Approx. cost of 2 new garage doors?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
newbie003

Approx. cost of 2 new garage doors?

Post by newbie003 »

I need to replace our 2 very old (8' x 7') doors.

Includes new frames/rollers/etc... Does not include new openers as those are not that old.

Fell in love with a nice steel with vinyl overlay door (carriage style with bigger windows) but it's over $4k for 2 doors. These are 1.875" thick with 26 gauge steel, 6.7 R value. Lancaster model by General Doors.

A similar style but stamped steel (so not nearly as nice looking but still has the bigger windows) is $3k for 2 doors. These are just 1.375" thick but same 6.7 R value and 26 gauge steel. Advantage Carriage House.

A similar style to the $3k doors, but with smaller windows is $2,400. Also 1.375", 26 gauge and 6.7 R value. Advantage Estate.

I'm in the northeast, not a heated garage, they have some other models with R value of 12 or 18, but we're not interested in those styles.

While I agree that $4k+ (and even $3k) is a lot for 2 doors, are the prices reasonable given what I've described?

Checking the HD website it seems that even the cheapest of doors they offer are almost $1k (with windows), so at least $2k for 2 doors, and those are basic looking doors. Their carriage house style doors get up to the same $3k or $4k quote that I received.

Thank you.
Scrapr

Re: Approx. cost of 2 new garage doors?

Post by Scrapr »

Am I missing something? $2-4k? You shopped a few installers and got quotes. At some point it is what it is. Seems reasonable to me. But every market is different. If you are unsure about the installer or something else maybe shop some more. Perhaps you can find a $8k door with coffee maker accessory that you love and can't live without.

*I was going to guess $2500 for a very plain door.
Conch55

Post by Conch55 »

Upgraded our garage doors years ago and are happy with better insulation and appearance. The installation was the key. The company installing the doors didn't complete the original effort to our satisfaction but follow on work was good. My takeaway is that is the most important thing. Doors and openers are pretty standard.
Sconie

Post by Sconie »

Since the garage is unheated, I wouldn't "give a whiff" about R value.....
I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. - Alan Greenspan
finfire

Post by finfire »

are the prices reasonable given what I've described? Yes
Topic Author
newbie003

Post by newbie003 »

Conch55 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:19 pm Upgraded our garage doors years ago and are happy with better insulation and appearance. The installation was the key. The company installing the doors didn't complete the original effort to our satisfaction but follow on work was good. My takeaway is that is the most important thing. Doors and openers are pretty standard.
Thanks and am working with a highly recommend/reputable local company for the install, I just want to make sure the pricing seems ok. The door we like looks something like this (https://www.homedepot.com/p/Clopay-Coac ... /204598563), so it seems that the price we were quoted is on par with what this type of door costs (plus the door we're looking at is better quality and includes installation...).

So I think I know the answer to my question, but am just making sure.
Topic Author
newbie003

Post by newbie003 »

dbapaddy wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:24 pm are the prices reasonable given what I've described? Yes
Thank you
Jazzysoon

Post by Jazzysoon »

If you are planning on being in the house for awhile, buy the doors you fell in love with. Especially if your garage door is prominent in the front of the house. If you try to save a thousand or so, you'll regret it every time you drive up the driveway. And yes to the larger windows, if you do any work in the garage, the natural light is nice.
Sandi_k

Post by Sandi_k »

We replaced both of ours last year - one a standard 2 car garage door, and one RV height. It was ~ $5k for both.
megabad

Post by megabad »

newbie003 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:17 pm are the prices reasonable given what I've described?
Seems to make sense to me. I hired a guy off facebook to a do a single door and it ran me about $300 labor with me helping him and the door was about $500 (I could have gotten a standard one for $250 but I wanted windows like you). Took a while to get the tension springs/alignment right.

If I had to estimate it for a commercial company:
Doors: $500 x 2 = $1,000
Labor: 2 guys x 6 hours x $50/hr = $600
So total of $1600 x 1.4 (O&P/markup) = $2,240

This is pretty close to your $2,400 number. Now on the upgrades, they will probably be charging you the most (maybe 100% markup instead of 40%), but I still think the numbers are in the range of reasonable.

PS. If you care about longevity and if you can get a 24 gauge option for a reasonable price I would. My old doors failed because of the thin steel basically ripping.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Had 2 doors replaced December 2018

9’x7’ Wayne Dalton model 9700 (r10)
14’ radius track
White, Hampton panel, no windows
Installed & haul away, dispose of old doors
$2700.00

I’m in Oregon so no sales tax.
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

I paid $6k for two aluminum and frosted glass doors.

I was hesitant to spend that sort of money, but they look great. Especially at night with the lights on.
SoAnyway

Post by SoAnyway »

Scrapr wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:05 pm *I was going to guess $2500 for a very plain door.
+1. OP, your quotes are within range. (I'm also in the NE.) Don't overthink it.
Every consumer purchase requires a balance of time/cost/quality tradeoffs. If you have the time to search further to save a few more bucks (what's YOUR time worth?) and have enough knowledge to quickly evaluate quality, maybe it's worth looking further. If not, then not.
Nothing in this post constitutes legal or medical advice. | Consult your attorney or physician to verify if/how anything stated might or might not be applicable to your specific situation.
papiper

Post by papiper »

I bought mine from Lowes (Pella) and did it myself for about $700. They are single door - double wide. Honestly, if I was doing it the second time, it would be okay to do it myself, but he first time had such a high learning curve over what should have been simple stuff that I would have been better off paying for it. Doing it with two people instead of by myself would have helped too. I do almost every project myself, but garage doors aren't worth the hassle in my opinion.
Buford T Justice

Post by Buford T Justice »

Watch out for "add-ons", "upcharges" / "this not a standard installation" rhetoric some installers use after you think you've locked in a price.