[On-going Scams - Post them here]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
littlebird

Re: [On-going Scams - Post them here]

Post by littlebird »

My senior community has recently been subjected to a telephone scammer pretending to be calling from Amazon about a problem order for $77+. It ends with “If you didn’t place this order, call Amazon at 833xxxxxxxx immediately.”. I don’t know what info they ask for if you call back, but given the number of people placing orders at Amazon, especially during this pandemic time, this could be problem, especially for seniors. After I received my call, two of my neighbors called me expressing uncertainty after having received similar calls. I reported this call to both Amazon and the Do Not Call registry, which used to be monitored by my state’s AG, although I don’t know if it still is.
ResearchMed

Re: Not investment related - scammers took $10k

Post by ResearchMed »

ajm1489 wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:19 am [Thread merged into here, see below (next page). --admin LadyGeek]

<snip>

He got a call Saturday morning saying they are calling from Department of Homeland Security. They asked him to google Department of Homeland security number to ensure him that it was not a scam and the number from which they called matched with DHS Washington number.

<snip>
[emphasis added]

This is an unfortunate twist to the regular (and one of the "correct" things to do IF one receives a call) suggestion to hang up, and call back the caller/company, but at a phone number that *you* verify from the company/agency own website, etc.

Except in *this* case, the scammers seem to have spoofed/faked the "calling number" to match what would indeed appear to be the proper number.
The "missed step" was not calling back by originating a *new* call, and rather, just "trusting" that the calling number was indeed accurate.

Of course, using "gift cards" is another clear signal that it's not authentic but they prey upon those who are less likely to understand this. :annoyed

Sorry that this happened!
My comment above isn't helpful for your brother-in-law now, unfortunately, but it does offer yet another way for all of us to try to warn others/those we care about, especially those who may be vulnerable to such an approach.
I suppose there will always be another variation the scammers think up to make such calls seem "really" legitimate.

Thank you for letting us know about this new twist.
(Or, it's new to me; I hadn't previously heard about the "check the number I'm calling from right now" tactic.)

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
J G Bankerton

Post by J G Bankerton »

ajm1489 wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:19 am
So in total the scammers took $10,000 in Walmart and Target gift cards. After researching online I got to know exact same scam has happened before, below two links.
I assume they were Visa gift cards. I was surprised to find that one could buy up to $10,000 in gift cards per day. I went on line and Wal Mart would sell me 20 $200 Visa gift cards.
How did he pay for the cards? It was smart of the scammers to keep single transactions under $10,000.
Visa gift cards can only be used in the US of A isn't there a way to invalidate the cards? They can't be used to get cash so it will take time to to buy stuff; I assume these were electronic cards that can only be used for online or phone purchases.
ajm1489

Post by ajm1489 »

J G Bankerton wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:59 pm
So in total the scammers took $10,000 in Walmart and Target gift cards. After researching online I got to know exact same scam has happened before, below two links.
I assume they were Visa gift cards. I was surprised to find that one could buy up to $10,000 in gift cards per day. I went on line and Wal Mart would sell me 20 $200 Visa gift cards.
How did he pay for the cards? It was smart of the scammers to keep single transactions under $10,000.
Visa gift cards can only be used in the US of A isn't there a way to invalidate the cards? They can't be used to get cash so it will take time to to buy stuff; I assume these were electronic cards that can only be used for online or phone purchases.
It was over various purchases over two days and it added up to $10k. At one point when he was buying gift cards worth $2500, cashier at walmart asked him, if anyone is forcing him to buy them. Since the scammers were on the phone with him pretending to be monitoring him, he said NO.
J G Bankerton

Post by J G Bankerton »

ajm1489 wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:48 pm
J G Bankerton wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:59 pm
It was over various purchases over two days and it added up to $10k. At one point when he was buying gift cards worth $2500, cashier at walmart asked him, if anyone is forcing him to buy them. Since the scammers were on the phone with him pretending to be monitoring him, he said NO.
That is so sad. What is sadder is this gives the scammers a reason to continue. They know who to target.
WoodSpinner

Post by WoodSpinner »

Well my wife and I both got taken recently for $99 each in this SCAM.

