Should I regularly replace the water filter in the fridge?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
miamivice

Should I regularly replace the water filter in the fridge?

Post by miamivice » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:12 am

Our fridge has a little notice that pops up on the screen reminding us to change the filter every 6 months.

My estimate is we might run 50 gallons of water through the fridge in a 6 month period. A filter should be good for many thousands of gallons and they shouldn't expire in 6 months time. I am thinking that it's simply a revenue generator for the refrigerator manufacturer rather than something that is actually needed.

What do you do?

michaeljc70

Re: Should I regularly replace the water filter in the fridge?

Post by michaeljc70 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:35 am

I replace it around every 6 months. We use a lot of ice and I am pretty sure that goes through the filter on my fridge. I also buy a third party filter in a 3 pack on Amazon which costs way less than the fridge manufacturer ones do. My fridge has the option to not use the filter at all (there is a bypass) which I should probably do since we have good water where I live.

I would guess that if you use very little water from the fridge, there is no need to replace it frequently. I cannot imagine the filter goes bad just due to time.

RadAudit
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'til morning

Post by RadAudit » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:39 am

IIRC, the manufacturer's recommendation is to replace the water filter in our fridge every 200 gals or so - not that I measure it. The fridge has a warning light that acts as a reminder.
FI is the best revenge. LBYM. Invest the rest. Stay the course. - PS: The cavalry isn't coming, kids. You are on your own.

mrc

Post by mrc » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:39 am

I have a whole house water filter (sediment X2, deacidifier, and iron via softening). I replaced the filter on a new fridge after about 2 years, and haven't since. I just reset the minder whenever it trips. The cartridges are quite expensive.
Macs are for those who don’t want to know why their computer works | Linux is for those who do | DOS is for those who want to know why their computer doesn’t work | Windows is for those who don’t

LawEgr1

Post by LawEgr1 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:39 am

In short, replace when you feel the water is not as satisfactory. I would reset the timer. (Plus these are expensive!)

You are correct - These are timer based systems. It's as good of a preventive measure for this type of application.

Other systems that could be embedded within the control board are:

-measurement of differential pressure -> this is expensive and requires additional sensors and logic, increasing cost
-online measurement of minerals, ions, etc. through a microanalyzer in the lines -> this is expensive and requires additional sensors and logic, increasing cost

For the manufacturer, the timer based system is very effective. But, you've hit on one problem, not all users consume the same amount of volume of water and each water system (locally) is different. So what do you do?

Is the water running slowly?
Does it taste equal to the tap, or not as good as original?
Does it sound like the pump is running hard?

Usually these filters are rated for a 300 gal or so volumetric flow, but again that is under certain conditions. I swap mine out every 12-18 months, depending on when I feel like it after 12 months. YMMV

billyo44

Post by billyo44 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:53 am

Our water is purified with a reverse osmosis system :happy ...refrigerator filter not used (or necessary).
Independence = Financial assets working for you versus you working for them. | "Own an Index Fund, Get a Life Outside of Finance, and Relax"...John C. Bogle

TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:55 am

Timer based, so it is useless.

WillRetire

Post by WillRetire » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:00 am

We replace ours every 6-8 months mainly out of concern for what might be accumulating or growing inside the filter.

Ron

Post by Ron » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:11 am

Our last order was $21 via Amazon, or $3.50/month, based upon a 6-month replacement. If that's too much, just put the bypass plug in the filter unit and don't worry about it.

- Ron

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:18 am

I replace mine every 6 months using aftermarket filters purchased in multiples so that the cost per month comes out to be about a dollar.

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:26 am

billyo44 wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:53 am
Our water is purified with a reverse osmosis system :happy ...refrigerator filter not used (or necessary).
Mine is purified by the city, which does daily, maybe even hourly monitoring.

I've never replaced the refrigerator filter.

