value consistently over the last few years and are more rare than an Elise (better for resale).

If you want a LOT more power but along the same lines, you could look into a Noble- quite rare but really cool cars.

Other suggestion: 996 Turbo. If you can get over the runny egg headlights and lackluster interior, they are fantastic cars (don’t have the IMS issues of regular 911s from the generation). Clean examples are going up, but you should be able to find one for around $50k.

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:33 pm

Quickfoot wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:55 pm
EnjoyIt wrote:

Manual transmission

50K is a good budget but good luck avoiding depreciation. If you were able to find a vehicle that guaranteed would not depreciate then it wouldn't be worth it to drive it. Cars that are driven / used are inherently depreciating assets. You can get a 3 year old BMW 535 with < 40K miles for ~ 30K and a 550 for ~ 35K, these cars are 70 - 85K new. You also could get a 3-4 year old M4 that'll hit 60 in 4 seconds for about 40K.

A fun car is often worth it to buy but don't try to convince yourself it is an investment (you are likely to over spend if you do), it isn't, it is simply a perk of life that is worth the financial expense.

Not as hard as you would think when you get into more exotic/speciality cars and cars over 10 years old. Obviously quite rare for a daily driver.

The 5 series and other vehicles in the midsize luxury class are the absolute kings of depreciation.

gmc4h232

Post by gmc4h232 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:39 pm

How about an ostrich?

hicabob

Post by hicabob » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:45 pm

This is a good auction website for sporty vehicles that might appreciate and has good commentary on the various rides
https://bringatrailer.com/

GT99

Post by GT99 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:17 pm

Fun topic. If I were you, I'd be targeting ~5 year old Cayman S or Boxster S. I've been lucky enough to spend a lot of time in Porsches. If your priority is pure driving experience, then I would take a Cayman S or Boxster S over a base 911 if I'm comparing within the same model year (i.e. 2014 Cayman S vs 2014 911 Coupe). Finding a 911 Carrera S or higher that fits your criteria will be tough, and frankly I would choose a 981 Cayman S/Boxster S over the 997 Gen 2 911 Carrera S, which is pretty much what you'd be comparing (if you could find a 997.2 in that price range - it would be tough - 2009 was the first year of the 997.2).

Porsche in general is normally near the top of most quality ratings - they'll be hard to beat in that regard in this space.

My next choices would be an M3 or Audi RS3/4/5. Yes, I prefer German vehicles - they just generally drive the way I want a car to drive.

Yooper16

Post by Yooper16 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:30 pm

Look for a 1960s- 1970s VW bus. You will easily spend 40-150K for a restored version.

Loads of fun to drive, easily maintained and you will probably get more comments than most any other car mentioned in this thread.

We had a 73 in the early to mid 80s. Didn't think far enough into the future. :oops:

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:40 pm

Yooper16 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:30 pm
Look for a 1960s- 1970s VW bus. You will easily spend 40-150K for a restored version.

Loads of fun to drive, easily maintained and you will probably get more comments than most any other car mentioned in this thread.

I had a 73 in the early to mid 80s. Didn't think far enough into the future. :oops:
We had something like a '67 VW bus.

It was like driving a billboard into the wind (or a billboard being blown sideways in the wind), etc.

It was a fun car (van) to HAVE, but often not "fun to drive"

But yes, it match the hippie lifestyle.
But WE were right up front, and would have been the first things smashed after any windshield bugs, so I wouldn't drive one nowadays...

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

dknightd

Post by dknightd » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:04 pm

ssquared87 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:33 am
An E46 M3 May be a good option. They’ve started rising in value and are excellent to drive.
I agree with this suggestion. Partially because I bought an E46 330 convertible as my "fun" car.
My fun car money could not buy the M3 ;(
I was not looking to buy a BMW. I was looking to buy a convertible. I bought this one 7 years ago when it was a 10 year old car. I still like it. There are active forums so DIY is easy enough for most things. Basically all I've done with mine is replace ageing plastic and rubber parts. The rest has been solid. I just uncovered it yesterday. Looking forward to the next sunny day :)
I consider it a gentleman's sporty car. Not as toss-able as S2000 or miata. But well balanced and more confortable.
Your original thoughts on S2000 and Elise are also good ones. But at the time they were also stretching my fun car budget.