FB add for a Brand Clearance Sale on Keen shoes. Prices were excellent (sigh, too good to be true). Order payment only via PayPall (2nd clue). We received a Shipment info the next day, thought great -- but no shoes arrived. 3 weeks later we use the tracking info and it goes to a USPS delivery that occurred on the SAME DAY as the order! The tracking info used a valid USPS tracking site (no clue how they hacked this!).

For more info see https://www.facebook.com/KEEN/posts/10158095282676084

Trying to protest through PayPal and my Credit Card. Unfortunately my wife ordered using a Debit Card so we can only protest via PayPal.

Clever SCAM, we got hit.

WoodSpinner
mptfan

Post by mptfan »

WoodSpinner wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:14 pm Trying to protest through PayPal and my Credit Card. Unfortunately my wife ordered using a Debit Card so we can only protest via PayPal.
Reason number 17 why I do not use debit cards... or PayPal.
J G Bankerton

Post by J G Bankerton »

WoodSpinner wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:14 pm Well my wife and I both got taken recently for $99 each in this SCAM.
FB add for a Brand Clearance Sale on Keen shoes. Prices were excellent (sigh, too good to be true).
You better keep an eye on your accounts. It seems Keen shoes are a popular hook for harvesting personal information on Facebook.

This is from August 2019.
New phishing scam goes unchecked by Facebook
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

mptfan wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:24 pm
WoodSpinner wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:14 pm Trying to protest through PayPal and my Credit Card. Unfortunately my wife ordered using a Debit Card so we can only protest via PayPal.
A credit card with paypal seems safer than giving your CC info to a random small business. If the vendor doesn't deliver I have found paypal will refund. I expect the CC instead of a debit card adds some leverage.
Barsoom

Post by Barsoom »

littlebird wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:56 pm My senior community has recently been subjected to a telephone scammer pretending to be calling from Amazon about a problem order for $77+. It ends with “If you didn’t place this order, call Amazon at 833xxxxxxxx immediately.”. I don’t know what info they ask for if you call back, but given the number of people placing orders at Amazon, especially during this pandemic time, this could be problem, especially for seniors. After I received my call, two of my neighbors called me expressing uncertainty after having received similar calls. I reported this call to both Amazon and the Do Not Call registry, which used to be monitored by my state’s AG, although I don’t know if it still is.
I've been getting a variation of this.

I receive an email looking like an invoice from Microsoft for a recent purchase, e.g., a Microsoft Surface Pro 7 for $1,299. It says if I have a problem with the order to call 8xx-xxx-xxxx. No links, just a phone number.

I called Microsoft Customer Service (from their website, not the email) and verified that there was no such order number used in the email. They took down the phone number in the email and said their fraud team works to have those phone numbers shut down.

-B
J G Bankerton

Post by J G Bankerton »

Barsoom wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:20 pmtook down the phone number in the email and said their fraud team works to have those phone numbers shut down.
Remember when the public demanded free long distance? Well we have it, people can call from anywhere in the world and spoof a number. That number will trace back to a land that is far away and not worth the effort to track them down.

I do not answer my phone anymore, I use txt 99% of the time.
CycloRista

Post by CycloRista »

I got pelted by calls from "Apple Support" - all from (480) 279-XXXX (Phoenix, AZ) last week. They have stopped for the most part.

My guess is that some "up to no good" found a corporate audio conference device with default settings and hijacked the company PBX to direct international calls through US telephone infrastructure.
Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP »

Here is my transcript of the Bogus Amazon call - I've received several calls with the same message asking me to call 833-511 and the last 4 digits change. The last one had 0489 (0438 was the other call) as the last four digits. I tried to grab the call (and prank them for awhile), but I was too late. Calling back it was always busy.

"Dear Amazon customer: Your Amazon account has been locked. Due to recent activity in your Amazon account. Violation code #11190869020 on Tuesday, July 21, 2020 at 9:10 P.S.T.; your operating system windows, IP address: 103.68.92.33. Estimated location is Georgia, Atlanta. If you didn't do this then call us at 833-511-0489 or press 9 to connect to our Amazon technical team now. Thank you."
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I get occasional scam calls where they say "Press 1" to speak with a representative, "Press 2" to remove you from our calling list.