Unicorn1

Post by Unicorn1 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:33 am

A few months ago, my wife and I went out for dinner. When we returned, the kitchen was flooded and the water was leaking from the in-grill water filter of our fridge. I shut off the supply line to the fridge and removed the water filter. The "head" of the filter had broken off and was stuck in the filter housing. I used some very long needle nose pliers to attempt to remove the broken filter piece from the housing, to no avail. I had to order a new water filter housing unit and a new water filter, which easily solved the problem. My plumber tells me that if you buy the cheap filters on Amazon, make sure to change them every year or so. And if you buy the high quality, more expensive manufacturer recommended filters, change them every 2 years or so. He guessed that the reason for our filter failure was bc we were using cheap filters AND had not changed them in about 2 years. Lesson learned.

rfontham

Post by rfontham » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:55 am

I usually reset mine the first notice and change it the second or third notice. We use very little ice and a few glasses of water a day. I think the notice comes on every 6 months after the filter is changed or 6 months after the notice is reset.

dknightd

Post by dknightd » Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:04 pm

miamivice wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:12 am

What do you do?
I replace mine when the flow reduces. That is about the time the alert comes up.

tenkuky

Post by tenkuky » Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:05 pm

I’ve been just resetting the light but I see the point, thanks to this thread.
Silly question: how do I actually change the filter?
I don’t have a manual for this fridge, came with the house.
Ditto for which filters to buy from Amazon.
Thanks!

UALflyer

Post by UALflyer » Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:08 pm

michaeljc70 wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:35 am
I also buy a third party filter in a 3 pack on Amazon which costs way less than the fridge manufacturer ones do.
Kenkat wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:18 am
I replace mine every 6 months using aftermarket filters purchased in multiples so that the cost per month comes out to be about a dollar.
Ron wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:11 am
Our last order was $21 via Amazon, or $3.50/month, based upon a 6-month replacement.
Be very careful with third party filters: https://www.consumerreports.org/refrige ... rigerator/

The filters should comply with NSF/ANSI 42, 53 and 401. A ton of third party filters do not (or falsely claim that they do).

Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe » Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:19 pm

miamivice wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:12 am
Our fridge has a little notice that pops up on the screen reminding us to change the filter every 6 months.

My estimate is we might run 50 gallons of water through the fridge in a 6 month period. A filter should be good for many thousands of gallons and they shouldn't expire in 6 months time. I am thinking that it's simply a revenue generator for the refrigerator manufacturer rather than something that is actually needed.

What do you do?
I have not replaced the water filter in six years. No need.

Teague

Post by Teague » Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:36 pm

Copying the language from that pop-up notice, email the manufacturer stating it is time for them to replace your refrigerator.

My coffee maker has a similar notice. Since I feed it bottled (filtered) water, I ignore the notice.
Semper Augustus

stan1

Post by stan1 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:41 pm

My opinion is that these notices are intended to promote the sale of filters. I replace them every 2 or 3 years not more frequently. You may prefer to replace them more often if you feel replacing the filter improves the taste of the water.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:03 pm

tenkuky wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:05 pm
I’ve been just resetting the light but I see the point, thanks to this thread.
Silly question: how do I actually change the filter?
I don’t have a manual for this fridge, came with the house.
Ditto for which filters to buy from Amazon.
Thanks!
Put your model number into Google with the word "manual" after it and you will likely find it. As to what filters to buy, they would be model dependent.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

ncbill

Post by ncbill » Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:47 pm

All proprietary filters are too expensive.

Use a whole-house carbon filter (those are big...like the size of a commercial fire extinguisher) for taste issues with municipal water with a sediment filter before the carbon filter.

Yooper16

Post by Yooper16 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:19 pm

We change ours when it starts running slow and/or when the taste of the water suggests it needs to be. Probably every 2-3 months. At present we use a refillable water tank that sits inside the fridge, as our does not have an intergrated system. Fridge came with the house when purchased.

The tank is approx. 2 gallons and we refill 3 or more times per day. I suppose that if you are not a water drinker and instead drink other items, it wouldn't be noticeable, but filtered water does taste better than non filtered. It is water with each meal and multiple drinks throughout the day.

