What is this weed in my lawn?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
indexfundfan

What is this weed in my lawn?

Post by indexfundfan » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:15 pm

This weed has been growing in my lawn (Bermudagrass, still mostly dormant). Looks like goosegrass to me but it is probably too early in the season for it. I am hoping someone can identify it and recommend a selective post-emergent herbicide to get rid of it. Thanks!

Click image to zoom:
Last edited by indexfundfan on Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My signature has been deleted.

bloom2708

Re: What is this weed?

Post by bloom2708 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:32 pm

Here we would call that Quack Grass. If I search on Goose Grass, it does look like that.

It is not Crab Grass. I think Crab Grass is the dark green round short/thick/fine patches that grow.
Last edited by bloom2708 on Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We are not here to agree with you; we are here to provoke thoughtfulness." Unknown Boglehead

PoultryMan

Post by PoultryMan » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:36 pm

patrick013

Post by patrick013 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:29 pm

Try a small amount of coffee. Enough to wet the roots. If that doesn't work try a small amount of grapefruit juice. Plants usually hate anything liquid except rainwater.
age in bonds, buy-and-hold, 10 year business cycle

Topic Author
indexfundfan

Post by indexfundfan » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:35 pm

Thanks.

If it is indeed goosegrass, sulfentrazone could be useful. I had sprayed Spectracide Weed Stop for Lawns (it includes Sulfentrazone) on the above weeds. It seemed to damage the weeds but did not kill them (yet?). Maybe I should put a second application or use a stronger version (Dismiss).

HEDGEFUNDIE

Post by HEDGEFUNDIE » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:50 pm

How about this one?

alpenglow

Post by alpenglow » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:53 pm

HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:50 pm
How about this one?
It's a Euphorbia.
Last edited by alpenglow on Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:54 pm

In Hawaii where there's lot's of Bermuda Grass lawns, it's been called Nut Grass. Hard to dig out because it leaves little nut things on runners that keep sprouting up. Not sure. Maybe. Looks like it.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

Topic Author
indexfundfan

Post by indexfundfan » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:56 pm

HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:
How about this one?
That's a broad leaf weed. Any herbicide with 2,4-D Amine should handle it.

It's the grassy weeds that are usually harder to handle.

HEDGEFUNDIE

Post by HEDGEFUNDIE » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:04 pm

alpenglow wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:53 pm
HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:
How about this one?
It's a Euphorbia.
Thanks, it looks pretty, I may just keep it.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:47 pm

Sandtrap wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:54 pm
In Hawaii where there's lot's of Bermuda Grass lawns, it's been called Nut Grass. Hard to dig out because it leaves little nut things on runners that keep sprouting up. Not sure. Maybe. Looks like it.
While I don't think it is Kyllinga or NutSedge which have the little nut/nodules on runners, both Kyllinga and NutSedge are specifically killed by Ortho Nutsedge Killer which leaves StAugustine grass that it touches unchanged. It is amazing in that regard as other weed killers will affect St Augustine especially if temps are above 80 deg F. (Yes, I know this thread is about bermuda grass.)

Sulfentrazone is the active ingredient of Ortho Nutsedge Killer. I spot treat kyllinga and nutsedge when old nodules grow up by spraying a small amount on the weed held in a my gloved hand. I rub the herbicide that ends up on the glove on the weed and keep it away from the grass. There is no point in pulling up kyllinga nor nutsedge as it will just grow right back. I throw away the disposable glove as hazardous waste.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Pigeye Brewster

Post by Pigeye Brewster » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:45 pm

livesoft wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:47 pm
Sandtrap wrote:
While I don't think it is Kyllinga or NutSedge which have the little nut/nodules on runners, both Kyllinga and NutSedge are specifically killed by Ortho Nutsedge Killer which leaves StAugustine grass that it touches unchanged. It is amazing in that regard as other weed killers will affect St Augustine especially if temps are above 80 deg F. (Yes, I know this thread is about bermuda grass.)

Sulfentrazone is the active ingredient of Ortho Nutsedge Killer. I spot treat kyllinga and nutsedge when old nodules grow up by spraying a small amount on the weed held in a my gloved hand. I rub the herbicide that ends up on the glove on the weed and keep it away from the grass. There is no point in pulling up kyllinga nor nutsedge as it will just grow right back. I throw away the disposable glove as hazardous waste.
If it's nutsedge or kyllinga and the Ortho Nutsedge Killer doesn't get rid of it, hit it with Sedgehammer.