I never, ever answer the phone with a caller ID that I don't know. I screen the call with the answering machine.

This particular scam call was leaving a message. Just hang up. Period. Pressing 2 lets them know there's a live person on the other end and they'll try harder.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
WoodSpinner

Post by WoodSpinner »

J G Bankerton wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:06 pm
WoodSpinner wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:14 pm Well my wife and I both got taken recently for $99 each in this SCAM.
FB add for a Brand Clearance Sale on Keen shoes. Prices were excellent (sigh, too good to be true).
You better keep an eye on your accounts. It seems Keen shoes are a popular hook for harvesting personal information on Facebook.

Thanks for the link! Since this went via PayPal, I don’t think the CC or Debit Card were compromised.

Is that a reasonable assumption?

WoodSpinner
J G Bankerton

Post by J G Bankerton »

WoodSpinner wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:27 pm
J G Bankerton wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:06 pm

Thanks for the link! Since this went via PayPal, I don’t think the CC or Debit Card were compromised.

Is that a reasonable assumption?

WoodSpinner
Safer but not safe, these scammers are a slick bunch. The less information they have the better.
They have groups on the "dark web" that share scamming information and ideas like we share investing information and ideas.

If they use PayPal they must have a verified bank account. Odd they can't be traced that way. Of course they have proof of delivery, that is odd too. As I said they are a slick bunch.
Barsoom

Post by Barsoom »

I constantly get calls on my cellphone, in several languages, from people offering to buy a property that I own. The problem is, I don't own the properties they're calling about.

Recently, I started getting text messages offering the same thing. This time, they include an address (no state and different on each text), which confirms to me that it's a scam since I don't own any property other than my house.

-B
RetiredAL

Post by RetiredAL »

CycloRista wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:15 pm I got pelted by calls from "Apple Support" - all from (480) 279-XXXX (Phoenix, AZ) last week. They have stopped for the most part.

My guess is that some "up to no good" found a corporate audio conference device with default settings and hijacked the company PBX to direct international calls through US telephone infrastructure.
At my Dad's house a few month's ago, a pile of "Apple Support" calls came in with a caller-id number of XXX telling us to call YYY number. Later that same day, there was a bunch of "Microsoft Support" calls, from the same XXX number telling us to call the same YYY number. The XXX number (faked) was a listed Apple Support number.

These all went to Voice Mail and the VM system sends me e-mails of the messages as voice-to-text along with the call detail such a time and number. There was more than 20 in total.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

I received a scam email today that really tried to look legit, to the point that some vendor has to be compromised for them to have gotten all the information in the email. It used my vanity email address, which has no connection to my legal name, but my actual legal name in the subject line. More worrying, it had the actual last 4 digits of my cell phone number too. They might have tied the vanity email to my legal name by the domain registration, but I do not have my phone number on the domain registration. However, I use the combo of my legal name, vanity email address, and cell phone number for online purchases at several vendors, so now I wonder which one the scammers got it from.
rich126

Post by rich126 »

I had a nice 6 weeks of working from home and realized how many scam calls are made to my phone. Usually I can't have a cell phone with me at work. Usually car warranties, some kind of refund or a call trying make you think you owed money. The safest thing is never answer the phone unless the number is in your contact list. If you do, maybe you were expecting a doctor to call, and it isn't that person either hang up or ask for their name and number.

No matter how important it sounds don't do it. And if you need to call the company they supposedly represent via a google search and not at the given number to verify. Also use google for what they are saying to find out if it is a likely scam.
Tom_T

Post by Tom_T »

Verizon FiOS customers now have access to Nomorobo at no cost. It will screen out a good number of garbage calls. What happens is that either the call will be completely blocked, or the phone will ring once and then be cut off. I don't answer the phone anyway if I don't recognize the number, but this helps cut down on the number of calls I ignore.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ Thanks for the reminder. I have Verizon FiOS and just signed up.