Put down your pop---- your kidneys will thank you.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:20 pm

WillRetire wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:00 am
We replace ours every 6-8 months mainly out of concern for what might be accumulating or growing inside the filter.
Why are you concerned with some kind of growth in the filter but not the rest of the pipeline?

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:30 am

For infrequent water/ice users, I would probably recommend every 12-24 months. We're very heavy filtered water users--probably at least 4-5 gallons/day, and the 6-month timer actually works out pretty well for us. This is WAY over the recommended filtration volume for the filter, but seems to coincide with when it stops performing optimally. Lately I've been buying Amazon Basics filters, and they seem to work just as well as OEM, at a fraction of the cost.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:47 am

barnaclebob wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:20 pm
WillRetire wrote:
Why are you concerned with some kind of growth in the filter but not the rest of the pipeline?
This ^^^
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:25 am

Removed the filter entirely...heavy use of bottled water.
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

jminv

Post by jminv » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:56 am

You should replace at some point after the recommended quantity of water has passed through it. Actually time is more or less irrelevant. I usually do manufacturers recommendation +25%.

You should also replace it before the associated pressure drop prevents your ice maker from working.

If you buy a house with a fridge with filter included, change it. You should assume that the previous owners just reset the filter instead of changing it.
Last edited by jminv on Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:57 am

If your tap water tastes good, then there is zero reason to use a filter in your refrigerator, unless it won't operate without one.

tenkuky

Post by tenkuky » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:58 am

tennisplyr wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:25 am
Curious why. Doesn't that work out more expensive in the long run?
https://www.foodandwaterwatch.org/about ... tled-water

pdavi21

Post by pdavi21 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:11 am

Get a water test. You will never have to buy a filter again.

Also, filters contain biocides to prevent bacteria growth in the filter.

Also, fride water/ice tends to get moldy. Try the sink.
"We spend a great deal of time studying history, which, let's face it, is mostly the history of stupidity." -Stephen Hawking

chevca

Post by chevca » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:18 am

We're on a well, so the filter makes a noticeable difference in our house and we can tell by taste when it's time to change it. About every 4 months for us. We are grateful for ours.

If one is on city water and it tastes good from the tap, I could see the filter being pretty much unnecessary. Or, asking this question to people all over the country or world is only going to get answers useful to where each person lives. :happy

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:23 am

chevca wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:18 am
We're on a well, so the filter makes a noticeable difference in our house and we can tell by taste when it's time to change it. About every 4 months for us. We are grateful for ours.

If one is on city water and it tastes good from the tap, I could see the filter being pretty much unnecessary. Or, asking this question to people all over the country or world is only going to get answers useful to where each person lives. :happy
We're on a well too. We have a whole house filter. Therefore, there is zero reason to have a filter on the fridge.

chevca

Post by chevca » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:27 am

RickBoglehead wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:23 am
chevca wrote:

We're on a well too. We have a whole house filter. Therefore, there is zero reason to have a filter on the fridge.
So, for purposes of the thread, how often do you change that? :happy

Slacker

Post by Slacker » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:30 am

RickBoglehead wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:57 am
If your tap water tastes good, then there is zero reason to use a filter in your refrigerator, unless it won't operate without one.
You can't taste stuff such as PFOA and PFOS that may be in your drinking water from the tap. An activated carbon filter (such as refrigerator filters have) can remove these types of organic molecules.

https://www.epa.gov/ground-water-and-dr ... a-and-pfos
https://www.popsci.com/epa-drinking-wat ... udy#page-3

There are many things that you can't "taste" in water that aren't good for you.