Gnirk

Post by Gnirk » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:08 pm

alpenglow wrote:
HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:
How about this one?
It's a Euphorbia.
Dang, I hate this stuff....pull it out, and it comes back twice as bad,

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:19 pm

toofache32

Post by toofache32 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:38 pm

whodidntante wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:19 pm

Glad to know I was not the only one let down after reading the title of the thread.

Topic Author
indexfundfan

Post by indexfundfan » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:46 pm

toofache32 wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:38 pm
whodidntante wrote:

Glad to know I was not the only one let down after reading the title of the thread.
I re-titled the thread. :-)

InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:40 pm

alpenglow wrote:
HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:
How about this one?
It's a Euphorbia.
Kill it. Carefully -
"the plants share the feature of having a poisonous, milky, white, latex-like sap, and unusual and unique floral structures"

Not sure if it's the same variety that we have here, but it is invasive. I've seen recommendations to wear both gloves and goggles while removing it.

iamlucky13

Re: What is this weed in my lawn?

Post by iamlucky13 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:07 am

Regarding the first question - the pink roots with laterals (rhizomes) look like a signature for quackgrass (Elymus repens?)

A fairly strong glyphosate application should kill the tops, but it's difficult to fully eradicate, because the roots store up sugars to either grow those laterals, or recover from damage. It supposedly can slowly be crowded out by turf grasses if the turf grass is healthy enough and kept regularly mowed.

It should have a different growing season than bermuda grass, so you may be able to stop the initial growth with glyphosate without seriously harming the bermuda grass if the latter is still dormant, but please try to confirm that on your own - I'm not really familiar with bermuda grass. If acceptable, that should help set the quack grass back so its easier for the bermuda grass to dominate during the mowing season. If the quack grass is kept persistently mowed and shaded by your turf grass, the roots should gradually be depleted.

The same applies to pulling. You set it back, but the roots that usually break off and remain in the soil will come back unless and until they are depleted.

Gufomel

Post by Gufomel » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:02 am

indexfundfan wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:46 pm
toofache32 wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:38 pm
whodidntante wrote:

I re-titled the thread. :-)
I wasn’t going to post, but now I’m intrigued. What was the original title?

livesoft

Re: Can I smoke this weed?

Post by livesoft » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:04 am

Gufomel wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:02 am
I wasn’t going to post, but now I’m intrigued. What was the original title?
It was "Can I smoke this weed?"

fru-gal

Post by fru-gal » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:10 am

If you're throwing herbicides on your lawn, please be sure that they are not toxic to bees, as, for example, Roundup is:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 174506.htm

alpenglow

Post by alpenglow » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:59 am

By the way, this subreddit is great for plant ID:

https://www.reddit.com/r/whatsthisplant/

Rus In Urbe

Post by Rus In Urbe » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:11 am

+1000

Please don't use Roundup----for your own health, if not for its toxicity to everything else.

Use Agricultural Vinegar as a weed-killer. You can find it on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=agricultural ... _sb_noss_1

Agricultural Vinegar is Non-toxic, pretty cheap, works better than those chemicals.
None of the big chem companies want you to know about Agricultural Vinegar (Monsanto, I'm looking at you).

Spot kill the bad patches. After they die down, dig it up and replace with sod or re-seed.
I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money. ~Pablo Picasso

GrowthSeeker

Post by GrowthSeeker » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:45 am

I would have just called it crab grass, but from what others have said I guess I am wrong.
I would have also said the way to control (too late for this year if you already have it) is with a pre-emergent herbicide to be placed “when the forsythias bloom” whenever that is. But I am not an expert in this “field”; pun intended.
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you.

Topic Author
indexfundfan

Post by indexfundfan » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:50 am

No, it is not crab grass (it's also too early in the season). Crab grass is relatively easy to deal with; quinclorac specifically targets crab grass very effectively.

I wouldn't put a non-selective herbicide at this point because I want the Bermudagrass to survive. I think I am going to re-apply sulfentrazone and see how it works out. I believe it did have an effect because the stems turned from white to purple, albeit only after many days.