Nomorobo is also available for ComCast Xfinity, which my Mom has. She's elderly and it's getting harder for her to handle those calls. Knowing that Nomorobo is working in the background reduces my stress level considerably.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Barsoom

Post by Barsoom »

I just got an email called "ATM Card Payment" from Mr. Chris, the Group Managing Director of First Bank, saying "Attn: Beneficiary, Your ATM card of $5.5 million is ready for shipment. Urgently reconfirm your name, delivery address, and your direct phone number immediately. Contact payment director via email to..."

I'm going to put that money straight into my portfolio and make a killing! Oh boy, is this great!

-B
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Barsoom wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:02 pm I just got an email called "ATM Card Payment" from Mr. Chris, the Group Managing Director of First Bank, saying "Attn: Beneficiary, Your ATM card of $5.5 million is ready for shipment. Urgently reconfirm your name, delivery address, and your direct phone number immediately. Contact payment director via email to..."

I'm going to put that money straight into my portfolio and make a killing! Oh boy, is this great!

-B
Put it all in Tesla stock.

Double win!! :D
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

For cellphone scam calls, T-Mobile has a free T-Mobile® Scam Shield app. I just installed it.

I don't know why they didn't do this before, but the app will display the incoming Caller ID. You can also configure the name showing on the outgoing Caller ID.
oko

Post by oko »

Barsoom wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:02 pm I just got an email called "ATM Card Payment" from Mr. Chris, the Group Managing Director of First Bank, saying "Attn: Beneficiary, Your ATM card of $5.5 million is ready for shipment. Urgently reconfirm your name, delivery address, and your direct phone number immediately. Contact payment director via email to..."

-B
I have been getting these emails since 90s. And I am surprised that some people never gets them, and some people just started getting them.

In the 90s, I was a system admin at a small company and registered the internet address with NIS with my email address. That's probably why I started getting them in 90s.
oko

Post by oko »

rich126 wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:00 pm I had a nice 6 weeks of working from home and realized how many scam calls are made to my phone. Usually I can't have a cell phone with me at work. Usually car warranties, some kind of refund or a call trying make you think you owed money. The safest thing is never answer the phone unless the number is in your contact list. If you do, maybe you were expecting a doctor to call, and it isn't that person either hang up or ask for their name and number.

No matter how important it sounds don't do it. And if you need to call the company they supposedly represent via a google search and not at the given number to verify. Also use google for what they are saying to find out if it is a likely scam.
As others said, Google Voice fixes this with "call screening". And Google Voice a free service.

You can also get home phone service from Google Voice by buying a sub-$50 gadget. And then you get free home phone for life (or as long as Google provides it). I only pay $15/year for optional E911 service for home phone.

When I tell this to friends, co-workers, they almost always say "it is too complicated". Which blows my mind. One of the people who said this is one of the smartest person I know.
rich126

Post by rich126 »

oko wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:55 am
rich126 wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:00 pm I had a nice 6 weeks of working from home and realized how many scam calls are made to my phone. Usually I can't have a cell phone with me at work. Usually car warranties, some kind of refund or a call trying make you think you owed money. The safest thing is never answer the phone unless the number is in your contact list. If you do, maybe you were expecting a doctor to call, and it isn't that person either hang up or ask for their name and number.

As others said, Google Voice fixes this with "call screening". And Google Voice a free service.

You can also get home phone service from Google Voice by buying a sub-$50 gadget. And then you get free home phone for life (or as long as Google provides it). I only pay $15/year for optional E911 service for home phone.

When I tell this to friends, co-workers, they almost always say "it is too complicated". Which blows my mind. One of the people who said this is one of the smartest person I know.
usually I do screen things but there are times when you expect a call from a doctor's office or some other place and often the number you have in your contact list isn't an exact match for the office since they may call from other lines or a cell phone.

I actually do have google voice that I use at times.
J G Bankerton

Post by J G Bankerton »

rich126 wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:25 pm usually I do screen things but there are times when you expect a call from a doctor's office or some other place and often the number you have in your contact list isn't an exact match for the office since they may call from other lines or a cell phone.
There are several numbers when displayed I will pickup most others I let the machine answer. If I hear someone leaving a message I will pickup. I'm not sure an answering machine is a good idea, it shows they have reached a working number.