WillRetire

Post by WillRetire » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:33 am

barnaclebob wrote:
WillRetire wrote:
Who says I'm not? The topic is whether/when to replace fridge filters.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:34 am

chevca wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:27 am
RickBoglehead wrote:
The answer should be "once". That is, replacing the filter with the bypass module--essentially a dummy filter.

chevca

Post by chevca » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:36 am

lazydavid wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:34 am
chevca wrote:
RickBoglehead wrote:
The answer should be "once". That is, replacing the filter with the bypass module--essentially a dummy filter.
Uh, the whole house filter is what I was asking about. :wink:

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:39 am

chevca wrote:
RickBoglehead wrote:
chevca wrote:

Every year or so. If I waited for reduced flow, it would go a lot longer. Of course usage matters, and we're now empty nesters. It's there mostly to remove iron.

mpnret

Post by mpnret » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:26 am

RickBoglehead wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:47 am
barnaclebob wrote:
WillRetire wrote:
This ^^^
Pipes are generally smooth inside and will only trap some biofilm which is easily flushed out when the water is turned on. Filters on the other hand trap contaminants and promote growth when not changed regularly. Also if your water source is chlorinated an activated carbon filter will remove chlorine. Once chlorine is removed algae can grow in and around the filter.
I'm not sayin regularly changed filters are bad. Just sayin why someone should be more concerned with growth in the filter than in the pipes.

tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:24 am

tenkuky wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:58 am
tennisplyr wrote:

DW is just addicted to store-bought waters :oops:
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:49 am

I use that "little bypass plug thingy". No need for a water filter where I live.
Funding secured

investor4life

Post by investor4life » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:02 pm

DanMahowny wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:49 am
I use that "little bypass plug thingy". No need for a water filter where I live.
Do all (newer) fridges come with the bypass plug? Our previous LG had one. The new Whirlpool doesn’t. The manual makes no mention of one either.

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:04 am

tennisplyr wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:24 am
tenkuky wrote:
tennisplyr wrote:

Doesn't the plastic from the bottles leach into the water?

tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:23 am

unclescrooge wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:04 am
tennisplyr wrote:
tenkuky wrote:
tennisplyr wrote:

Life isn't that simple my friend

elainet7

Post by elainet7 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:29 am

spoke to a company that sells them-replace light goes off every 6 months no matter what
she said wait till it tastes different
similar to oil change every 3k miles

JoMoney

Post by JoMoney » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:30 am

Whether or not you need filter is debatable to begin with. Despite some stark exceptions most places in the U.S. have good safe tap water that is completely safe from the tap. Filters are sold advertising how much stuff is removed, but filtering water removes minerals many are deficient in like calcium and magnesium.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:47 pm

tennisplyr wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:23 am
unclescrooge wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:04 am
tennisplyr wrote:
tenkuky wrote:
tennisplyr wrote:

Life isn't that simple my friend
Neither is science. :mrgreen:
https://www.npr.org/2011/03/02/13419620 ... -chemicals

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:16 pm

JoMoney wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:30 am
Whether or not you need filter is debatable to begin with. Despite some stark exceptions most places in the U.S. have good safe tap water that is completely safe from the tap. Filters are sold advertising how much stuff is removed, but filtering water removes minerals many are deficient in like calcium and magnesium.
I drink tap water. Only the Keurig machine uses filtered watered.

Quickfoot

Post by Quickfoot » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:52 pm

Teague wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:36 pm
Copying the language from that pop-up notice, email the manufacturer stating it is time for them to replace your refrigerator.

My coffee maker has a similar notice. Since I feed it bottled (filtered) water, I ignore the notice.
The filter in the coffee maker in part removes minerals that are also present in bottled water and can cause buildup. To avoid that you'd have to use distilled water which doesn't taste good and can cause damage because of the absence of minerals. Replacing the filter on a decent schedule will extend the life of your appliances and prevent scale.

Yooper16

Post by Yooper16 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:22 pm

unclescrooge wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:16 pm
JoMoney wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:30 am
I drink tap water. Only the Keurig machine uses filtered watered.

Coffee is where we can really tell the difference between using filtered and using tap water. Much, much better taste when using filtered. Don't know if it is possible (don't have a Keurig)-- can you brew a cup without the filter installed? If so, have you tried and any difference in taste?