Pickup Truck Bed Cover Recommendations

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
grettman

Pickup Truck Bed Cover Recommendations

Post by grettman »

I have a 2009 Tacoma and need to replace my tonneau cover. I don’t really care if it is hard or soft—at least I don’t think I care. I want water tight and durable. I have a soft right now but after 10 yrs...it has died. Thoughts?
longleaf

Re: Pickup Truck Bed Cover Recommendations

Post by longleaf »

I’m a fan of Leer campershells. They should have covers as well.
Frugality, indexing, time.
BobTheTerp

Post by BobTheTerp »

I bought this cover from Gator for my 2005 Chevy Colorado. It was one of the easiest installations for anything I have done for the truck. Great quality and keeps everything in the bed dry. Especially, my golf clubs!!!!

https://realtruck.com/p/gator-sfx-tri-f ... ZIQAvD_BwE
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby »

Deleted
Last edited by letsgobobby on Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
bowood

Post by bowood »

Love the roll-n-lock on my tacoma 2010. Great cover.
Yooper

Post by Yooper »

Got a Truxedo (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0026 ... UTF8&psc=1) three years ago and it's held up fine. No water in the bed when it's fastened. Can carry a heavy snowload without damage.
MJD

Post by MJD »

I have the Extang Solid Fold 2.0. It's been completely waterproof (winter snow, car washes, torrential rain), it's pretty light (I can take it on/off myself), quite sturdy, locks in tight, and is super easy to open if you need to put something in the truck bed.

From a security standpoint, if someone had a crowbar, they could probably rip it off in a few minutes. However, if someone wants your stuff that bad, they'll find a way and make a heck of a racket doing it.

I paid around 900 bucks for mine...I'd buy it again, no question.
batpot

Post by batpot »

I have the bakflip, and have been pretty underwhelmed by it.
I like that it folds up completely out of the way, and gives you full access to you bed, less 2 retention rods, that barely take any space.
It does however block the back window completely when fully opened but this is a minor annoyance.

It's definitely not fully waterproof.
And I have had an issue with one of the furthest rear brackets popping off.
vested1

Post by vested1 »

I recently bought a 2012 Toyota Tacoma double cab long bed that has a Snuglid tonneau cover from SnugTop installed (2 keyed locks). It is painted to match and keeps the bed completely dry. I think that the previous owner paid $1,164 for it based on handwritten documentation I received but internet searches on various forums show a range from around $950 to $1,400, based on bed size and the profit margin of the installer. The tonneau cover has a lip that seals tightly over the perimeter of the rails of the bed. There are gas filled lift supports that keep the cover opened when needed without placing a temporary brace or needing to hold it open by hand.

Everywhere I searched identified SnugTop as being the one with the highest quality. I traded in a 19 year old GMC Sierra with an ARE camper shell that eventually developed significant leaking from the roof rack that I had professionally installed in order to haul our kayaks, and also from a couple of the windows in recent years.
LivinGood

Post by LivinGood »

I second the Truxedo. Put one on my 2004 Tundra about 3 years ago. Absolutely no issues. 300$ with a 5 year warranty. Bone dry and super easy to install.
aerosurfer

Post by aerosurfer »

I have had the same Truxedo soft cover on my 2003 F150 truck for 10 years. It’s reaching the end of its useful life, but still functions great and has held up well
researcher

Post by researcher »

letsgobobby wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:41 pm I've always wondered about these soft covers. What stops someone with a knife from just cutting them open to steal the goodies inside? Then I've lost not only my camping gear, but the few hundred bucks I spent on the cover, too.
No different than all of the Jeeps and convertibles on the road.

And no different than someone with a rock who wants into any car.
billyo44

Post by billyo44 »

https://undercoverinfo.com/
I've had a one-piece Undercover for my F-150 for years and would buy another.
Independence = Financial assets working for you versus you working for them. | "Own an Index Fund, Get a Life Outside of Finance, and Relax"...John C. Bogle
Snikda

Post by Snikda »

billyo44 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:55 pm https://undercoverinfo.com/
I've had a one-piece Undercover for my F-150 for years and would buy another.
+1... i have had an undercover for my 2007 Tundra for the past 8.5 years and it has been perfect for us. i will definitely be buying another one for the next truck i purchase.
Joylush

Post by Joylush »

Diamondback truck covers are awesome! They offer a 10% military discount as well.