If there is a maybe call I find if I pickup but don't say hello the robocalls will disconnect but real people will eventually say hello. The worst thing one can do is answer a robocall, one will wind up on every spammer's list as one who will pickup.

I notice spam calls come in wave, some days I get one or two, other days the phone never stops ringing. I also notice my land line gets way more spam calls than ether cell phone.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

J G Bankerton wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:31 pm There are several numbers when displayed I will pickup most others I let the machine answer. If I hear someone leaving a message I will pickup. I'm not sure an answering machine is a good idea, it shows they have reached a working number.
You could always play the AT&T tritone (the beeps that precede "we're sorry, your call could not be completed as dialed") at a very low volume at the start of your answering machine message so it's not really audible to people, but it would be picked up by a robo-dialer. It's a very old-school method of dealing with spam calls, but even in this day and age, where you'd think they'd put the logic in to measure the volume of the tritone to detect this old countermeasure, many dialing systems will hear the tritone and mark the call as unreachable. Here's the Wikipedia page on tritones: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_information_tones
Barsoom

Post by Barsoom »

oko wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:50 am

-B
I have been getting these emails since 90s. And I am surprised that some people never gets them, and some people just started getting them.

In the 90s, I was a system admin at a small company and registered the internet address with NIS with my email address. That's probably why I started getting them in 90s.
I was getting the Nigerian Prince emails, but that scam involved putting up a small amount of money in order to receive a windfall later.

I think this round of scams isn't asking for money, just personal contact information via a return phone call.

-B
littlebird

Post by littlebird »

I got an alert from Discover Card which indicated that a credit check had been made on me by the Small Business Administration. ?? I called Discover, which transferred me to Experion. They said they were putting a fraud alert on my account at all three services, as well as sending a fraud alert to the SBA. They said this would cause anyone about to extend credit in my name for the next year to call the phone number I provided to Experion. This seems satisfactory to me. I do not feel inclined to freeze my credit, since I’m sure I’ll have trouble unfreezing if I ever need to. And I resent the way this whole system is set up, with me as a commodity. The agent told me this SBA fraud has become very common.
Dan999

Attempted scam of Senior Citizens

Post by Dan999 »

A fellow CCRC resident's email address book was hacked and the scammer sent an email to all his contacts, many of which of over 80 and residents in a CCRC.
I got the email and challenged it with some personal questions that only the real resident would be able to correctly answer. No response, so I called the resident and he said it was the 4th call he got on this. I told him his email was hacked and he should sent a blanket email to everyone in his address book, to ignore the request for a favor shown below.
He said some of his friends had gotten texts also.
The CCRC sent out a blanket phone call to alert all residents of the scam. Hopefully no one got taken. It was 4 hours between the time the email was sent and when I got the call.
The problem is, that we usually like to help a neighbor or friend when they need a favor. But we must verify that the request is valid.
Below is the request, which contains some grammar and context errors, so that was a clue right there.

"Glad to hear from you. I am sorry for bothering you with this mail. I need to get an eBay Gift card for my Niece As her birthday gift, but I can't do this now because I'm currently stuck out of the town at the moment and I tried purchasing online but sadly no luck with that. I would appreciate it if you could help me purchase the cards from any nearby CVS or Groceries Stores. I'll pay back as soon as I return. Please let me know if you can handle this."

Be careful out there.

To paraphrase Toby Keith, "I'm not as sharp as I once was, but I'm sharper than I'm gonna be."
Last edited by Dan999 on Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Dan999
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ I merged Dan999's post into the on-going discussion.
cheese_breath

Re: Attempted scam of Senior Citizens

Post by cheese_breath »

Dan999 wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:35 pm ....To paraphrase Toby Keith, "I not as sharp as I once was, but I'm sharper than I'm gonna be."
Or to quote me, "I never was as smart as I thought I was."
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
OrderAndChaos

Re: Attempted scam of Senior Citizens

Post by OrderAndChaos »

Dan999 wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:35 pm Below is the request, which contains some grammar and context errors, so that was a clue right there.