The fun might be shopping. I drove a few before I happened to run across this BMW.

khangaroo

Post by khangaroo » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:17 pm

I have an AP2 S2000. If you want a fun car, this will meet that criteria and then some. Nothing beats shifting in VTEC at 8k RPM.

The community is also amazing and the Oregon group does summer drive trips (1 per month) which I’ve been a part since I bought it in 2014. I guess it also depends on what you want to do with your car. If you’re looking to go dragging then pick another car because the S2K was born to hit corners not necessarily hit top speed.

It’s a fantastic car to do the weekend trip with. Enough storage to fit a few bags and some sleeping gear.

With your $50k budget, I would splurge and get the CR version.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:24 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:40 pm
Yooper16 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:30 pm

I had a 73 in the early to mid 80s. Didn't think far enough into the future. :oops:
We had something like a '67 VW bus.

It was like driving a billboard into the wind (or a billboard being blown sideways in the wind), etc.

It was a fun car (van) to HAVE, but often not "fun to drive"

But yes, it match the hippie lifestyle.
But WE were right up front, and would have been the first things smashed after any windshield bugs, so I wouldn't drive one nowadays...

RM
My mother had a series of them (at least 3) during my childhood, it was about the only thing she could afford during the period ( mid 80's to mid 90's) that could seat 5 children. My grandfather lived at the top of a pretty steep hill; no joke, we would park at the bottom and walk up because my mother was always scared it wouldn't make it.

jasonrecite25

Post by jasonrecite25 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:37 pm

I'd second the recommendation for the M3. Go for a 2011-2013 coupe or convertible. I personally am not a fan of the convertible, but to each his own. You'll be hard pressed to find a better sounding V8 with the top down, you have to hear it in person.

---420 HP V8 with a 8,400RPM redline, more than enough for street driving and can also handle track days.
---Solid reliability and easy to maintain. One of the most reliable vehicles BMW has produced. Main issues are the AC Condenser which is replaceable and the Throttle Actuators, which are replaceable. Folks talk about rod bearings and while we don't need to debate that here, you can get them replaced for $2k and be worry free.
---Budget $35-$40k for a low miles, well sorted example.
---Body style ages well.
---Per earlier comment, need to drive one. That engine is one of a kind and is likely the last V8 BMW will put in the M3. It is very much a bespoke BMW engine that has been use as the base engine for tons of professional race cars.
---Plenty of manuals, but of course harder to find than autos.
---Go for a competition package coupe.
---Like the prior M3 generation, prices for "highly desired" M3s will stay flat in the near term then will slowly appreciate. They won't appreciate like highly desired Porches, but M3s have a huge following and highly desired models always command high prices (highly desired = low miles, manual, maintenance history, limited/tasteful modifications, competition package).
--If you want to spend more than $35-$40k you can get the "Lime Rock" edition or a "Frozen" editions, which are the unique matte paint jobs. Any of those will be very very desirable in the future and appreciate faster than the standard models.

The main issue I see with older "fun cars" is they tend to be grossly over-modded, which means finding a good one takes forever and maintenance is always questionable. The M3 isn't too old yet and there is enough inventory where you can likely find a good one after a few months of searching.

jeffG

Post by jeffG » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:23 pm

If depreciation is important a Corvette C5 convertible is pretty much at its bottom. 15-20K will buy you a low mileage (under 40 and possibly under 25k) 6 speed, as new car. There comfortable and quick and easy to maintain. Ive had my 1999 roadster for a couple years. It had 38,000 miles when I bought it for 15K. Car is immaculate and probably on the appreciation side of the curve.

Nissanzx1

Post by Nissanzx1 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:59 pm

Most used $50K sports cars will depreciate.

NSX won’t
Air Cooled 911 won’t, water-cooled Porsche will depreciate.
Older Ferrari won’t BUT Will cost you considerable money in maintaining the vehicle
Turbo Carerra water cooled (the exception to above rule)

I’d personally cut your budget to $20K and get a really nice Boxster S or S2000. Hard to beat either of these for smile factor...