TBillT

Post by TBillT » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:58 am

livesoft wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:47 pm
Sandtrap wrote:

We have the Kyllinga weed which is one helluva problem...no, but I dunno but that looks like a coarse turf grass of some kind to me K31 or something. I'd say Bermuda grass also, which my neighbor hates...I guess a prior owner plopped some Bermuda grass into their blue grass lawn, and they cannot get rid of it even after resod. Me if it's green I am OK, but the Kyllinga proved me worng there, I had half a lawn of Kyllinga

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:44 am

TBillT wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:58 am
I had half a lawn of Kyllinga
I used to dread seeing it, but now it is a trivial weed to kill with the right herbicide. It may take a few years to get rid of all the latent nodules buried in the ground that sprout up, but eventually one will get them all as long as they don't let the kyllinga go to seed.

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:29 pm

fru-gal wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:10 am
If you're throwing herbicides on your lawn, please be sure that they are not toxic to bees, as, for example, Roundup is:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 174506.htm
When used as prescribed, glyphosate is not acutely toxic to bees (except, no doubt in very high doses), but the research your link describes does indicate there are subtoxic effects that likely make them more vulnerable to infection. At the same time, lawns are not likely to be the main exposure environment for bees, but there should no doubt be more concern in orchards and gardens.

It seems like a situation of choosing your application wisely. There appears to be a lot information here that may be worth reviewing (I haven't read it thoroughly):

https://pesticidestewardship.org/pollin ... y-to-bees/
Rus In Urbe wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:11 am
Agricultural Vinegar is Non-toxic, pretty cheap, works better than those chemicals.
None of the big chem companies want you to know about Agricultural Vinegar (Monsanto, I'm looking at you).
Please be careful about advice you give on matters of safety like chemical toxicity.

Vinegar definitely is toxic ( MSDS) at high doses, and in fact a bit more so to animals than glyphosate. It also takes much heavier application of vinegar to achieve the same level of effect on most plants than glyphosate, although I'm sure the precautions needed to apply it safely are reasonable. I would rate safe storage around pets and children as the bigger concern. Probably most importantly, because of its acidity, concentrated vinegar is a significantly more serious skin and eye hazard than glyphosate.

Vinegar does have good effectiveness (and is fast acting, as I understand it) against annuals by shear blunt effect of the acid burn, which is why agricultural vinegar is distilled to 20% acetic acid concentration, instead of the safer 5% household vinegar is sold at. It tends to have limited effectiveness against roots, often allowing hardier plants to recover effectively even after fully destroying the top of the plant.

Monsanto's interests aside, the utility of vinegar as a herbicide is not a secret (numerous state extension departments have published information on it), and the bulk chemical companies that produce most of the world's vinegar probably include several that do not also produce dedicated herbicides. In other words, there are almost certainly big chemical companies with a major financial interest in selling vinegar as an alternative to glyphosate, if they can be cost-competitive, and who therefore do want you to know about agricultural use of vinegar.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:34 pm

Don't use roundup. It will also kill your yard along with the weed! (Don't ask me how I know...)

patrick013

Post by patrick013 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:35 pm

Rus In Urbe wrote:
Most people would prefer a solution other than a variety of chemicals.

If I squirt my dandelions with a bit of orange juice around the bottom near the roots in a few days they fall over dead. The roots just can't digest citric acid I guess.
age in bonds, buy-and-hold, 10 year business cycle

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:39 pm

Anyone know how to get rid of Star of Bethlehem weed?
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

ohai

Post by ohai » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:41 pm

Can't you just pay your kids $5 to pull it? Kind of remember that's what people do.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:44 pm

jebmke wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:39 pm
Anyone know how to get rid of Star of Bethlehem weed?
Google knows. One has to put in 2 years of diligent work though:
http://hyg.ipm.illinois.edu/article.php?id=448
If you are looking at "spray 'em and I'm done", then there is no such thing for most weeds.

Ged

Post by Ged » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:39 pm

sunny_socal wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:34 pm
Don't use roundup. It will also kill your yard along with the weed! (Don't ask me how I know...)
Yes, RoundUp is a broad spectrum herbicide. The only places you would use is on an area where you wanted to kill all plants.

As far as the article:

https://www.pnas.org/content/115/41/10305

It is highly speculative. The actual problem with honeybees is a drop in colony overwinter survival rates which began in 2006, which is long after the introduction and wide use of glyphosate began in 1974.

drawpoker

Post by drawpoker » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:56 pm

Rus In Urbe wrote:
Use Agricultural Vinegar as a weed-killer. You can find it on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=agricultural ... _sb_noss_1
Yes, but what is the ratio/formula for diluting the concentrate of this 30% vinegar w/water to use on weeds? :?