"Glad to hear from you. I am sorry for bothering you with this mail. I need to get an eBay Gift card for my Niece As her birthday gift, but I can't do this now because I'm currently stuck out of the town at the moment and I tried purchasing online but sadly no luck with that. I would appreciate it if you could help me purchase the cards from any nearby CVS or Groceries Stores. I'll pay back as soon as I return. Please let me know if you can handle this."
Unfortunately, many times these errors are intentional. They weed out those attuned to scams. If a mark gets an email filled with red flags and responds anyway, they are much more likely to fall victim to whatever scam is being perpetrated.
Barsoom

Post by Barsoom »

I just got a landline phone call with the caller ID of "Texas Children's Hospital." When I picked it up, it was a robocall for extended warranties for my car.

The caller ID spoofing is getting pretty sad if they have to resort to stealing children's hospitals to get people to answer the phone.

-B
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

Barsoom wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:54 pm I just got a landline phone call with the caller ID of "Texas Children's Hospital." When I picked it up, it was a robocall for extended warranties for my car.

The caller ID spoofing is getting pretty sad if they have to resort to stealing children's hospitals to get people to answer the phone.

-B
I get a lot of extended warranty calls (and a lot of USPS mail offers for same) too. Frequently Nomorobo doesn't catch them due to the number spoofing.
In those cases I block them on my panasonic landline phone. I've probably got 30 or more blocked, which shows me its a spoofed number that keeps changing. I do occasionally wonder if I'll someday get a call from the legitimate owner of the number and its blocked. Guess they'll have to send me a letter?

In a similar vein we have Aetna Medicare coverage which has an outreach program that pays you for certain tests and visits. We get a couple of calls a week from a number showing up as them, but it gets blocked by Nomorobo. Its not the main claims number but another number. I guess they keep calling since they can't get through trying to get us to get an annual exam, etc. I learned it was actually them accidently by having to call them and for some reason remembering the easy 800 number. I told them about the Nomorobo blocking. They did not seen interested. I've filed with Nomorobo twice over the last several months flagging the number as incorrectly coded as spam.

I use google messages as my tex\ting program since I have a compatible pixel phone. Works great except there's only a limited ability to block spam texts. I get several week all calling me "Doja" at my cell number. All trying to get me to click on "your credit score changed", or "you appear in abandoned property records",etc. Each from a different number. I can't find anyway to filter for "Doja" so I block each individually.

Any hints appreciated. I've searched online for filtering texts in google Messages to no avail.
Last edited by heartwood on Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
palanzo

Post by palanzo »

J G Bankerton wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:39 pm
Barsoom wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:20 pmtook down the phone number in the email and said their fraud team works to have those phone numbers shut down.
Remember when the public demanded free long distance? Well we have it, people can call from anywhere in the world and spoof a number. That number will trace back to a land that is far away and not worth the effort to track them down.

I do not answer my phone anymore, I use txt 99% of the time.
Spoofing a number has nothing to do with free long distance. It's inherent in the lack of security in the design of the telephone system. Just like the internet was not designed with security in mind.
jerryk68

Post by jerryk68 »

Since this pandemic started we have been grounded at home because we push all the buttons for a bad outcome. So being bored, I started answering the approximately 6 scam calls on the house phone that we get a day and I play along with what they are selling. The phone use to be a Verizon number but is now a google voice number. We rarely get scam calls on our cell phones and use the house number as our main contact phone.

The scam callers usually have a recording of the proposal and I only respond if I only have to press #1 or #2 and never call them back. Lower electric cost, lower credit card balance, IRS, Amazon and Microsoft are just few and we even got a call from a person claiming to be my grandson who needed financial help. My goal in answering the calls is to keep them on the phone for as long as possible by saying I needed to go up stairs to get whatever information they request. In the beginning, I would just hang up the phone after 15 or 20 minutes but then I changed my tactics and get back on the phone usually in 3 to 5 minutes later and say I need additional time to get the information but if they call me tomorrow I will waste more of their time. Most times they just hang up but a few times the scammer will make negative comments of my scam.

