verification problem when requesting credit report

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
ketanco

verification problem when requesting credit report

Post by ketanco » Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:55 pm

I am US citizen living in foreign country. I received a scam call last week and called equifax to put credit freeze but they said they could not verify me, even before asking any verification questions. I then wanted to get my credit report from annualcreditreport.com but also that system cannot verify me. Why do you think? They keep asking US address but since few years I live outside the US. May be that is why? Equifax told me to send my IDs to them by fax or mail which I will do tomorrow. (But I was able to put fraud alert by Transunion at least)

Also, does this mean, if I return to US, and want to rent an apartment a landlord can not check my credit score etc? Or that works differently and they can check, even if I have these verification problems myself? That (renting apartment) is the critical thing for me if I return to US. I will not need to apply any credit card or loan etc... at least for the near future...

Also it has been several years since I last time saw my credit report, last time I did it was may be in 2014 etc, when I lived in the US.

megabad

Re: verification problem when requesting credit report

Post by megabad » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:07 pm

ketanco wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:55 pm
I am US citizen living in foreign country. I received a scam call last week and called equifax to put credit freeze but they said they could not verify me, even before asking any verification questions. I then wanted to get my credit report from annualcreditreport.com but also that system cannot verify me. Why do you think? They keep asking US address but since few years I live outside the US. May be that is why? Equifax told me to send my IDs to them by fax or mail which I will do tomorrow. (But I was able to put fraud alert by Transunion at least)

Also, does this mean, if I return to US, and want to rent an apartment a landlord can not check my credit score etc? Or that works differently and they can check, even if I have these verification problems myself? That (renting apartment) is the critical thing for me if I return to US. I will not need to apply any credit card or loan etc... at least for the near future...

Also it has been several years since I last time saw my credit report, last time I did it was may be in 2014 etc, when I lived in the US.
I am not sure whether you can freeze credit via international phone or not, but it makes sense if you cannot. I would think you would have better luck online.

The online systems failing to identify you is common (at least for me it is). I can usually try a few times and get different questions and pass the test so recommend trying a few times first. The key is not to answer the questions correctly but to answer them as the credit bureaus would expect you to. It helps to have an old credit report in front of you when you do (which of course is sort of a Catch 22 for you). If Equifax doesn't know you left the country, than you didn't. If Transunion still thinks you live at your childhood home from 40 years ago, than you do. If you are older, these questions can be very difficult to get "right". I once had a verification question that read something like "did you apply for a loan from XX XX XX X in 2014." Literally a loan from XX XX XX X. The answer was apparently yes (I guessed since I new I had applied for loans in whatever year that was).

You not being able to check your credit would have no impact on a landlord or lender running your credit. If you freeze your credit though, you will have to thaw it.