In the last week or so the number of calls have dropped significantly to a couple last week none so far yesterday and today. I doubt very much that my scamming the scammers is the cause in the slow down of calls but sometime must have happened. Just wondering if others have experienced a similar drop off.
wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette »

mptfan wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:24 pm
I use Paypal whenever I can as I never have to give out my card number to any merchants. Never been scammed in 20 years using Paypal..
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

Know of a case where imposters posed as Geek Squad on phone, accessed persons PC, told person they needed to purchase best buy gift cards on Amazon to purchase Best Buy "part" to fix PC, then they got the gift card numbers.
Colorado13

Post by Colorado13 »

I received a phone call/voice measage askimg me to call a 563 area code regarding fraudulent activity on my Social Security account. It was a poorly worded VM, which referenced their intent to begin legal proceedings regarding the fraud.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

To avoid anyone misinterpreting the intent, I removed a coronavirus scam that was intended to be a humorous.
meebers

Post by meebers »

Some of these pandemic scams are hilarious, they are turning into a pundemic :D
Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP »

When business was slow during the worst of Covid, I became a scam baiter. I did answer and engage and posted online the most interesting calls. The best was having a tech online taking over my old XP machine with files "showing" my credit card and other so-called personal information. It was cheap entertainment and wasted their time that they couldn't scam others. There are a ton of people doing what I was doing and I corresponded with a couple of the better ones.

That's one reason I always post the real numbers that people call from, if I can call back and reach them.
When I tire of this, I turn on Jolly Rodger telephone and it intercepts most of the scam calls and sends it to a bot -- some calls have lasted as little as 15 seconds; others 10-15 minutes. The recordings are amusing to listen to.
nydoc

Post by nydoc »

These days I answer these calls and once the real scammer comes to the phone I hand my phone to my two year old daughter. It keeps her entertained for a couple of minutes before the scammer hangs up.
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

Rob5TCP wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:20 pm When business was slow during the worst of Covid, I became a scam baiter. I did answer and engage and posted online the most interesting calls. The best was having a tech online taking over my old XP machine with files "showing" my credit card and other so-called personal information. It was cheap entertainment and wasted their time that they couldn't scam others. There are a ton of people doing what I was doing and I corresponded with a couple of the better ones.

That's one reason I always post the real numbers that people call from, if I can call back and reach them.
When I tire of this, I turn on Jolly Rodger telephone and it intercepts most of the scam calls and sends it to a bot -- some calls have lasted as little as 15 seconds; others 10-15 minutes. The recordings are amusing to listen to.
Wonderful, if I have nothing better to do, I like engaging them and wasting their time as well.

I'm impressed with using a bot and that there are others who do the same. I think we need more people out there wasting the time of scammers. Make them actually work for their money.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79939&start=400#p5275418
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

I received an email the other day claiming to want to buy an old hobbyist site of mine. My thought was "who'd want to buy that old thing? it must be spear phishing" so I inspected it with just a text editor instead of opening it in the web-client my ISP provides (it has an option to do this, although I'm sure very few people are aware of it). The email contained nothing but HTML wrapping an embedded image with a hex string in the filename. I've been too busy at work to inspect it further (two people quit and we can't replace them due to a hiring freeze), but it did seem rather suspicious.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

Mudpuppy wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:49 am I received an email the other day claiming to want to buy an old hobbyist site of mine. My thought was "who'd want to buy that old thing? it must be spear phishing" so I inspected it with just a text editor instead of opening it in the web-client my ISP provides (it has an option to do this, although I'm sure very few people are aware of it). The email contained nothing but HTML wrapping an embedded image with a hex string in the filename. I've been too busy at work to inspect it further (two people quit and we can't replace them due to a hiring freeze), but it did seem rather suspicious.
Usually, the name is an index to who you are (the email the image was sent to), so if you pulled the image, they'll know you received it. In rare situations, it could be malware.

https://umbrella.cisco.com/blog/picture ... es-malware

I hope the network, ISP and other infrastructure is detecting and eliminating these types of threats. And the antivirus on the PC intervenes.

I used to block images, partly for security, but mostly for the slow downloads, and nowadays, too many legitimate businesses are using images in email that it's inconvenient to do that. Would need a mailer app that could whitelist contacts and only block images from unknown senders. Is there such a mailer or browser addon? Or some way of doing that with Yahoo or Gmail?